Moving Threads?

dcdeb

Which Threads Should We Move to Members Only?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which Threads Should We Move to Members Only?

• Don't move any of the threads; leave them where they are!
    • Move the long discussion threads, like The Oldlings, This One's for Us Girls, etc.
    • Move the country threads, like the Australian Thread, the Spanish Thread, and so on.
    • Move all the project threads (birthday present, yearbook, mugs, miscellaneous other projects...)
    • Move all the suggested threads.

So you've probably noticed by now that the "Members Only" section of

the site is truly for Members Only -- if you're not a signed in, registered user,

you can't access that part of the site. By popular demand,

we're going to make that the

case for member profiles, too (or maybe StandardToaster has already done

that -- I didn't check yet this morning).

Now that we have made this section more private, it's been suggested

that we move a number of threads there, so that only registered users

can read them. Here are some of the suggestions for threads to be

moved into the Members Only Discussions subforum:

-- all the project threads (birthday present thread, and all its offshoots, etc.)

-- all the country threads (Aussie thread, Spanish thread, etc.)

-- all the long discussion threads (Oldlings, This One's for Us Girls...)

If we move all of these threads, we'll be taking a huge chunk out of

the General Chinwagging section. I can't see why this would really be

a problem for anyone -- if you're actively involved any of the threads I've

mentioned you already are a registered user. But we just thought we'd

ask to get your opinions on whether we should make these moves.

Take a look at the attached poll, vote, share your thoughts here... I'll

keep this running just until the end of the week to get an idea of

what you all think...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the Poll deb? Maybe you're still creating it? :naughty:

Yes, I was -- got sidetracked in the middle of doing it. Sorry. :blush-anim-cl:

It's there now, and you can choose multiple answers. :thumb_yello:

But please don't choose move them all and leave them all alone at the

same time! :blink::naughty:

dcdeb

ok I'm gonna vote:naughty:

I thought about putting it in the Members Only section, but that seemed

odd, since I was asking about whether to move things there... I know...

it's complicated :naughty:

dcdeb

I think move all the suggested.

It may open up Chin Wagging to more conversation (new threads), once it can be seen clearly. I think that'll allow us to interact more, even in different time zones. Ecen if it's a slow-moving forum, that will actually give us time to catch up with other members, other than immediately going to our own designated, sectional threads.

So if everything is moved, Chin Wagging may look a little empty now, but it will fill up and in the long roun, possible make a more united MFC.

Hmmm - it's likely going to lower the number of "guests" and "bots" visiting or lurking if we move more threads into the Members section, which is a good thing.

Is there any drawbacks? What do we have to lose by moving them all?

if we move threads in the members only area, MIKA will be obliged to log in with a nick to read them (and also the band, family, managers....)

i really don't mind if the threads are visible to guests...but i'd like Mika to be free to lurk wherever he wants cause this is HIS fanclub. And maybe he does not want to register with a nickname...we know by past events how this (and it was only a guessing game...) can lead to excessive fuss towards the supposed mika's nickname....

more i don't think moving the country threads (at least the ones written in different languages) is a good idea...ppl lurking and wondering if they will register or not may want to read something in their own language before deciding what to do, in case they do not speak english fluently.

i vote for not moving any threads to the members only, just our member profiles AND special contents, members' videos and pictures taken at gigs or stuff of this kind., and of course leave there what already is.

I'm torn between moving none and moving only projects, but I voted for moving projects.

I'm kind of all for open-ness. People considering becoming members like to be able to check the place out a bit first, and If they can't see anything, that might piss them off a bit :bleh: I don't like this as a tactic to make people sign up because then (and it will happen as a result of the private member section anyway) we'll end up with a lot more zero-post members.

I for one like a good lurky perve before I join in on anything. Private myspace profiles for example annoy me to no extent :roftl:

Anyway, back to the topic, regardless of privateness, The country and long-discussion threads ARE just chin-wagging, so it seems like where they should stay to me...

But I think moving project threads would be a good idea. They are kind of in a league of their own amongst other thread-types, so If they had their own section it might be a good idea. But I'm torn over whether that section should be in members only or public. ... because on the one hand, new members might be attracted by the multitude of fantastic projects, but on the other hand, it keeps the nosey-nosey's that the projects are FOR a little bit more out of the loop (or at least they have to sign in to perve on their presents). :bleh:

if we move threads in the members only area, MIKA will be obliged to log in with a nick to read them (and also the band, family, managers....)

i really don't mind if the threads are visible to guests...but i'd like Mika to be free to lurk wherever he wants cause this is HIS fanclub. And maybe he does not want to register with a nickname...we know by past events how this (and it was only a guessing game...) can lead to excessive fuss towards the supposed mika's nickname....

more i don't think moving the country threads (at least the ones written in different languages) is a good idea...ppl lurking and wondering if they will register or not may want to read something in their own language before deciding what to do, in case they do not speak english fluently.

i vote for not moving any threads to the members only, just our member profiles AND special contents, members' videos and pictures taken at gigs or stuff of this kind., and of course leave there what already is.

Robi - Mika (and anyone else) can always be "invisible" - like I am right now.:naughty: (Because I'm supposed to be working).

But I can understand your argument for the individual country threads. :thumb_yello:

Robi - Mika (and anyone else) can always be "invisible" - like I am right now.:naughty: (Because I'm supposed to be working).

But I can understand your argument for the individual country threads. :thumb_yello:

after one year...i don't even know the basic elements of this site....:blush-anim-cl:

how oldlingish! :naughty:

I think this is a really good point, one I'd not considered before. Thanks,

Robi! :)

moving longer threads, eg the oldlings, and girls only chat certainly good idea, just a little bit of privacy. :thumb_yello:

and projects

That's been the concern -- several members have said they would

be likely to participate in the discussions more if they were more

private, not open for the whole worldwide web (includings spouses,

family members, bosses, co-workers, etc.) to see...

Robi - Mika (and anyone else) can always be "invisible" - like I am right now.:naughty: (Because I'm supposed to be working).:thumb_yello:

after one year...i don't even know the basic elements of this site....:blush-anim-cl:

how oldlingish! :naughty:

Robi, we'll talk -- and I'll tell you how you too can become *invisible* :naughty:

dcdeb

I think this is a really good point, one I'd not considered before. Thanks,

Robi! :)

That's been the concern -- several members have said they would

be likely to participate in the discussions more if they were more

private, not open for the whole worldwide web (includings spouses,

family members, bosses, co-workers, etc.) to see...

Robi, we'll talk -- and I'll tell you how you too can become *invisible* :naughty: dcdeb

i don't want to become invisible! :sneaky2:

I'm in favour of moving the country threads (it doesn't make them any harder to find, and it will be a load off my mind knowing that not just anyone could lurk and read them. A sub forum in the members only for country threads would also help newbies find them more, because they can easily get lost in the chinwagging when inactive

pls VOTE!

anyone should say something!

they cannot decide just on a bunch of MFCers opinions....

Yes, please -- bump bump bump... :thumb_yello:

dcdeb