Mika promises he will return next year after his one-off Sydney show at the Enmore

dcdeb

Promises to return next year ...

Pop sensation Mika, performing at the Australian Idol Grand Final at Sydney Opera House, will play a one-off show at the Enmore theatre tomorrow night.

* By Katherine Field

345861-mika-at-australian-idol-grand-final.jpg

VIDEO: http://player.video.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/#vTP3kYTl3WvwMfG4_zT6_ulRthf0rsqE

HE'S half Lebanese, half American, grew up in Paris, and now lives in London.

There's no wonder pop star Mika feels displaced.

The 26-year-old eccentric musician, who is in Australia for a one-off show in Sydney tomorrow night, says he doesn't know quite where he fits in.

"I am a product of many places. I don't belong anywhere in particular," Mika said in Sydney today.

"That has its disadvantages - because I feel a little bit displaced and I really don't know where I belong. The only thing that gives me a sense of belonging is wherever my family is.

"And so I wonder in the future where I'll end up."

But, on the plus side, Mika says his cosmopolitanism helped his song writing.

"I write music that is subsequently not from a particular country, not from a particular scene or sound," Mika says.

"It's an inevitable thing for me to make eclectic music because that is my background.

"It's not a choice, it's just how I write, that kind of freedom, which other people are not allowed to have."

Mika - who released his hit debut album Life in Cartoon Motion in 2007 - has a strong fan base in Australia but has only performed here once.

However, at this stage in his career, he says he's firmly concentrated on making Australia his number one and will tour here next year.

"I feel like I haven't been touring enough here - and I'm trying to change that," Mika said.

"When I first came it was such a confusing place to me, because there were so many things about it that were so familiar yet so far away. The more I come the more I love it.

"I get why artists like being here so much. You have quite an eclectic music sound."

Mika released his second album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, this year, spawning hit We Are Golden.

He's now working on new material, which will include electronic songs and "organic" tunes written more traditionally, sitting down in front of a piano.

He says much of his inspiration comes from his fascination about gender and sexuality.

"It's born out of trying to figure out who I am," Mika says, adding he's a very private person, and believes in channelling his thoughts into music.

"It's born out of this fascination with identity, in a geographic way, to the concept of sexuality, to the concept of gender to all these different things.

"It all forms what I do in my music.

"Which is ironic because I'm somebody who's famous for the rejection of labels, but I probably discuss sexuality and gender in my music more than any other artist."

Last Updated: November 23, 2009

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/music/mika-promises-he-will-return-next-year-after-his-one-off-sydney-show-at-the-enmore/story-e6frexl9-1225802338335

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice little video on that page too.

I just posted about his podcast from Hot 30 on Australian Radio

http://austereo.castmetrix.net/podcast/378302368699176761/1/Hot30MondayNovember232009.mp3 and he confirms again he is going to announce an Aussie tour in early 2010. The announcement is early 2010. The dates, no idea....

Edited by Blue Sky

Guest whalesfood

it's exciting to see him talking about new music. i don't know about it being electronic though. haha. i wonder how electronic he's talking. i know rain dwells in that and that's probably my favorite on the album but an electronic and organic album seems so awkward. it would be good! like i said rain's fantastic and all of that. maybe i'm just picturing daft punk meets whatever organic means. im picturing acoustic hippy by that word. haha.

First of all...thanks for posting...I'm happy for all the Aussies that he's finally there!:thumb_yello:

Word of the day seems to be eclectic, I don't understand so fancy words, so I looked it up this is what I get:

Eclectic=person who lacks individuality and moving with borrowed ideas and motives

philosophy:lacking originality

Does that apply to the music too!:shocked:

Or maybe it has another meaning in English?

First of all...thanks for posting...I'm happy for all the Aussies that he's finally there!:thumb_yello:

Word of the day seems to be eclectic, I don't understand so fancy words, so I looked it up this is what I get:

Eclectic=person who lacks individuality and moving with borrowed ideas and motives

Oh? :blink: I always thought it meant something like: different styles and influences rolled up into one. Tho that explanation you posted does ring a bell, he's always saying how he steals everything from everyone right :mf_rosetinted:

http://austereo.castmetrix.net/podcast/378302368699176761/1/Hot30MondayNovember232009.mp3 and he confirms again he is going to announce an Aussie tour in early 2010. The announcement is early 2010. The dates, no idea....

Oooooooh! I wil have to listen to that... And I hope he does...

Oh? :blink: I always thought it meant something like: different styles and influences rolled up into one.

Droopsy that's my understanding of the word and I would think that's what he meant here.

Oh? :blink: I always thought it meant something like: different styles and influences rolled up into one. Tho that explanation you posted does ring a bell, he's always saying how he steals everything from everyone right :mf_rosetinted:

Yes I’ve heard him say that, at least that he has a lot if influences but this explanation of the word sounds so harsh and I don't get it that Mika would be so out of own fantasies. That is why I thought maybe the word has a softer/slightly different meaning in English or in a music related way?:wink2:

I think it just means: Not just one particular style, but lots of different styles, influenced by different places and things. That would describe Mika to a tee. Another great article. I'm so happy for the Aussies. They are the kings and queens of Mikaworld atm!

I think it just means: Not just one particular style, but lots of different styles, influenced by different places and things. That would describe Mika to a tee. Another great article. I'm so happy for the Aussies. They are the kings and queens of Mikaworld atm!

Thats the way I read it too :thumb_yello:

Having real problems with this, it doesn't play, and freezes the laptop.

Can anyone get it on an avi file?

Sienna, I don't know what dictionary you were using, but I have NEVER

heard eclectic used in that way. As others have said, it means drawing

from a number of different styles, not any one style.

From Dictionary.com:

1. selecting or choosing from various sources.

2. made up of what is selected from different sources.

3. not following any one system, as of philosophy, medicine, etc., but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems.

:thumb_yello:

Sienna, I don't know what dictionary you were using, but I have NEVER

heard eclectic used in that way. As others have said, it means drawing

from a number of different styles, not any one style.

From Dictionary.com:

1. selecting or choosing from various sources.

2. made up of what is selected from different sources.

3. not following any one system, as of philosophy, medicine, etc., but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems.

:thumb_yello:

Thank you, that made a lot more sense!:thumb_yello:

The lexicon is an online lexicon which translates English/Swedish so I imagine they are not trustworthy when it comes to explain things!:biggrin2:

This one:http://tyda.se/search?form=1&w=eclectic&w_lang=&x=35&y=19

Promises to return next year ...

Pop sensation Mika, performing at the Australian Idol Grand Final at Sydney Opera House, will play a one-off show at the Enmore theatre tomorrow night.

* By Katherine Field

345861-mika-at-australian-idol-grand-final.jpg

VIDEO: http://player.video.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/#vTP3kYTl3WvwMfG4_zT6_ulRthf0rsqE

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/music/mika-promises-he-will-return-next-year-after-his-one-off-sydney-show-at-the-enmore/story-e6frexl9-1225802338335

Thanks Deb

Great video & another kewl article.

Thank you Blue Sky!

I can't get enough of Mika talking about - hmm - anything actually.