Mika makes no 30 in the AfterElton Poll!

babspanky

Mika comes in at no 30 on the AfterElton.com poll of gay male musicians!

http://www.afterelton.com/people/2011/02/top-50-gay-musicians?page=0%2C0

These days, with more and more public figures coming forward about their sexuality, it was only a matter of time that we here at AfterElton.com put together a list of the most influential and intriguing openly gay and bisexual male musicians of the past century. Compiling a list like this was no small feat.

While we’ve limited this to only 50 musicians, the number of openly gay artists far surpasses that number, and we’re sure you will likely spot an artist near and dear to your heart that we left out. Trust us that it was not done in malice. We simply tried to assemble a list of those artists we feel have been both successful in their careers while also raising awareness toward gay rights issues and giving back to the community in which they belong.

We also decided to rule out those artists whose sexuality was often rumored to be gay, but have never been confirmed by the artists themselves, take Morrissey or Liberace for example. We also decided to omit those musicians who appeared to flirt with being bisexual, but ultimately seem to consider themselves straight, such as David Bowie, or musicians who have talked in vague generalities about bisexuality but again ultimately seem clearly heterosexual, such as Green Day front man Billie Joe Armstrong.

So here we are with a list honoring those out and proud men who have paved the way for many others like them and many more who will surely come. These men have been a positive influence for GLBT youth around the world, and by their honesty they have helped shape the current climate and acceptability for being an openly gay male artist in today’s music industry.

These are artists who risked their careers to be true to their sexuality, and who make us proud to be the gay and bi men that we are.

33. Mika

British singer-songwriter, Mika released his first full-length studio album Life in Cartoon Motion in 2007, which went on to sell over 5.6 million copies worldwide and garnered him a Grammy nomination for Best Dance Recording for his hit “Love Today.” His single “Grace Kelly” reached number one in the UK and earned him the prestigious BRIT Award for Best British Breakthrough Artist. Two years later Mika’s second album The Boy Who Knew Too Much was released producing the singles “We Are Golden” and “Blame it On the Girls.” In regards to Mika’s sexuality, he has openly stated to Gay & Night magazine "I've never ever labeled myself. But having said that; I've never limited my life, I've never limited who I sleep with... Call me whatever you want. Call me bisexual, if you need a term for me

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:shocked:

How come Will Young is No15 whilst Mika is outside the Top 30?

:shun: I understand this guy has been around for almost a decade but he is basically unknown outside the UK.

Yeah but what site is this from? British? Because if it's British, I think Will Young is a bit more popular than Mika...? :dunno:

EDIT: Just seen other entrants. There are people from all over the world :aah:

EDIT 2: I didn't know Owen Pallet was gay!

:shun: I understand this guy has been around for almost a decade but he is basically unknown outside the UK.

Maybe it's down to what they say about raising awareness about gay rights issues? Maybe Will Young has done more? I don't know.:dunno:

Yeah but what site is this from? British? Because if it's British, I think Will Young is a bit more popular than Mika...? :dunno:

:lmfao: You should have figured it out Caz...:aah:

Looks like they are affiliated to LogoTV, who are American, aren't they?

Seriously?

He doesn't need to be #1 in everything, particularly if it concerns an issue he prefers not to discuss.

Blimey what kind of a fan are you?:thumbdown:

What kind of a fan am I for not stalking a musician who just happened to be used on Mika's second album? Does that make me a bad fan? :naughty:

On Twitter, he talks often about his boyfriend.:naughty:

I don't follow him :dunno:

Maybe it's down to what they say about raising awareness about gay rights issues? Maybe Will Young has done more? I don't know.:dunno:

I think Will Young has lived a more openly gay lifestyle than Mika has. I know he was with someone for a while, I don't know if he still is though.

I think Will Young has lived a more openly gay lifestyle than Mika has. I know he was with someone for a while, I don't know if he still is though.

He used to go out with Matthew Williamson, but not sure who he's with now.

:doh: so that's why I couldn't find Cliff Richard on the list.

Mika is still doing much more on this issue win his songs than that Will guy though :shun: ( :teehee: )

She never said he had to be #1, she just couldn't understand why Will Young came before Mika, that's all.

OK I'll take back the "#1" :wink2:

What surprised me was that there's a competition even on the issue who's more gay/be :blink:. MIKA does touch upon the sexual minority topic (among others) in his music, but does he really "pave the way for many others like them"?

Archived