• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from Capital radio website

Katy Perry - One Of The Boys

Sunday, 21 September 2008 22:42

Is Katy a one hit wonder or is the best yet to come?

Her album, One Of The Boys is released this week and we reckon it's easily the most instant pop album of the year and is packed full of potential hits. Read our track by track review here...

1. One Of The Boys

Things get off to a cracking start with the angsty title track on which she berates herself for being so much of a tomboy that guys think of her as a mate. 'I wanna smell like roses not a baseball team' she sings. Quite.

2. I Kissed A Girl

The song that everyone's been talking about, it's already topped the charts for multiple weeks in the UK, US and Australia. It's catchy, it's fun and is guaranteed to be remembered as one of the singles of 2008.

3. Waking Up In Vegas

A Kelly Clarkson-esque rocker on which Perry recalls her weekend 'doing a Britney' i.e. getting so wasted in Las Vegas that she's left asking the question 'did we get hitched last night?'. We especially like the 'information overload, situation lost control' breakdown.

4. Thinking Of You

The inevitable ballad, but it's actually a cracking song, written about longing after that person who got away, even when you're with someone new. 'Cos when I'm with him, I'm thinking of you' she sings mournfully. Definitely single material.

5. Mannequin

'You're not a man, you're just a mannequin' sings Katy on this mid-tempo pop rocker about a man who keeps his emotions hidden.

6. Ur So Gay

Vocally she sounds like a cross between Lily Allen and Natasha Bedingfield on this one. It's another track that's caused its fair share of controversy and we guarantee it'll get lodged in your head because of the repetitive whistling.

7. Hot N Cold

This one has the distinctive stamp of prolific hitmaker, Dr. Luke, who has previously worked his magic on tracks for the likes of Pink, Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne, all over it. This track also sees her moaning about her man, this time because of his indecisiveness. Sounds like she'd be better off sticking to kissing girls by the sounds of it!

8. If You Can Afford Me

Based on the saying 'don't touch what you can't afford', Katy puts her cards on the table and tells her potential love interest that he should be prepared to invest in her or he'd be better off staying away. If You Can Afford Me is another up-tempo pop / rock anthem that's just brimming with attitude.

9. Lost

Showing the more vulnerable side to her personality, Lost sees Katy ponder: 'Have you ever been so lost? Know the way and still so lost?'. Showing off the gorgeous higher register of her voice, it's a delicate guitar-based ballad with lovely music box-style effects.

10. Self Inflicted

We're in Kelly Clarkson territory once again on Self Inflicted. Co-written by Scott Cutler, who wrote Natalie Imbruglia's Torn and Listen, the Academy Award-nominated song performed by Beyoncé in the movie Dreamgirls, it's an irresistibly hooky song which will no doubt go down very well in her live shows.

11. I'm Still Breathing

Another of the album's more mellow moments, I'm Still Breathing is a song about knowing that it's the time to move on from a doomed relationship. Definitely one of the weaker tracks, but nevertheless shows her versatility.

12. Fingerprints

The album concludes with a real 'carpe diem' moment on which Katy sings about wanting to 'break the mold' and make her mark on people.

While it's a nice sentiment, it doesn't strictly speaking ring true across the album as a whole. While tracks like I Kissed A Girl have pushed people's buttons to a certain extent to due to their lyrical content, the songs do little to separate Katy from many of her contemporaries, mixing up the attitude of Pink, the wit of Lily Allen and the vocal range of Natasha Bedingfield.

That said, it'll be a real injustice if she sinks without trace after one single as there's not a duff track on One Of The Boys.

http://www.capitalradio.co.uk/music-showbiz/music/music-reviews/albums/katy-perry-one-boys/

Thanks for the report Sara! Brilliant!:wub2:

I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed the show!

I can’t believe you managed to film with the security guy chasing you!

That’s what I call an unfailing camera girl!:roftl:

It was incredibly cool! She's just so great on stage.....exceptional. She owns the stage, is funny, charismatic, energetic....And that is without even the singing.

This is one of the things I love so much about her, her self confidence.:wub2:

One other thing is that when listening to her music you discovers new little details in her songs every time, musically and in the lyrics.

Thanks for posting the report of the album Robertina!

Interesting!:thumb_yello:

:boxed:

Katy better be careful, she could get STDs if she does that too often. :blink:

But cool for you? :naughty:

You can't get STD's from kissing someone on the mouth :roftl:

Katy's mentioned in last month (or this month, I don't remember)'s SPIN article on Gym Class Heroes.

It's mostly just her begging Travis for a joint.

Erm...ok. :wink2:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9XsSsZCtmdE

Not my video but the only one on youtube yet... (3:17!)

This ones mine though - http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=43476818

Your vid is fantastic!!!!

I am starting to put mine up but, even though I filmed the whole thing and they are good enough, they won't be as good as yours taken from right under her nose :naughty:

Your vid is fantastic!!!!

I am starting to put mine up but, even though I filmed the whole thing and they are good enough, they won't be as good as yours taken from right under her nose :naughty:

I only have Mannequin, Thinking of You, Brick By Brick and an out of focus version of One of the Boys. I'm sure you have more!

Hahha well yeah I spose :P its slowly turning blue :boxed:

And I just realised I have a photo of Katy's underwear hahahha

Phew! thank goodness for that, I wasn't sure she was wearing any!!!:blink:

Great night last night,had a great spot at the back, and had a very good view.

She totally rocked the place, and during the slow songs, she so reminded me of Alanis Morrisette, which is no bad thing, I love Alanis.

I really liked the song she finished with, Brick By Brick, which isn't on this album, but she said it could be on the next. It's very beautiful.

My one bug bear of the night, and no it's not that she talked quite fast that I couldn't quite catch what she was saying half the time, slow down Katy, there's no rush:wink2:.

No it was afterwards and the APPALLING show of disrespect to Adele by a paparzzi!

She was across the road from Scala,walking with her friend, and this, for want of a better word, scumbag, was prancing around in front of her as she was trying to walk up the road, flashing his camera in her face!

If I had been outside a few minutes earlier, his camera would have been flashing from an unamed part of his anatomy!!!

It was a shocking display that I have only read about before, but to see it up close like that, made me very angry. I felt so sorry for her and her friend.

Woo. I knew you would...that's why I didn't :)

Well, you had a far better position so yours would be better. And I was risking my integrity with the meanie security guy!!!

I even have a bit filmed where you can hear the girl who was shouting at my friend, telling him that he didn't know how to have fun at a gig cause he was "stiff" :blink::thumbdown::naughty:

First one of mine:

Spot the MFC'er lol

Eep. Katy held my hand for the final couple of choruses of IKAG and then kissed me...on the lips! Everyone hates me now haha :naughty:

aaaww that's so awesome :wub2: Did you know that she said in a german show.. when I kiss a girl she has to be very very beautiful... like Heidi Klum.. a girl of that beauty :wink2:

Hopefully! I have a very unflattering photo of Katy going in for the kiss hahaha

It was being filmed professionally..the whole thing was. There was Katy's version of Andy who dare I say it, was as nice...if not maybe nicer? He interviewed us beforehand in the queue.

ow nice another Cameraman ? :naughty:

aaaww that's so awesome :wub2: Did you know that she said in a german show.. when I kiss a girl she has to be very very beautiful... like Heidi Klum.. a girl of that beauty :wink2:

ow nice another Cameraman ? :naughty:

Haha Oh yeah. :naughty:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iWKZoDEk5uU - You can actually see people peeling my fingers back! Ugh

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=43498160 New song alert!!! Brick By Brick

Incidentally- Anyone recognise this chap?

Do you think I should post the pic in his thread?:naughty: Probably

P.S.

To my knowledge, before someone says it, this is not photoshopped...

sunshine.jpg

I think that girl is not Katy Perry...she's much chubbier than her and has different haircut,this girl's hair is longer than Katy's.

And the pic was taken from the back,so you can't actually see the faces of the girls...

As for the guy,I'm not sure that's David,altough he looks a bit like him...:boxed:

I think that girl is not Katy Perry...she's much chubbier than her and has different haircut,this girl's hair is longer than Katy's.

And the pic was taken from the back,so you can't actually see the faces of the girls...

As for the guy,I'm not sure that's David,altough he looks a bit like him...:boxed:

Noooo, we never said that it was Katy on the picture!!! It's just a play on her song :naughty:.

And as for David, for what I can see, I think that it can be said with quite a high probability of certainty that it IS him.

I don't know, but it really REALLY does look like him. Too much to be a coincidence. Not only the face, but also the hair, the way he's standing, the way he wears the shirt, heck, even that shirt.

This looks too much like him for it not to be.

Noooo, we never said that it was Katy on the picture!!! It's just a play on her song :naughty:.

And as for David, for what I can see, I think that it can be said with quite a high probability of certainty that it IS him.

I don't know, but it really REALLY does look like him. Too much to be a coincidence. Not only the face, but also the hair, the way he's standing, the way he wears the shirt, heck, even that shirt.

This looks too much like him for it not to be.

Yeh I would have said definate too

Thanks FD, you've got the eye :das: Have you watched the vids yet? I'm sure that you're gonna love her even more than Cherisse :punk:

"Got the eye" .. that has so many meanings ....

Im watching now .. yes she is megaaaa niceeee :wub2:

The videos are great !! , she is such a talent and yeh verryyy prettty

Ill just stay here and drool for a while:bleh:

"Got the eye" .. that has so many meanings ....

Im watching now .. yes she is megaaaa niceeee :wub2:

The videos are great !! , she is such a talent and yeh verryyy prettty

Ill just stay here and drool for a while:bleh:

She is, she is......And super hot as well. All the guys were drooling, lol! :roftl:Join the club.

:blush-anim-cl:

She is, she is......And super hot as well. All the guys were drooling, lol! :roftl:Join the club.

So were most of the girls! haha

Comment & rate my myspace videos please people!!! More people will watch them if you do

Also putting them on youtube now...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQLpD3iJP8 Mannequin (Watch it on High quality and full screen and it's practically like being there...almost)

:blush-anim-cl:

So were most of the girls! haha

Comment & rate my myspace videos please people!!! More people will watch them if you do

Also putting them on youtube now...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQLpD3iJP8 Mannequin (Watch it on High quality and full screen and it's practically like being there...almost)

I'll rate and comment yours if you do mine :sneaky2::naughty:Works both ways missy :bleh: