Hollis and Sarie's Thread of Randomness (All are Welcome!)

backflip_76

hah.

well they are pretty similar... well... probably not to you, but from someone who speaks french. most of the verbs are pretty similar.. but not when you conjugate them...

im still pretty bad at spanish... i have an exam thursday and i know im going to fail :original:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's easier to go from French to Spanish, but more difficult to go from Spanish to French. I am studying French in college, and I've found it a lot harder that Spanish for me, even though I have an okay comprehension of Spanish. I know a bit of French from taking one semester of it in high school and working with a Rosetta Stone program, mostly just reading, but actually taking a French-speaking class is quite difficult. :blink:

Is it the pronunciation??

I have a hard time with that too. I should talk more french and watch more french television at home, but i dont.. so my pronunciation isnt the best. You can tell im english... :blush-anim-cl:

Yeah. Speaking and listening are COMPLETELY different areas than reading and writing. I think it's because, unlike Spanish, A LOT of the French pronunciations sound NOTHING like they look on paper.

Yeah. Speaking and listening are COMPLETELY different areas than reading and writing. I think it's because, unlike Spanish, A LOT of the French pronunciations sound NOTHING like they look on paper.

That's true... Do you have french channels at home? I know a bunch of great shows you could watch to help you out... but beware, they are extremely cheesy. One of the reasons why I dont watch quebecer televison often. ^___^ :naughty:

That's true... Do you have french channels at home? I know a bunch of great shows you could watch to help you out... but beware, they are extremely cheesy. One of the reasons why I dont watch quebecer televison often. ^___^ :naughty:

I'm not sure. If I do, I probably have to pay for them. I have Spanish channels, but that's it. I have the movie Amelie, which is all in French. :lmao:

I'm not sure. If I do, I probably have to pay for them. I have Spanish channels, but that's it. I have the movie Amelie, which is all in French. :lmao:

I've never seen that movie. But I've always wanted to watch it... Haha i used to have a bunch of Spanish channels.... I used to watch them and try to understand, but they talk too darned fast !!

this is my....

3rd, going on 4th semester of spanish. :D

spanish came pretty easy to me, but some of the french stuff was harder.

German came naturally. :naughty:

German is somewhat easy for me, but like... it gets confusing, because so many people here speak Pennsylvania Dutch, which is just like combining German and Dutch. It's a big jumbled mess, and I get it confused with German so much.

German is somewhat easy for me, but like... it gets confusing, because so many people here speak Pennsylvania Dutch, which is just like combining German and Dutch. It's a big jumbled mess, and I get it confused with German so much.

Guten tag.

Yeah, that's all I know. Well, besides some swear words.

Guten tag.

Yeah, that's all I know. Well, besides some swear words.

Hahaha. Or you could just say 'hallo'.

You can go for a long time around here without hearing English. Hollis didn't believe me until I told her that they run the news in German.

Hahaha. Or you could just say 'hallo'.

You can go for a long time around here without hearing English. Hollis didn't believe me until I told her that they run the news in German.

How the hell do you know what people are saying? :blink: You don't speak fluently, do you?

How the hell do you know what people are saying? :blink: You don't speak fluently, do you?

Pennsylvania Dutch fluently? Noo... not well. I can sort of decipher what people are saying sometimes, but I'm not that great at it.

And I can usually tell what people are saying in German, but I can't speak it very well. I can pronounce the words, but I get the word placement messed up.

But yea, most of the people around here speak PA dutch if they're over about... 50. The other week some woman in Walmart was yelling at her little girl to behave in Pennsylvania Dutch. And I was so close to calling Hollis so she could hear.

Pennsylvania Dutch fluently? Noo... not well. I can sort of decipher what people are saying sometimes, but I'm not that great at it.

And I can usually tell what people are saying in German, but I can't speak it very well. I can pronounce the words, but I get the word placement messed up.

But yea, most of the people around here speak PA dutch if they're over about... 50. The other week some woman in Walmart was yelling at her little girl to behave in Pennsylvania Dutch. And I was so close to calling Hollis so she could hear.

Please call me next time!

Just for example, if someone here says "Wilkum", I know it's the same thing as "Willkommen" in German. They're pretty similar, but I can't spell PA Dutch for shiiiiiiit. People are always like "AHHH, Consta deitz vetza?", which I know what it means, but I have no idea how to spell it.

I guess it's like, even if you don't speak a language fluently, after being around them for a while, you can interpret pretty well. I was in Italy for a few weeks, and though I speak no Italian, I speak okay Spanish, and I was chauffeured by some Italians who basically babysat me while my dad was doing business (I was fifteen at the time, and the secretary from the company my dad was doing business with was 21, and she took me in her car shopping and all that :naughty:), and after a while I could pick up the gist of what they were saying (of course, only with general things, not huge, long passages). It's really weird, and shows how much communication is based on body language and expression.

What were you doing in Italy for so long? Is your dad working for the government? Can you not talk about it? Will I die if I know too much?:shocked:

I guess I just got so used to everyone in my family talking bits and pieces of it, that now if I go anywhere other than Pennsylvania, people are like "Wow... what does that mean?"

I refer to my sister as Rutschie. Ever since we were kids, it was Sarie and Rutschie. And until a while ago, I didn't know that 'rutschie' wasn't a adjective, verb, or noun in ANY language except PA dutch. :tears: No wonder my step-grandpa's Jersey family didn't understand half of what I was saying years ago.