Mika to release Relax in the UK

babspanky

If the info is correct, I must say I'm disappointed there isn't going to be a previously unreleased track as B-side or something...do we really need more remixes (:sneaky2:)? I hope the reason for that is that there is still this mysterious EP in the pipeline..

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we had relax released here in Italy beginning of summer! :biggrin2:

relax was played on the radio early this year and re-played in the summer in France.

Actually i've first heard this song in february, before Gk, but i've just discovered that the single was released here in june only (i've done some search:cool:), i've always thought that it has been released before Gk:blink:

I wouldn't say it's better:no: , these 3 songs are completely different and in general appeal to different types of audience (except for the special species like Mika fans)

Relax is not necessarily a better song, but it's a far better single. A good single in UK terms means it's going to do well in their Top 40. I expect it to be more popular than Happy Ending or at least it would have been if it had been released in a more timely manner.

Capital Radio doesn't seem to care for Happy Ending at all and they have been massive Mika supporters all year long. I actually wonder what they'll do when Relax is released because they were playing it all the time in the winter and may not want to revisit it a year later.

Relax is not necessarily a better song, but it's a far better single. A good single in UK terms means it's going to do well in their Top 40. I expect it to be more popular than Happy Ending or at least it would have been if it had been released in a more timely manner.

Capital Radio doesn't seem to care for Happy Ending at all and they have been massive Mika supporters all year long. I actually wonder what they'll do when Relax is released because they were playing it all the time in the winter and may not want to revisit it a year later.

I actually knew what you meant in the first place:wink2:

but chart-wise, no fifth single from an album can go high on the charts. I was amazed how Happy Ending went to No7...

So, basically, what Relax would do as a single is to get him some further airplay in the UK.

I am not surprised Capital Radio did not support Happy Ending - it is not for their audience.

However, I find that Virgin Radio's attitude is disgusting. I used to listen to that station via the net and that's where I first heard Mika. They used to play GK almost every hour in January and then when he became No1 they probably labelled him as too commercial and stopped playing his songs...

That is such a typical attitude on the British music scene. You classify artists based on their looks and commercial success, regardless of the quality of music they make... They ugly ones end up in NME and on MTV2, even if they pump out easily digestable pop tunes the Stock-Aitken-Waterman trio would have been proud of in the eighties...:mf_rosetinted:

I don't think Relax will fare any better in the UK charts than Happy Ending - so many people have LICM now, I think we've probably reached saturation point here with the album - I can't see enough people buying the single to get it to #1 or even Top 5, when anyone who likes Mika now must surely have the album version anyway. Of course I'm not talking here about hardcore fans like us, who will buy everything :naughty:

I always like to be proved wrong though!:biggrin2:

I really thought HE would get to #1 , and this sounds obvious really but now I think Mika's next #1 will only come when he releases a brand new track. It's unheard of to have a #1 with a fifth album single, at least these days it is.

Hasnt relax already been released and failed dismally since it wasnt executed with the best professionalism?

Lollipop should be interesting, although it would only appeal to a certain selection of people.

PU did you read the first few posts? Relax was only a limited release of 500 copies to introduce Mika. It wasn't on general release. :wink2:

Hasnt relax already been released and failed dismally since it wasnt executed with the best professionalism?

:eek:

Noooo... It was never meant for large scale release. I think it was only made for the press and around 600 copies only...

That time not even the album was ready...

PU did you read the first few posts? Relax was only a limited release of 500 copies to introduce Mika. It wasn't on general release. :wink2:
:eek:

Noooo... It was never meant for large scale release. I think it was only made for the press and around 600 copies only...

That time not even the album was ready...

I thought any release counted if in CD form, then again old Phil Collins are rereleased a song or two so it doesnt matter.

Would old lollipop downloads count in the grand scheme of things...me being all unknowledgeable about the inner workings of the music industry

I thought any release counted if in CD form, then again old Phil Collins are rereleased a song or two so it doesnt matter.

Would old lollipop downloads count in the grand scheme of things...me being all unknowledgeable about the inner workings of the music industry

I don't even think it was ever on sale, just given to the music industry people,

I don't even think it was ever on sale, just given to the music industry people,

Yeah, Babs is right it was only released to radio stations and industry people as an introduction to Mika.

As far as release date goes, it would be great again for him to do what he did with Grace Kelly and snatch the No1 spot off the rubbish X Factor winner. That would be priceless!

Wow, that's brilliant news!

... Still a shame My Interpretation and Stuck In The Middle aren't going to be singles though.

If he's releasing both of them (Relax and Lollipop), then more than half the LiCM songs will be singles! I'm just wondering, will they be treated seperately - that is, both be able to make the charts and both have music videos? And will they remake the Relax video?

They ugly ones end up in NME and on MTV2, even if they pump out easily digestable pop tunes the Stock-Aitken-Waterman trio would have been proud of in the eighties...:mf_rosetinted:

:roftl:

I don't think Relax will fare any better in the UK charts than Happy Ending - so many people have LICM now, I think we've probably reached saturation point here with the album.

Yeah bad timing on the Relax single IMO. I think it should have followed Grace Kelly. I think it has much broader appeal in that people who want to poke a hole in their eardrums when they hear Lollipop or Love Today would still enjoy Relax, especially a dance mix.

But public opinion on Mika's music is probably pretty set in stone at this point and only a new album is going to generate new interest.

Huh? Relax again? For a final third time? :naughty: Ok, here we go... Lollipop is a great idea!!! It's a WONDERFUL song (as everybody already knows :naughty:)!!!

But what about...

STUCK IN THE MIDDLE????

My local supermarket plays Stuck in the Middle :thumb_yello:

As he pointed out in an interview yesterday record companies change their minds all the time about this kind of thing. Maybe Happy Ending is doing better than they anticipated and they think that LiCM still has legs and don't want to let it die. Since Relax is better than Big Girl and Happy Ending it's not surprising.

It doesn't mean he won't release an EP in a few months.

Can someone please explain to me the significance of having the Christmas Number One? I've never understood this. What difference does it make whether your song is number one at Christmas or the week before or the week after? I've never heard of this outside the UK.

The explanation is, that, in the UK anyway, a lot of acts go all out to get the Christmas Number One single, so they kind-of save the best for then, and I agree, it's stupid really, but if we want Relax to have the best chance of emulating the success of Grace Kelly it's better if it comes out when the Christmas holabaloo, has died down. Plus, as I said earlier, the new 'Pop Mafia' known as X Factor, is a thorn in the side of many decent acts these days. It's become a case of... if you release a single at the same time as the winner, or one of the other X Factor alumnis (who should be fending for themselves like Mika has to) then you don't stand a chance, against the promotional efforts of the likes of Cowell and Walsh, who have grown too big for their boots.

LOve today, from Marilyn

Can someone please explain to me the significance of having the Christmas Number One? I've never understood this. What difference does it make whether your song is number one at Christmas or the week before or the week after? I've never heard of this outside the UK.

Maybe that's also meant for grandparents or simple relatives who NEED Christmas presents and then just give their grandchildren/relatives the single that is Number One at Christmas although they don't know who sung it. :blink:

Huh? Relax again? For a final third time? :naughty: Ok, here we go... Lollipop is a great idea!!! It's a WONDERFUL song (as everybody already knows :naughty:)!!!

But what about...

STUCK IN THE MIDDLE????

I'm with you here !!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

SITM is the BEST song ever!!!! WHY don't they release it? I want a single with studio version, live version, acoustic version & acapella version!!!!

Or why don't they realease Ring Ring? (I'm listening to it at the moment so it came up my mind)