Opinions about the DVD "Live in Cartoon Motion"

stien

Okay, so I watched it, and besides loving it more than anything, that documentary made me sad. It gave me "a feeling" and I'm not sure what it is.

I really don't know why, but something made me feel really sad for Mika. It seemed like throughout the whole thing, he was covering up his tiredness with a smile. He'd talk about how tiring it was, and then add in an offhanded "...but it's fun!" I don't believe him. I believe that some things about it are fun, but I really do feel sorry for him in a way. He is brilliant, amazing, talented, but it looks like he's having a hard time being on the road. That documentary really made me feel for him. It gave me a sense of Mica Penniman, and not just smiley, happy, crazy Mika.

Some of my favorite parts:

1) "I go to the toilet a thousand times before every gig because I drink so much water" *is spilling water everywhere*

2) "I want that bunny suit...THAT one, not that...OTHER bunny suit."

3) "It's fun. We get this hand cream, and we...spread it all over our faces. It's boring."

4) "It's called 'Ozzy is a Gay Boy.' *sings Pour Some Sugar on Me*

5) "I walked over the city picking up your limbs." *uncontrolable laughter*

6) "...and I'm getting BITCHY!"

7) "...like Michael Jackson on acid! THAT would be SCARY!"

I feel exactly the same. (about the sadness and the favorite parts)

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching the documentary again, and I noticed something. I guess Mika still follows the Catholic religion because he crosses himself and seems to say a little prayer after he jumps around backstage before the gig.

Really? When? When he's with the rest of the band wearing the brown hoodie and red pants?

Really? When? When he's with the rest of the band wearing the brown hoodie and red pants?

Yeah I think so. I remember seeing it too at some point.

Could be just a ritualistic thing though. He was talking about superstitions just before that.

Yeah I think so. I remember seeing it too at some point.

Could be just a ritualistic thing though. He was talking about superstitions just before that.

Oh ok, I'll have to watch it again. I love when he does that little dance thing at that part :lol3:

Nice avie by the way:wink2:

This is sort of random, but does anyone know how I could put parts from the DVD onto my Zune (mp3)?

I converted the concert to iPod video with some software. Ripping the other stuff on the DVD was more tricky. Do you just want the audio?

Yeah I'll be watching mine on a long boring flight to London. :punk:

*Suzy will sneak peeks. Then she'll quietly take it from Christine when she falls asleep. :naughty: Suzy hopes not to awake Christine and annoy all the other passengers as she sings along to the dvd and laughs at all the funny parts.* :roftl:

did you have to pay for that software?

Yes I did. :thumbdown:

*Suzy will sneak peeks. Then she'll quietly take it from Christine when she falls asleep. :naughty:

*Christine calls Air Canada and has Suzy's seat reassigned to the back of the plane.

I was thinking throughout the whole program why Mika started this production halfway into his tour - then I recollected an early radio interview ( a woman radio host - maybe Jo Wiley? I dunno...I can't remember her name) who asked him if any of his family members were filming thhis journey into his rising success and he said "no" but that it was a good idea and that he should.

I converted the concert to iPod video with some software. Ripping the other stuff on the DVD was more tricky. Do you just want the audio?

Well I want some audio from the concert, but I want the video to some parts of the documentary

Finally, finally, got to watch the DVD. Wow. *pours on raving fangirl-ness*

Things I found interesting, adorable, or otherwise noteworthy:

1) When Mika was talking about drinking a lot of water before gigs, and he started splashing everywhere, I thought it was ridiculously adorable how he giggled and put the bottle to his teeth. So. Amazingly. Cute. :wub2:

2) The "Hey Mika!" hand thing they do is cute. I wonder if any of the band members are ever like "sigh, here we go again. Why not 'Hey Luke!' for a change?" :naughty:

3) Like someone else posted, he did indeed make the sign of the cross before the Munich gig. Must be a good little Catholic boy.

4) His piano playing is...are there words? I don't think there are. I love the way that he just randomly starts playing, doesn't even look at the keys at all - just launches into some fabulous melody. He makes it look completely effortless - like all he as to do is simply think of a melody, and the piano just sings. My fiance made me rewind the part where he's talking about the "major to minor" sections of the Grace Kelly melody about four times. Mika, if you want to give your voice a break, release an EP of original piano-only music. I'd buy that!

5) When he was leaving Munich, he was almost panicky - "we've been waiting too long." Waiting too long for what? I wonder if he was thinking A) We've been waiting too long to get going, poor fans who have been waiting for autographs, B) We've been waiting too long, I'm tired, and now I still have to navigate through a bunch of *yawn* fans, or C) a bit of both, maybe?

6) In the concert footage from both Berlin and Munich, his pants are falling down. Either he didn't realize the first night and change his outfit accordingly, or it's actually footage just one concert? Not that I mind a bit of underwear exposure, mind you. :roftl:

7) When he's "off" or doing sound checks, he wears baggier blue jeans. And he looks positively delectable. And that blue shirt? Oh. My. God. Now, Mika is an attractive man, sure. But Mika in that blue shirt - I don't think I have ever seen him look that amazing. I love him in shades of blue. I always liked that blue striped shirt he wore on the infamous "Chubby Bunny" interview from Australia - but, this is just wow. His hair looks amazing, and his eyes are just indescribable. I nearly melted. He had me reduced to nothing more than a quivering lump of protoplasm.

Christine agrees, methinks, because she's already seen fit to screen cap said outfit:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=826561&postcount=1396

:wub2:

8) Milan looks amazing. Pushing Mika aside for a moment, I have this urge to hop a flight there just to take pictures and go shoppping.

9) Did anyone else find it adorable when Mika was like "there's a fetish - plush? plushie?" Furthermore, did anyone else find themselves understanding said fetish while watching Mika, erm, twirl his tail? :das:

10) About his show - something along the lines of "give me six months and it will be a whole lot more ridiculous." True words, Mr. Mika. Confetti canons and balloons? Bah. Now we have Gray Skelly, Saranayde and banjos!

11) He certainly doesn't look b*tchy when he announces "I'm getting b*tchy!" He looks endearing, like you just want to give him a squeeze and a (perfectly brewed) cup of tea. The only really sharp moment seemed to be when he first asked Mikey if it was a wallet or a purse, then he turned and glared at Cherisse.

12) I'm officially coining the term "Lollipop Letdown". It's the situation where a Mika performance is winding down, and while Lollipop is amazing, you feel a squeeze in your chest because you just don't want it to end. And considering that I experienced this phenomenon while watching the DVD, I'm guessing it must be far more severe in person.

13) At the end of the Jools Holland performance, he smiles as though he's thinking "Phew! I got through it. Okay. I can breathe now."

14) I don't understand the reviewers who slammed the "Live in Paris" component. Okay, he wasn't his best this time. Happy Ending really shows it. But the thing is, he's Mika. When he gives a tired performance while battling a chest infection, he still sounds utterly amazing. The catch is that when he's 100%, his performances aren't amazing - they're utterly mind blowing. No other pop artist, in my biased opinion, can come anywhere close. And it's not like he did badly. Any Other World, for example, was amazing.

15) Do you think the camera guy liked Lorna's legs during Happy Ending? They sure got a lot of screen time, lol.

16) It occured to me that if he records a new album before coming back to North America, his set will change muchly to include tracks from the new album. Which means that he will likley prioritize keeping the officially released singles from LICM in his act. That's a bit of a sad thought, because Any Other World, Stuck in the Middle and Billy Brown are among my favourites to see done live. Sigh. I so hope I get the chance.

Phew! That's my DVD review, lol. I so pity you all if I ever get the chance to write a gig review. We may have to buy yet another new server to contain all I'd have to say ;)

4) His piano playing is...are there words? I don't think there are. I love the way that he just randomly starts playing, doesn't even look at the keys at all - just launches into some fabulous melody. He makes it look completely effortless - like all he as to do is simply think of a melody, and the piano just sings. My fiance made me rewind the part where he's talking about the "major to minor" sections of the Grace Kelly melody about four times. Mika, if you want to give your voice a break, release an EP of original piano-only music. I'd buy that!

Exactually what i think, he's genius!

how can he play piano on his own way so casually, but actually he play so well???

not only his singing attracts me, when he start playing piano with his slender fingers, it really melts my heart......:wub2: :wub2:

7) When he's "off" or doing sound checks, he wears baggier blue jeans. And he looks positively delectable. And that blue shirt? Oh. My. God. Now, Mika is an attractive man, sure. But Mika in that blue shirt - I don't think I have ever seen him look that amazing. I love him in shades of blue. I always liked that blue striped shirt he wore on the infamous "Chubby Bunny" interview from Australia - but, this is just wow. His hair looks amazing, and his eyes are just indescribable. I nearly melted. He had me reduced to nothing more than a quivering lump of protoplasm.

he look brilliant in any bright-coloured clothes :mf_lustslow:

11) The only really sharp moment seemed to be when he first asked Mikey if it was a wallet or a purse, then he turned and glared at Cherisse.

yeah, that look scare me a little bit :mf_rosetinted:

he tried to force them believe it is a wallet :roftl:

Finally, finally, got to watch the DVD. Wow. *pours on raving fangirl-ness*

Things I found interesting, adorable, or otherwise noteworthy:

1) When Mika was talking about drinking a lot of water before gigs, and he started splashing everywhere, I thought it was ridiculously adorable how he giggled and put the bottle to his teeth. So. Amazingly. Cute. :wub2:

2) The "Hey Mika!" hand thing they do is cute. I wonder if any of the band members are ever like "sigh, here we go again. Why not 'Hey Luke!' for a change?" :naughty:

3) Like someone else posted, he did indeed make the sign of the cross before the Munich gig. Must be a good little Catholic boy.

5) When he was leaving Munich, he was almost panicky - "we've been waiting too long." Waiting too long for what? I wonder if he was thinking A) We've been waiting too long to get going, poor fans who have been waiting for autographs, B) We've been waiting too long, I'm tired, and now I still have to navigate through a bunch of *yawn* fans, or C) a bit of both, maybe?

6) In the concert footage from both Berlin and Munich, his pants are falling down. Either he didn't realize the first night and change his outfit accordingly, or it's actually footage just one concert? Not that I mind a bit of underwear exposure, mind you. :roftl:

Christine agrees, methinks, because she's already seen fit to screen cap said outfit:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=826561&postcount=1396

:wub2:

8) Milan looks amazing. Pushing Mika aside for a moment, I have this urge to hop a flight there just to take pictures and go shoppping.

9) Did anyone else find it adorable when Mika was like "there's a fetish - plush? plushie?" Furthermore, did anyone else find themselves understanding said fetish while watching Mika, erm, twirl his tail? :das:

10) About his show - something along the lines of "give me six months and it will be a whole lot more ridiculous." True words, Mr. Mika. Confetti canons and balloons? Bah. Now we have Gray Skelly, Saranayde and banjos!

11) He certainly doesn't look b*tchy when he announces "I'm getting b*tchy!" He looks endearing, like you just want to give him a squeeze and a (perfectly brewed) cup of tea. The only really sharp moment seemed to be when he first asked Mikey if it was a wallet or a purse, then he turned and glared at Cherisse.

12) I'm officially coining the term "Lollipop Letdown". It's the situation where a Mika performance is winding down, and while Lollipop is amazing, you feel a squeeze in your chest because you just don't want it to end. And considering that I experienced this phenomenon while watching the DVD, I'm guessing it must be far more severe in person.

13) At the end of the Jools Holland performance, he smiles as though he's thinking "Phew! I got through it. Okay. I can breathe now."

14) I don't understand the reviewers who slammed the "Live in Paris" component. Okay, he wasn't his best this time. Happy Ending really shows it. But the thing is, he's Mika. When he gives a tired performance while battling a chest infection, he still sounds utterly amazing. The catch is that when he's 100%, his performances aren't amazing - they're utterly mind blowing. No other pop artist, in my biased opinion, can come anywhere close. And it's not like he did badly. Any Other World, for example, was amazing.

15) Do you think the camera guy liked Lorna's legs during Happy Ending? They sure got a lot of screen time, lol.

16) It occured to me that if he records a new album before coming back to North America, his set will change muchly to include tracks from the new album. Which means that he will likley prioritize keeping the officially released singles from LICM in his act. That's a bit of a sad thought, because Any Other World, Stuck in the Middle and Billy Brown are among my favourites to see done live. Sigh. I so hope I get the chance.

Phew! That's my DVD review, lol. I so pity you all if I ever get the chance to write a gig review. We may have to buy yet another new server to contain all I'd have to say ;)

Wow!! How long did that take to write!:biggrin2:

Wow...Lollipop monkey. You get an A++!

I love the part when he realizes he might have to sing "Grace Kelly" for every single concert he ever does for the rest of his life! :biggrin2: