I don`t know much about Voltaire, sorry.

But I do like quotations.. If you have some more, put them down and maybe I will become a fan? (-:

The Voltaire Fan Club?:naughty:

*takes out her minidictionary of quotations and looks up Voltaire (1694 - 1778)* *clears throat*

To start off: "A witty saying proves nothing." :naughty:

A favourite of mine, relevant to my work: "The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease."

Another favourite: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

"All sects are different, because they come from men; morality is everywhere the same, because it comes from God."

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

One still relevant to this day: "Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes."

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

Shockingly true and incredibly relevant now: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

I wonder what the musicians here think of this one: "Anything too stupid to be said is sung."

Mika might like this one: "The secret of being a bore is to tell everything."

Mika definitely follows this one: "There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable."

Yet another one: "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers."

"Love truth, and pardon error."

And last but not least: "Love is a canvas furnished by Nature and embroidered by imagination."

I personally like his brand of cynicism. :biggrin2:

And so is Stephen Fry.

They were great together in "Jeeves And Wooster". :naughty:

stepehen's one of my fave as well!1 I do actually look forward to meet ya, scut. hope you'll make it to london. we can chat about a few topics, which will be nice. :wink2:

oh yeah!!! now I remember! a friend of mine told me about this show while we were shopping at armani's earlier this week! lol funny coincidence!

all shopping at armani's.. :sneaky2: you bunch of spoilt brats.. :thumbdown: no wonder you love mika, two of a kind! :roftl:

*hugs everyone* :wub2:

I'm off, it's very late. sleep well everyone! :thumb_yello:

a cunning plaaaaan... *with cockney accent*

anyone fan of blackadder..? :biggrin2: (the above would be baldrick)

teeeehehehehhehehee :roftl:

Avoca, hon!

I love Blackadder!!!!!!!!!

haven't watched it in ages!!!

one day ...I am getting over to England again!

Alright. My ****ing empathy brings me back to the month june when I broke up with my last GF.. That was a horrible time.. But Mika the psychoterapist helped me to survive and pass it all.. The paradox is that it was HER that introduced me to Mika and his music..

hmmmmm

Mika has helped me too survive, period!

stuff going on still...:( but....managing to cope better anyway!!

and this weekend I had MIKA therapy! Yay! the best kind!!!

Logic says that a lack of explanation for both doesn't equate them.

I don't see what's wrong with discussing it in this thread as long as it's a purely hypothetical discussion (i.e. we're not saying "his sexuality definitely is *insert sexuality here*", but saying "this is what I think the song may suggest") if it's done respectfully. Like you said, he has the right to deny explanations and we have the right to wonder/speculate.

I'm curious, who do you think it's written to then?

I've thought similar things about this song too, probably from self experience.

sitm has always intrigued me...and his songs are quite deep and many layered and makes me realy go "OMG! " usually at 3:am when I am supposed to sleep.

Interesting indeed.

This 'epiphany' you just had...I had this thought all along. I figured most people thought the same already.

Glad it finally all came together for you now though. :thumb_yello:

kind of figured this out on the bus actually coming from my Dad's house!

kind of hard to scream while 50 other people of the bus. Made me start writing immediately again! (essayish types of writing)

To be slightly on-topic, has anyone seen "Wilde" starring Stephen Fry? I've wanted to watch it for ages. I'm a huge Oscar Wilde fan, and a Stephen Fry fan too.

wilde20the20movietd8.jpg

SCUT!

i love this show! saw it many years ago!

I love Oscar Wilde! There was a play that was performed at the Castle by my house and wow! it was so accurate and exciting! The plays are so good!They are interactive!!!!!!!!! The main character was talking about his relationship with umm (Bosie?????) please correct me....and in a victorian castle,,it was a phenominal experience!!!craigdarroch.jpg

hi, eleonorelle. :bleh: going back to the uk..? are ya originary from there..? :blink:

oh indeed, sitm is the best lyrics in the album and my fave song ever, with REM's nightswimming, so yes, you can say I quite like it.. :mf_rosetinted:

wilde.... :wub2:oscar wilde is one of my fave writers ever, the film's absolutely great, though it's been criticised a lot. I LOVE stephen, I love jude, I love basically half of the cast.. how could I not like it ?

Oscar Wilde, George Orwell and J.R.R. Tolkien are my most favourite writers of all time. :wub2: Stephen Fry is awesome and Jude Law is great. That's why I've been dying to see the film too. Anyone know where I can find it? :biggrin2:

I have it, I wish I could pass it onto you.. :boxed:

maybe amazon? ebay? isn't it in stores where you live? it's fairly well known..

LOVE tolkien too. or better, I love LOTR, its concept of evil. very realistic and very fascinating.

*takes out her minidictionary of quotations and looks up Voltaire (1694 - 1778)* *clears throat*

To start off: "A witty saying proves nothing." :naughty:

A favourite of mine, relevant to my work: "The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease."

Another favourite: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

"All sects are different, because they come from men; morality is everywhere the same, because it comes from God."

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

One still relevant to this day: "Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes."

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

Shockingly true and incredibly relevant now: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

I wonder what the musicians here think of this one: "Anything too stupid to be said is sung."

Mika might like this one: "The secret of being a bore is to tell everything."

Mika definitely follows this one: "There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable."

Yet another one: "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers."

"Love truth, and pardon error."

And last but not least: "Love is a canvas furnished by Nature and embroidered by imagination."

I personally like his brand of cynicism. :biggrin2:

Wow Scut, you are a star! Those are great quotations, especially those about politics, history..

I`ve heard this one before and I like it very much:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

And I like also these 3 political ones:

"Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes."

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

To be slightly on-topic, has anyone seen "Wilde" starring Stephen Fry? I've wanted to watch it for ages. I'm a huge Oscar Wilde fan, and a Stephen Fry fan too.

wilde20the20movietd8.jpg

I`ve seen it, liked it.. I love Oscar Wilde too! Especialy his fairytales (-:

And also the quotations, I might post here some later..

I even had a "Wilde stage" some time ago, I wore a hat, visited Ireland, put flowers on his grave in Paris, was reading him all the time, went to see him in theatre.. Now I have a "Mika stage" (-: Not that Wilde dissapeared from my head, he just settled down like a layer in my mind, like all my previous numerous stages, I wonder what will be my next stage, after Mika?

hmmmmm

Mika has helped me too survive, period!

stuff going on still...:( but....managing to cope better anyway!!

and this weekend I had MIKA therapy! Yay! the best kind!!!

Hi Suzanne (-:

What "cures" did you have? Don`t be mysterious.

I`ve seen it, liked it.. I love Oscar Wilde too! Especialy his fairytales (-:

And also the quotations, I might post here some later..

I even had a "Wilde stage" some time ago, I wore a hat, visited Ireland, put flowers on his grave in Paris, was reading him all the time, went to see him in theatre.. Now I have a "Mika stage" (-: Not that Wilde dissapeared from my head, he just settled down like a layer in my mind, like all my previous numerous stages, I wonder what will be my next stage, after Mika?

LOL the fairy tales are the only wilde thing i dislike.. :naughty: so sad.. and the salomè (spelling?) and dorian grey. LMAO basically LOVE theatre, quotes and the rest of his works.

as for mika's house, unless he moved recently, and it may as well be, he lives in his parents ' huge house basement.

I haven't seen the Wilde movie, but I was curious, since I'm a fan of Wilde's work. :)

Today I betrayed Mika. I bought 3 music dvds... justin's (HOTTT!!!), scissor sisters' (HOTTT!!!) and zero assoluto's (an italian band)...

Do you guys think the cashier must've realized how gay I am? lol