The Appleman : The Return of the Jedi (part 3)

Yoppappop

I don't know, I still can't find anything admirable about playing with people's emotions and consciously setting them up for a cruel disappointment just to make your life a little bit easier.

Especially since, as Christine pointed out, it's not like he can't honestly leave whenever he wants to. He tends to stay and sign things because he chooses to, fans don't actually hold him hostage. There'd be no need for him to play that sort of trick if he just wanted to leave except for the fun of messing with people, which would be... well, I think much higher of him than to say he'd ever do that.

--Jack

You know, I was not exactly dead serious about the whole 'Let's lock the loonies up and humiliate them all so I can cowardly escape' part.

I was serious when I said I didn't really expect him to show up at that party. In fact, when everybody was talking about 'aftershow party' and 'get backstage', these terms were not implicitly linked to 'party with Mika' or anything like that to me. Nobody said he would be there. At least not to me.

I was surprised and pleased to see him there in the end. Of course.

BUT just in case he had not shown up I wouldn't have put that down to a particular meanness and the intention to hurt innocent people's feelings on purpose. I wouldn't call him an asshole either.

No, I've seen the videos.

This is another thing that annoys me about people calling us whingers because we didn't get to meet Mika. While people were crying on the front step of the Brixton Academy, Mika was at the back entrance signing autographs.

If meeting Mika was all anyone wanted, we could have gone back there and tried to talk to him. We also could have stalked him going in and out of the venue for 3 days.

Not talking to Mika was not the reason people were so distressed by what happened at the afterparty.

Well, I don't know who these autograph recipients were. Maybe there were some non 'sticky pass hos' among them (sorry, couldn't resist rehashing the wikipedia definiton of backstage pass...)

No, seriously, maybe some people didn't get a wristband, couldn't make it to the party for obvious reasons and hence just waited outside?

Maybe some of them were at the party and didn't get their chance there. Actually, unless it was the same crowd that was hogging him inside already, I don't see how the backdoor actions this time are supposed to be seen in a different light than the aftershow signing without a 'party' in between.

I have no idea about the whos and hows so I can't really judge about it. You might be better informed about it.

If meeting Mika was all anyone wanted, they could as well have stayed in a place as near to his house as possible, or hopped on the bus to SK after the gig/party to catch him on his doorstep.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know, I was not exactly dead serious about the whole 'Let's lock the loonies up and humiliate them all so I can cowardly escape' part.

I was serious when I said I didn't really expect him to show up at that party. In fact, when everybody was talking about 'aftershow party' and 'get backstage', these terms were not implicitly linked to 'party with Mika' or anything like that to me. Nobody said he would be there. At least not to me.

I was surprised and pleased to see him there in the end. Of course.

BUT just in case he had not shown up I wouldn't have put that down to a particular meanness and the intention to hurt innocent people's feelings on purpose. I wouldn't call him an asshole either.

But... what's the point of going backstage if it's NOT because the star is there?

Mika being at the afterparty was implied, I would think, by the exclusive bracelets. While it is true that there are sometimes afterparties set up without the musician being guaranteed to show, they're of the open-to-anyone, possibly pay-a-cover-charge-to-party variety.

There's no point in setting up an exclusive afterparty just to have fans in a room all by themselves, and not much point for the fans to want to go to one. If fans wanted that, they could just organize their own shindig.

After the Patrick Wolf show I went to, there was a free and open-to-everyone (over 21) afterparty held at a bar, where Patrick was supposed to show. His band and his opening act came by, but he did not, and I was not much disappointed because like you I hardly expected him to. But his promoters were incredibly embarrassed about it and apologized profusely.

--Jack

But... what's the point of going backstage if it's NOT because the star is there?

Mika being at the afterparty was implied, I would think, by the exclusive bracelets. While it is true that there are sometimes afterparties set up without the musician being guaranteed to show, they're of the open-to-anyone, possibly pay-a-cover-charge-to-party variety.

There's no point in setting up an exclusive afterparty just to have fans in a room all by themselves, and not much point for the fans to want to go to one. If fans wanted that, they could just organize their own shindig.

After the Patrick Wolf show I went to, there was a free and open-to-everyone (over 21) afterparty held at a bar, where Patrick was supposed to show. His band and his opening act came by, but he did not, and I was not much disappointed because like you I hardly expected him to. But his promoters were incredibly embarrassed about it and apologized profusely.

--Jack

6c7flup.jpg

If meeting Mika was all anyone wanted, we could have gone back there and tried to talk to him. We also could have stalked him going in and out of the venue for 3 days.

Not talking to Mika was not the reason people were so distressed by what happened at the afterparty.

Why aren't we talking about apples?? :sneaky2:

Isn't it the Appleman thread?

or maybe I'm wrong and I'm on the afterparty thread :mf_rosetinted:

(sarcasm?)

Agree :mf_rosetinted:

and

Agree :sneaky2:

OMG I had another thought! What if we ever so slightly sprinkled some itching powder on the roll? But not until the middle of the roll so he can use half the roll and be sitting there all smiles as he scrunches (or folds, hmmmm we need to know this) our photos/cancelled gigs/pictures of fish.

He will be unsuspectingly itchy!!

I think that the original gig should count as canceled then the one it was rescheduled to should count as a gig.

If all you saw was the top of Mika's head then the "after so-called party" shouldn't count as a gig. I'd add it to the canceled side as you were promised something that you didn't get which is the same as being canceled on.

But you know, even 1:1 is pretty bad.

Well by my reckoning, I am 17:4

:shocked: That's a whole lotta Mika.

Can one see the same show a dozen times and not get tired of it at all? :blink:

No :mf_rosetinted:

Here is Treacle - lying in the sun :)

I love blacks cats best. I love 'em all but I can't help having a soft spot for black ones.

Why aren't we talking about apples?? :sneaky2:

Isn't it the Appleman thread?

or maybe I'm wrong and I'm on the afterparty thread (sarcasm?)

Quite right, Pip!

do not forget to add the last detail to the toilet paper gift:naughty:

Mwahahahaaaaaha

OMG I had another thought! What if we ever so slightly sprinkled some itching powder on the roll? But not until the middle of the roll so he can use half the roll and be sitting there all smiles as he scrunches (or folds, hmmmm we need to know this) our photos/cancelled gigs/pictures of fish.

Um, ew? My Mika-loving instincts have got to kick in here and say that I do not find this very funny. :thumbdown:

Carry on though.

--Jack

Um, ew? My Mika-loving instincts have got to kick in here and say that I do not find this very funny. :thumbdown:

Carry on though.

--Jack

Yep, agree :no: :no: I'm strictly against harming the M. Be it physically or mentally. (Rotten, yes. And proud.)

Yep, agree :no: :no: I'm strictly against harming the M. Be it physically or mentally. (Rotten, yes. And proud.)

I wouldn't like to either, he can get chafed by himself, he doesn't need us to do it for him.

I vote we get the softest of soft loo paper so he can't complain. Not that that will stop him. :mf_rosetinted:

Carry on though.

--Jack

This is not serious, Jack. Do you honestly think we are going to give him toilet paper with cancelled gigs etc printed on it? The last 5 or so pages regarding the toilet paper have been make believe. Sorry, let me go back to reality.

I vote we get the softest of soft loo paper so he can't complain. Not that that will stop him. :mf_rosetinted:

Ok then, ruin my fun :naughty: You know he's going to say "This is too soft!"

oh no... you're starting being mean... :thumbdown::naughty: and don't forget i volunteered to deliver the project, and he knows my face a bit too well by now, i don't need this :mf_rosetinted:

do we need new ideas for the printing ?

- apples

- aussie places

- scandinavian places

- festivals (werchter, big chill, roskilde, nibe 07, V festival OZ 08...)

- plastic bags

apple support...

and yes, i would like to think that it's a real project :blink:

customized plastic bags : http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=268362028

customized toilet paper : http://www.printedtp.com/

I LOVE ORGANIZING THINGS :lmao:

This is not serious, Jack. Do you honestly think we are going to give him toilet paper with cancelled gigs etc printed on it? The last 5 or so pages regarding the toilet paper have been make believe. Sorry, let me go back to reality.

Well yeah, but that's why I said it wasn't funny as opposed to "you are all horrible people." :bleh:

I'm just not fond of such jokes, I find them disrespectful and in bad taste.

Sorry.

--Jack

Well yeah, but that's why I said it wasn't funny as opposed to "you are all horrible people." :bleh:

I'm just not fond of such jokes, I find them disrespectful and in bad taste.

Sorry.

--Jack

I'm going back to lurking :boxed:

I'm going back to lurking :boxed:

no, don't, you're welcome, we're all entitled to an opinion !! and here, we find it better to express it instead of digging it and then it explodes at your face ! it's a bit "refreshing" at first, but you get used to it :wink2: and it's way safer !