Mika puts audience in a trance at Terminal 5

greta

By: Alexandra Gross

The sidewalk outside of Terminal 5 shook Saturday night as fans screamed, jumped and chanted when UK powerpop singer Mika took the stage at the intimate New York venue to perform - and not just sing - hits from his 2007 debut album "Life in Cartoon Motion."

If you are unfamiliar with the Grammy-nominated Mika, he oozes color and vibrancy in everything from his upbeat ballads, to the Technicolor, storybook-like album cover, to the theatrical stage décor, to the effects in his recent Dodgy Holiday tour.

Within moments of stepping into the sold-out hall, the Beirut-born, London-raised Mika proves he can sing.

Comparing himself to '70s rock icon Freddie Mercury in notable song "Grace Kelly," he exudes real talent and showmanship, lost in an era were subdued, indie folk rockers dominate and sound all too similar.

Flaunting his signature brown, curly hair and a white button-down shirt and pants, he stood out among the sea of vibrant colors of the set and theater design.

During crowd favorites "Stuck in the Middle" and "Ring Ring," Mika took time to have a scat sing-a-long with the audience, ensuring that spirits remained high for the hour-long show.

As an audience member, you should be prepared for the performer's antics and the fast-paced nature of the show, as well as the more eccentric, quirky elements of the show, as was seen in his sudden departure from the stage.

After saying "Good night, New York," and sprinting off the stage much too early in the set, it was evident that an encore was in order.

To the surprise of devotees, a large screen came down from the ceiling onto the stage to illuminate a live puppet show of a duel between members of the band dressed up as various woodland creatures. Mika revealed himself and came out victorious to end the show.

When the real show came to a close, confetti fell on the three tiers of audience members as large multi-colored balloons descended from the rafters to adoring fans below.

The performance, along with the kaleidoscopic tracks off his album, may seem flippant, but Mika's messages are both whimsical and sincere. Songs such as "Billy Brown" tell of a man who had a life that "was all going accordingly to plan" who then "fell in love with another man"; others like "Love Today" and "Relax, Take It Easy" carry themes of peace and certitude that is applicable to all listeners.

Mika certainly has a vocal range and energy level that is unrivaled by many artists today.

"Mika masterminds a dozen tracks … that are catchy as hell if you're in the mood," said Christian John Wikane of PopMatters.com in his review on the singer. "If you're not in the mood, spending time in Mika's cartoon motion world is like drinking six shots of espresso after at 72-hour bout of sleep deprivation."

No matter what music you like, give Mika a chance.

If you have the opportunity to see him in a show or spend time listening to his CD, you will leave pleasantly more optimistic than when you arrived.

© Copyright 2008 The Fairfield Mirror

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for finding and posting this Greta!

Wow, they are always writing good reviews of our man, aren't they? I know critics can be quite sour if they want...

...when they write review without going to the gig:thumbdown:{or if they're men}

Fab review!!

In general I'm loving the reviews from this tour. If only Mika got reviews like this in the UK. I mean he still gets good reviews here but he gets a lot of sneering ones too.

The US/Canada reviews have just been great. He seems to be raising a few eyebrows over there, I feel quite excited about it.

Thanks for posting.

Brill Brill Brill!!!

I am so proud of our Mika and of the way he's wooing the American media!!

He's doing fantastic.

Isn't it great to read some fabulous reviews, after the dribble written about him in his own adopted country.

The only thing that would make this even better, would be when the media stop comparing Mika to other people, and realise that HE IS UNIQUE!!

Brill Brill Brill!!!

I am so proud of our Mika and of the way he's wooing the American media!!

He's doing fantastic.

Isn't it great to read some fabulous reviews, after the dribble written about him in his own adopted country.

The only thing that would make this even better, would be when the media stop comparing Mika to other people, and realise that HE IS UNIQUE!!

It almost makes you want to move to America and be part of it there. At least there, when an artist puts their heart and soul into something, this is recognised and valued, even if Mika will never (in my opinion) be part of the mainstream in the US (and would we ever really want himto be??:boxed:)

The general vibe from these reviews is so encouraging; it's as if a lot of the music media is suddenly waking up to the fact that Mika has a real hardcore following and so there must be more to him than a camp British novelty act and Perez Hilton's muse.

And it seems that Mika himself is genuinely surprised at the following he has already created over there. I do still like to believe he is humble enough to be honestly taken by surprise by the enthusiasm of his audiences.

The reviews from the US have been outstanding, and show that the live gigs are doing what he hoped, getting the attention the album alone wasn't getting.

From this I can imagine the record sales may start climbing, and that should start getting him the kudos he requires there.

I do agre the critics there seem a lot more open minded than the ones here, who appear to have gone so into the whole introverted miserable self absorbed music that keeps getting pushed at us at the moment, it seems the more unhappy and grumpy songs are the more the critics lap it up. Just because Mika wants to make upbeat and colourful music, they want to bury him for wanting to make people happy. I don't understand it.

Love the review by the way.

and in Italy it's even worse...media NEVER have Mika in their agenda! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

it's time we italians do something

*starts writing annoying letters to magazine directors*

Really? I didn't realise he doesn't get much press in Italy - I always assumed the media there like him, as in France. It always seems to me to be one of the European countries Mika targets. Maybe he needs to do even more :wink2: .

The reviews from the US have been outstanding, and show that the live gigs are doing what he hoped, getting the attention the album alone wasn't getting.

Not to be a downer, but we need to put this in perspective --

this is just a student newspaper from a small university

in a town in Connecticut,

not the New York Times or some big, prestigious publication.

I guess what I'm saying is -- it's a great review, and I'm glad

it's positive, but not many people are going to be influenced

by this. And to me, it's seemed like many of the positive reviews

we've seen from these US dates have been the same -- either

from small papers or personal blogs. :(

What Mika really needs is major coverage of the show

in the big US papers

and magazines and that's not happening here yet, either. Yet. :)

dcdeb

I think the North American press is just generally more objective or at least positive. In Canada in particular there isn't a lot of tabloid type media and daily newspapers are expected to report the facts and not have some unjustified dig at a singer because he has curly hair and wears tight pants. That kind of thing just wouldn't go over well with Toronto readers (even ones who've never heard of Mika), especially if it smacks of homophobia.

I noticed when David Blaine was doing his little stunt over the Thames and people were taunting him with flying cheeseburgers and all sorts of ridicule that Brits have a mean streak that just isn't acceptable in Canada.

For Mika in particular I think the novelty of his music, show and performances is going to impress any North American who is even remotely objective even if he isn't their cuppa tea.

I was a big fan of Paolo Nutini last year and Mika not so much. The only song of Mika's I liked was Grace Kelly.

I went to see Paolo Nutini at the Mod Club in March and he was great. But basically he's just a kid in jeans and t-shirt singing in a bar like a thousand other kids singing in bars all over North America.

Two weeks later I walked into the Mod Club to find a circus waiting for me. Once I settled in past the drag queens, the men on stilts, the balloons, the lollipops and animations...this man came on stage and opened his mouth and blew every person in this little room away with a voice as powerful as an opera soloist.

Everything about Mika's music and performances is not perfect so he is open to legitimate criticism. But anyone who goes off and writes a snarky Mika-is-crap review after that is not being honest with themselves and is doing a disservice to their readers.

Really? I didn't realise he doesn't get much press in Italy - I always assumed the media there like him, as in France. It always seems to me to be one of the European countries Mika targets. Maybe he needs to do even more :wink2: .

oh no!

there are more than the Alps to divide us from france! :shocked:

you cannot believe how famous mika is in france! he's quite a true french star there!

and here? just jingles from his songs as a base for startlettes bum shaking!!!:thumbdown: i HATE it!:gun2:

and in Italy it's even worse...media NEVER have Mika in their agenda! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

it's time we italians do something

*starts writing annoying letters to magazine directors*

oh well, if Mika is going to make more gigs in our beautiful country...:naughty:

What Mika really needs is major coverage of the show

in the big US papers and magazines and that's not happening here yet, either. Yet. :)

I'm guessing Mika is going to need to put on major shows to get major coverage, but don't daily newspapers give reviews of most shows that go on in town?

I think the North American press is just generally more objective or at least positive. In Canada in particular there isn't a lot of tabloid type media and daily newspapers are expected to report the facts and not have some unjustified dig at a singer because he has curly hair and wears tight pants. That kind of thing just wouldn't go over well with Toronto readers (even ones who've never heard of Mika), especially if it smacks of homophobia.

I noticed when David Blaine was doing his little stunt over the Thames and people were taunting him with flying cheeseburgers and all sorts of ridicule that Brits have a mean streak that just isn't acceptable in Canada.

For Mika in particular I think the novelty of his music, show and performances is going to impress any North American who is even remotely objective even if he isn't their cuppa tea.

I was a big fan of Paolo Nutini last year and Mika not so much. The only song of Mika's I liked was Grace Kelly.

I went to see Paolo Nutini at the Mod Club in March and he was great. But basically he's just a kid in jeans and t-shirt singing in a bar like a thousand other kids singing in bars all over North America.

Two weeks later I walked into the Mod Club to find a circus waiting for me. Once I settled in past the drag queens, the men on stilts, the balloons, the lollipops and animations...this man came on stage and opened his mouth and blew every person in this little room away with a voice as powerful as an opera soloist.

Everything about Mika's music and performances is not perfect so he is open to legitimate criticism. But anyone who goes off and writes a snarky Mika-is-crap review after that is not being honest with themselves and is doing a disservice to their readers.

amen

:mf_rosetinted:

(of course i agree in total)

By: Alexandra Gross

"Mika masterminds a dozen tracks … that are catchy as hell if you're in the mood," said Christian John Wikane of PopMatters.com in his review on the singer. "If you're not in the mood, spending time in Mika's cartoon motion world is like drinking six shots of espresso after at 72-hour bout of sleep deprivation."

No matter what music you like, give Mika a chance.

© Copyright 2008 The Fairfield Mirror

hahaha!! :roftl: I've felt that way before and you...??

And I guess that's the way Mika feels when he cannot sleep 'cause he has an idea in his mind...