What to expect when you're expecting a Grammy

greta

http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/ci_8199114

The Grammys this Sunday in Los Angeles will be a star-studded affair, with red carpets and champagne parties and dresses with necklines down to Chile.

But the road to the Grammys includes stops in Utah. A few artists headed to the Grammys talked to The Salt Lake Tribune about this year's awards show.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is nominated for Best Traditional Blues Album for his album "10 Days Out: Blues From the Backroads." He is also nominated for Best Long-Form Music Video for the DVD accompanying the album.

The 29-year-old Louisiana musician, who performed at this year's Sundance Film Festival, described that album as a labor of love. He spent 10 days on the road, traveling with a portable recording rig, recording songs with his musical heroes, like B.B. King, Pinetop Perkins and Hubert Sumlin.

"Most of the artists I had not worked with before," Shepherd said. "Even recording with B.B. King - that was a first."

A two-time nominee prior to tonight, Shepherd has never won.

Since the making of his album, six of the featured musicians on his album have died.

"This record will contribute to their legacy," Shepherd said. "[if I win], I'm proud that I could accept it on their behalf." As for the music video category, Shepherd isn't competing against other blues artists but Madonna and R. Kelly. "That's good company that I'm in," he said.

Mika is nominated for Best Dance Recording, and performs at In the Venue in Salt Lake City tonight.

Come Sunday he'll be in Los Angeles for the awards show.

The 23-year-old British singer said he's proud to be nominated and would like to win, but other than that, it is all bollocks.

"I don't enjoy shows like that," he said. "It's just a TV show."

He said he'd only go to a "bit" of it. And has he written an acceptance speech?

"Oh, no way," he said with a laugh.

Duncan Sheikis nominated for Best Musical Show Album for his score for the Tony-award-winning play "Spring Awakening."

He's been nominated before: In 1996, he lost out for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for "Barely Breathing" to Elton John's "Candle In The Wind." Despite a year in which his play won eight Tonys, he admitted to being a little star-struck about going to the Grammys.

"I'm just wondering who's going to show up," he said before his Feb. 2 show in Park City.

Sheik said he liked his chances for winning, considering all of the honors "Spring Awakening" garnered at the Tonys.

"I think the show that wins the Tony, presumably gets the Grammy," he said. "But you never know."

Blues singer Bettye LaVette performed in Salt Lake City last July on the Red Butte Garden concert series and is the official nominee for "Best Contemporary Blues Album." But the Drive-By Truckers (set to appear in Salt Lake City on Feb. 20) are her backing band on the collaborative album. Frontman Patterson Hood said he is excited to travel to Los Angeles and hopes the outspoken LaVette wins.

"There's no telling what she'll say," he said.

Despite the Truckers being among the most acclaimed country-rockers around, tickets to the show were hard to come by and it was only through a "fluke" that Hood and his wife got tickets, he said. A friend of a friend had some, and sold it to Hood for cost.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/ci_8199114

The Grammys this Sunday in Los Angeles will be a star-studded affair, with red carpets and champagne parties and dresses with necklines down to Chile.

But the road to the Grammys includes stops in Utah. A few artists headed to the Grammys talked to The Salt Lake Tribune about this year's awards show.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is nominated for Best Traditional Blues Album for his album "10 Days Out: Blues From the Backroads." He is also nominated for Best Long-Form Music Video for the DVD accompanying the album.

The 29-year-old Louisiana musician, who performed at this year's Sundance Film Festival, described that album as a labor of love. He spent 10 days on the road, traveling with a portable recording rig, recording songs with his musical heroes, like B.B. King, Pinetop Perkins and Hubert Sumlin.

"Most of the artists I had not worked with before," Shepherd said. "Even recording with B.B. King - that was a first."

A two-time nominee prior to tonight, Shepherd has never won.

Since the making of his album, six of the featured musicians on his album have died.

"This record will contribute to their legacy," Shepherd said. "[if I win], I'm proud that I could accept it on their behalf." As for the music video category, Shepherd isn't competing against other blues artists but Madonna and R. Kelly. "That's good company that I'm in," he said.

Mika is nominated for Best Dance Recording, and performs at In the Venue in Salt Lake City tonight.

Come Sunday he'll be in Los Angeles for the awards show.

The 23-year-old British singer said he's proud to be nominated and would like to win, but other than that, it is all bollocks.

"I don't enjoy shows like that," he said. "It's just a TV show."

He said he'd only go to a "bit" of it. And has he written an acceptance speech?

"Oh, no way," he said with a laugh.

Duncan Sheikis nominated for Best Musical Show Album for his score for the Tony-award-winning play "Spring Awakening."

He's been nominated before: In 1996, he lost out for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for "Barely Breathing" to Elton John's "Candle In The Wind." Despite a year in which his play won eight Tonys, he admitted to being a little star-struck about going to the Grammys.

"I'm just wondering who's going to show up," he said before his Feb. 2 show in Park City.

Sheik said he liked his chances for winning, considering all of the honors "Spring Awakening" garnered at the Tonys.

"I think the show that wins the Tony, presumably gets the Grammy," he said. "But you never know."

Blues singer Bettye LaVette performed in Salt Lake City last July on the Red Butte Garden concert series and is the official nominee for "Best Contemporary Blues Album." But the Drive-By Truckers (set to appear in Salt Lake City on Feb. 20) are her backing band on the collaborative album. Frontman Patterson Hood said he is excited to travel to Los Angeles and hopes the outspoken LaVette wins.

"There's no telling what she'll say," he said.

Despite the Truckers being among the most acclaimed country-rockers around, tickets to the show were hard to come by and it was only through a "fluke" that Hood and his wife got tickets, he said. A friend of a friend had some, and sold it to Hood for cost.

I love him......................what a love........(GAH HE'S 24!)

Did Mika actually say 'bollocks' then? It always seems a very English expression to me. And it wouldn't be printed in many articles over here :naughty: , it'd be b*******.

So is he going or not, sounds as if he really isn't keen at all :naughty:

Thanks for posting.