Mika's Eyes...

iadoremika

What colour are Mika's eyes?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. What colour are Mika's eyes?

• Hazel!
    • Brown!

Brown eyes have only brown in the iris and only reflect brown (can appear dark or light)

Hazel eyes contain blue/green as well as brown so can appear brown or light brown or greenish in different lights.

Genetically hazel eyes are caused by incomplete dominance of brown over blue. Without going into technicalities, as Mika has at least one blue-eyed sister it is more probable that he has hazel rather than brown eyes.

Of course we haven't taken into account his contact lenses, because these are slightly tinted anyway, but nowadays you can get them in really weird colours. You could have violet lenses, for example.

:jawdrop:is it from a BBC documentary? is this "truly madly deeply" what hazel means? :insane:

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brown eyes have only brown in the iris and only reflect brown (can appear dark or light)

Hazel eyes contain blue/green as well as brown so can appear brown or light brown or greenish in different lights.

Genetically hazel eyes are caused by incomplete dominance of brown over blue. Without going into technicalities, as Mika has at least one blue-eyed sister it is more probable that he has hazel rather than brown eyes.

Of course we haven't taken into account his contact lenses, because these are slightly tinted anyway, but nowadays you can get them in really weird colours. You could have violet lenses, for example.

Thank you! Can I change my vote? :naughty:

My brother has got blue eyes, but mine are definately brown and so are the eyes of my other brother.

But I'll settle for this: :naughty:

they are...beautiful!:wub2:

My brother has got blue eyes, but mine are definately brown and so are the eyes of my other brother.

But I'll settle for this: :naughty:

It is possible for a person to have brown eyes but carry the recessive gene for blue. So their own eyes are brown but their children could have blue eyes, depending on circumstances.

It's all very complicated and I don't want to bore people with the details.

Unless you insist.:naughty:

It is possible for a person to have brown eyes but carry the recessive gene for blue. So their own eyes are brown but their children could have blue eyes, depending on circumstances.

I learned about that last year but I forgot everything:naughty:

they are...beautiful!:wub2:

I agree with you 100% *swoon*

they are magical!

You are so right...they are magically...wonderful:naughty:

None yet, I can't fricking decide! :roftl:

That's okay...at least you are going to make an informed decision...he he

It's a very serious decision so make sure to take your time :roftl:

Ha ha...

yeah just to add my two cents

blue is recessive and brown is dominant, in theory, even if he was heterozygous brown and blue, brown would still be the only one to show. I assume is dad has blue eyes and his mom has brown? Unless his mom is heterozygous then its odd for any of them to have blue. hmm.

yeah just to add my two cents

blue is recessive and brown is dominant, in theory, even if he was heterozygous brown and blue, brown would still be the only one to show. I assume is dad has blue eyes and his mom has brown? Unless his mom is heterozygous then its odd for any of them to have blue. hmm.

Alas, without knowing the colour of Mika's parents' and grandparents' eyes (and siblings), it would be really hard to sort out the genotype.

In theory both parents could have brown eyes and carry gene for blue but I suspect that at least one parent carries not true brown but the gene for incomplete dominance of brown over blue (which produces hazel eyes). This complicates the picture.

Don't forget that because the gene for blue is recessive, it can be masked for several generations. And then two brown eyed parents look astonished when they have a child with blue eyes.

Alas, without knowing the colour of Mika's parents' and grandparents' eyes (and siblings), it would be really hard to sort out the genotype.

In theory both parents could have brown eyes and carry gene for blue but I suspect that at least one parent carries not true brown but the gene for incomplete dominance of brown over blue (which produces hazel eyes). This complicates the picture.

Don't forget that because the gene for blue is recessive, it can be masked for several generations. And then two brown eyed parents look astonished when they have a child with blue eyes.

True, and i think stalking his extended family would be a bit over the edge lol.

*loves the serious biology discussion* :naughty:

But human eye colour is not so simple as dominant/recessive, it's determined by a whole bunch of different genes :naughty: :S

It's a very serious decision so make sure to take your time :roftl:

Oh I am :wink2:

I can understand the theory, but I'm still not convinced that incomplete dominance of brown over blue produces hazel. Because that is not what I see in my family (mother: brown, father: blue, 3 grandparents blue, 1 brown > 2 kids brown and 1 blue, no hazel there).

But to be honest, I think this conversation is pretty funny. I would never have thought that deciding on Mika's eye colour would be so hard. We really love to discuss everything, don't we. :naughty:

Maybe we should ask Mika, I think we're entitled to have a proper answer once we're officially official. :mf_rosetinted:

OMG I'm becoming an apple :roftl: