It's tiring watching Mika and his bunny girls

dcdeb

(Check out the photos -- I think we know some people there! :wink2: )

By André Paine, Evening Standard 26.02.08

17a_26_mika_243x139.jpg

Teddy boy: The inexhaustible Mika has established a flamboyant live show with glitter cannons, dancing girls and a string section

Fans

17a_26_fans-mika_243x170.jpg

Fan-tastic: Many of the audience at the sold-out show dressed up in costumes as they sang along

He's just won a Brit for breakthrough act, but Mika played this sold-out show as if he still had something to prove. Indeed, he beamed a perfectly white smile and bounced around excitedly for almost the entire 80 minutes.

Although he opened the Brits ceremony and took home an award, Mika lost out in the best British male category to Mark Ronson, a non-singing producer who's lived in New York for 25 years.

However, there were no complaints from the Beirut-born and Kensington-based singer during this show, which was rescheduled from December due to illness.

Instead, he enthused about "what a crazy year it's been" and unleashed his fearsome falsetto on Relax, Take It Easy.

After once describing himself as "musical Marmite", Mika has become a sensation across Europe and has global sales of four million for his debut, Life In Cartoon Motion. He could be cashing in, but claims his expensive stage show barely breaks even.

It began with a woman dressed as an angel bursting out of a balloon and featured glitter cannons, a string section-and a bizarre scene in which Mika embraced a giant skeleton puppet during a snowstorm.

Overall, though, it was not an especially bold or original production. But it held the interest of hundreds of children, while their parents sang along happily to the gaudy disco-pop.

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) featured a couple of larger ladies in tutus dancing on stage. Mika then switched to his keyboard for the Robbie Williams-style ballad My Interpretation and stayed there for Billy Brown, a flamboyant song about a man who leaves his wife to live on the Mexican coast with another man.

If that went unnoticed, the scene where Mika and his band dressed in teddy bear and bunny costumes and simulated chicken behind a screen probably did require some awkward explanations from parents on the way home.

After a year of touring, Mika has established a live show with strong production and capable musicians.

Yet for all the effort that went into his performance, including a frantic drumming session with dustbins, it only really soared on pure pop anthems such as the fizzing Love Today and the No 1 Grace Kelly.

He tried out a new song, the Eighties-sounding How Much Do You Love Me?, and the playful Lollipop confirmed his primary school appeal.

But while Mika is undoubtedly talented, watching him perform can sometimes be an exhausting experience.

Brixton Academy, tonight and Thursday, returns only. Info: 0207 771 3000

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig-23352077-details/Mika/gigReview.do?reviewId=23441773

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yehhhh Laura and Jennie!!! :punk: :punk:

And Cynthia, yeah... but Suzy's just projecting Mana and Lady Godiva

there :wink2:

But still, I had a huuuuuge smile on my face when I saw those bunny ears

and Sylvester the Cat in the front row! :naughty:

dcdeb

MFCers, yeaahhhh:punk:

I recognised Cynthia and Jennie..???!! Is that right?

That article is slightly dubious though. Primary School appeal?? Is that all they can say? Lame. Seems to me the concert went over the reviewer's head quite spectacularly.

But thanks for posting!

Are they over ? I thought they were USA based???

me confused :boxed:

Cynthia is definitely there, but Sunshine,

Lady Godiva and Lollipop Monkey were "here"

in the forum last night, so unless they teleported over without saying anything,

no, they were not in London and Suzy was just wishing they were over

there (as they were wishing themselves, I'm sure!) :wink2:

dcdeb

in the forum last night, so unless they teleported over without saying anything,

dcdeb

aahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Suzy .. remember the glasses :mf_rosetinted:

Damn apples :roftl::naughty:

dcdeb

Yeah! It's Cynthia for sure. :thumb_yello:I didn't see the other girls on that pic.

Only Thursday for me , one hit to rock :punk:

Yeah baby!!! :punk:

in the forum last night, so unless they teleported over without saying anything...

Aw, crap, Deb! You figured me out!

Now I'll have to teach you all how to telelport to Mika's shows - Hmph. Steal my thunder. :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks for posting! :punk:

(Check out the photos -- I think we know some people there! :wink2: )

By André Paine, Evening Standard 26.02.08

17a_26_mika_243x139.jpg

Teddy boy: The inexhaustible Mika has established a flamboyant live show with glitter cannons, dancing girls and a string section

Fans

17a_26_fans-mika_243x170.jpg

Fan-tastic: Many of the audience at the sold-out show dressed up in costumes as they sang along

He's just won a Brit for breakthrough act, but Mika played this sold-out show as if he still had something to prove. Indeed, he beamed a perfectly white smile and bounced around excitedly for almost the entire 80 minutes.

Although he opened the Brits ceremony and took home an award, Mika lost out in the best British male category to Mark Ronson, a non-singing producer who's lived in New York for 25 years.

However, there were no complaints from the Beirut-born and Kensington-based singer during this show, which was rescheduled from December due to illness.

Instead, he enthused about "what a crazy year it's been" and unleashed his fearsome falsetto on Relax, Take It Easy.

After once describing himself as "musical Marmite", Mika has become a sensation across Europe and has global sales of four million for his debut, Life In Cartoon Motion. He could be cashing in, but claims his expensive stage show barely breaks even.

It began with a woman dressed as an angel bursting out of a balloon and featured glitter cannons, a string section-and a bizarre scene in which Mika embraced a giant skeleton puppet during a snowstorm.

Overall, though, it was not an especially bold or original production. But it held the interest of hundreds of children, while their parents sang along happily to the gaudy disco-pop.

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) featured a couple of larger ladies in tutus dancing on stage. Mika then switched to his keyboard for the Robbie Williams-style ballad My Interpretation and stayed there for Billy Brown, a flamboyant song about a man who leaves his wife to live on the Mexican coast with another man.

If that went unnoticed, the scene where Mika and his band dressed in teddy bear and bunny costumes and simulated chicken behind a screen probably did require some awkward explanations from parents on the way home.

After a year of touring, Mika has established a live show with strong production and capable musicians.

Yet for all the effort that went into his performance, including a frantic drumming session with dustbins, it only really soared on pure pop anthems such as the fizzing Love Today and the No 1 Grace Kelly.

He tried out a new song, the Eighties-sounding How Much Do You Love Me?, and the playful Lollipop confirmed his primary school appeal.

But while Mika is undoubtedly talented, watching him perform can sometimes be an exhausting experience.

Brixton Academy, tonight and Thursday, returns only. Info: 0207 771 3000

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig-23352077-details/Mika/gigReview.do?reviewId=23441773

Ahummmm??:bleh:

I never thought of My Interpretation as Robbie Williams-like...

Why don't they listen properly to a song?

They do read the MFC-forum!!!:roftl:

It is not a children's concert!

and why is this a bad thing?

Robbie Williams? I wouldn't have minded that a few years ago, but Robbie's lost all credibility after releasing a song called "Rudebox". But even so, there's no resemblance between him and Robbie musically. I don't think anyway.

And it's only exhausting from all the jumping around and dancing that gets done.

Still, a mixed review is better than a bad review. (But it would have been nice if he actually listened to Billy Brown before attempting to summarise the story).

:lmfao: Like AMP said...they read the forum!:naughty:

:lmfao: Like AMP said...they read the forum!:naughty:

Yeah, dcdeb.....make me open up the link to see who quoting "chicken" now. And, my hunch was correct. :naughty: :naughty:

Thanks Suzy .. I wasnt sure who they were:thumb_yello: :thumb_yello:

Laura has a drumstick I see ................

all thanks to Yop :thumb_yello:

i asked her to ask Cherisse for me before the gig,she told her id be front row dressed as Sylvester and so after Love Today she ran over and found me :naughty: i was so chuffed, i was screaming like a bloke :roftl:

I bought the evening standard yesterday and managed to send it backstage. I got chatting to the lady John had asked to get us hot chocolates and then gave her a copy to show everyone.

all thanks to Yop :thumb_yello:

i asked her to ask Cherisse for me before the gig,she told her id be front row dressed as Sylvester and so after Love Today she ran over and found me :naughty: i was so chuffed, i was screaming like a bloke :roftl:

I bought the evening standard yesterday and managed to send it backstage. I got chatting to the lady John had asked to get us hot chocolates and then gave her a copy to show everyone.

i bought the evening standard and cut the article out :roftl: