The Oldlings Thread, PART 14 (Version 2.0)

dcdeb

You're getting tested on bird calls? :biggrin2:

Do you have to identify the calls or imitate them?

That's why I keep getting into trouble, everytime I'm with a bird, another bird calls, can't understand why!!!!!:thumb_yello:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those will be the sweet dreams Martine was on about!!! :roftl:

Bye Martine - catch you soon xxxx

Why have you to identify bird calls Crystal?

to be an ornithologist or vet or zookeeper

You're getting tested on bird calls? :biggrin2:

Do you have to identify the calls or imitate them?

Just be able to identify them. We have a list of 20 that we're supposed to know, and be able to distinguish them amongst other bird calls that we don't know, to pick them out and identify them.

Hubby feels a tiny bit neglected. I'm off to watch a movie. Don't think anything is going to happen tonight. :blink:

When the time is right, have some sweet dreams all! :wub2:

Sweet MIKA dreams, Martine!

Those will be the sweet dreams Martine was on about!!! :roftl:

Bye Martine - catch you soon xxxx

Why have you to identify bird calls Crystal?

I'm taking a Recreation/Fish/Wildlife Technology diploma, so it's part of the wildlife portion, to be able to identify 20 local birds by their calls alone. We have this program at the school where we can punch in the birds we want to use, then it quizzes you, you can either do a multiple choice thing, or one where you have to identify the picture by the call, or the one I like, where you just listen and then type in the name of the bird you think it is. That's pretty much like the test anyway, so I practice that.

We have to be able to pick out the ones we know from a mix of about 10 birds all singing at the same time. Apparently almost everyone failed last year. This year I am bound and determined to not fail just so i'm not in that statistic. Everyone says it's the hardest test of all, but I have an advantage.

I worked at a wild bird rehabilitation center last summer, so all summer long, all I heard were bird calls through the center, and you have to be able to tell if it's just a chatty call or a 'help' or 'hungry' call, so I kind of learned how to listen and identify amongst a chatter of different kinds.

I'm actually pretty excited about this test :)

That sounds really exciting Crystal - thats one of the big bonuses

staying in the country - the bird song every morning!! I have a nut

feeder, seed feeder, and two different selections of fat balls - and

last year I even had a woodpecker who came by each day!! The crows

are getting too smart though - they can unhook the feeders and steal them

now - so I have to use cable ties to fix them to the tree now!!

Also have a butterfly farm that my b/f gave me for Christmas - going

to put it up when my son gives me my Buddleia bush for my Mothers

Day present!!

Just be able to identify them. We have a list of 20 that we're supposed to know, and be able to distinguish them amongst other bird calls that we don't know, to pick them out and identify them.

Sweet MIKA dreams, Martine!

I'm taking a Recreation/Fish/Wildlife Technology diploma, so it's part of the wildlife portion, to be able to identify 20 local birds by their calls alone. We have this program at the school where we can punch in the birds we want to use, then it quizzes you, you can either do a multiple choice thing, or one where you have to identify the picture by the call, or the one I like, where you just listen and then type in the name of the bird you think it is. That's pretty much like the test anyway, so I practice that.

We have to be able to pick out the ones we know from a mix of about 10 birds all singing at the same time. Apparently almost everyone failed last year. This year I am bound and determined to not fail just so i'm not in that statistic. Everyone says it's the hardest test of all, but I have an advantage.

I worked at a wild bird rehabilitation center last summer, so all summer long, all I heard were bird calls through the center, and you have to be able to tell if it's just a chatty call or a 'help' or 'hungry' call, so I kind of learned how to listen and identify amongst a chatter of different kinds.

I'm actually pretty excited about this test :)

Go Crystal, that's really good, I wish you well with the test, show them mika fans can be intelligent, eh wendi, katth, rose/ :thumb_yello:

You'd love our starling then; it can imitate a duck, robin, blackbird, makes a reasonable attempt at a chaffinch, and also does a very good motorbike and car alarm.:wink2:

Day present!!

Yes that sounds fabulous!!! When i get my house in the country I will have all kinds of stuff like that out too :)

I want a butterfly farm!! sounds wonderful! it draws in the beauties then!! I love insects and butterflies are so pretty, I could take pictures of them all day!

P7140018.JPG

P8130003.JPG

Go Crystal, that's really good, I wish you well with the test, show them mika fans can be intelligent, eh wendi, katth, rose/ :thumb_yello:

Indeed!!!! :)

You'd love our starling then; it can imitate a duck, robin, blackbird, makes a reasonable attempt at a chaffinch, and also does a very good motorbike and car alarm.:wink2:

Starlings are really wonderful mimics. If you've got one, it can sounds like an entire chorus of birds! They're a bit of a pest here though, they are originally from Europe and have no natural predators here in Canada, so there are millions of them all over the country.

Why yes I believe they both are :) One was taken in Squamish out in the middle of no where, and one in Vancouver in my front yard :)

We don't get them in Britain much unless they decide to cross the Channel

Day present!!

I started feeding the birds and it costs me a fortune now - different food for different birds. And rooks have started dropping in now. The house looks like something from "The Birds" when they're all up on the roof.

I started feeding the birds and it costs me a fortune now - different food for different birds. And rooks have started dropping in now. The house looks like something from "The Birds" when they're all up on the roof.

I don't mind it - I just hate when the cat hides in the bushes that

the bird feeders are on. A water pistol takes care of that now though!! :wink2:

So - what were you going to write in the Official thread? :sneaky2:

there's gonna be a good fight between british columbia and scotland tonight!

the 2 wildlife environments i love the most!:wub2: :wub2:

it's going to be a loving night fo rme here....good for my poor troubled soul...go on please! :blush-anim-cl:

Reminds me of when I used to walk to work in the winter time, I started really early before the sun came up, and all these crows would be flying over. They made a stop at this little park near my work that I would walk by, and it was so creepy because every single place a bird could sit, there was one! There were hundreds of them, I would even go so far as to say thousands. I used to call it the "Crossing of the Crows", and it happened in the evening too as they headed back to the rookery. If it was an overcast day, they would be flying low, and you could hear the beat of thousands of wings overhead, very surreal!

it's going to be a loving night fo rme here....good for my poor troubled soul...go on please! :blush-anim-cl:

Stay close enough here to feel our warmth and affection dear Robi :wub2:

No fighting! it's all loving!! :) I have tons of pics I could post if you'd like LOL scenery, animals, insects, LOL