Sir Ian reveals his new-found pop buddy

dcdeb

Sir Ian reveals his new-found pop buddy

Dianne Bourne

Manchester Evening News

19/ 3/2008

THE on-stage proclamation by movie star Sir Ian McKellen at this year's Brit Awards that he hoped to meet young pop idol Mika has paid off, I hear.

For the The Lord Of The Rings star has revealed that his wish came true straight after the show.

The Bolton-raised actor was at the bash last month to present the Best British Band gong to the Arctic Monkeys.

And he's announced on his official website (http://www.mckellen.com/epost/bits/080304.htm) that making the bold statement on live television led to a meeting with the chart-topping singer of hits Grace Kelly, Love Today and Big Girl backstage.

Sir Ian said: "Before announcing the Arctic Monkeys as Best British Band, I confided that I had gone to the Brits in the hope of meeting Mika, another of the winners.

"Immediately after, I found him waiting for me at the backstage reception where I also met his mother and siblings.

"He invited me to see the final gig of his 18 month tour, at Brixton Academy, which was a fantastical party.

"Mika is a wonderful song-writer and showman and I'm looking forward to his second album."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz/s/1041536_sir_ian_reveals_his_newfound_pop_buddy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so sweet!! A celeb actually wanting to meet Mika (and saying it so publicly) just goes to show how big he really has gotten. Awww and that's sweet of Mika to wait for him backstage and invite him to his gig!!! It just goes to show what a truely sweet and genuine person Mika is :wub2:

Oh I thought that was just some guy in a Gandalf costume. :wink2:

Don't be mean that was the hobbo :roftl: mind you this means that while we were all making fools of ourselves he will have been with Mika's family looking down on us :naughty::naughty:

"He invited me to see the final gig of his 18 month tour, at Brixton Academy, which was a fantastical party.

Was he there and we didn´t see him? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I love Sir McKellen. I always thought he´s an amazing actor before Gandalf...

Don't be mean that was the hobbo :roftl: mind you this means that while we were all making fools of ourselves he will have been with Mika's family looking down on us :naughty::naughty:

Too bad he didn't come to the party. I could have chatted with him while whats-his-name was causing such a huge commotion.

Too bad he didn't come to the party. I could have chatted with him while whats-his-name was causing such a huge commotion.

there was a VIP party going on at the same time also. probably sir ian was attending that one.. :wink2:

I was so happy when Sir Ian made that 'announcement' at the Brits that I cheered!! :naughty:

He's always been a favourite of mine (and I've never even seen any of the LOTR films).

I'm glad he got his wish :wink2: I'm sure he was suitably impressed with the Mikster!

:naughty: That would actually have been amazing! Unless Sir Ian was doing a bit of fanboy mobbing too :mf_rosetinted:

I was so happy when Sir Ian made that 'announcement' at the Brits that I cheered!! :naughty:

He's always been a favourite of mine (and I've never even seen any of the LOTR films).

I'm glad he got his wish :wink2: I'm sure he was suitably impressed with the Mikster!

:naughty: That would actually have been amazing! Unless Sir Ian was doing a bit of fanboy mobbing too :mf_rosetinted:

teeeehheeeeee.... :roftl:

I have loved him far before LOTR too. he's such an amazing actor. :wub2: