Appleman, apples, cats, donuts, sarcasm, wizards (kind & fine), and WHATEVER part 4

Yoppappop

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some comments from the ladies about Paris:

Did everyone love this then?

I just hated it.

It left me just feeling empty.

I will probably look spectacular on dvd and perhaps was live if you were right at the front, but from where we were in the seated area (and they were quite good seats) the sound was terrible (to me) Mika looked manic, he was running around too much for his voice to be good.

And then to cap it all, David Whitmey....

I just wasn't feeling it at all.

The set and effects were good...the streamers at the end were really nice.

Afterwards, I just felt like, why am I here?

Just questioning everything. I lost it completely and it made me really sad that my Mika fandom had just totally fizzled out.

It was horrible. I really felt that I had just come to the end of the road with Mika.

Sorry to spoil your nice thread, but that's how I saw and felt about Paris on Friday.

Paris itself was fabulou though.

I know where you're coming from, and this is what I was trying to say. It was a great show, but because of the size of it, it's something that will look spectacular on tape, or from afar, but will never have the same feel that we love about his smaller gigs.

That is what it comes down to. For me, the experience was obviously different because when he came down to the catwalk we were as close as "usual", but I must admit that I would gladly change that for any of his smaller gigs, any time.

For me the Toronto gig cannot be beaten, for the reasons that I mentioned above: we were as close as you can get, and it was just about Mika and the music, that's all.

No artefacts ,etc.

These stadium shows are very impressive, and I am genuinely happy for him because he filled it and he should be proud, but to me it's not as good (and will never be) as a "small" gig, where he can actually communicate with us. And us with him.

These videos that I took this time are SO depressing. Half the time I can't even see what Mika is doing on stage!! So yes, of course I liked the gig, cause I don't think that I could ever go to a Mika gig and not enjoy it, I love the guy too much, but it certainly has that "mass" feeling that leaves one kind of thinking...hm...is this how I want things to end up being?

It's a bit like the clothes: all this designer hype, and to me they look quite ugly. I much prefer him in a plain Tshirt (preferably the one I made :roftl:) and some jeans, and delivering the music as it is. Simple, honest, genuine.

No circus, no fanfair, no special effects.

No backing singers doing raps as fillers:thumbdown:.

I loved I just Can't Get Enough so much, yet that rap killed it for me, lol!!

Having said all this, I really would not have missed this for anything. I really wanted to be there for Mika's first massive gig, after seeing how much it meant to him, but I do hope that he remembers that smaller gigs are much much nicer for his audience and never stops doing them.

Or I would definitely be off, I am not prepared to do this again and again. I'd do it again in Wembley and that is it.

It's too horrible to wait for so many hours, have all those crowd issues, not be able to go to the toilet for hours (and need to drink cause of the heat), sit through a few acts that you don't care about, and then only see him properly or half decently for about a quarter of the time that he's on stage.

I agree, with these points. I hated it, but I am glad I saw it. Now I really do know that these kind of gigs are not for me.

The crowd was awesome though, just looking out over the stadium the size of the crowd was unbelieveable, and well done to Mika for that, if he can sell out that size of gig, then of course he will, it's just not for me.

The effects were good, but again we couldn't see the full effect, but kudos to him for pulling it off.

I mean, there were 54,999 other people that probably enjoyed it, so I don't expect Mika will lose too much sleep over my opinion.

However, Arras was a totally different matter. Much more relaxed, much more spontaneous, much more casual, much more Mika. I loved it. It made me remember why I am here and why I'm not ready to bale out just yet.

Fantastic gig, thanks Mika.

I really just cannot be bothered to care about Mika's latest gigs, or even to read the forum while that's being talked about. It just seems like too much work to catch up to bother.

Whatever, he played something somewhere. Whatever, he had clowns. Whatever, "Relax" sucked. Whatever, there's a new song, it's pretty good. Sigh.

Maybe the resident apples who were there could give the the cogent details and interesting parts of their experiences in a nutshell? I wanted to read Sariflor's and babs' review but got lost in the looooooong gig thread...

--Jack

*sneaks into strange foreign turf with rosebuds*

I feel exactly the same. Are you a gig virgin? That's my problem I'm too bitter to bother :)

*sneaks back out of thread with rosebuds*

thanks for those bits Christine. I looked at the thread for Werchter and then after I got lost on the Paris party thread, I just couldn't be bothered searching the gig threads when really (and this will probably sound really awful) there were only a few people's reviews I was especially interested in seeing. I'm sure I'll catch up with the threads eventually, just don't want to right now.

It's a bit like the clothes: all this designer hype, and to me they look quite ugly. I much prefer him in a plain Tshirt (preferably the one I made ) and some jeans, and delivering the music as it is. Simple, honest, genuine.

No circus, no fanfair, no special effects.

No backing singers doing raps as fillers.

100% agreed.

Chickadee you probably know, we decided to try something different this time for the gig reporting, and the first post of each report thread is being updated by the mods with photos, vids etc as they come in.

I have been working OVERTIME trying to be get first pics/vids on the threads after gigs, because everyone who was there is either not home yet, partying on (like tonight in the MFC hotel at rockinbabzz' place) or it is the middle of their night. Being my daytime, I can waste it all on here.

That being said, I am going a little crazy with the banter on the waiting threads this year. Last year there were more oldlings on there with me. This year it is like hanging out endlessly with my own kids:mf_rosetinted:

So I am very glad reports and chatter are on different threads.

You can only take so much.

*waves to jack*

Chickadee you probably know, we decided to try something different this time for the gig reporting, and the first post of each report thread is being updated by the mods with photos, vids etc as they come in.

I have been working OVERTIME trying to be get first pics/vids on the threads after gigs, because everyone who was there is either not home yet, partying on (like tonight in the MFC hotel at rockinbabzz' place) or it is the middle of their night. Being my daytime, I can waste it all on here.

That being said, I am going a little crazy with the banter on the waiting threads this year. Last year there were more oldlings on there with me. This year it is like hanging out endlessly with my own kids:mf_rosetinted:

So I am very glad reports and chatter are on different threads.

You can only take so much.

*waves to jack*

Thanks BS. I was aware of the new format and I think it has merit, but....

I like some of the chatter. Some of it is useful, some of it is amusing, but some of it is trivial in the extreme and I get tired of it. (And some of it is off topic but useful or amusing or trivial... etc)

I appreciate people putting the links to important stuff on the front page, but there are little gems sometimes that may only be gems to me that are lost in the thread as a whole and I can't be bothered to go looking for them and I also can't expect the mods etc to be able to read my mind and know what I'm going to think is worth reading.

There are certain people who I generally respect the opinion of or who always have an interesting take on things that makes me want to find their reports, but if I just look for those particular people's reports I could miss other interesting stuff. Still, I'll take my chances atm as I just don't have the time or inclination to read the whole lot.

Thanks Zoots for the update and Christine for posting Babs and Sariflors posts. They are the ones I wanted to read. You've saved me from venturing into "happy" territory.

And Jack, I can't be assed reading the threads either. In fact, I've made a pact with myself not to read them simply because last time I read them I got annoyed that we'll never get it here.. Now please don't anyone quote me and say "I'm sorry... Oh.. it's not fair" etc. No one here is to blame. I don't say it to get pity. It's just a stupid geographical fact and the curse of living in such a wonderful far away land.

Heya Mzeee. :flowers2: You? bitter?? neverrrrr..

Thanks Zoots for the update and Christine for posting Babs and Sariflors posts. They are the ones I wanted to read. You've saved me from venturing into "happy" territory.

And Jack, I can't be assed reading the threads either. In fact, I've made a pact with myself not to read them simply because last time I read them I got annoyed that we'll never get it here.. Now please don't anyone quote me and say "I'm sorry... Oh.. it's not fair" etc. No one here is to blame. I don't say it to get pity. It's just a stupid geographical fact and the curse of living in such a wonderful far away land.

Heya Mzeee. :flowers2: You? bitter?? neverrrrr..

I love how you're the ONE person who says something to acknowledge my existance :naughty:

:sneaky2: Sheesh.

Sarcasm is not pretty kel!

I love how you're the ONE person who says something to acknowledge my existance :naughty:

:sneaky2: Sheesh.

Sarcasm is not pretty kel!

No, dear. Vomiting on your date is not pretty.

Sarcasm is simply mostly misunderstood. :naughty:

*sneaks into strange foreign turf with rosebuds*

I feel exactly the same. Are you a gig virgin? That's my problem I'm too bitter to bother :)

*sneaks back out of thread with rosebuds*

Nope hon, I've been to three shows already. I am just over the initial Mika rush, and like Kels I don't care so much what he's doing when it's so far from me anyway... although unlike Kels part of my apathy is "I'll see it anyway when he comes here."

Christine, thanks, you posted the very exact posts that I'd already read. :thumb_yello: You may or may not remember that at one time I was trying to keep up with everything on the forums--I think I retained my skills for going into a thread and quickly picking up most of the important stuff since then. :naughty:

I really do appreciate the mods putting all the vids and pics on the front page of the report threads though. That is wonderfully convenient for me.

My take on the big new show and the ever-expanding array of backup singers, accent musicians, etc: I kind of wish that Mika would remember that he's not putting on a show, he is the show. The ringmaster outfit was cute, but I don't want him to be an actual ringmaster--I want to go to a MIKA gig, not some random circus extravaganza that just happens to have Mika as master of ceremonies!

From what I saw of the Paris set-up, it looked fun and terrific, but it also looked like the set and the bells and whistles were taking over everything else.

I appreciate the desire to have one's own circus or one's own Broadway musical, but I'd rather these were side projects for him rather than what he's turning his gigs into. Because much as I'd love to see him sing on Broadway in a starring role with a great backing cast, on his own tours, I want his role to be the ONLY role.

--Jack

Nope hon, I've been to three shows already. I am just over the initial Mika rush, and like Kels I don't care so much what he's doing when it's so far from me anyway... although unlike Kels part of my apathy is "I'll see it anyway when he comes here."

Christine, thanks, you posted the very exact posts that I'd already read. :thumb_yello: You may or may not remember that at one time I was trying to keep up with everything on the forums--I think I retained my skills for going into a thread and quickly picking up most of the important stuff since then. :naughty:

I really do appreciate the mods putting all the vids and pics on the front page of the report threads though. That is wonderfully convenient for me.

My take on the big new show and the ever-expanding array of backup singers, accent musicians, etc: I kind of wish that Mika would remember that he's not putting on a show, he is the show. The ringmaster outfit was cute, but I don't want him to be an actual ringmaster--I want to go to a MIKA gig, not some random circus extravaganza that just happens to have Mika as master of ceremonies!

From what I saw of the Paris set-up, it looked fun and terrific, but it also looked like the set and the bells and whistles were taking over everything else.

I appreciate the desire to have one's own circus or one's own Broadway musical, but I'd rather these were side projects for him rather than what he's turning his gigs into. Because much as I'd love to see him sing on Broadway in a starring role with a great backing cast, on his own tours, I want his role to be the ONLY role.

--Jack

I've heard the same kinds of sentiments expressed elsewhere, but you have such a way with words Jack.

Did I ever get to tell you that I read your apple story? It was right before the forum crashed for the whole weekend if I remember. Great story. Any reason why it's not coming to a good bookstore near me soon? It had great imagery, interesting twists and a moral. Perfect modern fairytale.

O hai,I feel I belong here now ... I was the one being cold,hoping Mika would go away as fast as possible so that I can get to my shower

Oh and,I have an issue with 2 brilliant finnish creatures who found it nice to spread the Feck you love to Rose and me

That's about it...and I hate Amsterdam

Welcome Ioana, welcome back Babs, Chickadee if you find me a publisher for weird short fairytales, I'll see what I can do about bookstores. :thumb_yello:

So hey. I went to Goodwill today and saw this thing. It was a doll. A clown doll. A clown wizard doll sitting on a trapeze. Ie, a little boy porcelain clown, on a trapeze, dressed in a clown suit with a pointy hat, and half the suit was blue, and the other half was purple with golden stars on it. It only costs $12. Should I get it for the Wiz? It would be ages till he came to America. And the thing is, the doll is pretty large--I'm guessing it's about the length of my arm from my elbow to my fingertips, and that's not including the pointy hat. (The weird measurement is courtesy for the fact that not all of us use inches.)

But it's so perfect. And yet so kitschy.

It's kinda like these dolls, except it actually has an attractive face (it looks like a little boy with blue clown makeup), better hair, and less ugly clothes:

puppetclown.jpg

464a_1.JPG

istockphoto_2047670_clown_doll_on_swing.jpg

Ie, it's cute rather than ugly, even if it's cute in a super cheesy way.

What do you guys think?

--Jack

Hey ladies!

Got back from Amsterdam (Blue's place) this evening. I'm tired but I don't seem to get a cold.

I can't be bothered to read the review thread about yesterday. I liked the show and especially Jack Sparro as support. And I had a great time waiting outside when everyone else was inside meeting Mika. What can I say? It was just a bad timing for following the natural needs after a looooong day :wink2:. And it was cold. And wet. Anyway, it was nice seeing the ones who have been there again.

Hey ladies!

Got back from Amsterdam (Blue's place) this evening. I'm tired but I don't seem to get a cold.

I can't be bothered to read the review thread about yesterday. I liked the show and especially Jack Sparro as support. And I had a great time waiting outside when everyone else was inside meeting Mika. What can I say? It was just a bad timing for following the natural needs after a looooong day :wink2:. And it was cold. And wet. Anyway, it was nice seeing the ones who have been there again.

What a bummer! Pfft I went to 2 and didn't see Mika after either, mind you after Paris I had nothing nice to say, so I thought I better keep my mouth shut, so didn't go near when he came out.

What a bummer! Pfft I went to 2 and didn't see Mika after either, mind you after Paris I had nothing nice to say, so I thought I better keep my mouth shut, so didn't go near when he came out.

We did something else with waiting for the others and not Mika outside this time. It was almost as exciting :naughty:. No seriously, I hope it doesn't become a rule that I have to cheer desperate fans up after every concert. That doesn't feel well :blink:. But it was a nice show though. Anyone interested in seeing Sam Sparro in October in Brighton with me?

We did something else with waiting for the others and not Mika outside this time. It was almost as exciting :naughty:. No seriously, I hope it doesn't become a rule that I have to cheer desperate fans up after every concert. That doesn't feel well :blink:. But it was a nice show though. Anyone interested in seeing Sam Sparro in October in Brighton with me?

I don't really like him. Jemma won tickets to see him and Duran Duran at the O2 last thursday, but we didn't go because we had to be up really early for the eurostar.....-

I don't really like him. Jemma won tickets to see him and Duran Duran at the O2 last thursday, but we didn't go because we had to be up really early for the eurostar.....-

Ooooh. He was so nice yesterday. I just saw he'll be in Brighton a few days after I arrived so if I'll find some people I guess I'll go there :naughty:. And he wore this really nice rain poncho yesterday :naughty:

I really just cannot be bothered to care about Mika's latest gigs, or even to read the forum while that's being talked about. It just seems like too much work to catch up to bother.

Whatever, he played something somewhere. Whatever, he had clowns. Whatever, "Relax" sucked. Whatever, there's a new song, it's pretty good. Sigh.

Maybe the resident apples who were there could give the the cogent details and interesting parts of their experiences in a nutshell? I wanted to read Sariflor's and babs' review but got lost in the looooooong gig thread...

--Jack

same here !! same here !!!! :punk:

maaaaaaaaaan !!! that Rain song is the most boring yet agressive for the ears song EVER !!!!!!! :blink: i finally listened to it from the paris gig recording (yes, i'm that rushed to get into his nex songs :wink2: ) but maaaaaaaaaaaaan... i wish i had waited a bit more... like... for ever ? :bleh:

no seriously... i don't like... nothing to see with How Much Do You Love Me that i really like... this one seems just whiny whiny whiny... maybe the studio version will make it better ?? maybe...