But he has been given strict doctor’s orders to rest for at least two weeks, so in the meantime, Garred has the task of attending to media interviews in the lead up to their first and only New Zealand performance at Rhythm & Vines. (And it's the only positive thing about all this - having Paul, the brains (and looks :das:), do the interviews.)

The Kooks are just one of the international headliners on the star-studded line up; their performance at R&V will come on the last legs of a major world tour to promote their sophomore album, Konk.

The band consist of Garred, guitarist and vocalist Luke Pritchard, lead guitarist Hugh Harris and temporary bassist Dan Logan :wub2: , who replaced Max Lafferty earlier this year. (:doh: Why didn't she google properly?)

Their cheerful, catchy blend of pop-rock is highly commercial but still has that element of indie that lends The Kooks a certain cool-factor. :lmfao:

Lead singer Luke Pritchard is a firm believer that music should make you feel good. (*is in love with Luke*) “If it doesn’t make you feel good, then what’s the point? There’s too much shoe-gazing sh*t around. I hate all that cack. You have to push through it. That’s where you get great songs.” (*loves Luke even more*)

The Kook’s debut album Inside In/Inside Out, released in 2006, was a massive hit for the young Brighton lads, selling over two million copies worldwide.

Singles such as ‘Ooh La’, ‘She Moves in Her Own Way’, and ‘Naïve’, made them a household name around the United Kingdom and favourites with the likes of NME, MTV and BBC Radio 1.

Sell-out shows around America followed and The Kooks were invited to support rock legends The Rolling Stones. (the Stones should support The Kooks IMO)

Released in April this year, the album Konk has surpassed their initial commercial success, peaking at number one on the United Kingdom album chart.

The band have further cemented their star status in the hard-to-crack US market, with their current successful tour.

But despite the initial hype that came with their first singles, Garred insists their fame is the result of a lot of hard work. “I think we always knew it would never be a one album wonder to make it. It takes a while, we need to build a reputation in the rest of the world not just Britain, and that takes time, it doesn’t happen overnight,” he says. (*falls for Paul instead*)

“With all of our favourite bands, they’ve taken their time. Gone are the days of playing The Ed O’Sullivan Show and suddenly you’re playing to several hundred thousand people. It’s different now.

You have to work. We’re confident we have worked enough on the back of the second album. It’s done its job and we’re happy. Soon we’re coming to the end of the campaign and looking forward to that.” (You know?)

They’ve come a long way since they first got together as schoolboys in 2004. Back then they were scruffy teenagers, playing some catchy tunes down at the local pub in Brighton.

“The real career highlight was getting the record deal and seeing it build up. Those early days were really precious and can never be taken away. Even though we couldn’t see how big it was at the time,” Garred says.

“I look back on it very fondly. We’ve all grown up living in each other’s pockets, we were all so rough with long hair, barely showered 18-years-olds, all crammed into this little van travelling around doing shows. It was cool. (Ugh. I wouldn't necessarily term it "cool" :blink:)

“Touring with the Rolling Stones and playing Glastonbury and V-Fest, that all came a bit later. But to experience those things was phenomenal. It’s an experience you’ll never be able to take away. It happened, it’s set in stone.”

They may have played Glastonbury and shared a stage with Mick Jagger, but they are still yet to experience New Zealand.

Rhythm & Vines will be their first gig in Aotearoa and it’s one they are very much looking forward to.

“I can’t wait to get to New Zealand, it’s an area of the world I’ve never been to,” Garred says. “Gisborne sounds really amazing. I haven’t got a clue what to expect, but from what I’ve been told it sounds cool.”

And what can we expect from them when they play on the first day of the festival, with the likes of Franz Ferdinand, Santogold and Digitalism?

“Well . . . I’ll be there,” he laughs. “You’ll see a line-up of The Kooks for the first time. I’m not too sure what we’re going to do. I kind of feel like we should write some new stuff and keep it a bit secret . . . but of course we’ll play the first and second album, plus dig out a few songs from our first mini album.”

They then head to Australia, followed by a tour of Japan which will mark an end of their second album campaign. “Then we will go home and write and record a third and even better album.” :woot_jump: (HOLY F*CK, how shall we survive that? *faints*)

“It’s very tentative and early at this stage; I’ve only heard a few of Luke’s songs so far. But our process is never a rigid one. Someone brings an idea in, and then everyone comes together and puts in a bit of work with it.

“We do what we like. And if we are happy with it, hopefully it will catch on with our audience members.” ( I love, I love, I love him. *faints again*)

- The Kooks play at Rhythm & Vines on December 29.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From today's NME magazine:

New Kooks Horror

The Kooks' Luke Pritchard may star in a horror film. "I'm talking to a female American director," he said. "It's a B-movie. It's going to be scary, but f*cked up."

(So I saw an injured Paul in Cologne?)

Hmm, I'm not sure, I thought he was talking about how he was at the twins' show?

Or didn't someone on the Kooks forum say they saw him actually playing a show a few weeks ago, a few weeks after he dissapeared ... like a few weeks after V or so?

(You know?)

:lmfao:

Thanks for the articles Petra. Sad about paul and his torn ligaments. Glad we got to meet him though. We knew when we saw him play during sound check that his arm hadn't totally healed, so he needs to get some rest. Wish he could've went to Mexico though, it seems like he really wanted to. We're in his same position. All of our family is in Mexico at the moment and we're stuck in IL.:thumbdown::naughty:

Thanks!!!

The Meyer Twins

Thanks for the articles Petra. Sad about paul and his torn ligaments. Glad we got to meet him though. We knew when we saw him play during sound check that his arm hadn't totally healed, so he needs to get some rest. Wish he could've went to Mexico though, it seems like he really wanted to. We're in his same position. All of our family is in Mexico at the moment and we're stuck in IL.

Thanks!!!

The Meyer Twins

Aw, why's that?

“Well . . . I’ll be there,” he laughs.

And I forgot to say: :stretcher::woot_jump::groovy::kachinga::biggrin2::mf_lustslow::stretcher:

Aw, why's that?

And I forgot to say: :stretcher::woot_jump::groovy::kachinga::biggrin2::mf_lustslow::stretcher:

You mean why aren't we in Mexico? Well it's there 4TH time in Mexico and we haven't gotten to go because of well you know financial reasons and the fact that we are college students (always an excuse). Some day some how though we will go somewhere out of the U.S.

The Twins

You mean why aren't we in Mexico? Well it's there 4TH time in Mexico and we haven't gotten to go because of well you know financial reasons and the fact that we are college students (always an excuse). Some day some how though we will go somewhere out of the U.S.

The Twins

Aww, that sucks :thumbdown:

They could have gone three times and paid for you guys once :naughty: And gone in the holidays, selfish people :sneaky2:

OMG!!!!! The Kooks were awesome on Jay Leno last night here in the U.S.!!!!! OMG! Loved seeing them on the tv rockin' it out. Plus a bonus was that The Whigs were on Jimmy Kimmel last night as well so we went balistic!

The Twins

P.S. for those of you who didn't see it, The Kooks sang Always Where I Need To Be.

What??? Why?? but they were supposed to be there NOW!! :blink:

Here is their message:sad:

We can confirm that our original drummer, Paul Garred, looks set to return to the fold after a long layoff with a serious arm injury.

Thankfully, the doctors have given him an all-clear to start light drumming at the start of November which means he should be fit and ready for our first date on our European tour in Nantes, France.

With this in mind, we have decided to reschedule our tour of Japan until January 2009 so Paul can rehearse and play these shows. They will probably be our last performances for a while as we are set to go back into the studio for some new recordings.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this but we do want to assure our fans in Japan that we want to give them the best show that we possibly can. Paul coming back sooner than originally planned means that we can visit Japan after our trip to Australia in the New Year. Japan is one of our favourite countries in the world so this would be a great tour to finish on.

Luke, Hugh, Paul and Peter

Here is their message:sad: :

We can confirm that our original drummer, Paul Garred, looks set to return to the fold after a long layoff with a serious arm injury.

Thankfully, the doctors have given him an all-clear to start light drumming at the start of November which means he should be fit and ready for our first date on our European tour in Nantes, France.

With this in mind, we have decided to reschedule our tour of Japan until January 2009 so Paul can rehearse and play these shows. They will probably be our last performances for a while as we are set to go back into the studio for some new recordings.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this but we do want to assure our fans in Japan that we want to give them the best show that we possibly can. Paul coming back sooner than originally planned means that we can visit Japan after our trip to Australia in the New Year. Japan is one of our favourite countries in the world so this would be a great tour to finish on.

Luke, Hugh, Paul and Peter

WOW.. Did you get that in an email? Holy ****.

Good thing:

- Paul is coming back!! Finally!!!

- It's postponed, not cancelled.

Bad thing:

- Peter (I hate that name :crybaby:)

- postponed

****. I am FRICKING sorry!!!!!! :boxed::crybaby:

Edited by Petra

It sucks that they are supposed to be there and they AREN'T :crybaby: but it's brilliant that you get to see Paul :das:

But I think in the excitement we have all missed something!!

They will probably be our last performances for a while as we are set to go back into the studio for some new recordings.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT? Another album already????? :shocked:

No it's on Japanese official site.

http://www.emimusic.jp/intl/kooks/

Yeah, the new date is January 13....it can be my birthday present.

Is that your birthday?? That is perfect! :biggrin2:

And: OMG What is that Mini Album!!?? I want it! DVD! :drool:

THAT is the "mini album" Paul was talking about!

everyone got the stickers at the same time?!?!...strange...

SAME HERE!!! :wub2::punk:

Omg, really? That is weird, we're all in totally different countries :naughty:

OMFG LOOK AT THIS!: http://www8.pictures.zimbio.com/pilot?ID=L4KyidVMy2h&ZURL=%2FLuke%2BPritchard%2Fnews&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nme.com%2Fnews%2Fthe-kooks%2F40607

"The new album won't be out until the middle of next year as I've got a few things I want to work on first,” he said.

“I felt like we were rammed down the British public's throats for so long I really think we need a long period of time away.”

Talking about the film, Pritchard added: "It's a scary horror B type film. It's going to be really cheesy but ****ed up with a bit of Paris Texas thrown in. It sounds great. I think it will be fun to try out something a bit different."

The singer also revealed that he and guitarist Hugh Harris were planning a new side project, which will include a collaboration with Beirut.