Freddies English Teaching Course

Aha. I heard about people who pronounced Mica in a wrong way. So, normally and correctly, these two names are pronounced absolutely identically, and some of the MFC-ers, while quoting someones words (as in the case of Norbert story in a gig), say Mica instead of Mika only at their discretion (depending on the situation)?

And of course there is the mineral mica, pronounced my-ka, which is the glittery stiff you see in rocks like granite :naughty:

Oh yes I forgot about that lol

Aha. I heard about people who pronounced Mica in a wrong way. So, normally and correctly, these two names are pronounced absolutely identically, and some of the MFC-ers, while quoting someones words (as in the case of Norbert story in a gig), say Mica instead of Mika only at their discretion (depending on the situation)?

People sometimes call Mika "Mica" because it's his "real" name (although it's actually Michael, but no-one calls him that do they...) and because it's more "personal" or whatever. For goodness sake, he changed it to Mika, so let it stay that way IMO...

Oh yes I forgot about that lol

People sometimes call Mika "Mica" because it's his "real" name (although it's actually Michael, but no-one calls him that do they...) and because it's more "personal" or whatever. For goodness sake, he changed it to Mika, so let it stay that way IMO...

Yes, and sometimes they say Mica when they refer to his childhood part of life. Mika suits him better, anyway :wink2:

Thank you!

I have a problem to know when it's supposed to be of or off!

Am I the only one?:blush-anim-cl:

'Of' is can be used to indicate direction, deprivation and separation. Such as 'the school is within a kilometer of the library', 'to be robbed of one's money' or 'the car is to the south of the pole'.

'Off' is used when something is no longer attached. Such as 'she had her cut off', 'the door handle came off' or 'he took his hat off'.

'Of' is can be used to indicate direction, deprivation and separation. Such as 'the school is within a kilometer of the library', 'to be robbed of one's money' or 'the car is to the south of the pole'.

'Off' is used when something is no longer attached. Such as 'she had her cut off', 'the door handle came off' or 'he took his hat off'.

:shocked: She had her what cut off? :naughty:

Few days ago I watched a movie and there was a dialogue like: Do you think so? - I know so..

Is it correct? I thought that there should be - I know that, or at least-I do.. :boxed:

I know so- sounds sooo weird for me:naughty:

Few days ago I watched a movie and there was a dialogue like: Do you think so? - I know so..

Is it correct? I thought that there should be - I know that, or at least-I do.. :boxed:

It's not grammatically correct, but is often used in speech for dramatic emphasis

yes ... that works .. "you think so? , I KNOW so"

This is saying .. you think your right on that? , well I KNOW its right as I have the correct information :wink2:

It's not grammatically correct, but is often used in speech for dramatic emphasis

yes ... that works .. "you think so? , I KNOW so"

This is saying .. you think your right on that? , well I KNOW its right as I have the correct information :wink2:

Oh, get it! :thumb_yello: Thanks :wink2:

i can't find the lyrics to Madeline Bell - That's what friends are for

therefore, i've tried to type it in ... but there are some gaps (i can't recognize the words)

could you please help to fill them in and correct me if i heard smth wrong ?

Here's the link to the song:

Running away from life is hard to do

Especially when there’s nothing else for you

Just have a little patience coz life will never make sense

Unless you have lived and learnt all the facts for yourself

It’s really nice to know that you’re my friend

And that you let me call you now and then

If I had many problems I know you’ll help me solve them

And stand by my side, lend a hand, be my guide to the end

Oh, I’d do the same for you I’d even take the pain for you

If I could (?) I might do any good

Change your darkest night to day if only I could

Well, you know, I would

I wish I could do a whole lot more

Haven’t I told you this before

Isn’t that what a friend is for

That’s what friends are for

So if you ???? feel right do the ????

You know I’ll stay by you through it (?) and then

Don’t think twice I’m only

I mean it the way you’re belong with me (lonely?)

Whenever the life ain’t so bad when you know

You’re my friend, man, take it easy

And absolutely NEVER should of, might of, could of etc., no matter what people sound as if they're saying; it's always 've (have)

And my eyes filled in 'hair' for what was cut off.....

I don't know, I'm just throwning this out there because I like this thread (though I already know english) but wouldn't it be cool to do other threads like this but with other languages? Just an idea.

It's a nice thought but I don't think anyone would be interested in learning Swedish!:wink2:

I wouldn't mind a thread for the basics in Spanish though, learning Spanish is on my to-do list!:thumb_yello:

I'm still confused about the of and off, sorry, and I keep mixing them, at least I think so since I don't know where it should be one or the other!:teehee:

It's a nice thought but I don't think anyone would be interested in learning Swedish!:wink2:

I wouldn't mind a thread for the basics in Spanish though, learning Spanish is on my to-do list!:thumb_yello:

I'm still confused about the of and off, sorry, and I keep mixing them, at least I think so since I don't know where it should be one or the other!:teehee:

Hmmmmm off basically it used more as a distance or movement adverb ... to fall OFF a cliff , turn something OFF

Of is desribing something .. a packet of crisps , a bar of chocolate etc:thumb_yello:

Hmmmmm off basically it used more as a distance or movement adverb ... to fall OFF a cliff , turn something OFF

Of is desribing something .. a packet of crisps , a bar of chocolate etc:thumb_yello:

Oh thanks! Yes a little clearer now!:biggrin2:

And please don't forget to correct me if I'm using it wrongly, I really want to learn this!:blush-anim-cl:

Oh thanks! Yes a little clearer now!:biggrin2:

And please don't forget to correct me if I'm using it wrongly, I really want to learn this!:blush-anim-cl:

Sure will do ! or write an example of where you are stuck and we can help advise :thumb_yello:

Sod OFF is a great expression :naughty:

Okay, now I maybe have a strange question, but I really need to know now.. :naughty:

(this is bugging me since I became a member 3 years ago.. :roftl:)

But "General Chin Wagging", is that just a name or does it really mean anything?? :teehee:

Okay, now I maybe have a strange question, but I really need to know now.. :naughty:

(this is bugging me since I became a member 3 years ago.. :roftl:)

But "General Chin Wagging", is that just a name or does it really mean anything?? :teehee:

"Chin Wagging" means talk, or gossip.

"OMGOSH, what happened to Mr. and Mrs. Couple?? They split up?? Juicy!! I'm at work at the moment, but I'll call you back when I'm on my break - I need a good chin wag!"

"OMGOSH, what happened to Mr. and Mrs. Couple?? They split up?? Juicy!! I'm at work at the moment, but I'll call you back when I'm on my break - I need a good chin wag!"

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

True

You chin wagger

Yaaay, thanks..:biggrin2:

When I was still a newbie, I thought it was a name of a chinese General named Chin.. :lmfao:

But ofcourse, NOW I know better..:mf_rosetinted:

It's a British term isn't it? I remember this interview on Ellen, and I she didn't know what it meant... I think :naughty: