Freddies English Teaching Course

ok, question!!!:biggrin2:

you can say:"im freaking out"

but can you also say"im freaking"

cause i heard that on a tv show and i was like:blink: it sounds odd

I think it's just a careless way to say it, as in any spoken language you use shortenings and the way we talk are not always the way we would write it!

Just a guess from a not native English speaker since you seem a little abandon in here!:naughty:

I have a question too....:wink2:

Since the first year I'm studying english, I was taught the subject IT goes with IS and DOES , for example:

It is a dog / does it belong to you?

but why, when Mika is singing 'My interpretation' he says: "...and it DON'T make sense..." isn't it gramatically wrong?? :aah:

Yes it is grammatically wrong, but like in the previous example I would call it spoken language. You get it a lot in poetry and lyrics, maybe it's for the dramatic impact?:teehee:

I think it's just a careless way to say it, as in any spoken language you use shortenings and the way we talk are not always the way we would write it!

Just a guess from a not native English speaker since you seem a little abandon in here!:naughty:

Yes it is grammatically wrong, but like in the previous example I would call it spoken language. You get it a lot in poetry and lyrics, maybe it's for the dramatic impact?:teehee:

oooooooooh

we learn so many things on mfc:teehee:

I wanna make a question..

also,too and as well,do these words mean the same???

when I write,where I put,also,too and as well???

thank you...:wink2:

I also like Mika. (In the middle)

I like Mika too. (In the end)

But I don't know about the as well..

You would say "I like Mika as well"

I have a question too....:wink2:

Since the first year I'm studying english, I was taught the subject IT goes with IS and DOES , for example:

It is a dog / does it belong to you?

but why, when Mika is singing 'My interpretation' he says: "...and it DON'T make sense..." isn't it gramatically wrong?? :aah:

It should be "It doesn't make sense", but that is too long for the line of the song :naughty: As Sienna says, the short form is used for impact - we would say it is poetic licence.

You would say "I like Mika as well"

It should be "It doesn't make sense", but that is too long for the line of the song :naughty: As Sienna says, the short form is used for impact - we would say it is poetic licence.

I was thinking about this line for several years (is it wrong? so why Mika says so?), but never thought about asking you here! Thank you, and thanks ce_mika for asking :thumb_yello:

"don't make sense" is the incorrect way of saying "it doesn't make sense" but common folk tend to do this a lot.

Thank you for the help! :wink2::flowers2:

can a native english speaker explain when is it ok and acceptable to call people "hun" or "honey" or any endearing words (sweetie, babe, baby, love etc...) ?

to me, a french speaker, i would only use those on people i really know well and that i truly love.

is it the same in english? :blush-anim-cl:

can a native english speaker explain when is it ok and acceptable to call people "hun" or "honey" or any endearing words (sweetie, babe, baby, love etc...) ?

to me, a french speaker, i would only use those on people i really know well and that i truly love.

is it the same in english? :blush-anim-cl:

Yes it's the same in English. I think the only people you would call honey is your boyfriend, husband or child. Not even other people you are close to like your parents or siblings.

The only other usage would be patronizing and sarcastic like "Listen honey..."

Yes it's the same in English. I think the only people you would call honey is your boyfriend, husband or child. Not even other people you are close to like your parents or siblings.

But...I've been called "hun" by not only one, but a couple of salespersons in shops in California.

What can I do for you hun?

How can I help you hun?

:biggrin2:

Maybe it's California thing?

And even in this forum...in a PM...by a mod!:teehee:But when I think about it... maybe it was meant to be patronising?:naughty:

It also depends on how "friendly" you are. I mean, I know you can still be friendly and not use any term of endearments, but I use terms of endearments with my friends often. I find that - depending on the person - if you use these kind of words on people you've only just met it helps break tension a bit. If someone recently joined work and needed help or something, I found that using terms of endearments also made you a bit more approachable. But again, that's only with certain people.

I personally don't mind being called hun, or whatever, but it grates me very much when a random dude in the street calls me "babe" or whatever, because it's used with a different meaning.

hmmm i call my boys honey :teehee:

another term i use alot is "pumpkin" :teehee:

i don't particularly like being called honey by strangers. it puts me on guard, for some reason. (as in this person is trying to be too friendly, keep your eyes opened)

i don't like being called "dear" but i don't mind it as much.

But...I've been called "hun" by not only one, but a couple of salespersons in shops in California.

What can I do for you hun?

How can I help you hun?

:biggrin2:

Maybe it's California thing?

And even in this forum...in a PM...by a mod!:teehee:But when I think about it... maybe it was meant to be patronising?:naughty:

:naughty: perhaps this mod thought of you as a friend, or perhaps, a non native english speaker. i find that non native english speakers tend to over use that term. :teehee:

was it me??? :aah:

It's one of those strange quirks of English - that terms of endearment get used to address total strangers. In Sheffield for example, you will be addressed as "love" by shop staff or bus drivers. What I hate is being called "duck", "honey" is quite nice compared to that :naughty:

It's one of those strange quirks of English - that terms of endearment get used to address total strangers. In Sheffield for example, you will be addressed as "love" by shop staff or bus drivers. What I hate is being called "duck", "honey" is quite nice compared to that :naughty:

:lmfao:

Duck? Is that an England thing, or just a Sheffield thing? I wanna be called duck. :roftl:

Duck? Is that an England thing, or just a Sheffield thing? I wanna be called duck. :roftl:

It's Midlands rather than just Sheffield, I think.

In the West Country you might get called "my lover", and in Scotland you might get called "hen".

duck??? :lmfao: this is a new one to me! i think it's cute! :teehee:

It's Midlands rather than just Sheffield, I think.

In the West Country you might get called "my lover", and in Scotland you might get called "hen".

hen??? :aah: i don't like that one :no:

And also in other parts of England. In the North East you may be addressed as pet.

I think any of these terms sound really odd when being used by a non English speaker though.

Oh, I like how they call you "love" in England. I think it sounds very sweet:blush-anim-cl: Do people say "duck?" I would be like :shocked: if someone came up to me and said "How are you duck?":naughty:

I actually like that in the US or in England, people use terms of endearment. It makes you feel there's less of a barrier between you and that person, and I find it very friendly. Here in Japan, we don't really have terms like these, and speak very politely to people we don't know, and so I feel it creates somewhat of a distance between people. I guess it's just a difference in culture:)

eurgh duck. yeah. My grandad lives in Cornwall and he married this lady a few years ago. She's lovely and all, but whenever I talk to her on the phone she always calls me duck. It's so weird. Duck? Except that, because they have farmer accents, it's pronounced "dook" :roftl:

Edited by CazGirl

eurgh duck. yeah. My grandad lives in Cornwall and he married this lady a few years ago. She's lovely and all, but whenever I talk to her on the phone she always calls me duck. It's so weird. Duck? Except that, because they have farmer accents, it's pronounced "dook" :roftl:

"How are you doing my dook?":roftl:

And also in other parts of England. In the North East you may be addressed as pet.

I think any of these terms sound really odd when being used by a non English speaker though.

it takes time to master their usage properly :blush-anim-cl:

i think i use "honey" with my kids more to emphasize it's because i love them that i'm saying something, like

"but honey, it isn't save for you to drive at 100 mph" :blush-anim-cl:

"How are you doing my dook?":roftl:

pretty much it!

i think i use "honey" with my kids more to emphasize it's because i love them that i'm saying something, like

Safe :mf_rosetinted:

Just out of curiosity, how would you use "honey" in French? Would it be something like "mon petit miel?" Sorry If I'm totally off:teehee:

Just out of curiosity, how would you use "honey" in French? Would it be something like "mon petit miel?" Sorry If I'm totally off:teehee:

ask the frenchies, this is the English thread :mf_rosetinted:

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

No I'm kidding. I'd be totally happy to help if I knew.