Freddies English Teaching Course

@ Guylaine! I'm so happy we've got the same terms... sometimes we've got completely different words, like "chum" for boyfriend which is not used in France.

:naughty: we probably use it more then the english people.

i think in english, it means a male friend only.

in Quebec french, it can be used for "a male friend" and yes also "boyfriend" go figure :naughty:

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterflygal View Post

Just out of curiosity, how would you use "honey" in French? Would it be something like "mon petit miel?" Sorry If I'm totally off

we don't use "mon petit miel" as a matter of fact, french do not use many endearing terms.

we do use "mon amour"

We also say "mon coeur", "mon trésor"

Merci macboll et Guylaine! Ahh, j'ai besoin d'un thread qui m'enseignerais le français:naughty: J'ai toujours difficulté avec des termes familiers.....

Merci macboll et Guylaine! Ahh, j'ai besoin d'un thread qui m'enseignerais le français:naughty: J'ai toujours difficulté avec des termes familiers.....

you're welcome! I also say "mon ange" (my angel) to my son, and "ma puce" (my flea :shocked: Don't worry! In this context, it's got a positive meaning. It does not mean that she is a pest. It's just an affectionate term) or "mon amour" to my daughter

you're welcome! I also say "mon ange" (my angel) to my son, and "ma puce" (my flea :shocked: Don't worry! In this context, it's got a positive meaning. It does not mean that she is a pest. It's just an affectionate term) or "mon amour" to my daughter

:roftl::roftl: This I did not know! Thank you:huglove:

Three questions: :pinkbow:

- ... wether or not this may reasonably be represented by ...

or ... wether or not this may be reasonably represented by... ?

('cause in my book, they used the first option, but the person sitting next me (a native speaker) used the 2nd option :aah:)

- ... where help can be more easily given or ... where help can be given more easily?

- I am trying really hard to not read or I am trying really hard not to read?

Thanks!

Hi there:bye:

I'm not exactly a native English speaker, but I think both are grammatically correct, and the latter ones sound more colloquial. That's probably why the native English speaker used it. I hope this helps:wink2: Oh, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

We tend to say "my puce" to little girls in the North of France (where I live) and in the South aswell. Do people say that in Belgium, Luxemburg or Canada too?

I'd like to find out as well. It's interesting, how, even though it's the same language, they are a little bit different depending on the region. :)

Three questions: :pinkbow:

- ... wether or not this may reasonably be represented by ...

or ... wether or not this may be reasonably represented by... ?

('cause in my book, they used the first option, but the person sitting next me (a native speaker) used the 2nd option :aah:)

- ... where help can be more easily given or ... where help can be given more easily?

- I am trying really hard to not read or I am trying really hard not to read?

Thanks!

Well first of all the word is "whether" ("wether" is a term for a sheep :teehee:)

In your first example, it is working out where "reasonably" fits in with "may be represented by"; the first version is grammatically correct. (A native speaker can still be grammatically wrong :naughty:).

With your other examples, it would be helpful to know the rest of the sentences. From what you have quoted, I would go for "where help can be more easily given" and "I am trying really hard not to read".

Well first of all the word is "whether" ("wether" is a term for a sheep :teehee:)

:doh: Gosh, I know that, that's such a stupid mistake. :aah:

In your first example, it is working out where "reasonably" fits in with "may be represented by"; the first version is grammatically correct. (A native speaker can still be grammatically wrong :naughty:).

With your other examples, it would be helpful to know the rest of the sentences. From what you have quoted, I would go for "where help can be more easily given" and "I am trying really hard not to read".

The full sentences are:

"The train will stop if any part of the train is in the station otherwise it will continue to the next stop where help can be more easily given" (sign on the tube, I do realise it's correct, I was just wondering if the other option was also possible)

and

"Yes I am rambling, can you tell that I am trying really hard to not read?" (also written by a native speaker)

Well, thanks a lot! :biggrin2:

Edited by roxy

"The train will stop if any part of the train is in the station otherwise it will continue to the next stop where help can be more easily given" (sign on the tube, I do realise it's correct, I was just wondering if the other option was also possible)

"help can be more easily given" is a more formal version, which is probably why it was used for a notice. But the other option is fine and is more likely to be used in everyday speech.

"Yes I am rambling, can you tell that I am trying really hard to not read?" (also written by a native speaker)

This is grammatically incorrect, but the speaker is trying to emphasise that they don't want to read something so are letting themselves be distracted :naughty:

I think both examples show that there is a difference between what you would write and what you might say.

"help can be more easily given" is a more formal version, which is probably why it was used for a notice. But the other option is fine and is more likely to be used in everyday speech.

This is grammatically incorrect, but the speaker is trying to emphasise that they don't want to read something so are letting themselves be distracted :naughty:

I think both examples show that there is a difference between what you would write and what you might say.

'....to not read ...' is wrong; it's a split infinitive - like 'to boldly go' in Star Trek which is wrong but we've got used to it.

Thanks ^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! Can you explain please the difference between quite and rather.

Which characterizes an object as better one?

e.g

The movie is quite good - it is really good

The movie is rather good - well, it is good, but ...just good.

Do I understand correctly? Or is it vice versa?

e.g

This is a tough one!

In your movie example, "rather good," could mean better than expected.

I'm not sure that one is necessarily better than the other. It depends on the context I think.

So, after leaving a 4 year old with me all day - "he has been quite good," would mean he'd been a monster, but I'm too polite to say so! And "he's been rather good," would mean better than expected, good. I think.

e.g

We normally teach that rather is usually found with adjectives having a negative meaning.

ex It was rather hot. = it means that it was unpleasant

ex The guy was rather annoying.

Quite is supposed to be used in the other way round.

Rather is also used to reinforce a positive meaning, as Ruth has just told you.

That's what we study in Italy and we usually teach students.

e.g

Oh this is interesting and because no native speaker has said anything yet I'll give it try!

In my point of view you have understood it correctly.:wink2:

Quite is a word with a positive touch and rather has the opposite effect!

If something is really good I would use quite but I'm not 100% sure because I think quite is used as some kind supplement sometimes, a word without proper meaning :teehee: but it sounds good in the context and a little posh!:biggrin2:

This is a tough one!

In your movie example, "rather good," could mean better than expected.

I'm not sure that one is necessarily better than the other. It depends on the context I think.

So, after leaving a 4 year old with me all day - "he has been quite good," would mean he'd been a monster, but I'm too polite to say so! And "he's been rather good," would mean better than expected, good. I think.

Ah well, you just turned my little assumption around :blush-anim-cl: but of course you're right, it can be that way too!:thumb_yello:

e.g

Well... I'm not a native speaker but...:biggrin2:

Like the other girls said ''quite'' is generally has a positive meaning...And with some verbs it may be used as ''completely'' ex: You're quite wrong!

And unlike quite, rather gives a negative meaning to your sentence...And just like laura* said before when it's used with negative adjectives it shows that you're not happy with the situation... If you say ''It's rather hot'' it means that you're uncomfortable with the weather...It's too hot for you... But if you say ''It's quite/fairly hot'' than it means that ''yes, it's hot but you're fine with it''

Also when you use rather with a positive adjective it generally imply surprise... So when you say ''The film was rather good'' it means that the film was better than you expected...

It's funny that, as a native English speaker, I'd know instantly if it were to be used wrongly but had absolutely never thought about these two words before.

And I'd forgotten the posh use of 'rather' that sienna refered to.

It can have a saucy sense too.

• 1 month later...
what's meaning of phrase "get off your low"?

Could you describe where you heard it? At a guess I would say it meant "Cheer up, get out of your low mood" - but I could be completely wrong.:teehee: