My Vacation (NJ/NYC) Report -- pics included

mandilambi

I promised a couple of people that I would share pictures and a report of my trip to NYC, so I thought I'd go ahead and share what I have already written on my myspace. I have been very slow-going with writing the whole report because I arrived home sick, so this is far from complete! But here ya go, nonetheless. :)

We left for St. Louis on June 13th and we stayed at a Hilton that was right next to the airport. It was super convenient and I thought the style of the Hilton was really cool. Very retro, 1960's-styled, which not everyone appreciated, but I thought it was kind of a nice change. Aaron, Katherine, and I got the most out of the hotel because we jumped on the beds and felt like little kids again. It was hilarious.

We got up early the next morning, so that we would make our 7:20am flight. Prior to this, I had never flown before, so it would be an understatement to say that I was just nervous. I woke up the morning of our flight and got an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach and had a mini-panic attack! I think the anticipation of the whole thing was the worst part of it all.

Everything went fine when our bags were checked. I found that whole process a little daunting because the staff was pushy and the whole thing came across as really chaotic to me. I thought to myself afterwards just how easy it might be to get a dangerous item through the security, simply because so much was going on all at once. I was nearly crushed when a female staff member handed me my unopened can of Mountain Dew and told me to throw it in the trash. I thought that I could take it on board with me and felt like I died a little inside to throw it away when it was full. haha...so sad..

The actual plane ride was not as bad as I had thought it would be, although I found some parts to be terrifying. Particularly, when the plane banked and taking off wasn't a joyful experience either. Although, I must admit that as we flew above the clouds and finally saw the sun shining, that was a lovely sight and quite unreal. There were many times during this trip that I said to myself how extremely clever God was when He created this world and the people in it.

That horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach didn't leave until, um, I was completely off of the plane! I certainly wasn't scared out of my mind during the flight, but I definitely wasn't comfortable either. I was glad to have my feet on the ground. :-)

It was great to be in Philly again! I really do like that city and I hope I can see more of it the next time we go. It's unreal to think that I was in St. Louis and only a couple of hours later I was in Philadelphia. That's unreal to me particularly because my family always drove for vacations....

We were all so glad once we got to Stone Harbor. Just being able to smell the seawater and see all the pretty houses is always a happy event for us! My uncle and aunt had arrived not long before we did and they were both glad to welcome us. One of the first things I did was go shopping with Evan and Caroline.... I must say that I LOVE shopping in Stone Harbor. Even just browsing at the shops is fun to me! I bought a book "Sundays at Tiffany's" by James Patterson and a black/white polka-dotted dress that is simply adorable!

We stayed at Stone Harbor on Saturday/Sunday and then on Monday/Tuesday we would be spending two days in New York. This was perfect timing because it gave us enough time to enjoy our time at Stone Harbor and then a sufficient amount of time to also enjoy New York as well. Also this enabled us to recuperate at the beach after our two days in NYC, which not suprisingly, was exactly what we needed!!!

Aaron's flying leap

l_465ec36feab64ad74a9f72d40fcac2e2.jpg

Aaron's crash

l_826023cf1f46c3a53d34ad131041c159.jpg

Me and Katherine running

l_b72c8c8a29a818deda27f24a0f045e8e.jpg

Flying!

l_20bc908959e649d3e74998dc8799acb0.jpg

Me (feeling terrified) and Caroline (feeling just fine)

l_cdbb44dd00bdea1aab75ac790623bf8e.jpg

Katherine clinging to Aaron

l_271b72e78725e66027c52b929bbdfc27.jpg

....to be continued.....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you had a great time! I still need to go there- shopping sounds like fun:biggrin2: (Oh, I feel the same way of airplanes, even though i've been in them a lot, don't worry) Cute pictnres:bleh: the other girl on the couch looks sort of like Kate Hudson. I like the sun in that last picture, very pretty.

Me and Katherine lazing on a Sunday afternoon

l_872a4eddc70e8d36d078d543653d7470.jpg

Riding on the NJ transit to NYC!

l_95961e264292bf05ae2c71e6c77dcbed.jpg

Part 2.

We left Stone Harbor around 6am, so that we would be on the earliest New Jersey transit to NYC. I thought the train ride was quite fun, especially as I hadn't been on a train for a long time. It was fairly cozy and it only took about an 1 1/2 to get to NYC.

As we rode into the New York area, the anticipation was becoming more and more intense as all of the skyscrapers began to appear. We all thought we had caught a glimpse of the Empire State Building at a faraway distance, which we pointed out and immediately made it well known that all of us were tourists....oh well!

When we got off the train, the first thing we did was go and buy our Metro card, which gave us unlimited rides on the subway for the whole day. We were all really pleased with that, especially since it was only $7.50! As we walked up the stairs to the sidewalk, one of the first sights that we saw was, incidentally, the Empire State Building. I have to say, it is one gorgeous building. From a distance and on the inside. It was definitely a welcoming sight!

l_ce0d2d31c28cec9e16b2de683700a750.jpg

We all took some photos in front of it and then walked on to see Macy*s! Macy*s is one of my favorite stores, so of course I was pushing for us to see it on this trip. I know now that every time I watch the Macy*s Day Parade that I'm going to yell "I've been there!" whenever they show it on TV. :-)

My home away from home....MACY*S!

l_459680c20134ebfb33c45d543f6a15a3.jpg

l_6825ca13d5d9ba5224b7a747e0f62bac.jpg

After seeing a few other sights, we took the Subway to Greenwich Village. I have to say I was somewhat shocked with the state of this area. I had always heard it was really trendy and a lovely place to visit, but it was really run down... Washington Park was not what I had imagined and I was surprised to see it looking quite filthy. There were a few buildings (I assume apartments) that were really pretty, though.

Me and Aaron at Washington Square

l_d8d628d93146920af0da347f469d25c7.jpg

Pretty buildings in Greenwich Village

l_7893ff8a089a313d27daf49c085ccbeb.jpg

Sounds like you had a great time! I still need to go there- shopping sounds like fun:biggrin2: (Oh, I feel the same way of airplanes, even though i've been in them a lot, don't worry) Cute pictnres:bleh: the other girl on the couch looks sort of like Kate Hudson. I like the sun in that last picture, very pretty.

Yeah, shopping was a lot of fun! I wish I could have spent more time there just to browse at the shops. Tiffany's was the best!

I think I'll probably never get used to riding in airplanes, but I'm definitely not as scared as I used to be either. I'll be sure to tell Katherine that you think she looks like Kate Hudson. What a compliment. :)

wow thats amazing! and that view loooks amazing! and pretty!

I like that pic too :)

Thanks ladies! I thought it was pretty too. :)

Subway ride

l_ebea7d8fc9f2c61aadb7cb896bae8ee9.jpg

l_41cc62a7b98baa99b086b05f2faa91ed.jpg

Our next stop was Ground Zero. I really have a difficult time putting my feelings into words about what I saw. Trying to imagine the Two Towers that were there and the day that all of the chaos of 911 occurred was almost impossible to do. The thing that I found I could imagine was all of the people running through the streets in fear and confusion over what was taking place. By the time we left, I got tears in my eyes thinking about that horrible, horrible day.

l_975c63271a1ff82f3fd969fc0f4da507.jpg

We went down Wallstreet and Broadway for a while and saw several sights, then our next stop was to eat at Grimaldi's Pizzeria underneath the Brooklyn Bridge. We had to wait in line behind about 10 people, but it was so worth it in the end! We were very tired from walking and by that time we were extremely hungry, too. The pizza was unlike any other pizza I've ever had. It was so delicious and the fact that I was so hungry certainly made the pizza all the better!

l_85da2a1f65f757e0bc016fd21f4beb9d.jpg

l_4201fd78d436bf54dde59d680aeb9a94.jpg

l_0eff2fd6fd908e56cd6a1a4f28ae510e.jpg

After the pizza, we got ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. I got chocolate and I must say it was also thoroughly delicious! We ate our ice cream out on the piers, while taking pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge and when we were finished we made our way up to the Bridge itself. I must say, the walk over the Brooklyn Bridge was quite difficult, especially in consideration that we had been walking non-stop up until that point. However, we all pulled through and I think we all enjoyed the sights despite how tired we were.

l_042be0f0a58a44567087b0c3c2475bc6.jpg

l_392cf001679f507c32894ca1ee132f2e.jpg

l_65a410e465e6b6237cb031cfc85635d1.jpg

l_75896311fad8b0866e65f82004e379dc.jpg

l_d48911022b71f51b1f90b2cbbe4c2c3d.jpg

Me and Caroline playing invisible chess

l_0ce3016eb9b132d492d204ef900aef40.jpg

When we got across, we all stopped and sat on a bench to figure out what we wanted to do next and to take a rest. Right as we were sitting down and looking at the map, an extremely loud thunderclap struck and nearly scared us to death! I was sitting by Aaron and basically grabbed onto him for protection! It was quite funny. :-) Then it started to sprinkle rain, which eventually turned into a lot of rain. We all began to run and we eventually found shelter in a US Bank.

When it rains it pours....

l_b168179692917c064b3e37ebc138a000.jpg

We were conflicted as to whether or not we should go ahead to Times Square or if we should just go to the hotel. In the end, we were all so tired that we decided to go to the hotel and see if the rain would let up. I think all of us were happy with that decision because our feet were in great need of a rest.

Yeah, shopping was a lot of fun! I wish I could have spent more time there just to browse at the shops. Tiffany's was the best!

I think I'll probably never get used to riding in airplanes, but I'm definitely not as scared as I used to be either. I'll be sure to tell Katherine that you think she looks like Kate Hudson. What a compliment. :)

Tiffany's! haha:wub2: Shopping is one of my "special skills"

The thing i really don't like about airplanes is that you can't get off., you're stuck until the captain lands the plane. I like being in charge instead.

Yes tell her! That is a compliment! Kate hudson is very pretty, and she plays Penny Lane in one of my favorite movies ever. (said the quote in my siggy!)

you and your brother don't look at all alike! lol

lol that's my older brother, Evan. He's a good lookin' guy! :)

indeed:naughty:

you're so lucky:punk:

i wish i could go to NY too,no hope:thumbdown:

Regarding the Greenwich Village thing... How's the renovation project in Washington Square Park going? Is the new fountain coming together yet at all?

I won't be able to find out myself for a couple more weeks, and I can't really find any other info on the internet about it so I thought I'd ask. :naughty: But judging from your description I'm guessing that it's still a bit rough around the edges.

Here's what it looked like in late March...

IMG_1413.jpg

Oh and here are some little birds on the steps of those pretty brownstones you photographed!

IMG_1446.jpg

I'm glad you had a fun time and I'll be back later to read/comment on the rest. :biggrin2:

We were all very happy once we found our hotel, The Milburn. It was in a pretty nice area, not too far from Central Park. We got our rooms and then went straight to Aaron and Katherine's room to see what it looked like and after seeing theirs we walked over to ours. I kid you not, people, it smelled like a mouse had died in that room! It was hilarious because we all smelled it, but we didn't want to complain because of Aaron's hard work in getting a cheap, but agreeable hotel. We eventually all commented on it and we couldn't help but crack up laughing at that point. It had been such a long day...all we could do was laugh. :) Aaron then went to the front desk to ask them to take care of the problem and we all left to eat dinner. Thankfully when we got back the smell had disappeared....

l_e6bac9b4a6ba8d487886186142567c41.jpg

l_35d1617a3ab3fe6f89d424934572424d.jpg

I *loved* this diner and would definitely go back! It was called the Manhattan Diner and the food/service was wonderful. The last picture is of our waiter that I thought was just awesome. He was very welcoming and funny. He told me that he thought I was a New Yorker before we told him we were from Missouri. :)

l_8712f2f65630b71111cb8cb117a50ee7.jpg

l_9c7418c0ddb67c4e34f2ffb585627de2.jpg

l_ce42426fe4cddedd1b7edcec25079672.jpg

Glad you had a good time! Hahah, did you go by East Village at all? Greenwich Village usually looks squeaky-clean to me because I prefer to hang out at the East Village... like, here is the bathroom in what used to be one of my favorite coffee shop places (now renovated and clean, sigh).

000aypb8.jpg

Washington Sq Park is usually pretty clean too... I think it was the renovation.

I like the grittyness of NY though. :blush-anim-cl:

Also, did you eat at other places than the diner on your second day? I am curious if you frequented any of the cute cafes in either of the Villages or TriBeCa or uptown.

--Jack

Thanks for posting, Mandi! I loved reading about your uber-holiday.

And that pic of you and your sister flying through the air is so, so perfect- one to hang onto for sure.

I just had this mental image of your future children looking at that and saying "Mommy, you and Auntie were sooooo silly!!" :lol3:

Thanks for the pics and the report Mandi. Glad you had a great time.

I love, love, love NY and that pizza is making me hungry!

You may actually find that you get used to flying if you do it often enough. I think it's normal for people to feel anxious the first few times. Doesn't mean you'll be an nervous flyer forever.