New blog!

lindemfc

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I'm on the side of those who think this whole contest is a bit of a disaster.

Looking just at MFC - how many people are on here who don't attend class or have jobs? And of those people, how many are students on summer break who couldn't possibly travel to Paris on a weekday without a parent or someone with them? That might leave a handful of college students on break, or maybe some stay-at-home mothers.

Even putting that aside - Mika takes the stage in about 60 hours. Let's assume that of those 60 hours, the person or people arranging this will be asleep for 16 of those 60 hours.

So within the next 44 hours, they're going to chose four different winners - then attempt to contact these winners by email, hope these people check their email multiple times a day, get in contact with these people, get their names and the names of their guests, arrange airfare, arrange accomodation, and arrange for ticket pickup?

Think about the logistics of that. Considering all the planning that will need to be done, even if the winners are from neighbouring countries like England or Spain - it seems absurd they'd leave it this late.

Even if the winners are all from somewhere in France, it's a hell of a lot to sort out on such short notice. It's also misleading to suggest that the contest is open worldwide - okay then. I'll believe that when we hear that winners were chosen from Asia, South America, England, and Mexico. Or something like that. What about people from countries that need a travel Visa to even enter France? Funny how that wasn't mentioned on the entry form!

Forgive me if I seem overly critical and rather skeptical. But Team Mika has a history of dropping the ball when it comes to contests and giveaways. And if Mika surprises me about this, then great - cheers to all those who win, and I hope it turns out really great for you. But for now, well, I'll believe it when I see it.

good post...

couldn't agree more:thumb_yello:

thats so true, I love wondering what he is actually like and stuff like that.

I think he's actually mean-ish behind it all.

Just really firm and strict and a diva. And gets what he wants, if he wants something.

I remember at the LA gig, I had just left the line and I stood looking at him and he was smiling at a fan, and he turned around to the big security guy and had a really angry, strict, serious face and started saying something and using sharp hand movements.

His face changed so quickly, like how people do that pass your hand over your face and be happy then sad thing. Hahah.. Anyways, if he wasn't strict and firm and mean-ish, then he wouldn't survive in the music business, so good for him! :naughty:

But the thing is, they don't have to do a contest at all. It's not the Mika Team's responsibility to make sure everyone's got a clear schedule and feels all warm and fuzzy. A contest is a contest, and if someone wins and can't go, then they can't go. It's unfortunate how the dice are rolled sometimes. shrugiu0.gif

Also... people may think it's rude how they're running things, and maybe it is, but I think it's equally rude to be aggressive back. :huh:

I wouldn't say I was being "aggressive." I was just giving my reaction. It was not an attack; I did not call anyone names, etc etc. But really this just baffles me. And considering that I'm not the only one, I thought it would be beneficial for Team Mika to HAVE some of that feedback, rather than just "I love youuuuuuuu! That contest sounds fun, wish I could go!"

Of course they don't have to do a contest, and it's up to you to enter if you wish, etc etc. But it's like the Mika team is organizing it in such a way as to arrange for maximum disappointment. "Ohhh, we have a contest for free tickets and travel, you guys could go! Oh, nope, it's totally impractical." And the way these contests have been handled in the past--both the myspace video competition and the TBA gig--have been huge messes. I remember following all the TBA stress and just thinking that it was ridiculous to have so many people being jerked around until the last minute, running about trying to figure out the info. And unlike a lot of people here, I do actually follow other artists and I'm not as inclined to give Mika's team "a break" because they're "busy" when everyone else manages to figure out how it's done.

Personally I also dislike the way they manage lollipop girl/big girl picks. I think that the people they pick should have the price of their ticket refunded, since they'll basically be working for Mika that night and they'll miss a large part of the show. But I know that the people he picks have a choice, and no-one's making them give up the show, so whatever. So I'm not always complaining, but I do think that this contest is not being organized well at all.

Although I suppose people's reactions depend on where one's loyalties lie. I notice I often tend to disagree on these things with people whose number one loyalty is to Mika... but my sympathies in this case go to the fans.

--Jack

I have to say, I'm on the side of those who think this whole contest is a bit of a disaster.

Looking just at MFC - how many people are on here who don't attend class or have jobs? And of those people, how many are students on summer break who couldn't possibly travel to Paris on a weekday without a parent or someone with them? That might leave a handful of college students on break, or maybe some stay-at-home mothers. EDIT: And I'm not suggesting that only MFCers can win. I'm just saying that on this site, we have people of all ages, stages, and professions; and few, I think, who could reasonably be expected to run off to Paris on like four hours notice.

Even putting that aside - Mika takes the stage in about 60 hours. Let's assume that of those 60 hours, the person or people arranging this will be asleep for 16 of those 60 hours.

So within the next 44 hours, they're going to chose four different winners - then attempt to contact these winners by email, hope these people check their email multiple times a day, get in contact with these people, get their names and the names of their guests, arrange airfare, arrange accomodation, and arrange for ticket pickup?

Think about the logistics of that. Considering all the planning that will need to be done, even if the winners are from neighbouring countries like England or Spain - it seems absurd they'd leave it this late.

Even if the winners are all from somewhere in France, it's a hell of a lot to sort out on such short notice. It's also misleading to suggest that the contest is open worldwide - okay then. I'll believe that when we hear that winners were chosen from Asia, South America, England, and Mexico. Or something like that. What about people from countries that need a travel Visa to even enter France? Funny how that wasn't mentioned on the entry form!

Forgive me if I seem overly critical and rather skeptical. But Team Mika has a history of dropping the ball when it comes to contests and giveaways. And if Mika surprises me about this, then great - cheers to all those who win, and I hope it turns out really great for you. But for now, well, I'll believe it when I see it.

thats exactly how I feel. I hope Mika reads this...

its almost like, if something is too good to be true, than thats exactly what it is.

being whisked off to Paris, fully paid to see Mika in concert for the fourth of July?

sounds like a dream to me.

IPersonally I also dislike the way they manage lollipop girl/big girl picks. I think that the people they pick should have the price of their ticket refunded, since they'll basically be working for Mika that night and they'll miss a large part of the show. But I know that the people he picks have a choice, and no-one's making them give up the show, so whatever. So I'm not always complaining, but I do think that this contest is not being organized well at all.

My understanding is that for the Lollipop Girls, they refunded some tickets and not others - consistency would have been nice, although I suppose they didn't count on girls in Chicago and girls in Vancouver comparing notes.

That was also very disorganized. At least two of us had to keep calling up the staffer organizing the lollipop girls and big girls to get the details - only to have her say "huh? I thought I'd talked to you already?!" Erm, no. Good thing I called, instead of waiting for her call as instructed! Would it be so bad to, I don't know, keep a spreadsheet or something?

So yeah - it's great that Mika tries to do things like this for his fans, but a bit more organization would indeed go a long way.

Looking just at MFC - how many people are on here who don't attend class or have jobs? And of those people, how many are students on summer break who couldn't possibly travel to Paris on a weekday without a parent or someone with them? That might leave a handful of college students on break, or maybe some stay-at-home mothers. EDIT: And I'm not suggesting that only MFCers can win. I'm just saying that on this site, we have people of all ages, stages, and professions; and few, I think, who could reasonably be expected to run off to Paris on like four hours notice.

That's the thing. Let's even assume that this is part of the point--that the way Mika wants to give out these tickets is by narrowing down the number of applicants to those who can rush to Paris, no problems, at a moment's notice. Okay, fair enough, whether it's chance or logistics or both, all contests depend on weeding most potential applicants out.

But then it's also only fair to be up front about it. It's obvious that anyone from a country that requires a travel visa is not getting to Paris, and less obvious (but I'm going to assume true) that Team Mika is not really going to try and arrange flights from people across the ocean. So why not specify the eligible countries?

Plus how much travel accommodation are we talking about, exactly? What if someone in Holland or Italy learns they've won, and begs the day off and everything, only to be sent their travel info Thurs evening and it doesn't actually cover all, and they can't afford to go? Or it only covers travel if they use a train, and the schedule doesn't work? Again, proper contests TELL you exactly what they're covering: airfare, trainfare, taxis, bus vouchers, all of the above, none of the above, etc.

Like I said, I could see this making sense as a last-minute contest, with the implicit stipulation that only someone who was willing and able to go at last minute would win, but then it would have to have been limited to people in the immediate geographical area.

That was also very disorganized. At least two of us had to keep calling up the staffer organizing the lollipop girls and big girls to get the details - only to have her say "huh? I thought I'd talked to you already?!" Erm, no. Good thing I called, instead of waiting for her call as instructed! Would it be so bad to, I don't know, keep a spreadsheet or something?

Exactly, it seems like all such things are handled with utmost disarray and stress on the part of the "winners." Which is why I am being less sunshiney and more "aggressive." I would perhaps be less so if there haven't already been multiple previous cases to provide example.

--Jack

It's quite obvious everyones knickers are in a knot.

So lets all just take time... untie the knot out of our undewear...

Breathe...

And then just wait it out and see what happens in the end.

Don't forget to breathe... we're just fan club members that have no control over what happens. Bickering in circles isn't going to solve anything - it'll just add to the frustration.

That sounds like a plan to me. :thumb_yello:

Breathe...

Don't forget to breathe... we're just fan club members that have no control over what happens. Bickering in circles isn't going to solve anything - it'll just add to the frustration.

That sounds like a plan to me. :thumb_yello:

I agree :lol3:

EDIT: MFC needs to stop getting upset easily.

That's the thing. Let's even assume that this is part of the point--that the way Mika wants to give out these tickets is by narrowing down the number of applicants to those who can rush to Paris, no problems, at a moment's notice. Okay, fair enough, whether it's chance or logistics or both, all contests depend on weeding most potential applicants out.

But then it's also only fair to be up front about it. It's obvious that anyone from a country that requires a travel visa is not getting to Paris, and less obvious (but I'm going to assume true) that Team Mika is not really going to try and arrange flights from people across the ocean. So why not specify the eligible countries?

Plus how much travel accommodation are we talking about, exactly? What if someone in Holland or Italy learns they've won, and begs the day off and everything, only to be sent their travel info Thurs evening and it doesn't actually cover all, and they can't afford to go? Or it only covers travel if they use a train, and the schedule doesn't work? Again, proper contests TELL you exactly what they're covering: airfare, trainfare, taxis, bus vouchers, all of the above, none of the above, etc.

Like I said, I could see this making sense as a last-minute contest, with the implicit stipulation that only someone who was willing and able to go at last minute would win, but then it would have to have been limited to people in the immediate geographical area.

Exactly, it seems like all such things are handled with utmost disarray and stress on the part of the "winners." Which is why I am being less sunshiney and more "aggressive." I would perhaps be less so if there haven't already been multiple previous cases to provide example.

--Jack

exactly! I can see if it was this vauge and had been posted earlier, but at this point it is insane.

especially the international portion of the contest, which disappoints me thinking Mika would wave a bone in front of our noses to get us to sign up for his webby. not that I wouldn't have signed up anyway, but It just seems like shaded to me, like if he would have just said "sign up for my website!" on the video, that would have been nice, instead of what is happening now.

I agree :lol3:

EDIT: MFC needs to stop getting upset easily.

I don't see anyone being upset.

Personally I feel as bad for Mika as anyone who has hopes of winning this contest. He keeps painting himself into a corner and his well intended gestures do him more harm than good. It's a shame.

I don't see anyone being upset.

Personally I feel as bad for Mika as anyone who has hopes of winning this contest. He keeps painting himself into a corner and his well intended gestures do him more harm than good. It's a shame.

Well the fact that people are reacting to this with long and detailed posts must mean something.

Breathe...

Hey, I'm calm! I have other things to do that weekend that I'm quite excited for, and I never planned on entering. :thumb_yello:

But, I really-really dislike seeing other people jerked around. I get very mad when I see Mika being put upon by pushy or demanding or overly entitled fans (and you've heard me rant about that and never seemed to mind it :wink2:), and I get equally annoyed by the idea of others being put upon by Team Mika. I'm equal-opportunity, is all: I don't care who's who, I just care about what.

Well the fact that people are reacting to this with long and detailed posts must mean something.

It means that it's one of the few pieces of Mika news we have to discuss, and it's Tuesday night and we're bored. :thumb_yello: Trust me, I'll be posting a whole lot less once it's the weekend!

--Jack

Having a strong opinion about something and choosing to voice it doesn't mean you're upset.

Having a strong opinion about something and choosing to voice it doesn't mean you're upset.

No, but it usually means you're irritated. Well, that's how it seems on MFC.

No, but it usually means you're irritated. Well, that's how it seems on MFC.

Or bored. Don't forget bored. I was a whole lot less emotionally invested in the Luke fiasco until I realized that I had nothing to do that entire week.

Anyway, come to think of it, I think we are being extremely proactive!!

Days of yore, we'd get all excited about stuff like this and then would be bewildered and disappointed when it would all end up FUBARed. Then we'd be a bit hesitant but still, you know "hope for the best in good faith," etc, and still there'd be disappointment aplenty.

Now we're getting in the disappointment early! Mika's cruising the low expectations! Just think, to have us all pleasantly surprised, all he has to do is just follow through on what he promised! Yup, the contest just has to accomplish what it is supposed to, no more no less, and we're all going to be over the moon with surprise and delight as though Mika just won the world series or something.

--Jack

Or bored. Don't forget bored. I was a whole lot less emotionally invested in the Luke fiasco until I realized that I had nothing to do that entire week.

Ah, how could I forget boredom? :doh:

Dude, have you met me? I'm all about the long and detailed posts. Someone could be like "Mika's shoe size is 9.5" and I'd have a long and detailed response. :roftl:

Just think, to have us all pleasantly surprised, all he has to do is just follow through on what he promised! Yup, the contest just has to accomplish what it is supposed to, no more no less, and we're all going to be over the moon with surprise and delight as though Mika just won the world series or something.

:cheers:

Anyway, come to think of it, I think we are being extremely proactive!!

Days of yore, we'd get all excited about stuff like this and then would be bewildered and disappointed when it would all end up FUBARed. Then we'd be a bit hesitant but still, you know "hope for the best in good faith," etc, and still there'd be disappointment aplenty.

Now we're getting in the disappointment early! Mika's cruising the low expectations! Just think, to have us all pleasantly surprised, all he has to do is just follow through on what he promised! Yup, the contest just has to accomplish what it is supposed to, no more no less, and we're all going to be over the moon with surprise and delight as though Mika just won the world series or something.

--Jack

Well, we've still yet to see if he follows through with his promise...

He hasn't completely let anyone down yet.

There's still 2 more days, and during that time he still can give 4 pairs of tickets, travel, and accomodation to 8 random people :thumb_yello: