Go To MikaSounds - Blog Updates Thread (Part 2)

Fmbm

my oppinion. I think the differences have to do with english and french pronunciation...

Yasmine...in english you can pronounce it two ways:'dʒæzmən or 'dʒæsmɪn (it would be: "yas-men" and "yas-mean")

The difference in french is that you stress the last syllabe :) it usually is like that in that language

Same to fortuné. It's like protégé in english and protégé in french. In English would be something like "for-tu-NAY" and in french " fɔʀtyne" (the O is like in "law",the U is intermediate with a I, the last E like in 'met' )

Paloma...well, I speak spanish. Really easy for me, haha. I'd pronounce it like

pah-LO-ma. LO it's similar to 'law' but shorter. Dunno how to explain

Zuleika..ohh it's hard. But pages about names say it's zoo-LAY-ka, maybe it's that way

Oh wow! :bow: :bow:

That's so confusing though :naughty: So would the Penniman's names be pronounced in the French way, or not necessarily?

My name is pronounced in the Australian way even though my parents are from Holland and they would say it differently there, but the Penniman kids were born in Lebanon? Oh wait, not Fortune and Zuleika, they would have been in France, so they probably have the French?

With the zoo-LAY-ka, I was thinking it might be a case of LAY and LIE sounding similar. Like sometimes Mika would say LAY-dee and sometimes LIY-dee (in big girl I mean), maybe the Tokyo-cousin said the LAY in a more LIY sounding way, but meant LAY? Okay, I'm confusing myself here :naughty:

And I don't know if I'm right, but I'd think the LO in pa-LO-ma was more like .. 'low'?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So this thread is turning into a 'how to pronounce mika's siters' names'? :naughty:

From all the times I've heard him say Yasmine's name I've heard him pronounce it: Yz-mean... if you know what I mean lol.

Zuleika is pronounced Zoo-like-ah.. or so it sounds like that in the French interview

And I guess Paloma is pronounced Peh-lo-ma .. like a short e not a long one. I'm probably not making any sense at all :naughty:

Anyway on to the new vlog.. I'm kind of confused with what's going on. Like who's complaining to who, who's saying what....

That's so confusing though :naughty: So would the Penniman's names be pronounced in the French way, or not necessarily?

My name is pronounced in the Australian way even though my parents are from Holland and they would say it differently there, but the Penniman kids were born in Lebanon? Oh wait, not Fortune and Zuleika, they would have been in France, so they probably have the French?

With the zoo-LAY-ka, I was thinking it might be a case of LAY and LIE sounding similar. Like sometimes Mika would say LAY-dee and sometimes LIY-dee (in big girl I mean), maybe the Tokyo-cousin said the LAY in a more LIY sounding way, but meant LAY? Okay, I'm confusing myself here :naughty:

And I don't know if I'm right, but I'd think the LO in pa-LO-ma was more like .. 'low'?

Your parents are from Holland? Cool!

Hmm I always thought Fortuné was pronounced as For-tu-nay, and Zuleika as Zoo-like-a.

I didn't put that example because in UK it sounds longer and with sort of an U at the end. Hard to explain uh? You put the mouth more round to say Paloma in spanish, and the 'u' thing is mute.

OK, sound example!:

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=paloma

(Click where it says Listen España on the top :thumb_yello:)

Your parents are from Holland? Cool!

Hmm I always thought Fortuné was pronounced as For-tu-nay, and Zuleika as Zoo-lay-ka, but then the a in lay pronounced as the a in...well..Mika for example:blink:

Supposedly when Fortune introduced himself to one of the MFCers he pronounced his name as Fortune (without the ay sound at the end).

So this thread is turning into a 'how to pronounce mika's siters' names'? :naughty:

From all the times I've heard him say Yasmine's name I've heard him pronounce it: Yz-mean... if you know what I mean lol.

Zuleika is pronounced Zoo-like-ah.. or so it sounds like that in the French interview

And I guess Paloma is pronounced Peh-lo-ma .. like a short e not a long one. I'm probably not making any sense at all :naughty:

Anyway on to the new vlog.. I'm kind of confused with what's going on. Like who's complaining to who, who's saying what....

Yeah I had to watch it a couple of times to get what's going on :naughty:

I thought that too:thumb_yello:So, whats your interpretation on the pronouncation of Fortuné?:naughty:

What's your name, I'll tell you how we pronounce it in Holland:naughty:

I always think of them like this:

Meeka

Yaz-men

Pah low mah

Fortune

Zoo-lay-ka

of course when I first started listening to Meeks I thought it was Mike-a, and then I heard him say Yo Meeka in lollipop and I was like "WAAAAAAAAAAAHT?"

I like Meeka better though.

Haha, sorry, I got obsessed with my research of pronunciations :naughty: Totally off-topic

That's the way I'd pronounce Paloma in english :thumb_yello: But it's easier for me to pronounce in spanish for obvious reasons :rolls_eyes: That's what I meant

You can ask a french MFCer to say 'Fortuné' for you. You'll see how typically 'french' it sounds :roftl:

I always think of them like this:

Meeka

Yaz-men

Pah low mah

Fortune

Zoo-lay-ka

of course when I first started listening to Meeks I thought it was Mike-a, and then I heard him say Yo Meeka in lollipop and I was like "WAAAAAAAAAAAHT?"

I like Meeka better though.

:hypo:

meekaa? maika? meeks? O.o

i`m confused noww!

my name is easy.. Laura :bleh: