The Australian Thread: Part Nineteen

Rainbow Sky

oh that's not good. you live in the bush? i didn't know that!

what is the difference between "the bush" and "the outback" ?

is there a difference?

:naughty: Yes ... a BIG difference !! Generally speaking the 'outback' is further inland :rolls_eyes: ... & more sparse & desert-like ... it's quite apparent whe you look at a map of Oz in an Atlas ... all the orangey bits ... :roftl: ...

I live in a spotted gum forest ... about 10 mins. walk from the ocean .....

Here is the view of my place from my legendary Verandah ... :naughty:

IMGA0054.jpg

& here is 'our' ocean .... :original:

l_7dacb0fba0c4167b8707126c78da721a.jpg

I think out of the Aussies here ... probably Teegs, Sweet Dreams & Chickadee are the furthest inland ....

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:naughty: Yes ... a BIG difference !! Generally speaking the 'outback' is further inland :rolls_eyes: ... & more sparse & desert-like ... it's quite apparent whe you look at a map of Oz in an Atlas ... all the orangey bits ... :roftl: ...

I live in a spotted gum forest ... about 10 mins. walk from the ocean .....

Here is the view of my place from my legendary Verandah ... :naughty:

IMGA0054.jpg

& here is 'our' ocean ....

l_7dacb0fba0c4167b8707126c78da721a.jpg

I think out of the Aussies here ... probably Teegs, Sweet Dreams & Chickadee are the furthest inland ....

omg! what a view you have! you truly have a "home amongst the gumtree" :naughty:

very pretty. i'm for a mika gig on your varenda too!

omg! what a view you have! you truly have a "home amongst the gumtree" :naughty:

very pretty. i'm for a mika gig on your varenda too!

Haha ! :roftl: Thanks ! Yes ... I literally live amongst the gum trees .... we count our blessings every day living here :wub2: ... BUT Eucalyptus trees are NOT very pretty when the explode in flames .... :thumbdown:

I'm sure a Mika gig here would be well attended !! :naughty:

Ummm ... currently Robi is sitting on my Verandah & sipping iced tea !! :wink2:

Hi guyth!

Finally got my new semester sorted...after much pulling of strings and switching. I like all of my courses except English, because the teacher treats us like we are complete dolts. I hate her. For ruining my favourite subject. :thumbdown:

Other than that...I drove down our road and back today :das: Cars are very submissive. They do what you tell them. I rather like that fact. :naughty:

Haha ! :roftl: Thanks ! Yes ... I literally live amongst the gum trees .... we count our blessings every day living here :wub2: ... BUT Eucalyptus trees are NOT very pretty when the explode in flames .... :thumbdown:

I'm sure a Mika gig here would be well attended !! :naughty:

Ummm ... currently Robi is sitting on my Verandah & sipping iced tea !! :wink2:

i'm reserving a seat too... but i won't be sipping an iced tea!!!

Hi guyth!

Finally got my new semester sorted...after much pulling of strings and switching. I like all of my courses except English, because the teacher treats us like we are complete dolts. I hate her. For ruining my favourite subject. :thumbdown:

Other than that...I drove down our road and back today :das: Cars are very submissive. They do what you tell them. I rather like that fact. :naughty:

Oooh YAY Rosie !!! :thumb_yello:

Poo re: your English teacher tho' :thumbdown: ... are there grounds to complain ??? :das::punk:

You hoo! Is there anybody out there :naughty:

I would hate to be forced to create a whole page of me :fisch:

Edit: According to Sky News, 30 homes have been destroyed by bushfires in Victoria and 3 of the 40 fires blazing in NSW have been deliberately lit :tears: ...and a volunteer firefighter in Victoria has received burns to 40% of his body :tears:

Those poor people, they must be so scared:crybaby:

Edited by Tanya K

How awful. :sad: I'm not surprised, though, since today was officially Melbourne's hottest day on record. The high winds aren't helping either.

City swelters, records tumble in heat

* Hamish Townsend

* February 7, 2009 - 1:56PM

Melbourne's all-time weather record has been broken and the city is sweltering under the twin effects of high temperatures and hot north-west winds.

The city hit 46.4 degrees at 3.04pm - the hottest day since the Bureau of Meteorology started keeping records after the building of records mysteriously burnt down 150 years ago.

The previous record was 45.6, set on January 13, 1939 - a day otherwise known as Black Thursday.

"I've got a massive spreadsheet here of maximum temperatures and it doesn't mean anything any more. The whole thing's gonna have to be rewritten," BoM senior forecaster Terry Ryan said.

"Most places around the state will break all-time records."

The town of Avalon, 50km south-west of Melbourne also broke its hottest-day record, reaching 47.9 degrees at 2.50pm.

Wind gusts of up to 82kmh have also been reported at Melbourne Airport, where it was a sweltering 46.8 degrees at 3.03pm.

Other top temperatures around the state include 47.6 at Hopetoun airport (2.30pm), 47.1 at Geelong airport (2.40pm), 46.8 at Laverton (2.41pm), 46.4 at Longerenong in the Wimmera (2.30pm), 46 at Mildura (2.35pm) and 46.3 at Swan Hill (2.30pm).

The temperature also topped 45 at locations including Horsham, Nhill, Scoresby and Stawell.

Melbourne's peak also breaks the previous February record of 43.2, set on February 8, 1983 - remembered by many as the day of a massive dust storm.

Today's record is also hotter than Ash Wednesday, on February 16, 1983.

Relief, however, is on the way with the cool change reported to have passed through Warnambool and Port Fairy in Victoria's south-west.

This should put it on target to reach the city about 6pm, Mr Ryan said.

Temperatures are expected to drop by around 15 degrees in the first hour, though little rain is expected.

No relief from the wind is expected at all as strong gusts, albeit from the opposite direction, will accompany the cool change.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/national/city-swelters-records-tumble-in-heat-20090207-80ai.html

How awful. :sad: I'm not surprised, though, since today was officially Melbourne's hottest day on record. The high winds aren't helping either.

City swelters, records tumble in heat

* Hamish Townsend

* February 7, 2009 - 1:56PM

Melbourne's all-time weather record has been broken and the city is sweltering under the twin effects of high temperatures and hot north-west winds.

The city hit 46.4 degrees at 3.04pm - the hottest day since the Bureau of Meteorology started keeping records after the building of records mysteriously burnt down 150 years ago.

The previous record was 45.6, set on January 13, 1939 - a day otherwise known as Black Thursday.

"I've got a massive spreadsheet here of maximum temperatures and it doesn't mean anything any more. The whole thing's gonna have to be rewritten," BoM senior forecaster Terry Ryan said.

"Most places around the state will break all-time records."

The town of Avalon, 50km south-west of Melbourne also broke its hottest-day record, reaching 47.9 degrees at 2.50pm.

Wind gusts of up to 82kmh have also been reported at Melbourne Airport, where it was a sweltering 46.8 degrees at 3.03pm.

Other top temperatures around the state include 47.6 at Hopetoun airport (2.30pm), 47.1 at Geelong airport (2.40pm), 46.8 at Laverton (2.41pm), 46.4 at Longerenong in the Wimmera (2.30pm), 46 at Mildura (2.35pm) and 46.3 at Swan Hill (2.30pm).

The temperature also topped 45 at locations including Horsham, Nhill, Scoresby and Stawell.

Melbourne's peak also breaks the previous February record of 43.2, set on February 8, 1983 - remembered by many as the day of a massive dust storm.

Today's record is also hotter than Ash Wednesday, on February 16, 1983.

Relief, however, is on the way with the cool change reported to have passed through Warnambool and Port Fairy in Victoria's south-west.

This should put it on target to reach the city about 6pm, Mr Ryan said.

Temperatures are expected to drop by around 15 degrees in the first hour, though little rain is expected.

No relief from the wind is expected at all as strong gusts, albeit from the opposite direction, will accompany the cool change.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/national/city-swelters-records-tumble-in-heat-20090207-80ai.html

They were just talking about the weather being worse than it was during Ash Wednesday...it's unbelievable. We need the rain urgently but I hope it doesn't bring strong winds with it...otherwise the poor fire brigades will have their work cut out for them.

Has anyone heard from Teegs? Doesn't she live in country NSW too?

Hello .... I have the ABC tv on atm .... nothing new .... haven't heard from Teegs .... but there were no fires near her when I watched the 7pm news ...

Yes Tan, thanks ... we are fine here so far ... there is a fire south of Bega ... not exactly sure where ... but we are approx. 50k north of Bega ... & on the coast ... still, it's pretty scary ... esp. living in the bush ...

Victoria is a worry tho' ... :no: Gippsland fires were apparently deliberately lit ... :thumbdown:

Hey! Hope you're all well and cool.

I heard from Teegs a few hours ago and she said it's bloody hot there.

It's been ridiculously hot here too. Our power went out for a while as well.. So we couldn't have the coolers on. :boxed: That was a hot 2 hours. :sweatdrop:

Cool change is here. :yay: !!

I hate arsonists.. Stupid bloody morons.

Hey! Hope you're all well and cool.

I heard from Teegs a few hours ago and she said it's bloody hot there.

It's been ridiculously hot here too. Our power went out for a while as well.. So we couldn't have the coolers on. :boxed That was a hot 2 hours. :sweatdrop:

Cool change is here. :yay: !!

I hate arsonists.. Stupid bloody morons.

Oh, hey Kelz ... I'm glad you & Teegs are ok ... & yeah ... I heard about your cool change !! Thank god !! :wub2: Bad fires near Horsham eh ? My daughter's nana lives near there ... :tears:

EDIT: Arsonists are very sick people ... :thumbdown:

I'm back from the party!

I don't know much about the bushfires but when we were driving to and from Wagga there was smoke everywhere. Not good..

Hey SD ... glad you are OK too !:wub2: .... Yeah ... smoke is scary huh ?? :thumbdown:

Edited by happikali

Aussies :tears:

It all sounds awful - I hope you all make it through this ridiculous heat - and I know what I would do to the idiots who start fires:mad3:

HK - keeping my fingers crossed that the bushfires keep away from you and the verandah.

Thanks Silv .... yeah, we are ok atm ... it's dark & a bit cooler ... tomorrow is supposed to be another hotty ... but then we are getting rain ... (fingers crossed) ... :original: