The Australian Thread: Part Nineteen

Rainbow Sky

:naughty: Sorry for the confusion. Have to keep you on your toes.

That's a worry.. For them and for you. Isn't there a south-easternly wind change coming? :boxed:

Are you fire savvy my dear?

:rolls_eyes: As if I'm not already .... :naughty:

Yeah ... :boxed: ... the southerly is good ... just depends on the fire front tho' as to where the gusts blow them ...

I'm alot more concerned for them atm than for us here ...

Fire savvy ?? As best as can be ... we already know that if a fire was close to us we couldn't stay & fight it ... too much dry bush ... it's grab the pups, the photos & get the hell outta here ... !!! :dog::dog:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolls_eyes: As if I'm not already .... :naughty:

Yeah ... :boxed: ... the southerly is good ... just depends on the fire front tho' as to where the gusts blow them ...

I'm alot more concerned for them atm than for us here ...

Fire savvy ?? As best as can be ... we already know that if a fire was close to us we couldn't stay & fight it ... too much dry bush ... it's grab the pups, the photos & get the hell outta here ... !!! :dog::dog:

Good to hear you are sensible about it. :huglove: I hope your friends are ok. I suppose they are staying up tonight?

Woke up this morning in Hong Kong to see Melbourne fires on the front page of the South China Post....I just couldn't believe it, but no internet till I flew back to Tokyo and walked in just now. Oh my god, I cannot believe it. 96 people gone, including Brian Naylor, but of course he is equally as important as every other person who died... I am so shocked.

But I wanted to check in that all you guys were OK. I don't even know if my own family is OK, but they are not online and you are, so checking here first.

My heart goes out to everyone affected.

Good to hear you are sensible about it. :huglove: I hope your friends are ok. I suppose they are staying up tonight?

I expect so ... I chose not to call them direct ... leave their phones free ... but I've called mutual friends ... no-one home ... I'm sure they are meeting with CFA etc. ... they've had enough warning to get out in time I think .... just may lose their properties etc. ... hope it doesn't come to that tho' ... :no:

One of the big tragedies about Vic. fires is that ppl decided to drive out too late .... & burned in their cars ... :shocked:

CFA are putting out BIG WARNINGS against that ... they say either decide to leave EARLY or stay & fight ... but don't do last min. exits ....

Woke up this morning in Hong Kong to see Melbourne fires on the front page of the South China Post....I just couldn't believe it, but no internet till I flew back to Tokyo and walked in just now. Oh my god, I cannot believe it. 96 people gone, including Brian Naylor, but of course he is equally as important as every other person who died... I am so shocked.

But I wanted to check in that all you guys were OK. I don't even know if my own family is OK, but they are not online and you are, so checking here first.

All of the MFCers are fine. :thumb_yello: Some are pretty close to bush fire zones and some close enough to be affected by the smoke but so far no one's been in immediate danger. All appendages crossed hoping that no one will be.

One of the big tragedies about Vic. fires is that ppl decided to drive out too late .... & burned in their cars ... :shocked:

CFA are putting out BIG WARNINGS against that ... they say either decide to leave EARLY or stay & fight ... but don't do last min. exits ....

The tricky part with that is that when arsonists are at work you sometimes don't get much forewarning. :sneaky2:

Also, the people may not have expected fires so they might not be prepared to stay and fight so when they realise the danger is real they flee and end up trapped. :boxed:

Hi Blue Sky ... :huglove:

Here is a link if you need to keep updated (if it works from Japan) ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/

As far as I can tell (from your 2 Vic. postal addys.) ... no-one from those areas are in trouble . :thumb_yello:

So far we are all ok .... just keeping each other updated ! :wub2:

The tricky part with that is that when arsonists are at work you sometimes don't get much forewarning. :sneaky2:

Also, the people may not have expected fires so they might not be prepared to stay and fight so when they realise the danger is real they flee and end up trapped. :boxed:

I know ..... it's just so wrong, unfair & tragic ... :thumbdown:

Caz ... I hope your family/friends here are OK & thanks for your love ... :huglove:

Check this link if it'll work for you ... it may help to ease your mind ... many parts of OZ are not affected by fire ... in fact, some are just flooding atm !!! :rolls_eyes:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/

Brian Naylor and his wife are two of the three cofirmed deaths. They haven't released any other names. So they are the face of the tragedy atm. :sad:

We're all ok, as HK and ST have said. Just keeping alert.

Hope your family are good too.

I expect so ... I chose not to call them direct ... leave their phones free ... but I've called mutual friends ... no-one home ... I'm sure they are meeting with CFA etc. ... they've had enough warning to get out in time I think .... just may lose their properties etc. ... hope it doesn't come to that tho' ... :no

One of the big tragedies about Vic. fires is that ppl decided to drive out too late .... & burned in their cars ... :shocked

Yeah, it's so sad to see. They were being told it wasn't heading their way, and then suddenly it turned. That's why so many fled in cars. I don't think anyone actually DID anything stupid and endangered their lives. I think under the circumstances and the suddeness that they were all doing whatever they could to escape it. There are no fools in this, just tragedies.

All of the MFCers are fine. :thumb_yello: Some are pretty close to bush fire zones and some close enough to be affected by the smoke but so far no one's been in immediate danger. All appendages crossed hoping that no one will be.

*crosses everything*

I dont know much about the fires .... :sad: ... but my thoughts and love go out to you all :wub2: .... I have family in Oz too !! I hope your ok and send out hugz !! :wub2:

hey hun. to our knowledge we are all ok. I hope Sarah logs on early and lets us know she's ok too.

Also, Bonzaboy, and any QLDers in the floods - Thinking of you all too. :huglove:

Also, Bonzaboy, and any QLDers in the floods - Thinking of you all too. :huglove:

Floods AND fires?? I feel sick reading about all this. My beautiful homeland is under seige from natural forces beyond human control (apart from any arsonists who should get what's coming to them.)

Floods AND fires?? I feel sick reading about all this. My beautiful homeland is under seige from natural forces beyond human control (apart from any arsonists who should get what's coming to them.)

It's kind of tragically ironic: QLD is facing hurricanes and flooding while Vic and NSW are so starved for rain that bush fires are flourishing. :blink:

It's kind of tragically ironic: QLD is facing hurricanes and flooding while Vic and NSW are so starved for rain that bush fires are flourishing. :blink:

Yes ... the irony is unreal ... :thumbdown:

SA has been without bushfires so far (amazingly) but has endured 40-47+ heat for at least 10 days & the elderly have suffered badly ... :tears:

As I have said before ... arsonists are very sick people ... :boxed:

Hope your family are ok Blue Sky ... :huglove:

I'll be on for a bit longer ... just to stay in touch ... I'm sure most are going now ... 3:17am ... :blink:

EDIT: I'm still having a bit of a laugh in the Oldlings tho' (not tragedy related) ... gotta have a sense of humour !! :wink2:

Edited by happikali

I've just been reading up on the fires, this is awful!

And I'm so angry that arsonists are involved!

WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY THINKING!!!

The weather has obviously made the bush susceptable to fire anyway, so to start fires is just plain lunacy!

And I see one was a 15 year old boy!

I'm just so shocked and angry that people have died from other peoples complete indifference to human life.

I'm glad you guys in Victoria are okay, I hope it stays that way:wink2:

Yep. Me, Bec, Tanya, Twatty, Pinkoranges and ummm.. There may be more. Well, anyway we are Victorians.

I'm not in the fire zone. Some friends of my brothers were in the fire zone and have evacuated.

I hope everyone has a good fire plan :huglove:

I knew about you, I just didn't know if you wanted the world knowing :roftl:

:sad::huglove:

Ok, I've been reading up on the ABC News site. A summary so far:

The death toll from horrific bushfires across Victoria this weekend has reached 84, surpassing the number of people who perished in the 1983 Ash Wednesday blazes.

More than 700 homes have been lost in what is being described as 'Hell on Earth', and it is feared the death toll will pass 100.

Twenty-six fires continue to burn across Victoria; 12 of those are out of control. Authorities suspect arsonists are responsible for some fires.

The Kinglake Complex blaze continues to burn out of control and so far has burnt through more than 220,000 hectares. Communities around Glenburn, Taggerty and Rubicon are being urged to remain alert for any threats to their homes.

The worst-hit areas are Kinglake, where at least 18 have died, St Andrews (12 lives lost), and Steeles Creek (seven dead).

Five people are dead in Callignee and Flowervale, three in Hazelwood, Whittlesea and Taggerty, and one in Jeeralang. More bodies have been found at Marysville, Humevale, Bendigo, Long Gully, Strathewan and Arthurs Creek.

Personal stories:

The reporter spoke to a schoolteacher from Kinglake who said that in the afternoon, Kinglake had not been mentioned on the radio.

"So he went for a walk up the street - there was a bit of smoke around but it didn't really smell like a fire - and he asked the firies if things were going to be all right; they said yes," Mr O'Sullivan said.

"By the time he got back down the street to his house, five minutes later, it was pitch black and five minutes later his house was in flames. He says if he was 10 minutes later he wouldn't be here today.

"So he's lost his house, his school's gone up; obviously he's very worried about the kids that attend that school."

Jay Cherie from Kinglake Central said her family had no warning of what was to come.

"When the power went out I madly started to try and pack some things and in doing so it was like night-time all of a sudden. My husband came running into the house and said, 'grab the kids, grab the cat, we've got to get out'," she said.

"We got in the car and went to go down towards Yea and the flames were coming up over the paddocks towards our place and we could just only settle in the township; we knew straight away our home was gone.

"A lot of people made that same decision; there were probably about 100 cars in the same area that we were in at the time and we had gas bottles exploding around us.

"At one stage there my husband said to my children, 'get down on the floor', because we didn't know what was going to happen.

"We had fire coming in on the right-hand side of us on a paddock and we had houses to the left of us on fire; no-one knew what was going to happen.

"My little girl was saying to me, 'Mum am I going to see my friends again?', she also said to me, 'Mum am I going to live tomorrow?'."

The suddeness is the part that creeps me out the most.

It creeps me out too. Most of the people that have gotten out have described it as a freight train. The toll is now 108.

It's the stories of the survivors that really tip me over the edge. I had to go to bed last night, I couldn't watch anymore :tears:

Link please darling??

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/incident_updates.htm

The alerts are at the top of the page but if you scroll down, it gives the details for each alert.

:wub2:

Phew. You had me worried for a second because I didn't see any such recommendation in the CFA reports or the news.

Sorry Twatty, I didn't mean to worry you. :huglove:

Can I just say that I heart Krudd.. Joward and his eyebrows wouldn't have shown such compassion.

With you 100%. The Queen and British Prime Minister have now sent mesasges and the PM has said that the UK will provide any assistance required.....that was nice too.

I'm thinking about all of you guys too ...

If you read the NSW reports ... there is one for Nerrigundah ... north of here, we have 3 families who are friends who live in that area ... & it's a freakin' tinderbox out there ... .... they are fire savvy so ... I'm hoping they're ok ... *crosses everything*

I'm glad you're ok HK :huglove: I will keep everything crossed for your friends and loved ones.

Fire savvy ?? As best as can be ... we already know that if a fire was close to us we couldn't stay & fight it ... too much dry bush ... it's grab the pups, the photos & get the hell outta here ... !!!

Good girl....at least you're well prepared.

Hi Blue Sky! Let us know if your family is ok.

I expect so ... I chose not to call them direct ... leave their phones free ... but I've called mutual friends ... no-one home ... I'm sure they are meeting with CFA etc. ... they've had enough warning to get out in time I think .... just may lose their properties etc. ... hope it doesn't come to that tho' ...

One of the big tragedies about Vic. fires is that ppl decided to drive out too late .... & burned in their cars ...

The CFA are always saying don't leave late but I suppose alot of people panic and think they can out run it :tears:

I dont know much about the fires .... ... but my thoughts and love go out to you all .... I have family in Oz too !! I hope your ok and send out hugz !!

Thank you :huglove: I hope your family is ok too!

I've just been reading up on the fires, this is awful!

And I'm so angry that arsonists are involved!

WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY THINKING!!!

The weather has obviously made the bush susceptable to fire anyway, so to start fires is just plain lunacy!

And I see one was a 15 year old boy!

I'm just so shocked and angry that people have died from other peoples complete indifference to human life.

I'm glad you guys in Victoria are okay, I hope it stays that way

Thank you :huglove:

So pleased to hear that everyone is OK at the moment... I had this vague idea that Kelz was near the fire zone. We've had our cool change come through, Praise the Lord. It's so much pleasanter today than it has been.

I'll just keep praying that you all stay safe and that the rain will come soon and put out these bloody fires.

Yep. Me, Bec, Tanya, Twatty, Pinkoranges and ummm.. There may be more. Well, anyway we are Victorians.

I'm not in the fire zone. Some friends of my brothers were in the fire zone and have evacuated.

I hope everyone has a good fire plan :huglove:

Zoidy's another Victorian although I think she's in Melbourne.

Aww, I'm sorry it's so hot for you guys! It's been pouring here for about 4 weeks. You can have the rain. I'm most certainly done with it!

badmood.gif

*orders rain to move south*

I've been thinking about you as well! Glad to hear you're OK, even if you are sick of the rain.

Who added 'avoiding boys' to the tags? :sneaky2:

Ummmm.....:fisch:

0,,6478500,00.jpg

Death toll has climbed to 126. 33 of those were from Kinglake.

A man in a wheelchair has died in his home due to being unable to escape the fire.

New Zealand will dispatch 100 Fire fighters to assist with the fires "very soon".

Premier John Brumby has describe the tragedy as "Hell on earth"

The fire ravaged town of Marysville has been declared a crime scene.

Banks and the Red Cross are making financial contributions to those in need.

Centrelink will provide immediate financial assistance. $1000 for each adult affected and $400 per child.

The Daily Telegraph:

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd said arsonists in Victoria had committed mass murder as the death toll in Australia's worst ever bushfires rose to 126 this afternoon, with the final toll expected to be much more.

Authorities are being warned to expect a toll of 230, The Australian quoted sources inside state emergency meetings as saying. Fires were still burning out of control and putting towns at risk in the Beechworth and Yackandandah regions in the state's northeast.

Amid speculation some of the fires were deliberately lit - and with reports yesterday that people were returning to relight blazes after fire crews had left an area - Mr Rudd said: "There are no words to describe it other than mass murder."

At least 750 homes have been destroyed and 3733 people have registered with the Red Cross after evacuating their properties. The number left homeless is expected to be far higher, the Red Cross said.

It was confirmed that at least four children have died, but that figure would also be expected to rise as full details emerged.

A two-year-old girl was among 13 in intensive care in hospital. Twenty-two people with shocking burns were admitted to the Alfred hospital, the state's main trauma centre, where staff ran out of morphine trying to ease patients' pain.

Most of the damage was done by two massive fires - one that virtually wiped out towns northeast of Melbourne including Kinglake and Marysville with a 100km front - and a second inferno that raced across Gippsland.

TV veteran Brian Naylor and his wife Moiree were among the dead. The pair died when the fire at Kinglake swept through their property.

Bushfire experts told news.com.au that blazes with a danger rating of 100 are considered uncontrollable. Saturday's fire had a rating of 400.

Horrific deaths

Six victims were in one car trying to outrun the inferno which swept through Kinglake in minutes. A resident said the town was littered with burnt-out cars and he believed many contained bodies.

"It's going to look like Hiroshima, I tell you, it's going to look like a nuclear bomb," he told Melbourne's Herald Sun.

His daughter told of another resident who "went to put his kids in the car, put them in, turned around to go grab something from the house, then his car was on fire with his kids in it, and they burnt".

Weather conditions have eased since Saturday's firestorm, but firefighters were still battling 31 active blazes across the state as of 11.00am (AEDT), authorities said. The communities of Stanley, Bruarong, Dederang, Gundowring, Gundowring Upper, Kancoona, Kancoona South, Coral Bank, Glenn Creek and Running Creek remained under threat, they said.

Residents of Taggerty, Acheron, Snobs Creek and Eildon were also on alert. Some fires would take weeks to contain, authorities said, and it could also take weeks to formally identify some of those killed.

Other teams were working to clear debris from towns gutted over the weekend to allow those lucky enough to escape a chance to return to their properties.

Among the survivors, families sat in dazed disbelief, surrounded by mattresses, dogs and whatever meagre possessions they managed to gather as they fled the fires.

Some talked of friends who had lost children, brothers and sisters, kids who have lost best friends and of a woman who has not seen her husband since Saturday. They said they had no warning before daylight turned to night and their communities were enveloped in a wall of fire and smoke.

"We looked over and there was a wall of flames looking at us and everything went pitch black. There was no warning," Joanne Fisher of Kinglake said. "I've never seen anything like it in my life ... You see this on TV, it doesn't happen to you."

Arson rumours

It was believed the fire in Bendigo was caused by a cigarette, but Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon said she was sickened by the fact some other fires might have been deliberately lit.

"It makes me very angry ... we all knew we faced the most enormous risks in our community.

"To then have someone who may have lit these fires. Fires are so devastating. The injuries we are seeing. We are talking about a massive death toll."

A survivor told news.com.au that arsonists should hope the police caught them first. "Watch your back, that's all I want to say to them. Watch your back, 24/7."

Teams of disaster victim identification experts were flying in from all over Australia. Extra fire crews were being sent from interstate.

Mr Kevin Rudd offered army troops to help firefighters control the fires. He and state Premier John Brumby also opened up $10 million in emergency funding yesterday.

"This is of a level of horror that few of us anticipated," he said this morning.

Map of areas affected here

Where the fires are burning now: Interactive map

Edited by Kelzy

how is everyone doing here... thinking of you all.

:wub2::wub2:

im so glad all of you are fine, when i found out that there was a big fire, my mind jumped to you guys, and i was hoping no one was near/in it. im so glad to hear youre all fine though

Thank you both :huglove:

Just popping in to make sure everyone is still ok :huglove: My heart is with everyone in NSW & QLD too :wub2:

More news coming. I hope Sarah is ok. And I'd like to know if Zoidy is ok too.