The Australian Thread: Part Nineteen

Rainbow Sky

Since yesterday the official death toll has gone up to 173 with more than 50 people still unaccounted for. The number of homes destroyed has passed 750 including several entire towns. The amount of land affected is now more than 3,000 square kilometres. Who knows exactly how many animals have been affected either. *sigh*

Its crazy... the amount of damage that occured.

I was watching Sunrise this morning (news addict at the moment) and they were doing an aerial tour of the area, and it was just shocking. They weren't even allowed to fly over kinglake due to the amount of devastation there, they think it would be too much to show that.

There's still no news on mums friends, hoping no news is good news, especially since the media has slowly began releasing photos of some of the identified dead (apparently some will take weeks or more to be identified, and some victims were so badly burnt that they may never be offically identified, its so sad)

Kelz you asked when I was flying back. Its tomorrow. I'm guessing once I hit Vic there will be signs of smoke and such out the window.

I just want to say that those who have to go through these towns, to clear up and find bodies, while praying for survivors, and those who are still out there fighting the fires (especially those who may have lost their own homes and loved ones while doing so, as there are some that did), and those who are at the sites volunteering time and such to these victims are real heros.

Anyways I'll speak to you all when I get home tomorrow, the dial up is still slow.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually do like the greens but I have to agree with you here Teegs. My Uncle lives in Beaconsfield and the greens stopped the councils there and in the surrounding areas from doing preventative back burning prior to bushfire season which IMO was just ridiculous.

Well, I don't blame you for not liking them if they aren't being reasonable/realistic about things.

I guess I would have no problem with them if they hadn't screwed us around... Unfortunately they don't seem to be looking out for the environment...

Oh, and did you hear what Bob Brown (the Greens guy) said about the fires? He said it was because of climate change... I don't think arson comes under climate change, just quietly...

rainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrain

rainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainplskthnxbai

We got some today.. not much, but enough to slightly dampen the ground...

Because of the bush fires that were here in 2003, we do have burning off, although I don't really recall them doing it much last winter....

I remember those fires.. my brother, ex sister in law and nephew were in Canberra during the fires, and managed to get out pretty quick...

Hello All .... :huglove:

There is a smoky haze in the middle distance & I can smell it ...

Hopefully it stays in the distance...

Since yesterday the official death toll has gone up to 173 with more than 50 people still unaccounted for. The number of homes destroyed has passed 750 including several entire towns. The amount of land affected is now more than 3,000 square kilometres. Who knows exactly how many animals have been affected either. *sigh*

Probably a lot... but the mention of animals just reminded me of what Karl Stefanovic said on the Today show... he was interviewing a couple who had lost their house and they had their pet miniature horses there and the one near Karl was playing up... He said that he didn't have a way with sausage dogs and horses... he then went and interviewed a woman who had a baby who was unsettled... the baby stopped crying, and when Karl would touch him, he'd start crying again :naughty:...

Also, there was a picture of a man feeding a koala water from a bottle... and someone else watching over a calf in the paper today...

So far so good for my Uncle and we're ok because we live in the burbs.

That's good to hear...

Its crazy... the amount of damage that occured.

I was watching Sunrise this morning (news addict at the moment) and they were doing an aerial tour of the area, and it was just shocking. They weren't even allowed to fly over kinglake due to the amount of devastation there, they think it would be too much to show that.

There's still no news on mums friends, hoping no news is good news, especially since the media has slowly began releasing photos of some of the identified dead (apparently some will take weeks or more to be identified, and some victims were so badly burnt that they may never be offically identified, its so sad)

Kelz you asked when I was flying back. Its tomorrow. I'm guessing once I hit Vic there will be signs of smoke and such out the window.

I just want to say that those who have to go through these towns, to clear up and find bodies, while praying for survivors, and those who are still out there fighting the fires (especially those who may have lost their own homes and loved ones while doing so, as there are some that did), and those who are at the sites volunteering time and such to these victims are real heros.

Anyways I'll speak to you all when I get home tomorrow, the dial up is still slow.

They sure are heroes... the firies deserve some kind of medal for what they're doing...

Hopefully your mum's friend is safe...

Oh, and did you hear what Bob Brown (the Greens guy) said about the fires? He said it was because of climate change... I don't think arson comes under climate change, just quietly...

Sorry I don't mean to sound like a massive greenie or something, but it IS because of climate change. Very obviously. Yes, some fires were started by arsonists, but during the RIDICULOUS heat wave (because they are sick freaks, not by coincidence), and the fires were SO devastating because of the ridiculous heat wave. And the ridiculous heat wave is due to climate change, as are the floods in the north.

If there was no climate change then it wouldn't have had the weather extremes and the fires, even if they were still lit, wouldn't have been as uncontrollable.

I'm so annoyed at myself for giving all my clothes to the op shop like a week ago. Dammit. now they are going around tyring to collect clothes and things for those that lost everything :tears:

bushfires has claimed its first new zealand victim!

We are bunching together to help out our neighbours!

the scene I saw on the news was horrible! Its like hell on earth!

the new zealander killed was a friend of a friend too! known by association! :thumbdown:

Sorry I don't mean to sound like a massive greenie or something, but it IS because of climate change. Very obviously. Yes, some fires were started by arsonists, but during the RIDICULOUS heat wave (because they are sick freaks, not by coincidence), and the fires were SO devastating because of the ridiculous heat wave. And the ridiculous heat wave is due to climate change, as are the floods in the north.

If there was no climate change then it wouldn't have had the weather extremes and the fires, even if they were still lit, wouldn't have been as uncontrollable.

I'm so annoyed at myself for giving all my clothes to the op shop like a week ago. Dammit. now they are going around tyring to collect clothes and things for those that lost everything :tears:

Have you ever read a book called State of Fear? It's a novel by Michael Crichton... made me definitely think twice about the concept of "climate change".

the new zealander killed was a friend of a friend too! known by association! :thumbdown:

That's dreadful!

And as mentioned already... the animals affected:boxed: It's just mind boggling.

Have you ever read a book called State of Fear? It's a novel by Michael Crichton... made me definitely think twice about the concept of "climate change".

I haven't read it, but the Earth's temperature is rising 0.5C every year, and with it are noticable weather extremes like these two. I don't care if it's nature or not, it IS happening and we are at least adding to it with our emmissions.

What does the book say?

I want to bottle up our flood and send it to Australia! you guys need it more than we seem to!

Yeah, my rain dance seems to have backfired, we had torrential rain all night and parts of my garden are flooded. :thumbdown:

Yeah, my rain dance seems to have backfired, we had torrential rain all night and parts of my garden are flooded. :thumbdown:

my whole street was flooded! and all I could think is how We could all bottle the excess and send it over to australia with the aid and stuff!

Temperatures may be going up slightly, but who's to say it isn't just what happens naturally? Not saying that emissions haven't affected the world, but it could be part of the natural cycle of the world...

Most fires don't just spontaneously combust without any sort of help... basically, unless someone threw out a cigarette, dry bush was hit by lightning or someone started it, it's not often that they just start because it's dry and hot...

And north Queensland get more extremes in wet and dry weather than anything out of the tropics... even bonzaboy said she's been through this before... that, and it doesn't seem that out of the ordinary...

I've been thinking about reading it... should try and find it...

Temperatures may be going up slightly, but who's to say it isn't just what happens naturally? Not saying that emissions haven't affected the world, but it could be part of the natural cycle of the world...

Most fires don't just spontaneously combust without any sort of help... basically, unless someone threw out a cigarette, dry bush was hit by lightning or someone started it, it's not often that they just start because it's dry and hot... .

I think what OKD means is that the heatwave made everything even drier and more combustible, so that any fire started - by whatever means - would be unstoppable.

I'm glad the smoke has cleared up and you're ok :huglove: *crosses fingers for rain*

So far so good for my Uncle and we're ok because we live in the burbs. :thumb_yello:

Thanks Tan ... & that's good news ...

I'm sorry for you about that .... :huglove:

Hello Aussies, glad to hear everyone is still OK :thumb_yello:

Thanks Silv ... *hugs*

And obviously you will have to come HERE to bring the rain ....

I think what OKD means is that the heatwave made everything even drier and more combustible, so that any fire started - by whatever means - would be unstoppable.

Yes... I think that's what she means too ....

Hello again all ... xox

Thanks Tan ... & that's good news ...

I'm sorry for you about that .... :huglove:

Thanks Silv ... *hugs*

And obviously you will have to come HERE to bring the rain ....

Yes... I think that's what she means too ....

Hello again all ... xox

Even when I log in earlier I still manage to miss you HK.:sneaky2:

Sorry Silv ... I'm here ... just watching an amazing session of parliament where I have NEVER seen more unity & compassion ... very emotional ... :tears::wub2:

It's a pity it takes a tragedy to bring out the better side of people

OkD has raised a very good point. Teegs is right in that it's possible that the climate change we're experiencing might be in part due a natural cycle but no one can reasonably deny any longer that the process has been greatly accelerated by the vast amount of emissions that we're pumping into the atmosphere and have been doing so since the industrial revolution. Increased temperatures of fractions of a degree may sound 'slight' but in ecological terms they are huge. What it comes down to is that every single one of us is partly responsible for climate change because we're all gas and electricity and product consumers. It's not just the arsonists or even the anti-back burning greenies who compounded the effect of the recent bush fires.

On the matter of back burning, though, I must add that some forested areas can act as water catchments and attract rain so the back burning of some areas can be more damaging than beneficial. So on the subject we should be wary of making blanket statements like 'back burning = good, anti-back burning greenies = bad'.

Donating clothes, food and physical items is indeed generous and useful for the bush fire victims but only to an extent - what they really need is money. Transporting clothes etc. costs money and that money might be better used rebuilding their homes and livelihoods. :thumb_yello:

Edited by S&M

Helloooo... Remember me?

I had the weird Mika dream that I've had in a while so I thought that maybe it was a sign that I needed to drop in and say hello since it's been ages.

I miss coming here but I'm STILL stuck in bed. If only I had a laptop I'd never leave... Oh well. Things here kind of suck, I'm 14 week along now (the ticker thingy down there is wrong, now I'm due August 11th) but it's kind of hard to be excited when my doctor continually reminds me that everything could go wrong at any moment. Still, I am trying to stay positive.

Back to my dream for a second, if Mika ever decides to fly to Sydney to film a video and gives us all 12 hours notice to get there if we want to be in it, someone please punch him for me because I won't be going. Stupid dream.

Anyhow, I hope everyone is well and all the other Victorians are safe from the fires. We've had a couple near us but they're out now thankfully. I hope everyone else and your families and friends are ok. :huglove:

Now I will see if I can remember how to post photos so you can see the first pictures of Mini Mikamite :)

And now it's back to bed for me. Hooray. I miss you all :wub2:

12us5.jpg

12us4.jpg

12us2.jpg

Now that put a well-needed smile on my face. It's great to hear that both you and Baby Mikamite are well, Zoidy. :thumb_yello:

If Mika does that he'll not only have a punch from you but a kick in the crotch from me. :fisch::mf_rosetinted:

hi everyone....I pray for everyone in Oz right now...my relatives are near Brisbane north of Sydney and I am very concerned for everyone...all of you Aussies ( kelzy....LOVE YOU!!! ) my cousin is expecting a baby and cousin Stephen talks to me on the internet...they are transplanted NZers who moved to NZ....so I am sweating back here in concern and I wish I could send money but I am broke right now!

much ,,,,love Suzanne

OkD has raised a very good point. Teegs is right in that it's possible that the climate change we're experiencing might be in part due a natural cycle but no one can reasonably deny any longer that the process has been greatly accelerated by the vast amount of emissions that we're pumping into the atmosphere and have been doing so since the industrial revolution. Increased temperatures of fractions of a degree may sound 'slight' but in ecological terms they are huge. What it comes down to is that every single one of us is partly responsible for climate change because we're all gas and electricity and product consumers. It's not just the arsonists or even the anti-back burning greenies who compounded the effect of the recent bush fires.

On the matter of back burning, though, I must add that some forested areas can act as water catchments and attract rain so the back burning of some areas can be more damaging than beneficial. So on the subject we should be wary of making blanket statements like 'back burning = good, anti-back burning greenies = bad'.

True, true... I suppose I should accept that is true too... *hmph*

:naughty:

Helloooo... Remember me?

I had the weird Mika dream that I've had in a while so I thought that maybe it was a sign that I needed to drop in and say hello since it's been ages.

I miss coming here but I'm STILL stuck in bed. If only I had a laptop I'd never leave... Oh well. Things here kind of suck, I'm 14 week along now (the ticker thingy down there is wrong, now I'm due August 11th) but it's kind of hard to be excited when my doctor continually reminds me that everything could go wrong at any moment. Still, I am trying to stay positive.

Back to my dream for a second, if Mika ever decides to fly to Sydney to film a video and gives us all 12 hours notice to get there if we want to be in it, someone please punch him for me because I won't be going. Stupid dream.

Anyhow, I hope everyone is well and all the other Victorians are safe from the fires. We've had a couple near us but they're out now thankfully. I hope everyone else and your families and friends are ok. :huglove:

Now I will see if I can remember how to post photos so you can see the first pictures of Mini Mikamite :)

And now it's back to bed for me. Hooray. I miss you all :wub2:

12us5.jpg

12us4.jpg

12us2.jpg

PAMMY! Great to see you dropped by... make sure you keep resting, and make sure you tell the doctor to stop telling you what you already know...

I might go and play the old skool games like the others are doing...