The Australian Thread: Part Nineteen

Rainbow Sky

Sorry Silv ... I'm here ... just watching an amazing session of parliament where I have NEVER seen more unity & compassion ... very emotional ... :tears wub2:

Yeah, I'd been watching a bit of that too. I think just about everyone, even those not close to the fires, have shed a few tears over this. I'll post an update after this MQ.

So Kelzy - how come you didn't tell us about this photo of Mika doing his ladybird impression? :wink2

003344ab.jpg

:roftl: We are soooo meant to be together.. *fangurl* *pbs*

OkD has raised a very good point. Teegs is right in that it's possible that the climate change we're experiencing might be in part due a natural cycle but no one can reasonably deny any longer that the process has been greatly accelerated by the vast amount of emissions that we're pumping into the atmosphere and have been doing so since the industrial revolution. Increased temperatures of fractions of a degree may sound 'slight' but in ecological terms they are huge. What it comes down to is that every single one of us is partly responsible for climate change because we're all gas and electricity and product consumers. It's not just the arsonists or even the anti-back burning greenies who compounded the effect of the recent bush fires.

I agree on the matter of the heatwave being a natural cycle. And I agree that it's worsened due to the vast amount of emissions that we're pumping into the atmosphere.

Ok, so this is from Wikipedia, but I daresay it's fairly accurate still.

The day of the Black Thursday fires - February 6, 1851 - reportedly had temperatures of around 47 °C (117 °F). (But no records to prove so)

On the day of The Black Friday fires - January 13, 1939 - temperatures had reached 45.6 °C (114.1 °F).

On the day of The Ash Wednesday fires - February 16th, 1983 - temperatures had rose above 43 °C, with winds of up to 110km/h and relative humidity plunging to as low as 6 per cent.

And now The Darkest Day fires (which they keep referring to them as) on February 7th, 2009 temperatures reached 46.4 with winds gusting up to 82kmh.

Prior to each tragedy Victoria experienced the highest temperatures ever recorded, and a drought. I think we then go through a cold and wet season. But I may be wrong about that. Does anyone know??

Wait, Ash Wednesday wasn't a highest recorded temp day. But it was hot. I remember that summer.. :sweatdrop:

Anyway, the period of time between the first 3 fires is 88 years, then 44 years, and now 26 years. And considering that between 1983 and 2009 we have severely increased our atmospheric emissions (Is that the correct term?) it makes sense that the time frame decreased greatly. I assume that, at this rate, we'll be looking at these similar conditions in 14 years.

But this is just a theory I'm rattling off.

On the matter of back burning, though, I must add that some forested areas can act as water catchments and attract rain so the back burning of some areas can be more damaging than beneficial. So on the subject we should be wary of making blanket statements like 'back burning = good, anti-back burning greenies = bad'.

That's true. There's alot of things to consider when trying to contain a bush fire. It's not just a matter of "Oh, let's throw water on it and cut these trees down". They're saying on skynews that they are focusing on the Thomastown area because that's where Victoria's water supply is. And we need that desperately.

Donating clothes, food and physical items is indeed generous and useful for the bush fire victims but only to an extent - what they really need is money. Transporting clothes etc. costs money and that money might be better used rebuilding their homes and livelihoods. :thumb_yello:

I heard that certain areas of Victoria have a location where you can donate things to and that each area have been assigned what to donate. Money is what they are saying is needed the most and the best thing you can send if you don't know what to or where you can donate other things too.

Helloooo... Remember me?

Yes. Thanks for calling in so we knew you were in a safe area.

hi everyone....I pray for everyone in Oz right now...my relatives are near Brisbane north of Sydney and I am very concerned for everyone...all of you Aussies ( kelzy....LOVE YOU!!! ) my cousin is expecting a baby and cousin Stephen talks to me on the internet...they are transplanted NZers who moved to NZ....so I am sweating back here in concern and I wish I could send money but I am broke right now!

much ,,,,love Suzanne

Heya Suz :huglove: Your family is in a safe area. The NZ Firefighters are expected to land here within the fortnight. I haven't checked to see if they have landed already. Don't worry about money, just keep on praying.

I'll go gather some deets..

Edited by Kelzy

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that put a well-needed smile on my face. It's great to hear that both you and Baby Mikamite are well, Zoidy. :thumb_yello

Me too Zoidy !! I'm glad to hear that you are still ok ... :huglove:

hi everyone....I pray for everyone in Oz right now...my relatives are near Brisbane north of Sydney and I am very concerned for everyone...all of you Aussies ( kelzy....LOVE YOU!!! ) my cousin is expecting a baby and cousin Stephen talks to me on the internet...they are transplanted NZers who moved to NZ....so I am sweating back here in concern and I wish I could send money but I am broke right now!

much ,,,,love Suzanne

Hi Suzanne ... like Kelz said , your family are in a safe area . :wub2:

OkD has raised a very good point. Teegs is right in that it's possible that the climate change we're experiencing might be in part due a natural cycle but no one can reasonably deny any longer that the process has been greatly accelerated by the vast amount of emissions that we're pumping into the atmosphere and have been doing so since the industrial revolution. Increased temperatures of fractions of a degree may sound 'slight' but in ecological terms they are huge. What it comes down to is that every single one of us is partly responsible for climate change because we're all gas and electricity and product consumers. It's not just the arsonists or even the anti-back burning greenies who compounded the effect of the recent bush fires.

On the matter of back burning, though, I must add that some forested areas can act as water catchments and attract rain so the back burning of some areas can be more damaging than beneficial. So on the subject we should be wary of making blanket statements like 'back burning = good, anti-back burning greenies = bad'.

Donating clothes, food and physical items is indeed generous and useful for the bush fire victims but only to an extent - what they really need is money. Transporting clothes etc. costs money and that money might be better used rebuilding their homes and livelihoods. :thumb_yello

Right on to everything in that post !!! :punk::thumb_yello:

Hello all ! :bye:

Hope yooz are all safe !

We still haven't had rain yet ... :rolls_eyes: ... ah, but I spy some dark clouds so ... now I am more hopeful !! :original:

I agree on the matter of the heatwave being a natural cycle. And I agree that it's worsened due to the vast amount of emissions that we're pumping into the atmosphere.

The day of the Black Thursday fires - February 6, 1851 - reportedly had temperatures of around 47 °C (117 °F). (But no records to prove so)

On the day of The Black Friday fires - January 13, 1939 - temperatures had reached 45.6 °C (114.1 °F).

On the day of The Ash Wednesday fires - February 16th, 1983 - temperatures had rose above 43 °C, with winds of up to 110km/h and relative humidity plunging to as low as 6 per cent.

And now The Darkest Day fires (which they keep referring to them as) on February 7th, 2009 temperatures reached 46.4 with winds gusting up to 82kmh.

Prior to each tragedy Victoria experienced the highest temperatures ever recorded, and a drought. I think we then go through a cold and wet season. But I may be wrong about that. Does anyone know??

Wait, Ash Wednesday wasn't a highest recorded temp day. But it was hot. I remember that summer.. :sweatdrop:

Anyway, the period of time between the first 3 fires is 88 years, then 44 years, and now 26 years. And considering that between 1983 and 2009 we have severely increased our atmospheric emissions (Is that the correct term?) it makes sense that the time frame decreased greatly. I assume that, at this rate, we'll be looking at these similar conditions in 14 years.

That's true. There's alot of things to consider when trying to contain a bush fire. It's not just a matter of "Oh, let's throw water on it and cut these trees down". They're saying on skynews that they are focusing on the Thomastown area because that's where Victoria's water supply is. And we need that desperately.

I heard that certain areas of Victoria have a location where you can donate things to and that each area have been assigned what to donate. Money is what they are saying is needed the most and the best thing you can send if you don't know what to or where you can donate other things too.

Hmmmm... interesting... I guess when you see a pattern that starts to make a lot of sense...

There's a freight company that's organising to take any goods from Orange down to Melbourne for free... the truck drivers are going ot drive for free as well...

Hmmmm... interesting... I guess when you see a pattern that starts to make a lot of sense...

There's a freight company that's organising to take any goods from Orange down to Melbourne for free... the truck drivers are going ot drive for free as well...

Hi Teegs ! That's good news !! :thumb_yello:

Actually, they announced that a few days ago... Monday I think it was... but I though it was great that they were doing it...

I was going to donate blood this week, seeing as they're going to need it desperately, but I don't know if it would be a good idea considering I'm going into hospital in 5 weeks... oh wow... it's 5 weeks today.

Actually, they announced that a few days ago... Monday I think it was... but I though it was great that they were doing it...

I was going to donate blood this week, seeing as they're going to need it desperately, but I don't know if it would be a good idea considering I'm going into hospital in 5 weeks... oh wow... it's 5 weeks today.

Hhhmm .... I guess you could just ask them if it would harm you at all ??

Hi Nono !!! :huglove: Yeah .... such tragedy .... :thumbdown:

Call me slow, but I just heard about the fires this morning on the news. I hope everyone is alright :no::huglove:

So far we're all OK !:wub2: There's a few of us in potential fire zones ...but we are staying in touch in this thread ... kinda like a 'roll call' :naughty:

I must say tho' ... this constant tension in the tummy is pretty exhausting ... :thumbdown:

So far we're all OK !:wub2: There's a few of us in potential fire zones ...but we are staying in touch in this thread ... kinda like a 'roll call' :naughty:

I must say tho' ... this constant tension in the tummy is pretty exhausting ... :thumbdown:

Well I'm very glad you're all okay :wub2:

These sound like the fires we get in CA all the time:thumbdown:

Well I'm very glad you're all okay :wub2:

These sound like the fires we get in CA all the time:thumbdown:

Yeah ... I've seen your CA fires on the news in the past .... :no:

There were/are a few in Victoria that traveled so fast that so many ppl couldn't get out in time ... authorities are expecting at least 200 dead ... 750 + homes lost ..... just tragic ... :thumbdown:

That's an interesting observation. The space of 158 years is pretty small in terms of measuring temperature trends but it's interesting to see what can happen in even that short a time.

I think that's awesome, especially since it solves the main issue with donating goods: the fact that it costs money to transport them. :thumb_yello:

Just letting you all know that I'm still fine. :thumb_yello:

My area is well out of danger now I think.

:biggrin2:

In other news.. I have to go to the school swimming carnival tomorrow. :thumbdown:

:sad::wink2:

Zoidy! Glad to see you're safe :huglove:

Make sure you're a good girl and do everything you're supposed to do:wink2

Hey Tan ! Good to see you're still ok too ... :wub2:

Thank ye

Man it feels good to not have a coffee break while waiting for a page to load.

:roftl:

And I missed my bed (though I need to change the sheets on it... should learn to do these things before I go away)

I wonder who you may have learnt that trick off :mf_rosetinted:

Welcome Back CW! :bonk:

:roftl:

I wonder who you may have learnt that trick off :mf_rosetinted:

Welcome Back CW! :bonk:

You have (hopefully) now taught me well oh master. Changing the sheets just then was not fun.

And now I sit in my car for about half an hour, after getting petrol, so that the battery can charge. Cars flashed their high beams at me on the way home, as if I wasn't aware that I didnt have my headlights on (it was on the streets that I know and still plenty light, and having headlights on would just generate a negative charge, meaning the battery would be flatter and I'd have to sit in here longer)

and this is all so I can go car hunting tomorrow. I'll be peeved if the car is flat tomorrow morning *considers sitting in it for an hour to charge it more*

I have laptop, torch (dont want to use the light in here and waste more battery) and a book so I'll be set.

And I'm in here so I don't have to leave the engine running with the keys in (steal me sign anyone?)

Hey Aussies! Hope you all are well.

I'm invading your thread to make sure you saw this story. I thought it was freakin' cute. :tears:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-koala11-2009feb11,0,5477507.story

Sam :wub2:

Thanks for dropping in LM.

They were talking about the animals they have found tonight on the news. So sad, but so good they found some and can help them.

I'm going to watch it and come back and report on todays events shortly.