The Australian Thread: Part Nineteen

Rainbow Sky

You have (hopefully) now taught me well oh master. Changing the sheets just then was not fun.

And now I sit in my car for about half an hour, after getting petrol, so that the battery can charge. Cars flashed their high beams at me on the way home, as if I wasn't aware that I didnt have my headlights on (it was on the streets that I know and still plenty light, and having headlights on would just generate a negative charge, meaning the battery would be flatter and I'd have to sit in here longer)

and this is all so I can go car hunting tomorrow. I'll be peeved if the car is flat tomorrow morning *considers sitting in it for an hour to charge it more*

I have laptop, torch (dont want to use the light in here and waste more battery) and a book so I'll be set.

And I'm in here so I don't have to leave the engine running with the keys in (steal me sign anyone?)

Yae for car hunting and sheet changing.

While you're sitting there with nothing to do you can give us the deets on the guy you stalked. :naughty: We've been waiting oh so impatiently.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were talking about the animals they have found tonight on the news. So sad, but so good they found some and can help them.

I'm going to watch it and come back and report on todays events shortly.

It's always a nice feeling that when things are going so badly, some good comes of it.

There's a video on YouTube of the koala drinking from a water bottle:

Not so much deets. And I am limited by the battery on this.

Okay so I got on the train from Frankston, and at some point I vaguely registered the presence of another person with a suitcase further up the carriage. His back was to me though. I then went back to my book (I was rereading Twilight)

So, eventually we got to Southern Cross, and I hop off the train. I glance up the station a bit and there is suitcase boy, only this time I get a bit of a look "Hmmm, cute" I think to myself, while absentmindedly wondering where he is off to.

I hope on the escalators on the one next to him, but a little behind. I then start making my way to the bus terminals, noticing that suitcase boy was also heading that way. I was beginning to feal stalkerish.

Before I hopped on the skybus, I went to the toilet, thus losing suitcase boy. But when I hop on the bus, who should I see but him, and this time I get a bit of an odd look.

Anyways, the skybus is crowded, I take a seat and we arrive at Melbourne airport. I lose site of him again as I try to find the Tiger Terminal (t4, which is not actually in the main airport part. You have to leave that part, walk down a fair bit following the paw prints and then you find it)

I wait in line to check in (no web check in), and glance up the line. A couple of people in front of me, checking into my same flight is suitcase boy :shocked: Now I really felt stalkerish.

After checking in I was tempted to talk to him, but caffiene needs called and so I got a much needed coffee, then went to browse magazines (another important thing, I picked up Q with Kings of Leon on the cover :wub2:)

Anyways I take a seat again, and sit opposite him (unintentionally)

I was just about to strike up a conversation and remark on how much of a stalker I am (which means a bit of time has passed, as I flicked through my mag and tried to work up the courage) when the boarding call came on.

Sadly my stalking powers did not extend so far as to getting a seat next to him. And thus the tale ends there.

No sign of him today either, but I may live to stalk him another day

The Japanese people just had a minutes silence for the Bushfire victims before the start of our world cup qualifier in Japan....and they've been collecting at the ground :tears:

The national anthem made me bawl my eyes out. There is only 1,000 aussies there but they were even louder than usual. I'll definitely be a blubbering mess at the bushfire appeal game on Friday night!

Okay so I got on the train from Frankston, and at some point I vaguely registered the presence of another person with a suitcase further up the carriage. His back was to me though. I then went back to my book (I was rereading Twilight)

So, eventually we got to Southern Cross, and I hop off the train. I glance up the station a bit and there is suitcase boy, only this time I get a bit of a look "Hmmm, cute" I think to myself, while absentmindedly wondering where he is off to.

I hope on the escalators on the one next to him, but a little behind. I then start making my way to the bus terminals, noticing that suitcase boy was also heading that way. I was beginning to feal stalkerish.

Before I hopped on the skybus, I went to the toilet, thus losing suitcase boy. But when I hop on the bus, who should I see but him, and this time I get a bit of an odd look.

Anyways, the skybus is crowded, I take a seat and we arrive at Melbourne airport. I lose site of him again as I try to find the Tiger Terminal (t4, which is not actually in the main airport part. You have to leave that part, walk down a fair bit following the paw prints and then you find it)

I wait in line to check in (no web check in), and glance up the line. A couple of people in front of me, checking into my same flight is suitcase boy :shocked: Now I really felt stalkerish.

After checking in I was tempted to talk to him, but caffiene needs called and so I got a much needed coffee, then went to browse magazines (another important thing, I picked up Q with Kings of Leon on the cover :wub2:)

I was just about to strike up a conversation and remark on how much of a stalker I am (which means a bit of time has passed, as I flicked through my mag and tried to work up the courage) when the boarding call came on.

Sadly my stalking powers did not extend so far as to getting a seat next to him. And thus the tale ends there.

Welcome back Bec!

It's always a nice feeling that when things are going so badly, some good comes of it.

It's such an adorable moment between survivor and saviour.

And, it turned out that Sam is a girl. She's being well-taken care of as we speak. And now she has a boyfriend named Bob. :wub2:

Millions of animals feared dead link

More than a million native animals may have perished in Victoria's fire inferno, a wildlife expert says.

The massive effort to rescue animals caught in the fire has begun with triage centres set up to assess injured wildlife at staging posts at Kilmore, Whittlesea and Redesdale near Bendigo.

The animals are then being treated and assessed by vets at nearby shelters, who make the agonising decision about which ones need to be euthanased.

Those animals still able to may wait several weeks before walking out of fire-affected forest, Gayle Chappell from the Hepburn Wildlife Shelter said.

Ms Chappell is among those working to rescue the animals and says the extent of the devastation may never be known.

'It (the animal death toll) will be in the hundreds of thousands, possibly millions,' Ms Chappell said.

'We are not just talking the animals we are familiar with, there are gliders and all sorts of possums, antechinus (a mouse-like marsupial), bandicoots, birds - there is so much wildlife.

'It is devastating, the actual size of the destruction is devastating to a number of wildlife populations.'

It is feared endangered populations of gliders, owls and lizards may be among the dead.

For those that have survived, the recovery process will be long and slow.

'They have lost their homes too and they are not going to be rebuilt in a year or two years, it is a much longer-term picture,' Ms Chappell said.

'You can't reconstruct a forest.'

The fires also destroyed four wildlife shelters including Stella Reid's Wildhaven shelter at Kinglake.

Ms Chappell said Ms Reid escaped with her life, but the animals were not so lucky.

'It has been a real blow for everybody I think. That is what has really brought it home for everybody, hearing that Stella Reid's place was totalled and all her animals ... they weren't able to get any animals out at all.'

Fire death toll could reach 300 link

There are fears the death toll from Victoria's devastating bushfires could soar as high as 300. Cooler conditions have helped the efforts of fire fighters overnight, but more than 4,000 fire-fighters are still battling at least 20 blazes.

The number of lives lost stands at 181, but it's feared the toll could pass 300 as police reach more areas. More than 1,000 properties have been destroyed and more than 400,000 hectares of land has been burnt-out.

Cooler temperatures overnight helped fire-fighters strengthen containment lines around a number of fires, but residents are still being warned to remain vigilant, with southerly winds expected to pick up. Authorities are also warning conditions could deteriorate in coming days, with more hot temperatures forecast this weekend.

The main fires causing concern for fire authorities across the state include:

- In East Gippsland, there is a large fire burning through crown land and an awareness message has been issued for communities north-west of Dargo.

- The Churchill/Jeeralang blaze is also causing concern and there are alerts for Hazelwood, Jeeralang and Callignee.

- In the Yarra Valley, the Maroondah-Yarra fire is threatening areas around Healesville.

- The Yea Murrindindi fire is still a major concern, and is threatening several communities.

- The main fear of fire-fighters now is the possibility that the Yea Murrindindi fire will meet up with the Maroondah-Yarra fire to create an unmanageable fire front. :boxed:

The Country Fire Service advises residents in those areas to have a fire plan, and decide early whether to stay and defend your home or evacuate.

One fifth of Marysville wiped out link

Victorian premier John Brumby has revealed up to 100 people - about one-fifth of Marysville's population - may have died in the inferno that swept through the town.

Police have counted just eight Marysville residents dead so far but Mr Brumby says that figure could climb to between 50 and 100 lives finally lost there.

Mr Brumby's told Sky News the death toll, which currently stands at 181, will certainly go above 200 but he's refused to speculate beyond that.

The premier's also defended the police decision to close off Marysville as a crime scene while investigators sift through the ruins looking for bodies and signs of arson.

He says there's still danger from fallen powerlines and burning trees and there's also the trauma of bodies still to be found among the ruins of homes in the town.

:tears:

An excerpt about arsonists: link

Police targeting of known arsonists on days of high fire danger may also soon become common across the country to try to prevent a repeat of the bushfires that have ripped through the region.

In the only such programme in the country, South Australian police visit people under suspicion and patrol vulnerable areas on the lookout for arsonists, known as firebugs, during the fire season.

A recent study concluded that half of all Australian bushfires were started deliberately. The programme, dubbed Operation Nomad, is now under consideration in other states.

Mike Rann, South Australia's premier, said that 120 officers across the state had checked on about 40 people of interest on Saturday when there were only two serious fires, neither of which was believed to have been lit deliberately.

“There are people who want to cause devastation,” said Mr Rann. “These people are mass murderers; these people are terrorists within our community. Operation Nomad has been a terrific advance, an incredible addition to our firefighting tools.”

Water and Power under threat link

Fires burning out of control could threaten Melbourne's water and gas supplies.

The Thompson Reservoir catchment is under threat from the Yarra Valley bushfires north of the city and there are concerns for the Longford gas plant east of the Bunyip fire in Gippsland.

Emergency services spokesman Steve Warrington says they're throwing all the resources they can to stop fires threatening Melbourne's water harvest in the mountains and the billowing smoke that could shut down the Longford gas plant.

And on a lighter note

Australian team visits bushfire zone link

Australia's cricketers have played their part in lifting the spirits of bushfire victims in Victoria today.

And skipper Ricky Ponting has given one 10 year old plenty to talk about with his mates after he was clean bowled by the boy from Kinglake who had the day off because his school was burnt to the ground on Saturday.

Ponting's described meeting families traumatised by Saturday's bushfires as very moving and very hard, as well as confronting.

The Australian captain met with one woman who was convinced Ponting looked exactly like her son.

He says she hasn't seen her son for a few days so he spent a bit of time with her.

Also, I heard it's rumoured that maybe only the Churchill Fires were started by an arsonist. :blink:

Hhhmm .... I guess you could just ask them if it would harm you at all ??

Well mum said that it might not hurt as long as I have a lot of iron rich foods up till I go in, but I'd like to make sure... I feel like that's the best way I can help out, but I don't want to make things worse for me with the operation..

I think that's awesome, especially since it solves the main issue with donating goods: the fact that it costs money to transport them.

And that's exactly why they decided to do it...

Hey Aussies! Hope you all are well.

I'm invading your thread to make sure you saw this story. I thought it was freakin' cute.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-koala11-2009feb11,0,5477507.story

I saw that exact picture in the newspaper a few days ago... it's so adorable...

How cute!

I can't believe how much water the koala drank!

And the "How much can a koala bear?" joke was quite fitting...

And the firey sounds so Aussie! :naughty:

You haz skillz Bec! Welcome back BTW...

The Japanese people just had a minutes silence for the Bushfire victims before the start of our world cup qualifier in Japan....and they've been collecting at the ground :tears:

The national anthem made me bawl my eyes out. There is only 1,000 aussies there but they were even louder than usual. I'll definitely be a blubbering mess at the bushfire appeal game on Friday night!

Wow... that's amazing... And that's so good that the Japanese had a minute's silence... I would expect it in Australia, but it to happen in another country seems so surprising to me...

I hope people are going to watch the appeal thing on tomorrow night... I will try and watch as much as I can, but I'll be at TAFE (I actually decided to go back to TAFE and do a Cert 4, and I've done most of the stuff for the subjects we cover on Wed nights)...

:roftl: :roftl: Did he look like a local bogan, or was he perhaps going back home to QLD to surf the sunny seas?

:sad: I'm blubbering whenever I watch the news.

Out of the car now..

If it doesn't start tomorrow I'll be peeved

If it doesn't start then it's not your day for car hunting.

Thanks for the welcome backs everyone, in case I didn't already mention it.

:roftl: :roftl: Did he look like a local bogan, or was he perhaps going back home to QLD to surf the sunny seas?

If it doesn't start then it's not your day for car hunting.

He looked like an IT nerd... but in a good way :das:

And I know that feeling.

True.... but I don't want to have to rely on having dad drive me around as my only means of car hunting. Plus the longer it takes me to get a new car, the longer it is until I am able to start at the primary school

Although I haven't had a lot of opportunity to post here in a while, you've been on my mind - especially the Aussies in Melbourne and the tragedies.

I'm glad to see my friends here are okay, but I'm still saddened by all the loss that has happened around you.:tears:

Thinking of you ...

Wow... that's amazing... And that's so good that the Japanese had a minute's silence... I would expect it in Australia, but it to happen in another country seems so surprising to me...

I hope people are going to watch the appeal thing on tomorrow night... I will try and watch as much as I can, but I'll be at TAFE (I actually decided to go back to TAFE and do a Cert 4, and I've done most of the stuff for the subjects we cover on Wed nights)...

I know! They said they would be collecting money but I didn't hear anything about the minute's silence.

We will aboslutely be watching!

Right there with you. I've been leaving it on Sky News all day, everyday. They've just said there are now 1,000 homes destroyed and the toll could exceed 300 people :tears:

Although I haven't had a lot of opportunity to post here in a while, you've been on my mind - especially the Aussies in Melbourne and the tragedies.

I'm glad to see my friends here are okay, but I'm still saddened by all the loss that has happened around you.:tears:

Thinking of you ...

Hi Suzy :huglove:

Hoopla Melz :naughty:

*dances like an ant walking backwards*

:lmfao: ...I can't even begin to explain what I was thinking when I said that.. :roftl: But it has a meaning.. :wink2: And it was relevant to something DC said.... :aah: I was just very happy.. or smth... :fisch:

Hamish & Andy gave the official website to thank the firefighters......for those interested.

http://www.thankyoufiries.com/

I wish we had sky news... actually any form of pay tv would be good, so i can get the music channels and the sci fi channel... :naughty:

I got it for the sport, music and UKTV :naughty:

Hi Suzy!! Hi Tan :wub2: X 2

*in sing-song kindagarteny voice* Hello Miss Kelzy :huglove:

Edited by Tanya K

Guess not :no:

Millions of animals feared dead

Fire death toll could reach 300

The main fires causing concern for fire authorities across the state include:

- In East Gippsland, there is a large fire burning through crown land and an awareness message has been issued for communities north-west of Dargo.

- The Churchill/Jeeralang blaze is also causing concern and there are alerts for Hazelwood, Jeeralang and Callignee.

- In the Yarra Valley, the Maroondah-Yarra fire is threatening areas around Healesville.

- The Yea Murrindindi fire is still a major concern, and is threatening several communities.

- The main fear of fire-fighters now is the possibility that the Yea Murrindindi fire will meet up with the Maroondah-Yarra fire to create an unmanageable fire front. :boxed:

The Country Fire Service advises residents in those areas to have a fire plan, and decide early whether to stay and defend your home or evacuate.

One fifth of Marysville wiped out

An excerpt about arsonists:

Water and Power under threat

Thanks for the updates, Kelzy