MIKA Live in New York, June 23rd, 2009

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm getting confused with all this EST/GMT mention.

As London is now running BST (British Summer Time) which is an hour ahead of GMT, and presumably New York is also running EDT (their daylight savings version of EST), would it maybe be easier to refer to "NY time" and "London time" just to make things clearer?

Surely I can't possibly be the only one getting confused? :roftl: And I'm usually quite clue'd up about timezones, etc... Just that all this mention now to the 'normal' non dayligh saving times is a bit confusing IMO.

As London is now running BST (British Summer Time) which is an hour ahead of GMT, and presumably New York is also running EDT (their daylight savings version of EST), would it maybe be easier to refer to "NY time" and "London time" just to make things clearer?

Surely I can't possibly be the only one getting confused? :roftl: And I'm usually quite clue'd up about timezones, etc... Just that all this mention now to the 'normal' non dayligh saving times is a bit confusing IMO.

And why missus is this so important to you...huh? :wink2:

:woot_jump:

Finally a gig I can go to without taking an airplane!!!!

And thank god the 24th it's our national holiday in Québec, I should be able to skip work on the 23rd :biggrin2:

This apple is surely going to the BIG Apple!

:yay:

LPS451-NewYorkBigApple.jpg

YAY!! I'm so happy for you girlies!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a fabulous time!! I wish I could be there with you but that would be WAY too decadent even for my standards :naughty::roftl:

As London is now running BST (British Summer Time) which is an hour ahead of GMT

I think only the British use BST. In ternationally when we refer to timezones we (in any European business including UK partners) ALWAYS use GMT to refer to the time in UK and CET for Central Europe...

Making a difference between BST and and GMT no longer makes sense as the UK and Europe forward /rewind the clock in March and October at the same time.

It's great the date does not coincide with the wedding, isn't :wink2:

Or my son's birthday (14th) or his graduation (24th). I do have to fly back the next morning but that's ok. I AM THRILLED!

YAY!! I'm so happy for you girlies!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a fabulous time!! I wish I could be there with you but that would be WAY too decadent even for my standards :naughty::roftl:

Hey - I'm willing to bet that if I wave that extra NYC gig ticket in your face after all your European Mika gigs are done....that maybe... :naughty:

That sucks; it's only for 18+...

would you go if it was all ages?

:woot_jump:

And thank god the 24th it's our national holiday in Québec, I should be able to skip work on the 23rd :biggrin2:

:yay:

at last,someone who can actualy go :naughty:

Finally a gig that is less than 2000 miles away! :yay:

Thank you Mika :fangurl:

Making a difference between BST and and GMT no longer makes sense as the UK and Europe forward /rewind the clock in March and October at the same time.

They need to make a distinction in this case because GMT is only 4 hours more than EDT, when they are talking about a time that is 5 hours more than EDT. If the tickets go on sale at 2 pm in the US then it is 7 pm in the UK, but it is only 6 pm GMT.

:jawdrop::woot_jump::dance_man:

:groovy::yay:

I'm so happy for you :pbjt:

And why missus is this so important to you...huh? :wink2:

I was just about to ask the same!:naughty:

Got plans?:roftl:

To avoid confusion, don't look at the notice on Mikasounds.com, look at ours :thumb_yello:

2-5 p.m. EDT is what our announcement says, as in Eastern Daylight

Time, as we're on Daylight Savings Time currently. And 7-10 p.m. UK

time, just to be clear -- Mana used that instead of BST or GMT to

avoid all the confusion. Mikasounds wasn't quite the stickler for detail...

They need to make a distinction in this case because GMT is only 4 hours more than EDT, when they are talking about a time that is 5 hours more than EDT. If the tickets go on sale at 2 pm in the US then it is 7 pm in the UK, but it is only 6 pm GMT.

:doh:

Yes, silly me... I was thinking about Europe only... in US / Canada / Latin America you don't have 'summer time', do you

:doh:

Yes, silly me... I was thinking about Europe only... in US / Canada / Latin America you don't have 'summer time', do you

Yes we do, my summer time is EDT. The thing is that GMT doesn't change. When it's EST then it is GMT -5, when it is EDT is it GMT -4. That's why you have to speak in terms of Eastern time and British time. Using GMT is too confusing when it's summertime, because it is an hour off of normal.

I think only the British use BST. In ternationally when we refer to timezones we (in any European business including UK partners) ALWAYS use GMT to refer to the time in UK and CET for Central Europe...

Exacatly what I'm trying to say here.

I work with systems that need to be aligned together with a matter of seconds when it comes to connection times or everything goes down and it's a major problem (banks losing millions :naughty:), and for everyone that I deal with (UK and rest of the world) it's essential to distinguish between the timezones properly.

Many people have their own system set to BST or CEST (european clients) during the summer, and if the central system is on GMT and someone has miscalculated their connection time or set it to the wrong timezone we're out by an hour, which is a catastrophe. So I think that you will find that in some sectors the GMT/BST CET/CEST EDT/EST distinction is still quite an important one :roftl:.

Hey - I'm willing to bet that if I wave that extra NYC gig ticket in your face after all your European Mika gigs are done....that maybe... :naughty:

Oh Suzy please don't do that to me :mf_lustslow: you know I'm weak! If even just to see you all again!! But I think that it would be too much cash after my LA decadence :aah: