Queuing for GA gigs - thoughts, feedback, suggestions?

lollipop_monkey

But if we know beforehand that there is going to be a presale here and that you need a credit card to buy the ticket, it will be possible to ask someone who has got a credit card to buy a ticket for you. I'm sure 'old' fans have built a wide network of friendships. :wink2:

That's what I did with the EP for an Italian MFCer, and I only got to know her a few months ago. :biggrin2:

Yes, the previous time it wasn't clear what was going on... So I hope I'll be able to arrange something next time...:thumb_yello:

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About whether presales (or tiered presales) are fair or not...

I mentioned earlier in the thread that if there is any sort of tiered system in the future, it would be based on join date and not post count.

The operative words, there, are "in the future." When we had the presales for this tour - which took place in venues that are absolutely tiny compared to where he'll be playing for his next tour - there was no need for any sort of tiered presale. MFC is still small enough that there were enough tickets in the first few rows to go to any MFCer who wanted them (and obviously had the means/time to purchase a ticket).

So at this point, with MFC as small as it is, there's no need for tiering as a means of allocating ticket purchase opportunities.

If you take issue with MFC being "favoured" over "other" fans in terms of a general presale - well, again, that's how fan clubs work, and with Mika owning MFC (and his people working with the people who run MFC to distribute the occasional perk), Mika Fan Club is the closest thing Mika has to a proper fan club.

If anyone thinks it's unfair for MFC to have access to tickets before Joe Schmo General Public, do let me know. During any future presale, I'd be happy to temporarily suspend for 24 hours the account of anyone who feels, as an MFC member, that he or she is pressured to participate in any "unfair" MFC presale. :thumb_yello:

Maybe I should read it all before posting something, but 28 pages .. not now :teehee: I was just reading the last few posts and saw some things about getting "advantages" and now what Mana says system based on join date (maybe, in the future .. :bleh:). But then I wonder .. where do you draw the line? And does the person registered in April 2007 but (almost) never posting here has more "rights" than the person registered in April 2008 or even 2009 and interacting in the threads and having 10.000 posts or so ..

About the queing itself .. I doubt I'm gonna say anything that hasn't been said already .. I've only been to Brussels and it was great there. But there weren't that much people (in the "early" hours) so it's not that hard then ..

Yes, the previous time it wasn't clear what was going on... So I hope I'll be able to arrange something next time...:thumb_yello:

That's true- it was impossible to make arrangements for this little tour as we didn't know where he'd be playing.

As for the other issue, I still think the fairest thing would be to have a fresh start (I hoped he'd do it with the MS launch to be honest) announced on MFC (first?) and MS

That way all active current, MFCers would be in the first tier. As would former active MFC community builders (alerted by the current older MFCers), members of other fan forums, and people who follow Mika but aren't interested in online chat. It would still exclude people who might have posted once or twice then disappeared.

His following is probably still small enough for this to be sufficiently limiting, we're well spread out accross the world, but it would probably need to be before the next album gets going.

And I think it's appalling that Mana thinks I should be banned from future presale just for saying this.

That's true- it was impossible to make arrangements for this little tour as we didn't know where he'd be playing.

As for the other issue, I still think the fairest thing would be to have a fresh start (I hoped he'd do it with the MS launch to be honest) announced on MFC (first?) and MS

That way all active current, MFCers would be in the first tier. As would former active MFC community builders (alerted by the current older MFCers), members of other fan forums, and people who follow Mika but aren't interested in online chat. It would still exclude people who might have posted once or twice then disappeared.

His following is probably still small enough for this to be sufficiently limiting, we're well spread out accross the world, but it would probably need to be before the next album gets going.

And I think it's appalling that Mana thinks I should be banned from future presale just for saying this.

To be honest, I took that as a bit of a humorous comment myself...Like a joke, and that the "banning" would come requested by the person themselves, like when pinkunicorn asked to be banned because she couldn't stay away from mfc :roftl:

Don't worry about this, I don't recall speaking your mind about potential perks is a reason for a ban yet.

I think that? That's news to me! :teehee:

I never said that. What I said was, it seems there are is a very small number of people who feel that it would be wrong for MFC to receive any sort of presale whatsover. A presale that occurs before tickets go on sale to the general public - via the venues websites and such.

And if someone feels that way, that's pefectly okay, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

And further, if he/she feels that by being an MFC member he/she is somehow obligated to purchase presale tickets (rather than waiting for a general sale), then he or she can ask to be suspended from MFC to prevent feeling "forced" into buying a presale ticket...again, if he or she feels the whole idea of a presale is unfair.

I hope that clears up what I was saying.

But if we know beforehand that there is going to be a presale here and that you need a credit card to buy the ticket, it will be possible to ask someone who has got a credit card to buy a ticket for you. I'm sure 'old' fans have built a wide network of friendships. :wink2:

That's what I did with the EP for an Italian MFCer, and I only got to know her a few months ago. :biggrin2:

Okay, talking as a founding member, who is openly active since day 1, but who doesn't have a credit or debit card, so no way of my own to buy tickets online.

All I have is my friend, who is SO generous to get me tickets online as he has access to a laptop/pc all day.

I had no idea that the presale tickets were going on sale on the day they did, until I was given the heads up about the announcement.

As luck would have it, my friend was at home working that day, so he could be there at midday to get my ticket for me. If he'd been in the office, he may have been in a meeting, therefore not in a position to get me a good ticket (although as it turns out, pretty much all the SW tickets were good, but I didn't know this at the time).

What I'm trying to say is, not all the founding members are in the "perfect" position to get the best tickets, some of us have to rely on other people as well.

I think that? That's news to me! :teehee:

I never said that. What I said was, it seems there are is a very small number of people who feel that it would be wrong for MFC to receive any sort of presale whatsover. A presale that occurs before tickets go on sale to the general public - via the venues websites and such.

And if someone feels that way, that's pefectly okay, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

And further, if he/she feels that by being an MFC member he/she is somehow obligated to purchase presale tickets (rather than waiting for a general sale), then he or she can ask to be suspended from MFC to prevent feeling "forced" into buying a presale ticket...again, if he or she feels the whole idea of a presale is unfair.

I hope that clears up what I was saying.

That's OK- I hadn't picked up that you meant people were free to opt out, but I did know you weren't in favour of sweeping bans.

I didn't realise people were arguing against presale per se (that's a new one on me, but I'm sure the subject will arise again), I thought it was about who got it (it usually is).

What I'm trying to say is, not all the founding members are in the "perfect" position to get the best tickets, some of us have to rely on other people as well.

Yes .. And even if you have your "own" (mums :bleh:) creditcard ..

With the last tour I was working that day, got on the pc around 6 PM, reading it, thinking about it (checking if I had to work and blablabla) and buying a ticket around 7 PM. Turned out I was on the 4th row, while all the other MFCers (that I knew were going) had a front row seat! :shocked: (didn't know at the time that I would probably have the best place of them all though :teehee::roftl:).

So, getting something depends on so many things .. If you don't have anything else to do whole day than to sit behind your pc, having tons of money and having your creditcard next to you .. yes, then problably you have an advantage .. But I don't know any people like that, you? :naughty:

That's OK- I hadn't picked up that you meant people were free to opt out, but I did know you weren't in favour of sweeping bans.

I didn't realise people were arguing against presale per se (that's a new one on me, but I'm sure the subject will arise again), I thought it was about who got it (it usually is).

Cheers. I never meant to imply that I'd start banning people willy-nilly just because someone had a difference of opinion with me.

I might be opinionated, sure, but I like to think I'm not a dictator. :roftl:

Yes .. And even if you have your "own" (mums :bleh:) creditcard ..

With the last tour I was working that day, got on the pc around 6 PM, reading it, thinking about it (checking if I had to work and blablabla) and buying a ticket around 7 PM. Turned out I was on the 4th row, while all the other MFCers (that I knew were going) had a front row seat! :shocked: (didn't know at the time that I would probably have the best place of them all though :teehee::roftl:).

So, getting something depends on so many things .. If you don't have anything else to do whole day than to sit behind your pc, having tons of money and having your creditcard next to you .. yes, then problably you have an advantage .. But I don't know any people like that, you? :naughty:

Not all MFC'ers that you knew that were going. :mf_rosetinted:

I was all the way up on the balcony cause my internet had been down for 2 months and I had no idea anything was about to happen anyway. Luckily I got a text from José, otherwise I'd never even have known about the gig at all...

The balcony seat turned out to be awesome though. :biggrin2:

Glad to see this thread is (mostly) back on topic... I had to read

through a dozen or so pages last night of arguments that were not

relevant to the topic at hand. :blink:

Which is queuing --not who is a better fan.

OK, so my thoughts on the numbered queuing system as experienced

just last week (seems much longer ago already) in NYC...

Overall, I think the ONLY way this works is if we have the support

of Mika's team -- whether it's John or some other person representing

Mika -- and the venue security people. Without their involvement, we

are just a bunch of bossy control freaks with a Sharpie. :naughty:

The system worked fairly well for the first 45 or so people

in the queue -- but they were almost all MFC, so it was easy to

convince them to participate.

After that, it got a little bit dicey. I volunteered to take the list and

stand at the end of the line, because once it got that long people

who came didn't realize that there even *was* a list or a numbering

system that they needed to ask about. Keeping the list at the front of

the line is not a good idea, IMO or in my experience. Someone needs to

be monitoring (and welcoming) newcomers and getting them to buy into

the idea that the numbering system is a good one.

A couple of things made this easy as the day wore on -- 1) pointing out

to people that if they got a number they could leave for a toilet or

snack break and not lose their place in line and 2) Mika's ice cream truck.

Once I told people that all they had to do to get free ice cream was show

the guy the number on their hand, they were sold! :wink2:

For this to work at all in the future, we have to present the idea not

just as an MFC idea, but as a benefit to ALL fans who are waiting. If

we can get John or security to periodically walk down the

line and make it clear that they support this means of organization, I

think it makes a world of difference. It's much more acceptable to

people if they realize it's an official thing -- that time of arrival will

equate to order of entry to the venue. It would have been really helpful

if, for instance, John had come down to where I was standing with #85

or #90 to give his seal of approval. Then it wouldn't have been as

difficult to deal with the folks who were saying, "I'm holding a spot

for my four friends who won't be coming for another hour yet."

I don't know how this type of thing will work with the much larger

venues that we're going to see once Mika starts his next tour, because

we're going to have a lot more people attending -- more than just MFC,

I mean. Non-MFCers may not be as receptive to the idea for a variety

of reasons. But if we have the support of Mika's team and the venue,

then we at least have a chance keeping some order, at least among

the earliest queuers. :thumb_yello:

And you are owed a very big "Thank you". :flowers2: It occurred to me later that distributing numbers at the front of the queue was fairly easy simply because it was MFCers who were accustomed or at least were familiar with this system. But of course, it must have been challenging at the end. I appreciate it you bringing on your charm to make this work.

I must say that StandardToaster (and Mana) were instrumental in this whole process of getting the venue, security and John, to go along with our number system. And sariflor did not let people in the 2nd queue (at the bar) think they could get away with sneaking there way in, out of order. :thumb_yello:

I gigglesnort when I remember the one fellow who wrote the #1 on his hand. :naughty:

And you are owed a very big "Thank you". :flowers2: It occurred to me later that distributing numbers at the front of the queue was fairly easy simply because it was MFCers who were accustomed or at least were familiar with this system. But of course, it must have been challenging at the end. I appreciate it you bringing on your charm to make this work.

I must say that StandardToaster (and Mana) were instrumental in this whole process of getting the venue, security and John, to go along with our number system. And sariflor did not let people in the 2nd queue (at the bar) think they could get away with sneaking there way in, out of order. :thumb_yello:

I gigglesnort when I remember the one fellow who wrote the #1 on his hand. :naughty:

Oh yeah, I've seen that a few times before, at other gigs. How they think that they can get away with it, I have no idea.

The funny thing is that this dude didn't even flinch when I asked him when he had gotten there, in order to be number 1, and he said something like an hour or two ago, and I pointed at Holly and said: "SHE is number 1, and guess when she got here!!! 24 hours ago!" Now piss off you chancer :roftl: (in my thoughts:naughty:)

Oh yeah, I've seen that a few times before, at other gigs. How they think that they can get away with it, I have no idea.

The funny thing is that this dude didn't even flinch when I asked him when he had gotten there, in order to be number 1, and he said something like an hour or two ago, and I pointed at Holly and said: "SHE is number 1, and guess when she got here!!! 24 hours ago!" Now piss off you chancer :roftl: (in my thoughts:naughty:)

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

Wish I'd been there to see that!:naughty:

That's ridiculous, some people are such idiots, seriously:roftl:

Quoting myself:

I couldn’t tell… I guess I think presales for MFCers, for every single MFCer irrelevant their join date, would be desirable. As someone already pointed, there are not 4 hundred MFCers attending gigs usually, so distinctions based on join date may not be necessary. Not to say that not even presales of any kind would be of any use when the gigs are taking place in large GA venues. Then the numbering system is the key…

With “first come first served basis” at least you guarantee (except for ticket touts – I don’t even know what that means but I think I get it) that people who pay attention are there, even if they registered yesterday, whereas someone who registered in Jan 2007, but doesn’t care anymore would miss it.

Join date is a subjective factor.

Then I read this :shocked::

If anyone thinks it's unfair for MFC to have access to tickets before Joe Schmo General Public, do let me know. During any future presale, I'd be happy to temporarily suspend for 24 hours the account of anyone who feels, as an MFC member, that he or she is pressured to participate in any "unfair" MFC presale. :thumb_yello:

No comments :shocked: Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions

I am speechless!

:shocked::shocked:

That's how I am right now :shocked:

Same here :thumb_yello:

Quoting myself:

Then I read this :shocked::

No comments :shocked: Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions

That's how I am right now :shocked:

Same here :thumb_yello:

Nice to see you highlighted this post, and excluded Manas subsequent post with an explanation of what she actually meant.

Would have been nice to have quoted that one too, to actually give a balanced and in context view of her point.

Personally, when I read that, I never actually took it seriously, I just thought Mana was being flippant (no offence Mana,I'm forever doing it, hence why I laughed when I saw it).So when I saw others take it SO seriously, I thought, has everyone had a sense of humour bypass on here!

Really, this whole ticket debate is moot, because Mika/TeamMika, will do whatever they want to do about ticket allocations in the long run. We being the fan club, no matter WHAT date we became official,will get alloctions, if that's what Mika/Team Mika want.

End of story!

Nice to see you highlighted this post, and excluded Manas subsequent post with an explanation of what she actually meant.

Would have been nice to have quoted that one too, to actually give a balanced and in context view of her point.

Personally, when I read that, I never actually took it seriously, I just thought Mana was being flippant (no offence Mana,I'm forever doing it, hence why I laughed when I saw it).So when I saw others take it SO seriously, I thought, has everyone had a sense of humour bypass on here!

Really, this whole ticket debate is moot, because Mika/TeamMika, will do whatever they want to do about ticket allocations in the long run. We being the fan club, no matter WHAT date we became official,will get alloctions, if that's what Mika/Team Mika want.

End of story!

I quoted the comment which was “surprising” to me. Everyone does constantly.

I didn’t quote her second post because honestly, her explanation didn’t sound convincing to me. If anyone’s point was taken out of context, mine certainly was.

It is possible that we have different types of humour.

Are we seriously all flipping over that one little sentence from Mana? Come on guys :boxed: Did everyone just took it serious, missing the complete point? Or is it just me (and Rak1 :bleh:) that I don't see the fuss about it?

I know other websites where you can ask to be banned when you have examens or something else you need to focus on, and I'm pretty sure you can ask that here too. So, when you don't want to get your hands on tickets in presale (because you tink it's unfair to get benefits or whatever), then you can just ask to be banned around the time Mika announces something, so you don't get the temption of still buying them .. That's all I've read she said, and that's all she meant I believe.

Seriously .. she's not gonna ban everyone that doesn't like the presale-idea .. come on .. :roftl:

Are we seriously all flipping over that one little sentence from Mana? Come on guys :boxed: Did everyone just took it serious, missing the complete point? Or is it just me (and Rak1 :bleh:) that I don't see the fuss about it?

I know other websites where you can ask to be banned when you have examens or something else you need to focus on, and I'm pretty sure you can ask that here too. So, when you don't want to get your hands on tickets in presale (because you tink it's unfair to get benefits or whatever), then you can just ask to be banned around the time Mika announces something, so you don't get the temption of still buying them .. That's all I've read she said, and that's all she meant I believe.

Seriously .. she's not gonna ban everyone that doesn't like the presale-idea .. come on .. :roftl:

And Sariflor and me :teehee:

Nice post bienie, I never understood her post as a threat to ban people either:blink: I think she was just trying to make a joke to lighten the tension?