Queuing for GA gigs - thoughts, feedback, suggestions?

lollipop_monkey

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes .. And even if you have your "own" (mums :bleh:) creditcard ..

With the last tour I was working that day, got on the pc around 6 PM, reading it, thinking about it (checking if I had to work and blablabla) and buying a ticket around 7 PM. Turned out I was on the 4th row, while all the other MFCers (that I knew were going) had a front row seat! :shocked: (didn't know at the time that I would probably have the best place of them all though :teehee::roftl:).

So, getting something depends on so many things .. If you don't have anything else to do whole day than to sit behind your pc, having tons of money and having your creditcard next to you .. yes, then problably you have an advantage .. But I don't know any people like that, you? :naughty:

I wish people would read my posts !

I have already advised hardworking MFCers, those who are at a disadvantage, that malingering is the only option. Just the half day. Or the whole day. One day off per ticket sale, what's wrong with that ?

And if you have a conscience, next day work overtime to please your boss, or if you are a doctor, devote to each patient a little more of your time so that your surgery will last much longer but they will go home happier, or if you are a statesman, pospone pushing the button, this our planet can surely do with an extra day without the bomb ?

So simple...

Cheers,

Id3

I wish people would read my posts !

I have already advised hardworking MFCers, those who are at a disadvantage, that malingering is the only option. Just the half day. Or the whole day. One day off per ticket sale, what's wrong with that ?

And if you have a conscience, next day work overtime to please your boss, or if you are a doctor, devote to each patient a little more of your time so that your surgery will last much longer but they will go home happier, or if you are a statesman, pospone pushing the button, this our planet can surely do with an extra day without the bomb ?

So simple...

Cheers,

Id3

Uh ... huh? :blink:

I've read this one, but I don't understand a thing of it. Starting with what's the point quoting me and ending with what you're actually saying ...

As other people have said, (though arguing in the opposite direction) there are a lot of extreme comments made in these discussions and, unfortunately, people are used to hearing strong expressions of outrage whenever they suggest that long time membership of the MFC should not be the only criterion for deciding who gets any particular goody. Combining this with the difficulty of picking up the "tone" of a printed post, I'm not surprised at people's reaction.

Also, the people who are quick to point out that Mana was obviously not to be taken literally, do not seem to be extending the assumption to anybody else

I've read this one, but I don't understand a thing of it. Starting with what's the point quoting me and ending with what you're actually saying ...

Don't worry dear, it's not your fault! He doesn't understand either! :naughty:

Don't you see the guy is confused? He needs to get some rest: he's been using the :huglove: and :wub2: smilies! How weird is that? :wink2:

As other people have said, (though arguing in the opposite direction) there are a lot of extreme comments made in these discussions and, unfortunately, people are used to hearing strong expressions of outrage whenever they suggest that long time membership of the MFC should not be the only criterion for deciding who gets any particular goody. Combining this with the difficulty of picking up the "tone" of a printed post, I'm not surprised at people's reaction.

Also, the people who are quick to point out that Mana was obviously not to be taken literally, do not seem to be extending the assumption to anybody else

I do agree with what you say about the written tone, as that is always the case on a forum, where people aren't seeing eachother's faces. Hence why the "second post" where one clarifies (or reiterates) their initial post is to me what needs to be taken into account to draw a conclusion.

In Mana's case, she explained what she meant.

Edited by sariflor

I think the assumption that Mana is not to be taken literally goes hand in hand with the assumption that she has not undergone a personality transplant recently. It would be totally out of character for her to go around threatening people like that.

I can see based on the reaction how there could be misunderstandings. But I can also see why there would be an assumption that she was joking that may or may not be extended to others. Just my personal opinion.

Sorry, I probably quoted the wrong post. Still, I was more or less advising people -not only you- to report sick and go to a gig...

Next time I'll try not to post under the influence :blush-anim-cl: .

Cheers,

Id3

To be honest, I took that as a bit of a humorous comment myself...Like a joke, and that the "banning" would come requested by the person themselves, like when pinkunicorn asked to be banned because she couldn't stay away from mfc :roftl:

Personally, when I read that, I never actually took it seriously, I just thought Mana was being flippant (no offence Mana,I'm forever doing it, hence why I laughed when I saw it).So when I saw others take it SO seriously, I thought, has everyone had a sense of humour bypass on here!

It was a joke... as usual when some of you says something hard. It sounds familiar to me :mf_rosetinted:

If anyone thinks it's unfair for MFC to have access to tickets before Joe Schmo General Public, do let me know. During any future presale, I'd be happy to temporarily suspend for 24 hours the account of anyone who feels, as an MFC member, that he or she is pressured to participate in any "unfair" MFC presale. :thumb_yello:

I think that? That's news to me! :teehee:

I never said that. What I said was, it seems there are is a very small number of people who feel that it would be wrong for MFC to receive any sort of presale whatsover. A presale that occurs before tickets go on sale to the general public - via the venues websites and such.

And if someone feels that way, that's pefectly okay, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

And further, if he/she feels that by being an MFC member he/she is somehow obligated to purchase presale tickets (rather than waiting for a general sale), then he or she can ask to be suspended from MFC to prevent feeling "forced" into buying a presale ticket...again, if he or she feels the whole idea of a presale is unfair.

I hope that clears up what I was saying.

Yes, and it clears up that it wasn't a joke since you were willing to temporarily suspend the account as you've explained (I must believe you meant by request).

What's it to be, then?

i have a lot of experience with queuing for GA gigs, as in germany, unlike in the uk, you always have GA also for bigger shows.

first of all, i never enjoyed queuing as much as i did in berlin and milan on this tour. i was only no. 33 in berlin, so i wasn't in the crowd directly at the entrance like sariflor and didn't get pushed. and in milan i was absolutely amazed how calm the sometimes quite crazy italian fans could be. last time i've seen mika in italy (bologna 2007) was quite different, a lot of pushing!

actually, when queuing goes like it did in berlin and milan, i really enjoy it, cause it means spending the day with nice people, and you can walk around in front of the venue all the time, and for lunch, toilet etc. when it's needed. compared to standing/sitting at the same place for most of the day, which can get a bit boring.

queuing in brixton was ok too - a lot better with the numbers, than without them, although not everyone kept to it.

the mika gigs on the last germany tour were also fine, you only had to be there at about 4 pm (in berlin even 6 pm), to be one of the first few in the queue. but sadly, it never goes without pushing at german concerts. :sad:

it was mentioned in this thread, that in NY, more ppl started jumping the queue when they saw others doing it. i must admit i'd do it too. i'd never be the one to start jumping the queue or pushing, but i won't stand back and let those ppl take my place if they start with it. in berlin ppl tried to jump the queue, but we knew the numbers would be checked at the entrance, so i was able to stay calm and trust in the fact that my number would get me the place i deserved. but if the numbers aren't checked at the entrance, i'd start pushing in front of the people who pushed in front of me, and if everyone does that, of course the chaos is perfect. :naughty:

the problem with bigger gigs is that there's more than one entrance. they can't just have one entrance for all the people, cause it would take ages to let them through. and if they opened one entrance before the others for those with numbers 1-100 or something like that, it would also cause a chaos, cause everyone would start pushing towards that entrance. the only solution i can think of for this is, to have numbers 1a, 1b, 1c etc. for the different entrances, but not sure if that would work. and then number 3b might get in a lot later than number 3a, if number 1b had a huge bag that security would take a long time to search. plus, at some venues (like the olympiahalle in munich) there are different entrances at both sides of the venue, so those who queue at entrance east don't know what those at entrance west are doing. in short, i'm sure the numbers system will never work that well for big venues like it did for the acoustic tour.

so do i prefer seated venues? no, as when presale starts, you have to be really lucky to get a good ticket, before the ticket website crashes. :rolls_eyes: i don't like the pushing, but i'm kinda used to it from all the boyband concerts i've been to in my life, i can handle it. i've once been in a really life-threatening situation, but usually this is not the case. mika concerts are really calm, compared to nkotb, bsb or take that in the 90s! :naughty: but of course i understand that smaller, more petite or just more sensitive people than i am will see that in a different way. so maybe, as most of us are travelling around anyway, the ideal solution would be a mix of seated and GA admission venues, so people can choose what they like most. maybe even both kinds of venues at the same city, like in london. they always do that for the nokia night of the proms in munich - 2 of the 4-6 gigs are general admission in the arena, the others are completely seated.

Oh yeah, I've seen that a few times before, at other gigs. How they think that they can get away with it, I have no idea.

The funny thing is that this dude didn't even flinch when I asked him when he had gotten there, in order to be number 1, and he said something like an hour or two ago, and I pointed at Holly and said: "SHE is number 1, and guess when she got here!!! 24 hours ago!" Now piss off you chancer :roftl: (in my thoughts:naughty:)

THAT is SO FUNNY!!!!!

I was SO out-of-it I didn't even KNOW!

Again I just want to say a BIG T H A N K you to

Mana - Andrew - Suzy and dcdeb for all you did to make this work in NYC!!! We appreciate you guys SO much! And THANKS to ALL the MFCers in the Q for holding it all together!

AS M U C H as I love GA shows (for obvious reasons) - I have never been anywhere but front row . . still I think I would like to experience a seated Mika show EVEN though I know I would be LUCKY to get within the first 5 rows . . . it has to be better then the HELL of queueing ALL day! It just has to! :dunno:

i have a lot of experience with queuing for GA gigs, as in germany, unlike in the uk, you always have GA also for bigger shows.

first of all, i never enjoyed queuing as much as i did in berlin and milan on this tour. i was only no. 33 in berlin, so i wasn't in the crowd directly at the entrance like sariflor and didn't get pushed. and in milan i was absolutely amazed how calm the sometimes quite crazy italian fans could be. last time i've seen mika in italy (bologna 2007) was quite different, a lot of pushing!

actually, when queuing goes like it did in berlin and milan, i really enjoy it, cause it means spending the day with nice people, and you can walk around in front of the venue all the time, and for lunch, toilet etc. when it's needed. compared to standing/sitting at the same place for most of the day, which can get a bit boring.

queuing in brixton was ok too - a lot better with the numbers, than without them, although not everyone kept to it.

the mika gigs on the last germany tour were also fine, you only had to be there at about 4 pm (in berlin even 6 pm), to be one of the first few in the queue. but sadly, it never goes without pushing at german concerts. :sad:

it was mentioned in this thread, that in NY, more ppl started jumping the queue when they saw others doing it. i must admit i'd do it too. i'd never be the one to start jumping the queue or pushing, but i won't stand back and let those ppl take my place if they start with it. in berlin ppl tried to jump the queue, but we knew the numbers would be checked at the entrance, so i was able to stay calm and trust in the fact that my number would get me the place i deserved. but if the numbers aren't checked at the entrance, i'd start pushing in front of the people who pushed in front of me, and if everyone does that, of course the chaos is perfect. :naughty:

the problem with bigger gigs is that there's more than one entrance. they can't just have one entrance for all the people, cause it would take ages to let them through. and if they opened one entrance before the others for those with numbers 1-100 or something like that, it would also cause a chaos, cause everyone would start pushing towards that entrance. the only solution i can think of for this is, to have numbers 1a, 1b, 1c etc. for the different entrances, but not sure if that would work. and then number 3b might get in a lot later than number 3a, if number 1b had a huge bag that security would take a long time to search. plus, at some venues (like the olympiahalle in munich) there are different entrances at both sides of the venue, so those who queue at entrance east don't know what those at entrance west are doing. in short, i'm sure the numbers system will never work that well for big venues like it did for the acoustic tour.

so do i prefer seated venues? no, as when presale starts, you have to be really lucky to get a good ticket, before the ticket website crashes. :rolls_eyes: i don't like the pushing, but i'm kinda used to it from all the boyband concerts i've been to in my life, i can handle it. i've once been in a really life-threatening situation, but usually this is not the case. mika concerts are really calm, compared to nkotb, bsb or take that in the 90s! :naughty: but of course i understand that smaller, more petite or just more sensitive people than i am will see that in a different way. so maybe, as most of us are travelling around anyway, the ideal solution would be a mix of seated and GA admission venues, so people can choose what they like most. maybe even both kinds of venues at the same city, like in london. they always do that for the nokia night of the proms in munich - 2 of the 4-6 gigs are general admission in the arena, the others are completely seated.

Agree with you on the fact that in a large venue with GA, it's a free for all and there is no way that any system would work....

I'd also like it if he did seated/standing shows in the way that you describe; That way, there's something for everyone.

Not everyone can spend hours queeuing standing, or can actually run in fighting other people off, and it's a shame if EVERYTHING is a standing GA show, that these people never get to the front.

In my opinion, a mix of venue and show types is the best.

THAT is SO FUNNY!!!!!

I was SO out-of-it I didn't even KNOW!

Again I just want to say a BIG T H A N K you to

Mana - Andrew - Suzy and dcdeb for all you did to make this work in NYC!!! We appreciate you guys SO much! And THANKS to ALL the MFCers in the Q for holding it all together!

AS M U C H as I love GA shows (for obvious reasons) - I have never been anywhere but front row . . still I think I would like to experience a seated Mika show EVEN though I know I would be LUCKY to get within the first 5 rows . . . it has to be better then the HELL of queueing ALL day! It just has to! :dunno:

Oh, for sure it is :roftl:

Hm. I must say I have always been opposed against the whole day queueing idea. Usually the situation doesn't change much from 11 am to 2 pm to 4 pm. I think the number of people queueing doesn't change much within that period of time. If there are 40 people queueing at 11 you can be positive that there are not a lot more to be added until the first early 'normal' gig goers arrive at 4 or 5 p.m.. It sort of IS a comptetition between MFCers mostly (given the numbers system will become common practice and work out), even though I don't really perceive it like that.

Berlin was the first gig for me I started queueing early-ish for. And I have to admit that I really enjoyed it just to hang around with all the people I rarely get to see in RL. I loved it. I would do it again any day of the week, given the weather is nice and won't have to risk a sunstroke or sit in a puddle all day long.

But then I'm torn just a little bit. Of course I like the thought of a potential front spot. But it is not my #1 priority to end up front row center, especially not with the stage invasions becoming an inherent part of each Mika show. If it's a question of either jumping up on stage or getting run over by people who can't imagine anything better but ended up behind me, I'd happily stay five rows back. But well, you don't know for sure what will happen, right?

About the numbers system being fair or not, I think it is, given that everyone willing to queue from a crazy hour is aware of the system and included, MFC or not.

I would like to point out that connoisseurs suggest staying a little bit farther away from the stage in order to fully appreciate the music . :lol3:

So be happy! Nobody will ever have to queue all day long next to a fussy loner like me. :roftl:

Amen. You can now close the thread. :mf_popeanim:

If it's a question of either jumping up on stage or getting run over by people who can't imagine anything better but ended up behind me, I'd happily stay five rows back. But well, you don't know for sure what will happen, right?

Well you do know for sure a stage invasion is not going to happen 15 minutes into the show. Just leave your front row spot before the encore and move back.

I would like to point out that connoisseurs suggest staying a little bit farther away from the stage in order to fully appreciate the music . :lol3:

I think it really depends on the venue.

In Sadlers Wells I was perfectly happy with my 4th row seat as I would have had to twist my neck to be able to see him perfectly from the front row.

But in a smaller venue, like Berlin, for example, it was absolutely worth queueing for half a day to get front/second row seats as it really felt like we were part of the whole performance, really close to and singing together with him without having had to invade his private space.

I have no black or white opinion on this :dunno:

this is a big debate which has extended in other questions : presale systems etc...

Well, honestly, I didn't read all the posts.

But I have some opinions to express about these subjects and before starting, sorry for my english !!

Well, for GA, I think numbers are the best system, but like DcDeb said, it has to be more "official". We made that system at the PDP, but not at the very beginning. Because we arrived very early and we knew all the people wo were waiting with us. But after that, the security guys just asked people to move at about 12H and it was a real chaos :shocked: Nobody respected the queue.... the security guys were very nice and told our group was there since the very beginning of the morning (or late in the night, depends !!! ) and we could go in front of the bareers. After that, we put numbers, but it was too late. But it works because people who weren't from the french forum or from the MFC were agreed with that system.

But for the gig in Les Francofolies de La Rochelle, we made the numbers since the very beginning and it seemed to work, but when whe wanted to make the queue in order during the afternoon, some girls didn't wanted to move and didn't recognize this system and said we left so we lost our post. Some of us couldn't manage to be in the first rows because of that....

Well, it'd be easier to make this more "oficial".

For the presale system. Of course I think it's great to have a presale for fans but what bothers me is that all the fans aren't in the MFc. Of course, you're official now, but it wasn't like that at the very beginning, the MFC was a fan site like others, excpet it was the biggest because it was international...

So many forums, like ours in France, were built at the same time, and the communauty of fans is very important. What I want to say is that I joined the french forum in 2007, quite early. But I joined the MFC only in 2008 when I understood it was "official". So I won't have perks because I didn't join MFC early enough... and on this point I think it's not very fair.

Because presale with join date is quite akward for me. SOmeone who joined early in 2007 but who doesn't take part to the life of the MFC could have a better spot that someone who joined later but very active ?

it's not easy... Of course I recognize old fans, but there souldn't have a notion of "good" or "better" fans because someone joined earlier.

Back on the french case, I think, especially for the french gigs, we should have the same perks because we were exactly like the MFC at the beginning : a fan website who built a huge community, because we are a big community of fans in France, we travel, we follow him, exactly like the oldest mfcers... When MFC became official, it was too late for some of us who join, but not early enough to be in this hypothetical first circle presales...

this is my opinion on this debate :wink2:

this is a big debate which has extended in other questions : presale systems etc...

you are right... This thread deals with different topics and it seems some of us simply prefer just to state their opinion on certain topics instead of responding to other people's suggestions or simply hear what they want to hear. Therefore, this thread is going round in circles... :cool:

I even find it entertaining sometimes:biggrin2:- a great insight into people's personalities...:naughty:

But it really is difficult to discuss several topics at the same time

Back on the french case, I think, especially for the french gigs, we should have the same perks because we were exactly like the MFC at the beginning : a fan website who built a huge community, because we are a big community of fans in France, we travel, we follow him, exactly like the oldest mfcers... When MFC became official, it was too late for some of us who join, but not early enough to be in this hypothetical first circle presales...

this is my opinion on this debate :wink2:

Thank you for sharing your view with us. When I was posting some of my suggestions here I did not even consider other communities might be almost as big as the MFC or at least have similar history...

I think I am completely stuck with my views on either pre-sales tickets or queueing. All I know is that I would like to attend some gigs in the next tour and want to have a great time without annoying others.

:kachinga:

Edited by suzie

I dislike the whole putting numbers on hand thing , it really freaks me out ...

Ok for the last gigs with a large say 30% of people there MFCers and small venues then fine :thumb_yello: .. but ...

Bigger venues .. we have 13,000 members what will he do next ? ... venues of say 10,000 people? how many people will know of this system ? what if someone walks by (non MFCer) and doesnt get a number , who will actually manage it gig by gig and make sure it happens ...

Serious good luck if it can be done , Im just stating I reallyyy dont like it

<doesnt mean Im right though> :wink2: