Queuing for GA gigs - thoughts, feedback, suggestions?

lollipop_monkey

I'm not worried about not being among the 'happy few'. Well, you should all know I would be too shy for the front row anyway... :blush-anim-cl::naughty:

I'm thinking about other fan sites for example. Some people may not feel at ease in a forum where the main language is English. I've come across people (mainly through Myspace) belonging to the Italian forums who told me that the language on MFC was a barrier to them.

I wouldn't like to be considered member of a fan site that has got "superpowers" and a posh fan...

That is a whole different issue, which these fans need to be getting real about. I don't mean to sound rude, or insensitive, but MFC is THE official fanclub, and there is no reason why they can't come here and have their Italian thread or whatever other language they speak. Hey, they should even work on their English, as this would be very beneficial for them in RL ,and also in order to understand Mika better when he speaks in interviews, which would no doubt bring them a lot of pleasure.

This is just no reason to stay away, and no other artists have different fanclubs in different languages anyway, do they? It's always in the universal language, which is now English. I don't see why people have to make such a big deal of the language thing. It's the same everywhere else.

If you are a U2 fan and want perks, you sign up for their site, which is all in English.

It all boils down to whether one has the inclination and dedication to participate in THE fanclub, or whether they prefer to sit in their satellite sites moaning about it. It's obviously their choice, but nobody can then complain about things when they don't go according to how they would like them to be.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not worried about not being among the 'happy few'. Well, you should all know I would be too shy for the front row anyway... :blush-anim-cl::naughty:

I'm thinking about other fan sites for example. Some people may not feel at ease in a forum where the main language is English. I've come across people (mainly through Myspace) belonging to the Italian forums who told me that the language on MFC was a barrier to them.

I wouldn't like to be considered member of a fan site that has got "superpowers" and a posh fan...

But the thing is, English is an universal language and having English as the standard language here makes it possible for fans globally to access the MFC. The fact that language is a barrier is ofcourse an issue, but even those who are not fantastic at English, for example Allegra, manage to come on here and blend into the community. The thing is, when perks are given out, it will always be given out to the place where most fans are active and were most fans can be reached. This happens to be the MFC. It's impossible to also give perks to the Italian, French, Dutch, Polish etc. etc. fanclubs seperately. MFC is chosen because it's accessible for everyone and whether or not people try to face the language barrier is their own choice. English is not my mothertongue and when I came on here I was not very good either. But the thing about coming on here everyday and reading many posts, interacting with other fans, you learn from it. And it's not about MFC having 'superpowers' because we don't. The community is the same, there are just more advantages and those are accessible for everyone if they want to overcome things like language barriers.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. Posting on MFC can't be what makes the difference between a 'real' fan and a non-fan/not fan enough. I don't think it would be fair. Posting also depends on people's personality. I have been an almost silent user for at least 6 months, before I started to post regularly.

:bow::bow:

So, if your priority is NOT Mika, then the best tickets should go to people whose priority IS Mika, it's as simple as that.

And, at this stage, it's so clear that even Mika has made it evident a few times that he wants his older fans to get good perks, that nobody can even dispute that this is what he'd want anyway. He wants to reward his most loyal fans, who have been following him for years now, and investing so much time/passion/money in his career, helping him get where he is.

I'm sure there are thousands of fans out there whose priority IS Mika, but not MFC necessarily. Different things.

True, but as we said, the register date should also be a strong factor in this all. Plus I think that those who can get tickets first must get a limit as to how many tickets they can order. For example 2 a person.

Don't think so. Many true fans are not even registered here, or have done it recently for different reasons.

And when this forum was created, no one would have suspected it would become "official". It was just a forum, like many others.

:thumb_yello:

By the way, in case someone replies to me, I'm not ignoring them, I just have to go NOW for the rest of the weekend and will be offline :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by LeiRe

But the thing is, English is an universal language and having English as the standard language here makes it possible for fans globally to access the MFC. The fact that language is a barrier is ofcourse an issue, but even those who are not fantastic at English, for example Allegra, manage to come on here and blend into the community. The thing is, when perks are given out, it will always be given out to the place where most fans are active and were most fans can be reached. This happens to be the MFC. It's impossible to also give perks to the Italian, French, Dutch, Polish etc. etc. fanclubs seperately. MFC is chosen because it's accessible for everyone and whether or not people try to face the language barrier is their own choice. English is not my mothertongue and when I came on here I was not very good either. But the thing about coming on here everyday and reading many posts, interacting with other fans, you learn from it. And it's not about MFC having 'superpowers' because we don't. The community is the same, there are just more advantages and those are accessible for everyone if they want to overcome things like language barriers.

So true!:thumb_yello:

Sorry if I'm being stupid again, but what does "perk" mean exactly?

It's from perquisite= bonus, extra income!:wink2:

That is a whole different issue, which these fans need to be getting real about. I don't mean to sound rude, or insensitive, but MFC is THE official fanclub, and there is no reason why they can't come here and have their Italian thread or whatever other language they speak. Hey, they should even work on their English, as this would be very beneficial for them in RL ,and also in order to understand Mika better when he speaks in interviews, which would no doubt bring them a lot of pleasure.

This is just no reason to stay away, and no other artists have different fanclubs in different languages anyway, do they? It's always in the universal language, which is now English. I don't see why people have to make such a big deal of the language thing. It's the same everywhere else.

If you are a U2 fan and want perks, you sign up for their site, which is all in English.

It all boils down to whether one has the inclination and dedication to participate in THE fanclub, or whether they prefer to sit in their satellite sites moaning about it. It's obviously their choice, but nobody can then complain about things when they don't go according to how they would like them to be.

Italian people...English...learning...pleasure :blink:

:floor: I'm an English teacher: really guys, that's impossible! :roftl:

Allegra is smart and has studied a lot. She's not the most suitable example here I think. Other Italian fans have got problems in understanding things, especially procedures.

All the other nationalities are different! :biggrin2:

Sorry if I'm being stupid again, but what does "perk" mean exactly?

Sounds like jerk, actually! :roftl:

Allegra is smart and has studied a lot. She's not the most suitable example here I think. Other Italian fans have got problems in understanding things, especially procedures.

Sounds like jerk, actually! :roftl:

I have to admit that I also thought about that mwa ha.

As for the language issue, I'm really happy to have registered on the MFC because I think I've improved my English here.

However, I understand that it can be a barrier for a lot of people. But what other language could we use for an official and international fanclub?

I have to admit that I also thought about that mwa ha.

As for the language issue, I'm really happy to have registered on the MFC because I think I've improved my English here.

However, I understand that it can be a barrier for a lot of people. But what other language could we use for an official and international fanclub?

How about Arabic? :mf_rosetinted:

Everyone can learn, it's just a matter of investing:mf_rosetinted:

Frankly, I assume they do not want to step out of their comfort zone? Well take the Frenchies on here then. They do really well even though sometimes it's hard to understand. It's not impossible. It's just a matter of wanting it yes or no.

I'm sure there are thousands of fans out there whose priority IS Mika, but not MFC necessarily. Different things.

Don't think so. Many true fans are not even registered here, or have done it recently for different reasons.

And when this forum was created, no one would have suspected it would become "official". It was just a forum, like many others.

Not really, no. This is Mika's OFFICIAL Fanclub, which he favours and promotes as such, and that means that it is pretty much the same thing.

If you want to be at the core of all things Mika related, then this is the place to be.

That's just how it is.

If a "true" fan is not registered and active here, IMO they can't be much of a very involved or interested fan, and I would certainly encourage them to sign up.

Being part of the fanclub experience means meeting all the other members, and being part of a community that supports Mika, and that he himself loves.

If that was not enough reason. he's now made it very clear that we are important to him and that he's working with us, so I think that one would need to be hiding their head in the sand not to see this.

Also about MFC becoming official: it's been official for a long time now, so people have had the chance to be a part of it.

Plus, it's not really a matter of signing up because you think that you'll get things out of it, right?

It's meant to be done for the common love for Mika, and for sharing this with other fans.

Not really, no. This is Mika's OFFICIAL Fanclub, which he favours and promotes as such, and that means that it is pretty much the same thing.

If you want to be at the core of all things Mika related, then this is the place to be.

That's just how it is.

If a "true" fan is not registered and active here, IMO they can't be much of a very involved or interested fan, and I would certainly encourage them to sign up.

Being part of the fanclub experience means meeting all the other members, and being part of a community that supports Mika, and that he himself loves.

If that was not enough reason. he's now made it very clear that we are important to him and that he's working with us, so I think that one would need to be hiding their head in the sand not to see this.

Also about MFC becoming official: it's been official for a long time now, so people have had the chance to be a part of it.

Plus, it's not really a matter of signing up because you think that you'll get things out of it, right?

It's meant to be done for the common love for Mika, and for sharing this with other fans.

Hmm..I don't think we've ever been so much on the same page as now:roftl:

Everyone can learn, it's just a matter of investing:mf_rosetinted:

Frankly, I assume they do not want to step out of their comfort zone? Well take the Frenchies on here then. They do really well even though sometimes it's hard to understand. It's not impossible. It's just a matter of wanting it yes or no.

Exactly. And also agree with the comment about Allegra. It all depends on one's interest and effort.

Two things.

1. Regarding the language issue... We have representatives of most countries who are willing and able to help answer any questions non-English speakers have.

There are also a lot of language threads where people can talk in their mother tongue.

Whether you only post in those threads or also in the other, English threads, doesn't matter. If you're a member you're a member.

I can understand that it might be a bit intimidating at first when you don't speak English but on the other hand.. I know there's a lot of other Mika forums out there in different languages.. Some of the members on there also post on MFC so I'm kinda hoping they will tell people that we are a friendly bunch and they shouldn't feel threatened to join.

2. Queuing. I personally think the numbering system is most fair assuming people do stick around all day and don't get there at 8 am and then go off sightseeing all day.

There's not one system that will please all because face it, most people want to be in the front row and there's only room for a select few.

If that means having to queue early, all day long, to get a spot at the front then that's how it is.

Everyone that knows me knows I hate queuing myself and therefore don't do it but I don't care about being front row so maybe it's easier for me.

Back in the day though, I would queue for other bands. I hated it but I would do it to get front row. It's all about making choices.

And we didn't have a numbering system then!

Arguments like "ah but not all people can take all day off at work to queue etc" don't really do it for me. If that's the case then tough luck. This might sound harsh but it's just how it is. We can't ever satisfy every single fan so it's about deciding what will make the least fans unhappy and I think we can do that by using the numbering system.

Two things.

1. Regarding the language issue... We have representatives of most countries who are willing and able to help answer any questions non-English speakers have.

There are also a lot of language threads where people can talk in their mother tongue.

Whether you only post in those threads or also in the other, English threads, doesn't matter. If you're a member you're a member.

I can understand that it might be a bit intimidating at first when you don't speak English but on the other hand.. I know there's a lot of other Mika forums out there in different languages.. Some of the members on there also post on MFC so I'm kinda hoping they will tell people that we are a friendly bunch and they shouldn't feel threatened to join.

2. Queuing. I personally think the numbering system is most fair assuming people do stick around all day and don't get there at 8 am and then go off sightseeing all day.

There's not one system that will please all because face it, most people want to be in the front row and there's only room for a select few.

If that means having to queue early, all day long, to get a spot at the front then that's how it is.

Everyone that knows me knows I hate queuing myself and therefore don't do it but I don't care about being front row so maybe it's easier for me.

Back in the day though, I would queue for other bands. I hated it but I would do it to get front row. It's all about making choices.

And we didn't have a numbering system then!

Arguments like "ah but not all people can take all day off at work to queue etc" don't really do it for me. If that's the case then tough luck. This might sound harsh but it's just how it is. We can't ever satisfy every single fan so it's about deciding what will make the least fans unhappy and I think we can do that by using the numbering system.

Diana has spoken. Amen. :mf_rosetinted:

We all know you're the only true fan on this board. :mf_rosetinted:

I'd never have the pretention to call myself that, no. This whole "MFCers" are better fans that others mentality is really working on my nerves now. And as a long-term MFCer, I feel entitled to say it. I've been following some bands and artists for years without joining any online forum or fanclub, and if one of their "true fans" dared saying they have more "rights" than me because they joined a forum, I'd consider it stupid. Enough said.

/rant over

I'd never have the pretention to call myself that, no. This whole "MFCers" are better fans that others mentality is really working on my nerves now. And as a long-term MFCer, I feel entitled to say it. I've been following some bands and artists for years without joining any online forum or fanclub, and if one of their "true fans" dared saying they have more "rights" than me because they joined a forum, I'd consider it stupid. Enough said.

/rant over

You know I agree with that.