Queuing for GA gigs - thoughts, feedback, suggestions?

lollipop_monkey

At least you get my point Alan:naughty:

i believe she has to LL in Allan, so technically, anyone who spells it with 1 L would be ahead of her. :wink2::teehee:

About language. Actually, I have so many things to say, but my poor English is a huge barrier. I'm used to express myself quite well in my own language. It's a little bit embarrassing to write in bad English and sometimes (often) sound stupid :teehee: In my country most people of my age speak excellent English, I guess that makes me think about it so much. And that's why it took me over a year after I signed up here to actually post and chat. I came here regularly and read threads about gigs and his music, but didn't say anything myself. I saw my two first Mika gigs last year without meeting other fans, and I realized after this tour what a huge difference it makes. I loved meeting other MFCers while queueing and after gigs, and now the whole forum is a big part of my life.

My point is that I understand so well if someone doesn't post because they feel uncomfortable to write in English. At a same time I hope I would have done it earlier, because it's so much more fun that way :thumb_yello: Maybe I cannot say everything I want, but I can chat and get to know people. People who perfectly understand why I want to travel another countries to see him singing. Well, I wouldn't travel for anyone else :wub2:

tiibet, i didn't realise you were not english until recently, you really should post more :naughty:

i also did not post for a long time & lurked for quite a few months. then i decided to become a member so i could see what was in the "members only" section. the rest is history. my problem was not a language issue, although i am french, it was more of "a person my age does not belong in a fanclub and all these people are probably teenagers" i was soooooooo wrong :roftl:

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe she has to LL in Allan, so technically, anyone who spells it with 1 L would be ahead of her. :wink2::teehee:

tiibet, i didn't realise you were not english until recently, you really should post more :naughty:

i also did not post for a long time & lurked for quite a few months. then i decided to become a member so i could see what was in the "members only" section. the rest is history. my problem was not a language issue, although i am french, it was more of "a person my age does not belong in a fanclub and all these people are probably teenagers" i was soooooooo wrong :roftl:

I only clicked this link cos' I wanted to look at the Gallery :aah:

I don't know what happened :lmfao:

At least you get my point Alan:naughty:

About language. Actually, I have so many things to say, but my poor English is a huge barrier. I'm used to express myself quite well in my own language. It's a little bit embarrassing to write in bad English and sometimes (often) sound stupid :teehee: In my country most people of my age speak excellent English, I guess that makes me think about it so much. And that's why it took me over a year after I signed up here to actually post and chat. I came here regularly and read threads about gigs and his music, but didn't say anything myself. I saw my two first Mika gigs last year without meeting other fans, and I realized after this tour what a huge difference it makes. I loved meeting other MFCers while queueing and after gigs, and now the whole forum is a big part of my life.

My point is that I understand so well if someone doesn't post because they feel uncomfortable to write in English. At a same time I hope I would have done it earlier, because it's so much more fun that way :thumb_yello: Maybe I cannot say everything I want, but I can chat and get to know people. People who perfectly understand why I want to travel another countries to see him singing. Well, I wouldn't travel for anyone else :wub2:

i also want to add that i was also lurking on the french forum & became a member at the same time, but this one was more what i was looking for in terms of mika knowledge and general way people interacted. it was more my style. :wub2:

Nobody's denying that.. or 'sniffing' at it as far as I can tell.

This is not about the MFC's right to be what it is, it's just that sometimes I get the impression some members here have a superiority complex.

That is my personal impression, people are free to disagree and tell me I'm wrong, I'm only human.

Sometimes a superiority complex can be confused with the knowledge that comes with knowing a subject inside out. I would wholeheartedly agree with Sariflor and others who have commented that MFCers are welcoming to newcomers...both on here and in RL. Not everyone has the confidence to speak up to unknown people but it has been my experience over the last three weeks that lots of non MFCers were keen to learn about the forum.

Same here! :roftl:. How wrong we were indeed :thumb_yello:

Sometimes a superiority complex can be confused with the knowledge that comes with knowing a subject inside out. I would wholeheartedly agree with Sariflor and others who have commented that MFCers are welcoming to newcomers...both on here and in RL. Not everyone has the confidence to speak up to unknown people but it has been my experience over the last three weeks that lots of non MFCers were keen to learn about the forum.

I totally agree, Kath. I truly and honestly do not believe for a second that we have any sort of superiority complex here. That would just be stupid. Why would we feel superior exactly? It makes no sense :wink2:.

I'm an oldling too :teehee: But for some reason I have always felt I'm much younger than my years :shocked:

:roftl:

In my previous post I clearly stated that I feel we are 'a friendly bunch' so I don't know why one would think I felt any other way.

Also, just because someone might have a superiority complex doesn't necessarily also have to mean they're unfriendly to others.

One can feel better than others without getting nasty about it. :teehee:

But maybe I should refrain from explaining myself further, because I have the feeling it gets twisted into something I didn't say, or didn't mean at least..

In my previous post I clearly stated that I feel we are 'a friendly bunch' so I don't know why one would think I felt any other way.

Also, just because someone might have a superiority complex doesn't necessarily also have to mean they're unfriendly to others.

One can feel better than others without getting nasty about it. :teehee:

But maybe I should refrain from explaining myself further, because I have the feeling it gets twisted into something I didn't say, or didn't mean at least..

Weren't you watching Placebo?:blink:

Weren't you watching Placebo?:blink:

Stupid website made a mistake and didn't take the fact that Greece is one hour ahead into consideration when posting when the gig would be streamed.

So it isn't on till 23.00. My patience is being tested!

Stupid website made a mistake and didn't take the fact that Greece is one hour ahead into consideration when posting when the gig would be streamed.

What Placebo stream ... I love Placebo :wub2:

Sue them:mf_rosetinted:

my 2 cents on several subjects:

people who don't understand/speak/write english may feel unconfortable in the MFC forums and i know many italians keep off the mfc for this. one thread in italian is not enough to feel part of the whole fanclub, so they stick to the local fanclubs. in italy we have mikamusic.it which is strictly connected to Universal. they get perks through universal when mika performs in italy, and through the local radios. they got more perks than me, being an mfcer!:naughty:

some of them are registered here of course, anyone feels that this is the place to be, but i can understand their position if they don't post or are not active. and they are not less fans for this.

but hey! mika's "english", and english is his language.

eros ramazzotti fanclub is in italian!:naughty:

ah

and allegra CAN speak english :sneaky2:

:naughty:

a fan is a fan, as someone once told us.

but mika likes (so it seems) to be surrounded by familiar faces, family, staff, friends...and now fans.

what's wrong with it? he loves it, maybe finds it a bit akward and weird, but loves it.

i cannot be one of those fans, but i'm happy someone else can, and he feels confident and excited about it.

i always consider those fans as representatives of all of us, of course they get to be recognized and welcomed, but i strongly hope and think that mika is not considering them better fans than others!

i really would feel sad if it happened.

this community is mika's official fanclub, and among the ones who are registered here there are going to be distinctions. this is not as saying 'mfcers are first class fans' and others are not.

this is something we will manage inside the mfc, and we all know some members have been here from the start, have contributed to build the community, are spending hours to moderate this place, are being very active, are proposing and following projects and on and on.

this counts something inside the community, but i'm sure that mika may want to rewards MS registered members at the same level.

so, as much i recognize the value of some very active members, i'd never forget mika is considering real fans also the die-hard ones outside the MFC.

but, as we are interested in THIS community, we will do our best to drag here more fans as possible, and to do that, we should make the future members confident that they'll never be 'second class' ones in mika's eyes.

we are very welcoming here and in real life, and also if we will consider the most active fans (the ones who registered early and built this community) our 'diamond point', we should never forget that new fans will help us to keep this place active and lively.

and now, the queue!:naughty:

the numbering system is the best way we have NOW to make sure hard-die fans who wants to get front row really get there.

it worked cause the tour manager was involved, and willing to co-operate.

it worked because some of us, of the old registered and more motivated members, really helped to make it work and work well.

we have been thanked enough for the work done, i for one do not want to be thanked more.

i only say that a gig needs motivated people to make a queue management with numbers really work. a sheet of paper to write numbers and names is not enough, one need to have supporters who help in making people understand and realise there is a 'procedure' to follow and numbers to be taken.

In milan it worked also because my friends sent people to me anytime they got to the queue, and i gave numbers out. i would not be able to do it on my own only. a good numbering does not happen by itself, you need co-operation and active work.

i'm sure i have more to say, but it's time for bed now!

:bye:

Forget about perks, posting crap just for the sake of it can be seen as spam, and if it's putting an unnecessary load on an already poorly server, it's something that IMO the mod team should be looking at controlling in some ways, so I would personally not advise anyone to try and up their post count by purposely posting crap :naughty:.

I don't forsee any sort of tiered ticket access being created based on post count. If any "golden circle" is created, it will be based on join date, as well as a requirement that the account is still active. :thumb_yello:

This whole "MFCers" are better fans that others mentality is really working on my nerves now. And as a long-term MFCer, I feel entitled to say it. I've been following some bands and artists for years without joining any online forum or fanclub, and if one of their "true fans" dared saying they have more "rights" than me because they joined a forum, I'd consider it stupid. Enough said.

/rant over

This is not about the MFC's right to be what it is, it's just that sometimes I get the impression some members here have a superiority complex. That is my personal impression, people are free to disagree and tell me I'm wrong, I'm only human.

I wouldn't call it a superiority complex. I'd call it a higher level of dedication.

I'm of the opinion that someone who has been devotedly following every move Mika has made since the days when he was falling off drum kits in Tokyo should have a shot at a better seat than some random person who heard Grace Kelly or Love Today two years ago and hasn't paid any real attention since. The kind of person who is on Twitter moaning that they haven't heard new music from Mika in two years when, hello, they guy has had three new songs on his website for two months already.

I call people like that "meh" fans. And there's nothing wrong with being a "meh" fan. Most of the six million people who bought LICM fall into that category. Personally, I'm a "meh" fan of many artists, such as One Night Only, Eels, Scouting for Girls, Lily Allen, Adele, Calvin Harris. I appreciate their music but I only know their singles, don't follow the album release dates, etc.

But because of that, I don't think I deserve first crack at their tickets over more dedicated fans. I wouldn't think it fair at all for me to be in the first row at a Calvin Harris show and for Niki27 to be stuck five or ten rows back.

And a huge number of those who are dedicated Mika fans find their way over here. We've had people joining throughout this tour, many because they met MFCers at the gigs and liked what they saw. It's not like MFC is some exclusive club that will turn up its nose if you're wearing the wrong shoes or something.

Ultimately, it's about who it matters most to. And I'd rather see Ingie, Emerald, Blue Sky and Fmbm in the front row at a Mika gig than some random guy or girl who has only heard Grace Kelly and calls him "Mike-a." :teehee:

I'm tired of this attitude that MFC is selfish and out to screw other fans just because we have some influence in the way perks are distributed. Fans should consider themselves lucky that there is so much fan involvement and these decisions are not being solely made by Mika's management or worse his record company.

Agreed. :thumb_yello:

I only clicked this link cos' I wanted to look at the Gallery :aah:

I don't know what happened :lmfao:

This place has to be enchanted, it just sucks you in!:roftl:

a fan is a fan, as someone once told us.

but mika likes (so it seems) to be surrounded by familiar faces, family, staff, friends...and now fans.

what's wrong with it? he loves it, maybe finds it a bit akward and weird, but loves it.

i cannot be one of those fans, but i'm happy someone else can, and he feels confident and excited about it.

I can not be one of those fans either but I'm honestly very happy for those who can!:thumb_yello:

And yes, he has said loud and clear that he appreciate to see their familiar faces in front of him when he performs!

Isn’t he the sweetest guy?:wub2:

This place has to be enchanted, it just sucks you in!:roftl:

I can not be one of those fans either but I'm honestly very happy for those who can!:thumb_yello:

And yes, he has said loud and clear that he appreciate to see their familiar faces in front of him when he performs!

Isn’t he the sweetest guy?:wub2:

How do you know you aren't one of those fans? Or who is?

Mmmm my feelings are (not that anyone cares LOL) is that the number system seems to work well, althou i havent exerienced 1 myselve as iv always Q-ed!! It would REALLY annoy me thou if ppl went site-seeing all day while others stand there only to pop back as doors open! Iv seen this with the non-number system where a group of friends leave one person at a time and then all come back with more friends at the last minute!! Sadly you'l always have some ppl trying their luck at pushing in!! IMO Mika gigs are rather tame as i go to 30STMs gigs alot and a friend of mine got her ribs broken and i came out with a clump of hair missing:boxed:

I generally Q up all day and im happy doing this if as i personally prefer to b near the front (of any gig) and if i have to Q for this then thats fine, its how its always been, i generally chat to ppl around me and iv never had a problem leaving the Q for loo breaks, to get a coffee etc. Ppl are all in the same boat, i personally cannot last 7/9hrs without the loo:naughty:

But because of that, I don't think I deserve first crack at their tickets over more dedicated fans. I wouldn't think it fair at all for me to be in the first row at a Calvin Harris show and for Niki27 to be stuck five or ten rows back.

Since you chose to use that example, Mana, I do think I've followed calvin enough to call myself a hardcore fan. I'm not on any CH forum or fanclub tho. I don't even read what they say about him on larger communities like popjustice.com because I don't need them to find all the info I want. And I would HATE IT if I felt compelled to join a CH fansite to have a chance to be front row.

I won’t say anything about my own shortcomings in English because I have done that to exhaustion and I’m afraid people are going to throw things at me:bash: :biggrin2: but I wanted to quote your post because I really agree with so much of what you said!

This is the main thing for being a member, people understand what you are doing and doesn’t find it weird or strange to travel to see Mika on stage!:wub2:

And to meet people in real life that you have met on the "dangerous" internet!

Since you chose to use that example, Mana, I do think I've followed calvin enough to call myself a hardcore fan. I'm not on any CH forum or fanclub tho. I don't even read what they say about him on larger communities like popjustice.com because I don't need them to find all the info I want. And I would HATE IT if I felt compelled to join a CH fansite to have a chance to be front row.

Then my questions are:

1) Does Calvin have an official fan club? Because while Mika doesn't currently have a fan club like, say, U2, MFC is the closest thing he's got going. And fan clubs for loads of bands always get a first crack at the best tickets. That's pretty standard, from what I've seen.

2) Has Calvin done reserved seating shows? If so, without being a member of any sort of fan club, how do you get access to the best seats? Obviously, if he's only doing GA shows, that's a non-issue.