Queuing for GA gigs - thoughts, feedback, suggestions?

lollipop_monkey

I don't know what determines what kind of fan you are, but I guess that an above average level of dedication is required to be considered 'hardcore'. I consider myself above average as I tend to buy many things Mika related, have a 'Mika wall', take every possibility I have to see him live and queue very early to get to the front, come on MFC everyday and try to keep track of everything that happens.

Now for the sake of comparison, my cousin claimed to be a fan, but she falls under the by Mana explained 'meh' fans. She knows his songs as she's got the album, she's been to one gig with me but did not want to go early and when we got there and she had to wait 1,5 hours she kept complaining. Apart from that, she's not really interested in Mika at all.

Why did I post this? I have no idea:naughty:

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know you aren't one of those fans? Or who is?

What I meant was the lucky ones who have travelled to many gigs and made it to the front row and been acknowledged by Mika himself!:blush-anim-cl:

So far I have only been in front row a couple of times and not (yet) crossed the Atlantic to see him, I have crossed the North See though!:wink2:

But who knows what the future holds?:biggrin2:

What I meant was the lucky ones who have travelled to many gigs and made it to the front row and been acknowledged by Mika himself!:blush-anim-cl:

So far I have only been in front row a couple of times and not (yet) crossed the Atlantic to see him, I have crossed the North See though!:wink2:

I haven't crossed the Atlantic to see him but hey, at least we did travel to see him which shows we're dedicated right?:naughty:

Then my questions are:

1) Does Calvin have an official fan club? Because while Mika doesn't currently have a fan club like, say, U2, MFC is the closest thing he's got going. And fan clubs for loads of bands always get a first crack at the best tickets. That's pretty standard, from what I've seen.

2) Has Calvin done reserved seating shows? If so, without being a member of any sort of fan club, how do you get access to the best seats? Obviously, if he's only doing GA shows, that's a non-issue.

Why did you use that example if you thought it was a bad one, Mana? Cause it sure was a bad one.

1) I don't know.

2) Seating CH shows? LMAO.

Well then I guess only the person or Mika will know that then!

Why did you use that example if you thought it was a bad one, Mana? Cause it sure was a bad one.

1) I don't know.

2) Seating CH shows? LMAO.

Huh? When did I say it was a bad example? :blink:

I suppose more than anything, it's not a relevant example - because I was talking about dedicated fans having access to the first few rows of reserved tickets. Obviously, if Calvin Harris only does GA shows, then the "which fans get the chance to buy tickets first" thing is utterly moot.

The point I was trying to make is that IMHO, you're a bigger Calvin fan than I am, so if there were reserved seats to be had, fairness suggests that you should have the first crack at getting a good seat.

Another example would be Hanson. When I saw Hanson last fall, there was a chick there who had all three of their faces tattooed on her back. She follows every move they make, has all the albums, singles, b-sides, etc, and has done so since 1997. And in my opinion, she should have first chance to buy good tickets. And I absolutely think she should have that chance before a "meh" fan like myself who didn't realize they'd released their latest album until a good six months after it hit the shelves.

I don't know what determines what kind of fan you are, but I guess that an above average level of dedication is required to be considered 'hardcore'. I consider myself above average as I tend to buy many things Mika related, have a 'Mika wall', take every possibility I have to see him live and queue very early to get to the front, come on MFC everyday and try to keep track of everything that happens.

Now for the sake of comparison, my cousin claimed to be a fan, but she falls under the by Mana explained 'meh' fans. She knows his songs as she's got the album, she's been to one gig with me but did not want to go early and when we got there and she had to wait 1,5 hours she kept complaining. Apart from that, she's not really interested in Mika at all.

Why did I post this? I have no idea:naughty:

I don't really know what constitutes being a hardcore fan either .... I'm currently watching my fave band Franz Ferdinand play Glastonbury Festival .... and I'm still bloody here - even though I said I was going ages ago .... :biggrin2:

Seriously though .... I could never be as hardcore as most of you .... my days of going to see a band/artist 15 times in one year are long gone .... financially speaking of course ... if this changes tomorrow and I win the lottery or something I'll be there with bells on ..... but I got Mika's album originally cos' I love music .... full stop ..... this is all a bonus for me .... cos' I never expected to go gaga over him or the MFC :mf_rosetinted:

I was just thinking.. maybe it's better to discuss these things when post-gig euphoria has passed.. and rationality sets in again. :teehee:

I lost rationality, the day I put a penguin costume on!:naughty:

Btw, does THAT make me a hardcore fan?

When I saw Hanson last fall, there was a chick there who had all three of their faces tattooed on her back. She follows every move they make, has all the albums, singles, b-sides, etc, and has done so since 1997. And in my opinion, she should have first chance to buy good tickets. And I absolutely think she should have that chance before a "meh" fan like myself who didn't realize they'd released their latest album until a good six months after it hit the shelves.

Does being scary entitle one to the front row? I don't think so.. :teehee:

Taking your example.. if she's been a fan since 1997, she had many opportunities to see them live, much more than a new fan.

Front row, small venues.. she would've been able to experience that already.

Aren't newer fans entitled to this experience?

Or should they just stay in the back forever just because they happened to discover them later?

There's an argument for both sides..

Taking your example.. if she's been a fan since 1997, she had many opportunities to see them live, much more than a new fan.

Or should they just stay in the back forever just because they happened to discover them later?

I guess that kind of answers my question.

Indeed. This is a non-debate anyway. "Meh" fans aren't glued to their computer to be the first ones to buy ticks and get the best seats. They don't queue all day to be front row. Only the most dedicated do, wether they've been hardcore for years or just 2 weeks. You cannot measure dedication with rational criterias (membership, time, or number of tatoos) because there is nothing rational about the feelings u can have for an artist or a band.

It's not a "new fans versus old fans" arguement. It's a "dedicated fans versus meh fans" arguement. I'm of the opinion that someone who is passionately into an artist should have the opportunity to get great seats over someone who has a casual, passing interest.

That's why queuing, for all it's hardships and hassles, is fair if honoured. If you make the effort to turn up early in order to get a good spot, you're obviously more dedicated than someone who waltzes in five minutes before Mika takes the stage.

And getting a fan club presale for reserved shows is the same thing, just in the digital world instead of on a venue sidewalk. If you're dedicated, you're paying attention. And if you're paying attention, you act first and thus get good seats. End of story.

You cannot measure dedication with rational criterias (membership, time, or number of tatoos) because there is nothing rational about the feelings u can have for an artist or a band.

But you can, because those are the only quantitative things you can go on. It happens all the time. Many fan clubs offer presales based on how long you've been a member. That's just life.

I guess that kind of answers my question.

We love your brand of scary. :naughty::teehee:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

But you can, because those are the only quantitative things you can go on. It happens all the time. Many fan clubs offer presales based on how long you've been a member. That's just life.

That does seem to be how lots of established artists handle their presale. I understand for some you even have to pay?

There is an argument that says just because others do it that way it doesn't follow that it's the best way or everyone should follow suit.

On the other hand it seems to work....and as you say there has to be some kind of criteria.

There will never be a way to handle presale that everyone thinks is fair. Or a way to handle any commodity where demand exceeds supply.

Here's another one for you, Niki. :naughty:

Life isn't fair.

What a powerful argument. I have nothing to reply to this.

It's not meant to be a powerful arguement. It's meant to be a statement of fact.

I suppose Mika/Universal could implement a "proper" fan club, where Platinum Memberships are sold for an exorbitant fee, and 80% of MFC members (and Mikawebsite members, and Italian forum members, etc) are heartbroken because they can't possibly afford to be platinum members.

Then instead of getting a seat based on how quickly you buy reserved tickets or how long you're willing to queue, your spot is allocated based on how deep your pockets are. :blink:

I'd hate to see the fallout on here if a system like that ever comes into play.

It's not meant to be a powerful arguement. It's meant to be a statement of fact.

I suppose Mika/Universal could implement a "proper" fan club, where Platinum Memberships are sold for an exorbitant fee, and 80% of MFC members (and Mikawebsite members, and Italian forum members, etc) are heartbroken because they can't possibly afford to be platinum members.

Then instead of getting a seat based on how quickly you buy reserved tickets or how long you're willing to queue, your spot is allocated based on how deep your pockets are. :blink:

That would be me out for starters, I'm struggling now.

Right now it's based on who can afford to take the day off to be online at noon whenever something may or may not happen in the other end of the world, don't really see the difference to be honest :dunno: