Nouja :teehee:

Moet kunnen toch? Hoe zou je zelf zijn? :mf_rosetinted::naughty::blush-anim-cl:

Denk dat ik dat dan maar eens ga doen .. :wink2:

Tot morgen :bye:

Volgens mij kan je dat wel raden :teehee::blush-anim-cl:

Welterusten, mooie dromen en tot morgen! :huglove:

Hi Dutchies! :bye:

I like that this thread is tagged "crotch laser 4 life" :roftl:

So I'm kind of in a phase where I'm obsessed with all things Dutch - especially differences in Dutch spoken in the Netherlands and Dutch spoken in Belgium. I'm curious what you all think of those differences? Is it really obvious?

Do you find that people from Groningen and Drenthe speak differently than people from Noord-Brabant, because of the proximity to Belgium?

I'm also curious about word choice. I read that some people use the parting expression "houdoe" and others prefer to say "doei"...? Is that accurate, 'cause online translators don't have either word. :teehee:

Sorry for intruding, I just find all this fascinating. :blush-anim-cl:

Ja idd! Leuke ava heb je nu :wub2:

Hihi, dankjewel!

Ik denk dat ik gewoon op het juiste prentje zat te wachten en jah, met de clip was het wel duidelijk :blush-anim-cl:

So I'm kind of in a phase where I'm obsessed with all things Dutch - especially differences in Dutch spoken in the Netherlands and Dutch spoken in Belgium. I'm curious what you all think of those differences? Is it really obvious?

Do you find that people from Groningen and Drenthe speak differently than people from Noord-Brabant, because of the proximity to Belgium?

I'm also curious about word choice. I read that some people use the parting expression "houdoe" and others prefer to say "doei"...? Is that accurate, 'cause online translators don't have either word. :teehee:

Heya!

Welcome in the Dutch thread!

And yes, I think the differences are quite obvious. I myself am from Antwerp in Belgium. Probably the differences are smaller in regions that are close to eachother, but when someone from Groningen speaks in his/her dialect I can barely understand a word they are saying. Even in Belgium itself the differences are quite big, we have a lot of dialects.

The differences between Groningen, Drenthe and Noord-Brabant I don't really know, but I'm sure the Dutchies from the Netherlands can clear that out for you.

"Houdoe" and "doei" are indeed parting expressions, "doei" is mostly used in the netherlands in Belgium we say "dag". "Houdoe" I think is more related to the Limburg region, I know that they say it in Belgium too, but only in that region. I guess the others will complete what I have left out :wink2:

Oh yeah, and about not finding it on any online translators. That's probably because in Dutch we have something called AN or Algemeen Nederlands which means something like "Common Dutch". This is the 'official' language, what you get teached in schools and what foreigners learn when they follow a course, it's also the kind of Dutch the newsreaders have to use, and also the Dutch that is in dictionaries. I'm not sure about 'doei' but 'houdoe' is definitely not Common Dutch so it will not be in any dictionary or translator.

So, this should get you started :teehee:

Yes, it's obvious lol. It is for me frenchspeaker at least! :naughty: The main difference is the pronunciation. Flemish (Belgian) people use what we call a "soft G", Dutchies a "hard G" for instance. That makes the Dutch from the Netherlands sound more guttural, a bit harsher.

The Belgian Dutch is more influenced by the French language too so that, In Belgium, you sometimes find two words to describe the same thing, the pure dutch form, and a more french-sounding one. Like paraplu (french: parapluie) and regenscherm, which both mean umbrella. This phenomenon is spreading tho, and is even more obvious in a city like Brussels which is (or supposed to be) bilingual.

You have little grammatical differences like the place of the infinitive/past participle in some sentences, but these are really irrelevant, imo.

99% of the vocabulary is the same, methinks, you just need to be careful with certain words like aerm... "poepen" for instance, which means "to poo" in Dutchieland whereas it can mean "have sex" in (parts of?) Belgium. Don't ask why :naughty:

You also have regional accents, of course, and a lot of regional dialects which can vary a lot from one city to the next, and regional preferences. That also applies to the way people greet each other, and wether you say "doei" or sthg else is just a matter of...I dunno, like saying "heya" instead of "hi" or "hello".

As a "foreigner", I tend to think the Belgian Dutch sounds nicer (sorry hoor!) and is easier to understand. But it's a matter of taste. In a nutshell, I'd say the difference between Dutch from NL and Dutch from Belgium is like the difference between the French from France and the French from Belgium, 99% alike, with small variations. And of course, these variations tend to blend and disappear when you are close to the border. Besides, the less educated , informal or careful people are, the more they'll use a dialect. But that's true for every language. If I want to speak fast and use the dialect/accent of my region, someone from France (or another Belgian French speaking city) won't understand me :naughty: Just like a Londoner and someone from Glasgow won't understand each other if they both decide to speak in the worse way they can ;)

I'm not a native tho... But I hope it helps ;)

Hoe is iedereen?

Heya!

And yes, I think the differences are quite obvious. I myself am from Antwerp in Belgium. Probably the differences are smaller in regions that are close to eachother, but when someone from Groningen speaks in his/her dialect I can barely understand a word they are saying. Even in Belgium itself the differences are quite big, we have a lot of dialects.

Idd, I live in Flemish-Brabant and the differences between the provinces are very noticeable already. Antwerp for instance, it's not like I don't understand it, but they've got a sharper pronunciation than we do e.g. I have to say tho that it's very hard for me to understand some dialects from West Flanders and East Flanders. West Flanders e.g. use a lot of different words than we do here and the words are shortened --> consonants are swallowed.

I have to say this is typical for the Belgian Dutch. We tend to swallow a lot of ending consonants from words. e.g.: Not = niet in Dutch, but when we talk we often don't say the 't' so it's pronounced: 'nie'. Problem with this is, that when we talk fast/normal, the words are difficult to understand for non native speakers cause they don't know what words we're saying. I have to say Limburg has the most understandable Dutch from Belgium :thumb_yello:

It does remind a bit of the Dutch from the Netherlands in that matter. To me there are 3 big differences between Dutch from belgium and the netherlands:

1. pronunciation

2. use of consonants

3. different words and meanings

As mentioned, other pronunciation. Dutch from the netherlands sounds higher and sharper whereas belgian dutch sounds lower and more in the mouth if you know what I mean hehe:teehee: 'mumbling'. Except for Limburg and Antwerp a bit. Antwerp has sharp tones as well.

I noticed we have a lot of different words as well. Some words we use in Belgium don't exist in the netherlands or vice versa. Even what food concerns! We call something x and they call it y, which can be very confusing :teehee:

A lot has to do with our french influence idd. Especially in dialect we use a lot of french words or expressions. I did notice however, that in holland they tend to use a lot of english words. We do a bit too, but not nearly as much. Classic example: In holland they say 'jam', the english word, we use 'confituur', french: confiture.

Hoe is iedereen?

Goed, en met jou? :teehee:

EDIT: I forgot the biggest difference between Dutch from holland and belgium!

'You' is 'jij' or 'je' in dutch, BUT here we tend to say: 'Gij' or 'Ge' or 'U'. 'U' is being used in holland as well, but mostly to talk very politely to someone, like your boss or smth. We use it all the time here, no matter who you are :teehee:

Edited by Droopsy

Hihi, dankjewel!

Ik denk dat ik gewoon op het juiste prentje zat te wachten en jah, met de clip was het wel duidelijk :blush-anim-cl:

Heya!

The differences between Groningen, Drenthe and Noord-Brabant I don't really know, but I'm sure the Dutchies from the Netherlands can clear that out for you.

"Houdoe" and "doei" are indeed parting expressions, "doei" is mostly used in the netherlands in Belgium we say "dag". "Houdoe" I think is more related to the Limburg region, I know that they say it in Belgium too, but only in that region. I guess the others will complete what I have left out :wink2:

Oh yeah, and about not finding it on any online translators. That's probably because in Dutch we have something called AN or Algemeen Nederlands which means something like "Common Dutch". This is the 'official' language, what you get teached in schools and what foreigners learn when they follow a course, it's also the kind of Dutch the newsreaders have to use, and also the Dutch that is in dictionaries. I'm not sure about 'doei' but 'houdoe' is definitely not Common Dutch so it will not be in any dictionary or translator.

So, this should get you started :teehee:

nooo! 'Houdoe' is something we say here in Brabant! :biggrin2: Some people say in it Limburg as well, but it's typical brabants.

yes we of the nothern part of holland do speak a bit different but its mostly the accent but in groningen its mostly the older people who talk in real "grunnings" i personally hate it and revuge to talk that dialect. but people can unfortunally hear where i'm from :blush-anim-cl:

As mentioned, other pronunciation. Dutch from the netherlands sounds higher and sharper whereas belgian dutch sounds lower and more in the mouth if you know what I mean hehe:teehee: 'mumbling'. Except for Limburg and Antwerp a bit. Antwerp has sharp tones as well.

I think Dutch is quite harsh and flemish more melodic.

That's just the accent..

When it comes to different words.. even in the Netherlands there's huge differences.

I'm from Den Haag and we have loads of expressions that people from other parts of the country don't use.

They call it 'bargoens' (dieventaal.. or 'language of thieves' literally translated).

Some people from uni are from a neighbouring city and they don't even get these expressions. :teehee:

I guess that when you were here you could hear the differences as well. When I'm in Amsterdam, people look at me in a weird way because my accent is totally different. In Brabant and Limburg we pronounce the G in a soft tone and in other parts of the Netherlands they use a hard G. Also they have the rolling R there and Brabanters don't have that.:naughty:

Do you want me to send you Dutch related stuff?:roftl:

I love some typical Brabantse expressions like: Tis wat het is en tis nie anders (as in: It is what it is and it's not different than it is)

Or Als we komen dan komen we (If we come, we come):roftl:

"Houdoe" and "doei" are indeed parting expressions, "doei" is mostly used in the netherlands in Belgium we say "dag". "Houdoe" I think is more related to the Limburg region, I know that they say it in Belgium too, but only in that region.

Uh .. no? :blink:

I live in Limburg (Belgium) and we NEVER say "houdoe" :roftl: I do know the expression because I've (had) family in the Netherlands :wink2: But they lived in Brabant and they use it there, like Linde said.

But it's just impossible to know who uses what and where, the differences are so big! If you cross Belgium it's like 200 km, but if people on the "other side" talk to me the way they talk to each other I have a very difficult time .. :roftl: And then I'm just talking about Belgium (flanders) alone .. not even the Netherlands :bleh:

I love some typical Brabantse expressions like: Tis wat het is en tis nie anders (as in: It is what it is and it's not different than it is)

Or Als we komen dan komen we (If we come, we come):roftl:

Are those typical Brabant? :blink:

Maybe I have more Dutch-blood in me than I realized .. :roftl:

Goed!

I see you is nu al geweldig, kan niet wachten op t hele nummer:wub2:

en ik ben druk aan t nadenken over die video voor wag, dat moet echt iets bijzonders worden. maar ik ben nog niet zo vrij voor de camera als caz en ingie, dus dat word 'n probleem :naughty: hoe is t met jou? ga je ook wat doen voor die video?

Bwa .. niet schitterend maar ik weet niet of ik zin heb om erover te praten ..

En neen, ik ga niet meedoen met die video .. Ik heb nog niet eens plaats in mijn kamer om te dansen!