First single -We Are Golden!!

Mary

I adore how he can look -styled?- so rushed and messy yet great. When I'm rushed and messy, that's what I look like - rushed and messy!:naughty:

Mind you, notice the bags under his eyes!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well.

I wouldn't say I'm very disappointed, but underwhelmed does fit the bill.

When I first heard that tacky sprechgesang fragment I was hoping for the rest to pick me up but now I find that exact bit the most catchy part of the whole song.

I know that it's just me (as usual), I'm sure pretty much everyone else is amazed, but those months and months of building up expectations kinda backfired here with me. I really did expect something spectacular. A second Grace Kelly or something equally brilliant. But this just sounds to me as if it was originally written for the K36 girls. I'm sure it will go to #1 and stay there for a while but for me it just lacks about everything. Hope the album will contain one or another marvel.

i won't go down this line much, but i agree 100% :mf_rosetinted:

I adore how he can look -styled?- so rushed and messy yet great. When I'm rushed and messy, that's what I look like - rushed and messy!:naughty:

Mind you, notice the bags under his eyes!

He does look extremely tired, doesn't he?

overslept mika? :naughty:

Underslept more like it :naughty:

Oh well.

I wouldn't say I'm very disappointed, but underwhelmed does fit the bill.

When I first heard that tacky sprechgesang fragment I was hoping for the rest to pick me up but now I find that exact bit the most catchy part of the whole song.

I know that it's just me (as usual), I'm sure pretty much everyone else is amazed, but those months and months of building up expectations kinda backfired here with me. I really did expect something spectacular. A second Grace Kelly or something equally brilliant. But this just sounds to me as if it was originally written for the K36 girls. I'm sure it will go to #1 and stay there for a while but for me it just lacks about everything. Hope the album will contain one or another marvel.

You're not alone. I am a bit underwhelmed as well. I don't think that the song is bad, or hate it or dislike it by any means, and I don't think for a second that it won't do well, but I find it...let's see, it's hard to explain. I will try now, and let's see how I feel about it in a few days after some more listens, and I may have to eat my words later on but I will just say how I feel about it now.

I just think that it lacks a few things. One of them is that it's not showing Mika's voice properly. The background is taking over too much, and you can barely hear him. His singing seems a bit too 'fast' as if he's trying to make this a dancey song when it's not meant to, or cram too much into the precious 3 minutes....I don't know, I much prefer his songs when you can actually HEAR his voice and appreciate it properly. It's not that the song is bad or that he doesn't sing it well, but more that any plain Joe could sing it and it doesn't really scream 'I have an incredible vocal range which most can only dream of and here it is in all its glory'.

On another note, I personally find that it's a bit over produced. Yes, many people will jump on my throat for saying this, but in my world simple always wins, and yes, this is big sounding blablabla, BUT I find that the bigger it sounds, the more tiresome it becomes later, and the less longevity it has as a song. The more props that go into the song, the catchier it will be at first and the more sick you'll get of it when you listen to it many times, that's how I see it.

Catchiness does not equal quality- I've had the chorus of WAG in my head all day and yet I don't feel a feeling of 'fulfilment' when I hear it. I DOhowever feel this when I listen to Lady Jane, or ToyBoy, or Blame it On The Girls or Blue Eyes even.

What else? I think that this is it, basically. I don't get a proper sense of story out of it, like there is with ToyBoy for example, and I know that it's a poor comparison as these two are very different styles and they shouldn't be compared, but I was utterly floored by his amazement when I heard the 4 new songs in LA, and I don't get the same feeling with this one. In my opinion, this is NOT the strongest song of all the new ones we've heard so far. Not at all.

So we'll see what else the album brings, but I am hoping that he's not aiming so 'big' for the rest of songs and that he will go a bit more for 'substance' in them.

I know that it's just me (as usual), I'm sure pretty much everyone else is amazed, but those months and months of building up expectations kinda backfired here with me.

It's not just you...I thought it was just me...

I wish I was as crazy about it as everyone else seems to be.

I love the verses, and the way he sings them, but I can't feel the chorus, I feel so...odd for not being mad about it.

It is just one single, I'm gonna give it time.

You're not alone. I am a bit underwhelmed as well. I don't think that the song is bad, or hate it or dislike it by any means, and I don't think for a second that it won't do well, but I find it...let's see, it's hard to explain. I will try now, and let's see how I feel about it in a few days after some more listens, and I may have to eat my words later on but I will just say how I feel about it now.

I just think that it lacks a few things. One of them is that it's not showing Mika's voice properly. The background is taking over too much, and you can barely hear him. His singing seems a bit too 'fast' as if he's trying to make this a dancey song when it's not meant to, or cram too much into the precious 3 minutes....I don't know, I much prefer his songs when you can actually HEAR his voice and appreciate it properly. It's not that the song is bad or that he doesn't sing it well, but more that any plain Joe could sing it and it doesn't really scream 'I have an incredible vocal range which most can only dream of and here it is in all its glory'.

On another note, I personally find that it's a bit over produced. Yes, many people will jump on my throat for saying this, but in my world simple always wins, and yes, this is big sounding blablabla, BUT I find that the bigger it sounds, the more tiresome it becomes later, and the less longevity it has as a song. The more props that go into the song, the catchier it will be at first and the more sick you'll get of it when you listen to it many times, that's how I see it.

Catchiness does not equal quality- I've had the chorus of WAG in my head all day and yet I don't feel a feeling of 'fulfilment' when I hear it. I DOhowever feel this when I listen to Lady Jane, or ToyBoy, or Blame it On The Girls or Blue Eyes even.

What else? I think that this is it, basically. I don't get a proper sense of story out of it, like there is with ToyBoy for example, and I know that it's a poor comparison as these two are very different styles and they shouldn't be compared, but I was utterly floored by his amazement when I heard the 4 new songs in LA, and I don't get the same feeling with this one. In my opinion, this is NOT the strongest song of all the new ones we've heard so far. Not at all.

So we'll see what else the album brings, but I am hoping that he's not aiming so 'big' for the rest of songs and that he will go a bit more for 'substance' in them.

I agree with a lot of what you say, although I think I like the song more than I feel you do...but I certainly do agree wholeheartedly on the bit about Mika's voice being overwhelmed by the production. That does bother me, quite a lot.

Yes, I agree with a lot of your points Sariflor. Underwhelmed is also the word that I used. I had been expecting HUGE things, having heard that it was the 'best pop song for a long time'. Well, in my opinion it certainly isn't a GK or even a Viva la Vida which, IMO was certainly a brilliant pop song. I personally would rather listen to Songs for Sorrow over and over rather than this. I never for one moment thought that I wouldn't like it. I am just waiting for it to grow on me.:shocked:

Weirdly enough,about an hour after it was on Radio2, 'We are golden' was on romanian radio.

Turned on the car radio and as it sounded familiar I let it play. I can only say we are a fast nation...or we have a Radio2 run station

Ha. Holland was faster:mf_rosetinted:That one played WAG like, 10 minutes after BBC 2.

Anyway, I like the song, but I HATE the falsetto in the chorus. It's so..I dunno.:blink:

i have to quote, you can express what i feel very well.:thumb_yello:

He does look like he stole his little bro's trousers for sure.:naughty:

I hadn't noticed :roftl: but I don't understand. His brother is his height, and Mika has worn trousers like these before.

So either Mika has grown a lot recently, or he's stolen his bro's old jeans :naughty:. I do feel a bit sorry for him because he looks really tired, maybe he was so worried about the single coming out, etc...

I agree with a lot of what you say, although I think I like the song more than I feel you do...but I certainly do agree wholeheartedly on the bit about Mika's voice being overwhelmed by the production. That does bother me, quite a lot.

Yes, that is I think one of the things that bug me most. The fact that his voice is not centre piece.

It happened with the Katy Perry cd as well. I loved some of her songs in the demo version that she had before, or when she did them live, and then when she got the cd out I didn't 'feel' those songs, and in fact never have felt them the same way that I did when I heard the simpler versions.

I think that I won't comment much more until I've heard the song a few more times or I will feel like a total fool if I change my mind a bit later :naughty:. But the producing/overproducing/voice thing will still stand.

Oh and it's a bit similar to when he's done the songs live (today at Radio 2 and on Saturday at Latitude with Dermot) : I thought that the backing singing (was it Dan? or Martin?) was too loud and that for some periods of time it didn't allow for Mika's voice to be heard properly :blink:.

Anyway, that's my criticism for the day. As I always say, I love him to death, and am a super mega fan, but I say it as I feel it and if I don't love something that he does I will say it with the same passion that I will say if I love something.

Anyway, that's my criticism for the day. As I always say, I love him to death, and am a super mega fan, but I say it as I feel it and if I don't love something that he does I will say it with the same passion that I will say if I love something.

Well, yes, only true fans are not afraid to share criticisms. :thumb_yello:

I agree.

It would be pointless lying if I said I was absolutely madly in love with it.:naughty:

I wish I was madly in love with it though. :blink: Even the reviews are so good, I'm just not feeling it...yet anyway.