Mika set delights the kids at latitude festival

dcdeb

mikalatitudejohnson_W.jpg

Arriving on stage at 4.20pm today (Saturday July 18) in the UNCUT Arena, wearing a bright orange jacket, Mika delivered a 40- minute greatest hits set that delighted the packed tent.

With the audience consisting largely of families, Mika’s set could perhaps be best described as being closer to pantomime, or a kids’ play workshop, than a gig.

Paper planes with “Throw these when you hear the words ‘Scooby Doo’” written on them were handed to throw in the air at the appropriate moment.

Mika also presented many opportunities for crowd participation, which clearly delighted many of the children in the audience.

Mock-complaining about the bass emanating from a nearby tent, Mika said to the crowd: “We will challenge them by being the quietest tent.” Cue much shushing from the children. Later, ahead of “Big Girl”, thunder sound effects resounded round the UNCUT Arena prior to a massive explosion of confetti into the air. As one parent observed, “All you need now is Widow T****ey to turn up, and it’s a full house.”

Although billed as an acoustic gig, Mika was joined on stage by a full band. In keeping with the colourful nature of the set, the backing singers wore tall headpieces covered in silver and glitter.

This was Mika’s first UK festival in almost two years. Clearly thrilled with the audience response, he climbed on to a monitor with a dustbin-like drum and began beating it at the start of “Lollipop”, before telling the crowd to jump up and down.

Balloons were also released.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/mika/news/13358

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for posting.:thumb_yello:

So typical attitude from the British press : presenting him as a kids entertainer.... Must add, though that the lyrics of the new single will reinforce that :cool:

T4P

A strange sort of review, though :blink:

T4P, Deb!:wink2:

Hope he has mind his language or the kids might have learned loads of new vocabulary...:naughty:

Oh, and I bet they all sang along to the happy lullaby "You take a pill wonder if it'll fix you" part, and the parents had to explain all those infant-like cheery up lyrics afterwards...:mf_rosetinted:

Oh, and I bet they all sang along to the happy lullaby "You take a pill wonder if it'll fix you" part, and the parents had to explain all those infant-like cheery up lyrics afterwards...:mf_rosetinted:

He's talking about Flintstone vitamins. :thumb_yello:

50737.jpg

Thanks Deb!

Where it will be possible to see photos?

I see some photos in the Latitude Festival gig thread, Lena. Oops, I see

this article posted there now, too -- didn't notice before. :blush-anim-cl:

He's talking about Flintstone vitamins. :thumb_yello:

50737.jpg

Wonka, stay away from vitamins please!:sneaky2:

I'm just into Vitamin D for now, and some Red Bull, but those are pretty interesting, gotta ask Christine where can i get them...:mf_rosetinted:

Thank you for posting.:thumb_yello:

So typical attitude from the British press : presenting him as a kids entertainer.... Must add, though that the lyrics of the new single will reinforce that :cool:

Depressing- and like Wonka says, strange. I thought the few WAG lyrics we heard were quite complex too.

I thought the few WAG lyrics we heard were quite complex too.

I meant the fact that it was all about teenagers from a teenage perspective...:wink2:

Not many can identify with that, unfortunately, including me....:cool:

I meant the fact that it was all about teenagers from a teenage perspective...:wink2:

Not many can identify with that, unfortunately, including me....:cool:

Desafortunadamente, I'm not a teenager outside, but inside, as FD thought, I AM 12 YO!:mf_rosetinted:

T4P Deb.

*sigh* kids entertainer? The fact that lots of children were there is more to do with the nature of the Latitude festival than with Mika, I hope that on some level the reviewer realises that (but I doubt it).