The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

And in fairness to the UK, I should add that immegrants are encouraged to rejoice in their own culture to a fairly wide extent, although a lot of people (including me) are against the idea (being considered) that sharia law should be given some sort of official status here.

I just wanted to post a reply to this part of your comment :) There is a misconception with the Sharia Law. It's not aimed for anyone other than people who follow the Islamic faith and even then it's a voluntary option. And it will not get an official status in the UK, it's only among consenting Muslim people.

And to also add i really enjoyed the discussion in this thread about Mika's progression so far in the TBWKTM era.

And i'll like to add that i think that despite what has been said, Europe is now the major target in the Music Industry not the US anymore and it's just a shame Mika is promoting other parts of Europe rather than the UK ^^ P.s. loved his performance on La chanson de l'anee 2009 :thumb_yello::naughty:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to post a reply to this part of your comment :) There is a misconception with the Sharia Law. It's not aimed for anyone other than people who follow the Islamic faith and even then it's a voluntary option. And it will not get an official status in the UK, it's only among consenting Muslim people.

And to also add i really enjoyed the discussion in this thread about Mika's progression so far in the TBWKTM era.

And i'll like to add that i think that despite what has been said, Europe is now the major target in the Music Industry not the US anymore and it's just a shame Mika is promoting other parts of Europe rather than the UK ^^ P.s. loved his performance on La chanson de l'anee 2009 :thumb_yello::naughty:

I think you are right in theory - it's a voluntary option where arbitration is required, rather than a change to the application of the law. But I don't believe it can be truly optional, given the amount of pressure certain people are put under by their community to conform. But that's not a discussion for this thread.

I disagree about the US being less important - anyone who is "big in the states" gets a head start in the UK, as far as radio, TV and newspaper coverage is concerned.

I think you are right in theory - it's a voluntary option where arbitration is required, rather than a change to the application of the law. But I don't believe it can be truly optional, given the amount of pressure certain people are put under by their community to conform. But that's not a discussion for this thread.

I disagree about the US being less important - anyone who is "big in the states" gets a head start in the UK, as far as radio, TV and newspaper coverage is concerned.

Anyone I think of like Lady gaga, rihanna, Jay Z... surely they weren't in the UK first.. :blink:

I'm not put under-pressure to conform :sneaky2::naughty: and yes we'll leave it at that! :biggrin2:

And you're right US Acts get more promo push but European music industry is now much sort after to concur than the US in recent years. I read an article about this last year with stats and all about the shift in change but google is not being my friend atm! :teehee:

I'm not put under-pressure to conform :sneaky2::naughty: and yes we'll leave it at that! :biggrin2:

And you're right US Acts get more promo push but European music industry is now much sort after to concur than the US in recent years. I read an article about this last year with stats and all about the shift in change but google is not being my friend atm! :teehee:

I'm glad to hear it :huglove:

I'd be interested to read that. Funny how interested I am in the music industry all of a sudden :roftl:

Can I just point out that I am not labouring under a misconception about Sharia law in the UK- I know perfectly well that it's intended to be voluntary.

But what happens when someone wants to opt out after opting in- do the UK courts enforce the sharia law, or do they (as I think they should) say, "that contract is not enforceable in law" (or whatever the legal terminology is)? After all, they say it to Christians who've stood up in church and vowed to marry "until death us do part" when their partner interprets that as "as long as you both shall feel like it"- there's no extra penalty if you make an extra vow. Same with prenups- you can put whatever you like in, but its not enforceable in law- marriage under the law is the same for everybody

And I bet there are about a million other special interest groups who could think of a little alteration to the law that would suit them, and the law can't discriminate against new ideologies, so they'd have to have the same legal status. All in all, I don't think sharia law should have any official status (which is what it would be) in the UK.

And incidentally, I've lived and worked very happily under strict sharia law for 2 years- from 1985-87 in the Sudan. And it was VERY strictly imposed (with a little help from Princess Diana, who got everybody into high necked blouses- but only for a short time in most countries)

Edited by Soaring Simpson

Lady Gaga was big in the UK/Europe first before the US, same with Kings of Leon, The Killers etc.

Yes, some of the weirder US stars do seem to find that. And also (especially Bruce Springsteen) they say that Europe remains loyal longer after north America's moved on. Or that's what they say to Europeans, anyway :biggrin2:

oh, that's cool because it's "your thread" :teehee:

And i'll like to add that i think that despite what has been said, Europe is now the major target in the Music Industry not the US anymore and it's just a shame Mika is promoting other parts of Europe rather than the UK ^^

Really? Why is that? It would be another great discussion..

Yes, some of the weirder US stars do seem to find that. And also (especially Bruce Springsteen) they say that Europe remains loyal longer after north America's moved on. Or that's what they say to Europeans, anyway :biggrin2:

I think that's because it might take longer to build up an act in Europe, but people don't easily forget established artists... I guess it has to do with the collective 'cultural' memory in mass media in Europe vs US and the slight difference in mentality - also shaped by that. It's not better or worse, it is just different..

I did love Grace Kelly immediately but I wouldn't have listened to the album much if Mika hadn't won me over with his personality.

I would have, after just that one song :blush-anim-cl: Even though I did hear him perform songs live on the Radio and listened to bits of 3 further songs on his myspace page before the album was released, it was still GK that triggered my interest to almost extreme levels...:teehee:

However, if I had lived on another planet in 2007 and 2008 and the first song I ever heard from him had been WAG, I would have probably even changed the channel it was on..:cool:.. except if I'd heard the speaking parts, too..

But.... I would have never started collecting stuff on him if it hadn't been for his personality. The reason I am visiting MFC is also partly because of that, but the reason I am posting is the company I find here :biggrin2:

However, if I had lived on another planet in 2007 and 2008 and the first song I ever heard from him had been WAG, I would have probably even changed the channel it was on..:cool:.. except if I'd heard the speaking parts, too..

My thoughts exactly Suzie.

It strikes me as quite bizarre really that if I had heard WAG first I would have probably have been put off Mika for life...which is crazy when he is SO talented. I just thank my lucky stars that GK was out first:thumb_yello:

My thoughts exactly Suzie.

It strikes me as quite bizarre really that if I had heard WAG first I would have probably have been put off Mika for life...which is crazy when he is SO talented. I just thank my lucky stars that GK was out first:thumb_yello:

Ditto again here. :naughty:

Hello Suzy :huglove: Good to see you. Seriously off topic but did you have a good Christmas/holiday season?

I did, thank you (although hectic and materialistic) but lots of family time.

I hope you enjoyed your Christmas too. :huglove:

I agree with what others are saying about Europe being vital and sometimes launching even American stars, but there are still 300 million westerners living in the US, so "less important" is surely relative. It could never be unimportant, since pretty much half the potential record buying public lives there. Not to mention their influence over western media.

I liked WAG but any song other than GK wouldn't have interested me I don't think. I was on the lookout for British singer-songwriters at the time so maybe I would have gone to see him just for the sake of it, but I would not have been drawn in by Relax, Love Today or Big Girl.

Funny thing is that my Mika site gets most hits from the US:thumb_yello:

I'm finding that with YouTube as well. Maybe because the internet is the only way to see or hear anything about Mika if you live in the states.

I've heard a couple of artists say they are succeeding earlier in Canada as well - Katy Perry and Lady GaGa both mentioned it when they were here. I really think Mika is making a mistake blowing off media exposure in Canada time and time again.

Hmm intereting . I wounder if that is because they saw the UK as such a solid base that it didnt need such promotion :blink:

Interesting ....

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8439029.stm

Edited by FREDDIESDOUBLE

I just thank my lucky stars that GK was out first:thumb_yello:

:bow: I thank my boss and clients for not giving me enough work 3 years ago and I could just sit and listen to Virgin radio on the internet all day that January :naughty:

I would not have been drawn in by Relax, Love Today or Big Girl.

I would have, by all of these and also Lollipop and HE.. :pinkbow: ... not only because of the songs themselves but also because when I heared him sing in a lower range or speak it sounded freakingly familiar :shocked: ...but now all I hear is Mika :blush-anim-cl:

Hmm intereting . I wonder if that is because they saw the UK as such a solid base that it didnt need such promotion :blink:

I guess the promotion would have been enough but I think they were wrong about the tour... I think the acoustic tour without a record in the stores to promote made no sense but took a lot of energy. I mean, I was very happy with it and I will never forget the experience but commercially it really should have supported the album release. I also think that the fact we were familiar with over half of the songs already, took away part of the excitement about the album release....

It was predictable Bad Romance would be huge.....

Susan Boyle is a concept and purchasing her record is basically a statement -almost like purchasing the RAM song for Xmas :cool:

Suzie I think the songs for sorrow thing and its promotion was Mikas "folly" you know , he even said it would make no money .. and it was SO quirky . I wounder if a lot of the original fan base thought what is this? :shocked:

They made 10,000 copies I think and they are now on sale on Mikasounds ...shame

As a project I like it .. I just wounder if it was tooo early in Mika's career and just a tad "too much"

Hmm intereting . I wounder if that is because they saw the UK as such a solid base that it didnt need such promotion :blink:

Interesting ....

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8439029.stm

I would also like to point out that Lady GaGa's music videos are on the music channels all the time. I could watch Bad Romance on..say, Smash Hits, then flip over to The Box and the same video would be on.

I have only seen Rain TWICE on TV and I do quite a fair amount of music channel surfing (:naughty:) and the only reason why I saw Rain was because the Box done half an hour of "I am: Mika", where they played all his music videos. Even Lollipop and Relax.

However, this was before Rain was even released. On every song it had the chart position on TV but when Rain came up it just said N/A and didn't even say when the release date was.

I also think music channels are to blame here...

I would also like to point out that Lady GaGa's music videos are on the music channels all the time. I could watch Bad Romance on..say, Smash Hits, then flip over to The Box and the same video would be on.

I have only seen Rain TWICE on TV and I do quite a fair amount of music channel surfing (:naughty:) and the only reason why I saw Rain was because the Box done half an hour of "I am: Mika", where they played all his music videos. Even Lollipop and Relax.

However, this was before Rain was even released. On every song it had the chart position on TV but when Rain came up it just said N/A and didn't even say when the release date was.

I also think music channels are to blame here...

Yes .. Interesting also how black eyed peas are 3 of that top 10 ... , they went away for a while and Fergie did her own thang .....

I really think Mika just needs a good solid 3rd album and we will be ok .. :thumb_yello:

Lady ga ga has had massive promotion , has she got "thing"? hasnt she .. shes been all over the place

Also no sign of Robbie .. been away for a while .. and hmmmmm ...

Yes .. Interesting also how black eyed peas are 3 of that top 10 ... , they went away for a while and Fergie did her own thang .....

I really think Mika just needs a good solid 3rd album and we will be ok .. :thumb_yello:

Lady ga ga has had massive promotion , has she got "thing"? hasnt she .. shes been all over the place

Also no sign of Robbie .. been away for a while .. and hmmmmm ...

Yeah Black Eyed Peas are pretty massive. I often see "I've Got A Feeling" and "Meet Me Halfway" on the music channels.

I resisted the monster world of Lady GaGa for ages, but in the end "she ate my heart and then she ate my brain" and now I'm another monster in her monster collection. I have her album and I'm addicted :aah:

I do also see Robbie's video on the music channels...I don't know the name, but he's dressed up as a rabbit in it. "Siiiince yoooou weeent awaaay my heart breaks..."

I still think the timing of the album release and the Uk tour were a little odd. I honestly expected them to be closer together. Maybe the tour will kick start sales again. I still can't believe what happened with Rain and I do wonder if it will be re released at some point and do a 'Relax'. It would be nice if it did. Ken Bruce played Blame it on the girls on Radio Two this morning BTW :thumb_yello:

@Freddie I don't mind Mika's "follies" like Gertrude - should that story be true...:naughty:

I only mind energy lost on something that does not bring clear benefits... And here I am talking about media coverage. I think he did get some good press coverage during the tour but he only had an EP out that was not available in the stores and by the time the album came out it all was already forgotten.