Is "We Are Golden" a plagiarism song???

I'd just like to state that when I first joined here I didn't introduce myself and my first post was about how gorgeous Mika was and how much I wanted his babies.

:roftl::roftl:

And here I am two years later with lots of lovely friends :wub2:

...and what has changed, exactly....??? :aah:

Just joking :wink2:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so nothing really, but it's not like I go posting around my Mika fantasies anymore :roftl::roftl:

:lmfao:

She just let everyone know that in her first thread:naughty:

I would, but I have no idea where that thread is :roftl::roftl: It was way back in Feb 2007!

:naughty: I was watching some of your threads.. I see that you love to post:blink::naughty: But didnt find the real one..

If Mika didn't credit Cutting Crew for Relax, then it is plagiarism.:wink2: In the case of WAG and Heaven is a place on earth... there are some similarities, but I don't think it's enough to constitute to any copyright issues...

There's no such thing as 'original' work in its true sense anymore these days.. whether we like it or not we all have our influences and that in turn indirectly influences our art..

No need to call anyone names. I don't think it's so weird.

And I still haven't introduced myself. :wink2:

Me neither.:naughty:

And Relax is the same as I just died in your arms tonight:blink: Bad Mika:mf_rosetinted:

No no no! It has ''incorporating elements'' of it.:mf_rosetinted:

This Reminds Me Of What Scott Mills Was Saying On Radio 1 This Morning.. But What He Said It Sounded Like Wasn't "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" It Was Something Like "Love On A Highway"? It Was Called Something Like That... If Anybody Else Heard It This Morning, Do You Know What I Mean?..

But Let's Be Honest, All Artists Copy Other's Artists Songs Here Or There... Maybe Through Just Sound-liking, Sampled Or Covered.. It's Just Really Inspriational Based At The End Of The Day...

This Reminds Me Of What Scott Mills Was Saying On Radio 1 This Morning.. But What He Said It Sounded Like Wasn't "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" It Was Something Like "Love On A Highway"? It Was Called Something Like That... If Anybody Else Heard It This Morning, Do You Know What I Mean?..

But Let's Be Honest, All Artists Copy Other's Artists Songs Here Or There... Maybe Through Just Sound-liking, Sampled Or Covered.. It's Just Really Inspriational Based At The End Of The Day...

Just like Pachelbel's Cannon...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Here is a comparison with other similar song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPhcx9yRs48

If truth be told, I don't know what to think about it. :hypo:

What do YOU think???

I saw this on YT, and posted a comment.

It's no more plagiaristic, to Belindas song, as Jason Donovans, Too Many Lonely Hearts is!

Why is it that when a song comes along, that sounds a bit like another song, people come out of the wood work and cry "plagiarism!"

I saw an article once, that because there has been so much music made in the past 200 years, it's got to saturation point, on how arrangements have started having similar characteristics to other pieces of music from the past.

So, I'm thinking that a lot more music is going to start sounding like past compositions, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. There's only so many variations of musical notes you can have, before you start getting repetition, and I think that time is just about here.

I saw this on YT, and posted a comment.

It's no more plagiaristic, to Belindas song, as Jason Donovans, Too Many Lonely Hearts is!

:thumb_yello: :thumb_yello:you are so right! except that it is BROKEN hearts and not lonely hearts :naughty: I didn't dare to mention it here, but that song is one of the 5-6 that I can also here in it:wink2:

Why is it that when a song comes along, that sounds a bit like another song, people come out of the wood work and cry "plagiarism!"

I saw an article once, that because there has been so much music made in the past 200 years, it's got to saturation point, on how arrangements have started having similar characteristics to other pieces of music from the past.

:thumb_yello:

I think it is very easy to spot plagism. You simply write down the notes and you can visibly see it...In this case, however, the melodies are NOT the same. You can spot simiarities but it's absolutely not a case of plagism:sneaky2:

I also hate when people start singing several songs based on the same chords and call it plagism... (the Pachabel's Canon thing on YT)

IT IS JUST DAMN STUPID. The same chords under different melodies are again not a case of plagism. There are actually much fewer combination of chords you use in music than melodies . Melodies are unlikely to fully resemble unless stolen, but there is limitation of the combination of chords you can use in a song :cool:

Edited by suzie

Influences are everywhere. Mika's words. He'll credit Ms. Carlisle or whoever wrote the other song in the CD booklet and it's all good. It's not like this has not happened before. It works, that's what matters. I wouldn't want to speculate if it happened on purpose or just intuitionally as it doesn't matter much to me. Plagiarism isn't such a dirty word anymore nowadays and some songs are just too good to never touch them again. While admittedly, there are some which are not to be touched.

Edited by violet_sky

Alright,

This post was created so that it could be discussed in a sensible manner, meaning that we have no right to call people "wierd" because they are asking a question that is all on our minds.

Of course it would have been better to intruduce ones self on the introductions forum but hey, too bad, whats done is done, so theres no need to start criticizing this person who made this thread.

Secondly, No matter what people say, if people think that their is a similarity between the two songs, then their obviously IS.

So no hard feelings between anyone.

Love Today:thumb_yello:

:naughty:

I'll say that i thought it sounded familiar when i first heard it, but I couldn't place the other song so alas I decided that I was probably just remembering the snippets Mika gave us in his blogs.

Seeing this, however, I still don't believe there is plagiarism. It is a fairly common chord progression found in more songs other than WAG and heaven is a place on earth. I think WAG fun, upbeat and entertaining, while HIAPOE (ha, funny acronym:teehee:) is meloncholy, kind of happy but mellow.

Yay!:thumb_yello:

I feel the need to add also, that in reding the book "how to read literature like a professor" there is a chapter called "there is only one story" about how literature has been so looked over that there is no more room for complete originality - in essence, everything has been written. The same may go for music, a chord progression here or there may match one of "this" song while one there may match one of "that other song" and so on. You just have to enjoy the different ways they have been put together because every chord, every note as been used before. yay again!

Edited by LadyGodiva

I'd just like to state that when I first joined here I didn't introduce myself and my first post was about how gorgeous Mika was and how much I wanted his babies.

:roftl::roftl:

And here I am two years later with lots of lovely friends :wub2:

and still thinking "how gorgeous Mika was and how much I wanted his babies." lol.

has sara1002911 left now? :naughty: she hasn't said much since her first posts, what I don't understand is why she felt the NEED to come to MFC actually JOIN it and make this her first post, it comes across as kinda hostile and I think that is what got some peoples backs up a little. It's hard to be welcoming to what appears to be a bit of hostility just for the sake of it, I expect there is a deeper reason, we may never find that out though.

and YES I do hear a vague similarity but it doesn't bother me, I hear similarity's all the time these days with many artists, I just can't see the point to making a huge deal about it.

From me one rough Russian saying is pulled out. I become aggressive. I am possible shall swear a little? It not our person. For the sake of this lousy sensation it was registered here and in youtube. Only for the sake of it. To play a dirty trick and take pleasure. Was not too lazy. There are such people

Forgive me Mikafriends, I was rough.:shocked:

Yikes. "Plagiarism" is a strong word - especially used in the title of the thread, but I suppose it got some attention.

Perhaps "familiar", "similar" or "reminds me of" might have been better terms to use to at the MIKA Fan Club. :teehee:

But "hello" and "welcome". :biggrin2:

She does not love Mika! Unless you do not see?? I am assured, she ransacks in an Internet in searches of other forums to distribute video.

There are such people which tear off wings of flies to look, that will be further. Not from a harm, but with curiosity. Here again too. To us have thrown a stick to look at our reaction.

Ah yes, welcome...