Mika - Blackpool Sept 5th 09 - RSVP list

FREDDIESDOUBLE

The thing with this, is that I'm not sure everyone is getting the fact that it's NOT a Mika gig per se.

It's a Radio 2 music night, that he just happens to be performing at, with 4 other artists.

And the reason it's for UKers only is that we are the ones paying the licence fees, we are the ones that count towards audience figures etc etc. It's all about business.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink:

Don't get your 'logic'. The 'tickets' Mikasounds and MFC offered were not exclusively for UK residents. The tickets i-tunes was offering might have been, but artists performing were allocated a number of tickets to give away to fans and it was their choice to apply any restrictions. Team Mika didn't..

What's your problem? :blink:

As for this Raido2 gig in Blackpool, it is sponsored by the BBC, in other words, taxpayers' money, so I fully understand it is for UK only, otherwise Miss Taxpayer would be annoyed. :naughty:However, on the odd chance of Team Mika also offering the chance for a certain number of MFCers to attend, I don't think anyone abroad should feel guilty when applying for it. I wouldn't for this one, but I don't see why anyone shouldn't. :wink2:

Licence payer, licence payer! And I really would be surprised if they gave mikasounds any tickets for a bbc thing.. Expect for his personal guests of course.

Licence payer, licence payer!

Oh, I actually thought that the licence fee was abolished some years ago. :blink: I thought it is taxpayers now... :blink:

:lmfao: well I don't think it's all down to Mika. I would thank the £ v the Euro and $ for that. :naughty:

I meant people from foreign land travelling to their favourite city in the world to be able to practice the language and soak in the culture :pinkbow: ... (nothing to do with that curly haired boy)

Edited by suzie

I meant people from foreign land travelling to their favourite city in the world to be able to practice the language and soak in the culture :pinkbow:

Not Mika fans loving London because Mika lives here? But otherwise wouldn't give a damn. :teehee: That doesn't include all Mika fans obviously, some did love London BM (Before Mika):wink2:

Not Mika fans loving London because Mika lives here? But otherwise wouldn't give a damn. :teehee:

:dunno:

I am speaking for myself only... I have been in love with British culture since the of 15 - a time when our boy still lived in Paris and wore bow ties to school. :pinkbow:

Not Mika fans loving London because Mika lives here? But otherwise wouldn't give a damn. :teehee: That doesn't include all Mika fans obviously, some did love London BM (Before Mika):wink2:

:roftl:

I love this phrase....

London BM felt empty....

Edited by suzie

Not Mika fans loving London because Mika lives here? But otherwise wouldn't give a damn. :teehee:That doesn't include all Mika fans obviously, some did love London BM (Before Mika):wink2:

Well thank you!:biggrin2:

There is a thing or two to love about London except from Mr M!:naughty:

Anyone want me to make a list!:wink2:

Not likely to happen, as it's a Radio 2 show, the only spare tickets would go to people connected to the station.

The acts may get tickets for family or record company employees, but fans wouldn't get a look in on this one.

And just for the record, when similar competitions happen in other countries, and UK residents can't enter. I can't say I've noticed this begging for tickets from this end. We accept that tickets are allocated to only residents to that country.

I know we all want to go to every single show he does ( and he certainly wants us to go, it seems), but sometimes we are going to be disappointed. So why does this happen when a UK only competition is announced?

Sorry, don't want to put anyones back up, or nose out of joint, just want a bit of balance.

I didn't consider my question as begging.....(you might not referred to mine anyway)....but sorry if it sounded like that. ...I guess we foreigners were just like: "Wooo, another Win a Ticket chance", and as I missed the one for Itunes, I thought I would try to apply for this one...

I've never seen Meeks live so these win a ticket things always make me excited.

I absolutely didn't notice it is for UK only, until you pointed out it's COUNTY not country, but that's my bad, I only had a fast first look at everything.

Anyway

I don't feel this UK only thing unfair...I totally understand it!!!!

However I feel the reactions of some UK fans unfair when they think of foreigners like aliens.... like we shouldn't be there. Are we less of a Mika fan?:blink:

What if the Parc des Prince show was France only?... it wasn't and I don't think anyone in France looked at anyone from other countries like 'less of a Mika fan' just because you were not French.

There shouldn't be a difference between UK fans and others. English is spoken everywhere, and obviously if I had a chance to choose between a German show and a UK one, I would definitely choose the UK one to go to...even though Germany is closer than the UK. I love your country, and many foreigners do too, and I guess we feel a bit more secure in a place where we speak the language.

I thought I just would share my point of view too. :original:

oh yes double celebration haha:naughty::naughty: i really hope we get the tickets i couldnt sleep last night for thinking about no getting tickets:aah: its worse when he is coming to where i live and i cant even see him, lets hope the nightmare doesnt come true:thumb_yello: probs another sleepless night tonight... mika is worth losing sleep over though sometimes haha:naughty:

Oh, I actually thought that the licence fee was abolished some years ago. :blink: I thought it is taxpayers now... :blink:

Oh no. As well as normal taxes, the BBC ask for over £120 a year just for the pleasure of watching their channels and listening to their radio. But, I do like the BBC, so...probably worth it.

I still don't care all that much about London even Post Mika :naughty:. It is too far away from where I live. This is why it's nice when he performs in the North of England. Not all UK fans live within half an hour of London or have pots of money lying around to fork out for expensive trains and accommodation. For what it costs me to go to a London gig I may as well go to Spain or France to see him, there's really hardly any difference in price.

N.B. Not directing the above comment at you Babs & suzie, by the way, it's just a general observation etc etc blah blah.

In fact even just going to this Blackpool thing will cost me more than I can really afford at the moment so part of me is hoping I don't win, but nah, I still would like to win :naughty:.

Nope us law abiding tv watchers still pay the licence which includes all BBC services.

Even those of us that don't get the priviledge of viewing their services:shocked:. I get absolutly NOTHING through my terestial TV ariel and when I complained that I still had to pay they said 'We don't guarentee a picture':shocked:

Reading people's reactions in these threads makes me not want to come to London again ever. But I guess that was the aim, so all good :dunno:

Nothing is aimed at anyone in particular Kata or Suzie who I feel thinks I want a personal feud with her..I DO NOT!!!

My point I feel has not been understood properly. I said I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO GOES if there are spare tickets from the people running the competitions...but you can't expect that the MFC to go to the record company and get EVERYONE tickets who are fans and want to go to every gig in the UK! (or any country for that matter!) You can complain and moan all you want!

I may be wrong but IMO the whole Ticket Fairy.. was a one off! and people should be grateful that those who wanted them got them!..BECAUSE THERE WERE SPARE TICKETS!

..Like the ice cream and doughnuts..just because one set of fans gets something doesn't mean everyone should EXPECT it. If it happens good if not don't get upset about it!

The reason I mentioned the point on the Itunes thread FYI Suzie ...as to win it was stated in the rules that you did have to be a UK resident...I thought it unfair if people were gonna be in the standby queue and not get in.(obviously you never read that!!!!)

It was only because there was a possibility that the record company could get some extra tix for this particular gig that everyone from far and wide decided to come too and then record company made their own rules!

I just feel it is unfair as there have been gigs in other countries (only for that certain country) and the UK fans (that I know of) have not taken it upon themselves to expect a ticket or moan that he spends more time in that country than another.

I am not meaning to discriminate any fans and that the UK fans are better than others.. REALLY I'm NOT!

...and if the PDP gig was only for the French (as was mentioned in this thread earlier) I for one would have just accepted that. The thing to remember is that gig was open to all, not only for competition winners! Like the two last ones here have been ...In fact even if it was ...I won a competition (that was open to everyone) so I still would have been going!!!

This Blackpool gig more than any other recent one will be more luck of the draw and I will be amazed if ANYONE UKer's or not get tickets as it is not just MIKA, it is Pixie Lott, Newton Faulkner, Daniel Merriweather and Will Young.. The tix will be VERY limited I expect. They ALL have their own fans and family who want to attend.

I just think that being a fan from wherever you come from, you need to understand and respect that shows happen in places that tix aren't available to all and some people are gonna not be able to go. That is just a fact.

xx

Even those of us that don't get the priviledge of viewing their services:shocked:. I get absolutly NOTHING through my terestial TV ariel and when I complained that I still had to pay they said 'We don't guarentee a picture':shocked:

Ha! Yeah! we don't even have a TV ariel all goes through Sky but still have to pay the fee. never thought that before that shouldn't have to pay! :teehee:

xx

I didn't consider my question as begging.....(you might not referred to mine anyway)....but sorry if it sounded like that. ...I guess we foreigners were just like: "Wooo, another Win a Ticket chance", and as I missed the one for Itunes, I thought I would try to apply for this one...

I've never seen Meeks live so these win a ticket things always make me excited.

I absolutely didn't notice it is for UK only, until you pointed out it's COUNTY not country, but that's my bad, I only had a fast first look at everything.

Anyway

I don't feel this UK only thing unfair...I totally understand it!!!!

However I feel the reactions of some UK fans unfair when they think of foreigners like aliens.... like we shouldn't be there. Are we less of a Mika fan?:blink:

Hehe, sometimes I feel like an alien having to struggle so much with one of the most common languages on earth!:biggrin2:

What if the Parc des Prince show was France only?... it wasn't and I don't think anyone in France looked at anyone from other countries like 'less of a Mika fan' just because you were not French.

There shouldn't be a difference between UK fans and others. English is spoken everywhere, and obviously if I had a chance to choose between a German show and a UK one, I would definitely choose the UK one to go to...even though Germany is closer than the UK. I love your country, and many foreigners do too, and I guess we feel a bit more secure in a place where we speak the language.

I thought I just would share my point of view too. :original:

Of course we do!:wink2:

We (they) have this discussion every time. I guess the best thing to do is to just don't care about it!?

The best gig for me was in Madrid last summer, it was really magical :wub2: although I don't speak the language at all!

I like your post, you make a lot of good points!:thumb_yello:

Reading people's reactions in these threads makes me not want to come to London again ever. But I guess that was the aim, so all good :dunno:

Just ignore it, it's not worth to even bother!:roftl: Sorry UKers!:biggrin2:

I know I'm missing the point here, tax payers and all!:teehee:

Edited by sienna

I still don't care all that much about London even Post Mika :naughty:. It is too far away from where I live. This is why it's nice when he performs in the North of England. Not all UK fans live within half an hour of London or have pots of money lying around to fork out for expensive trains and accommodation. For what it costs me to go to a London gig I may as well go to Spain or France to see him, there's really hardly any difference in price.

I still like London though it has changed a lot in the past 10 years. It is kind of 'international' now... I mean, some of the 'Britishness' that still existed in London in the nineties is gone now...and I do miss it.:emot-sad:

As for the amount of money and time spent on these trips, I understand you completely. Timewise probably I get to London sooner than some fans from Norh of England / Scotland...

As W.C. Fields said:

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally. :mf_rosetinted:

Not trying to start any drama, but in the past the foreigners going to the UK has been condemned for coming to London at normal gigs because some of the UKers felt it was 'their' gig and we were not welcome. I felt offended because I happened to be there at the time.

But whenever UKers are coming to other countries, we don't say anything about it. Now I get when it's UK residents only who can apply for tickets, it should be UK residents only, but just saying that foreigners are not always as welcomed by the UKers at UK gigs as the other way around.

I just think that being a fan from wherever you come from, you need to understand and respect that shows happen in places that tix aren't available to all and some people are gonna not be able to go. That is just a fact.

xx

I understand that you didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings...:naughty:

I don't think any of us didn't understand this was a UK only thing. (maybe there were some....on other threads? :dunno: )

We were just disappointed I guess...but that's natural.....Personally I totally understand that the tix are very limited, and that it's not a huge show....it's totally okay...

What's more...I also understand that you feel Mika "yours" just like Mika feels UKers more like "his". And this is the same with the French. If he was Hungarian I would feel him more "mine"....I guess you know what I mean.

So it's not probs...we just don't want to feel like less of a Mika fan just coz we aren't born to be British or French or...etc...see? It's just so not nice.

Hehe, sometimes I feel like an alien having to struggle so much with one of the most common languages on earth!:biggrin2:

Of course we do!:wink2:

We (they) have this discussion every time. I guess the best thing to do is to just don't care about it!?

The best gig for me was in Madrid last summer, it was really magical :wub2: although I don't speak the language at all!

I like your post, you make a lot of good points!:thumb_yello:

Yeah, I'm trying to "not care" but it's hard...I know there are MANY people who don't care where we are from, and they don't care about the accent and stuff...

I just don't get why some people (not especially MFC members , in general I mean) feel like OFFENDED when they realize I'm from another country...

It should be natural to feel glad if foreigners were happy to come you YOUR country. At least that's how I feel....if I got to meet a Mika fan who came here from another country...or just anyone who comes here from another country...and maybe even learns a few hugnarian words...I would feel happy, not offended like: "Ha, what do you want here, you can't even pronounce "either" right!"

We are all after all...human beings...

And I'm not directing this message to ANYONE here, I said this in general, based on my own experiences (not from a Mika concert though).

I guess I'm being a bit off topic...?

Edited by Zsina