• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, sorry, I have a question. I'm learning Italian (only just started, so no way I ask in Italian), and first I had a self-teaching book but now I'm taking lessons. They're contradicting each other: one says "we are here" is "siamo qui", the other says it's "sTiamo qui".:blink: Now who's right?

Umm, sorry, I have a question. I'm learning Italian (only just started, so no way I ask in Italian), and first I had a self-teaching book but now I'm taking lessons. They're contradicting each other: one says "we are here" is "siamo qui", the other says it's "sTiamo qui".:blink: Now who's right?

we are here = siamo qui

siamo, from verb 'essere'

stiamo, from verb 'stare' which can be traslated into 'to be' as well, but quite colloquial.

'stare' can be translated into 'to stay' also.

suggestions ppl? nezza?

(nezza is a british living in italy :wink2:)

Edited by robertina

we are here = siamo qui

stiamo, from verb 'stare' which can be traslated into 'to be' as well, but quite colloquial.

suggestions ppl? nezza?

So, basically, both are ok, right?

Thanks!:thumb_yello:

Maybe I'll take a look in here when the lessons are finished...to see if it was worth anything:roftl:

Edited by robertina

So, basically, both are ok, right?

Thanks!:thumb_yello:

Maybe I'll take a look in here when the lessons are finished...to see if it was worth anything:roftl:

i'm glad you like my language MissPie!

yes please, come back and you can practise with us!

torna presto! :bye:

Ciao a tutti :bye:

we are here = siamo qui

suggestions ppl? nezza?

I was thinking about this last night :original: If I remember correctly, I learnt it with the English meaning of to stay/to remain as well as to be; but there are other Italian verbs with the same English meaning that are used more often than 'stare'. For the meaning 'to be' it depends on the context, the way I use it more often is when I don't feel well - 'sto male' or 'non sto bene'; but like Robi said, it has more of a colloquial feel.

It's first thing in the morning, I hope that makes sense :naughty: See you in Munich MissPie, I've been learning German for the past 9 months (self-teaching) it'll finally be a chance to put it to use!! :original:

Edited by robertina

Ciao a tutti :bye:

I was thinking about this last night :original: If I remember correctly, I learnt it with the English meaning of to stay/to remain as well as to be; but there are other Italian verbs with the same English meaning that are used more often than 'stare'. For the meaning 'to be' it depends on the context, the way I use it more often is when I don't feel well - 'sto male' or 'non sto bene'; but like Robi said, it has more of a colloquial feel.

It's first thing in the morning, I hope that makes sense :naughty: See you in Munich MissPie, I've been learning German for the past 9 months (self-teaching) it'll finally be a chance to put it to use!! :original:

oh thanks nezza

i was confusing stand with stay...i'm going edit my post :thumb_yello:

Edited by robertina

si Roby, infatti!

pero' io diciamo ke io i primi concerti nn li ho fatti perché ancora nn ero ancora SUA fan.Mi piaceva GK ma tutto li. Sono arrivata un po' "tardi":aah:

Pero' quando LUI era al WAVE a Firenze io andavo a comprare il biglietto per Bologna:wub2: Me lo ricordo ancora come se fosse adesso. :blush-anim-cl:

non posso che darti ragione :shocked:

poi da me la rubano pure quindi...immagini con che ansia sto???

Ti capisco, non si sa mai... Pensavo di spedirli alla mamma, però ci sarebbe stato il problema di raccoglierli da lassù :boxed:

ho scritto al ragazzo su twitter chiedendo delucidazioni sul gig che sembra aggiunto il 1° marzo a Londra....dite che risponderà?!?!?!? :mf_rosetinted:.... ma io dico: non poteva cantare sabato e domenica?!?!?!?....perchè domenica e lunedì?!?!?!? :aah:.... forse lo so perchè: non ci vuole più intorno! :naughty:

ho scritto al ragazzo su twitter chiedendo delucidazioni sul gig che sembra aggiunto il 1° marzo a Londra....dite che risponderà?!?!?!? :mf_rosetinted:.... ma io dico: non poteva cantare sabato e domenica?!?!?!?....perchè domenica e lunedì?!?!?!? :aah:.... forse lo so perchè: non ci vuole più intorno! :naughty:

sono nera come un camino sporco

:hair::mad3::furious: