Mika makes no 30 in the AfterElton Poll!

babspanky

OK I'll take back the "#1" :wink2:

What surprised me was that there's a competition even on the issue who's more gay/be :blink:. MIKA does touch upon the sexual minority topic (among others) in his music, but does he really "pave the way for many others like them"?

Yes I am a bit surprised he's included here because of the criteria.

We simply tried to assemble a list of those artists we feel have been both successful in their careers while also raising awareness toward gay rights issues and giving back to the community in which they belong.

Well Mika has been successful in his career, but I am not sure how he's raised awareness towards gay rights issues? :dunno:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't find John Barrowman on that list!:blink:

Maybe they have to do their own music?

He does a lot for the gay community.

Maybe he's classed as primarily an actor?

I do think the criteria is a little dubious although they say they've considered it carefully.

I couldn't find John Barrowman on that list!:blink:

Maybe they have to do their own music?

He does a lot for the gay community.

Wasn't the guy at #49 an actor?

*goes back to check*

Yes I am a bit surprised he's included here because of the criteria.

We simply tried to assemble a list of those artists we feel have been both successful in their careers while also raising awareness toward gay rights issues and giving back to the community in which they belong.

Well Mika has been successful in his career, but I am not sure how he's raised awareness towards gay rights issues? :dunno:

If you add to this the following phrase

We also decided to rule out those artists whose sexuality was often rumored to be gay, but have never been confirmed by the artists themselves

then it's even more surprising. MIKA has never confirmed he was gay of bi. Saying "Call me whatever you want. Call me bisexual, if you need a term for me" is not a confirmation of his orientation. I interpret this as his reluctance of talking about the issue, but since the sexuality of celebrities is a question of interest for the yellow media, he simply says that if they need to label him somehow, they are free to do so.

We also decided to rule out those artists whose sexuality was often rumored to be gay, but have never been confirmed by the artists themselves

then it's even more surprising. MIKA has never confirmed he was gay of bi. Saying "Call me whatever you want. Call me bisexual, if you need a term for me" is not a confirmation of his orientation. I interpret this as his reluctance of talking about the issue, but since the sexuality of celebrities is a question of interest for the yellow media, he simply says that if they need to label him somehow, they are free to do so.

It's funny how people see things differently. To me, that response is an open and crystal clear affirmation wich equals saying: I am bisexual :dunno:

maybe they think mika is not gay enough:mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao:

Maybe he needs to take some lessons from people like Adam Lambert or something :roftl:

si,lo que le faltaba... que le dieran clases.... :aah: :aah:

sorry but i don´t know how to write that in english.....

:roftl: "lo que le faltaba" is impossible to translate to English without losing its spirit :blink:

oh c´mon!!!! i understand now why mika is not the number 1!!!! they have chosen the wrong pic!!!!

THIS IS THE PIC THEY NEED TO PUT MIKA #1

stream.php?type=image&source=site&size=large&hash=c997108b92837f&username=delilah&key=x.jpg

Oh nooo, the evil granny curls again :aah: I thought we'd never have to see those again:naughty:

:roftl: "lo que le faltaba" is impossible to translate to English without losing its spirit :blink:

Oh nooo, the evil granny curls again :aah: I thought we'd never have to see those again:naughty:

and there are people who still miss his curls!! :aah: I prefer now his short hair... and about the pic.. well,I´m sure he could reach #1 with it.

It's funny how people see things differently. To me, that response is an open and crystal clear affirmation wich equals saying: I am bisexual :dunno:

Maybe he needs to take some lessons from people like Adam Lambert or something :roftl:

You see to me, this was never a crystal clear affirmation of anything. To me he was clearly saying " call me bisexual if you need a term for me, interpret it as you wish but I am not telling you anything"

I think he was just being clever with words whilst commiting himself to nothing at all.

oh c´mon!!!! i understand now why mika is not the number 1!!!! they have chosen the wrong pic!!!!

stream.php?type=image&source=site&size=large&hash=c997108b92837f&username=delilah&key=x.jpg

@basicamenteyo great find! :lmao:

I actually think that by addressing such issues in his songs in an intelligent way supports the gay agenda much more than those being very vocal about their sexual identity and, at the same time, using the opportunity to target that particular segment with their music.

You see to me, this was never a crystal clear affirmation of anything. To me he was clearly saying " call me bisexual if you need a term for me, interpret it as you wish but I am not telling you anything"

I think he was just being clever with words whilst commiting himself to nothing at all.

I disagree :wink2:. If he wanted to not say anything, he would say exactly that. "I am not willing to comment on that" or similar would be an easy and polite way to get out of it. By saying to the person that if they need to label him, they can use the 'bi' tag, he is admitting that he likes men and women and is therefore not straight :dunno:

If I was asked that question, I would never say "call me bi if you need a definition", because I am not into women at all, so I would not want anyone to label me as that. By saying that they can call him that if they need to label him, he is clearly stating his preferences :dunno: I agree that he is saying that he himself doesn't need a label for himself, but he is also very clearly saying that he is into men.

Oh, and not to mention the fact that he's being interviewed for a gay mag, which is not something that gay artists who are in the closet and have no intention of coming out would do, I don't think :blink:.

Even if there was any ambiguity in the "call me bisexual" statement he has reiterated it several times since by clearly stating that he could fall in love with a man or a woman. We can have philosophical discussions ad nauseam about the value (or lack thereof) in labels, but that is the definition of bisexuality. If he is not in fact bisexual then he has misrepresented himself IMO.

I disagree :wink2:. If he wanted to not say anything, he would say exactly that. "I am not willing to comment on that" or similar would be an easy and polite way to get out of it. By saying to the person that if they need to label him, they can use the 'bi' tag, he is admitting that he likes men and women and is therefore not straight :dunno:

If I was asked that question, I would never say "call me bi if you need a definition", because I am not into women at all, so I would not want anyone to label me as that. By saying that they can call him that if they need to label him, he is clearly stating his preferences :dunno: I agree that he is saying that he himself doesn't need a label for himself, but he is also very clearly saying that he is into men.

Oh, and not to mention the fact that he's being interviewed for a gay mag, which is not something that gay artists who are in the closet and have no intention of coming out would do, I don't think :blink:.

Well you see that is where you and I differ. I don't much care what people think about certain things and if someone asked me that question I am likely to reply in that way. Especially if I don't care about that person and they were being intrusive.

In fact I have done that in the past.

We are both assuming Mika means what we would mean should we be asked that question.

So it's still in the balance as far as I am concerned. Either of us could be right. Or neither.

Even if there was any ambiguity in the "call me bisexual" statement he has reiterated it several times since by clearly stating that he could fall in love with a man or a woman. We can have philosophical discussions ad nauseam about the value (or lack thereof) in labels, but that is the definition of bisexuality. If he is not in fact bisexual then he has misrepresented himself IMO.

Has he said that? I don't read half of the stuff he says these days. If he has then I take your point but personally I never found the original statement conclusive in any way.

:teehee:

I have always understood his words that gender means nothing to him. That it doesn't matter if a person is a man or woman. But it can be just a way to avoid a discussion about it, because his songs speak differently, imo, but I think we all see them differently.

Has he said that? I don't read half of the stuff he says these days. If he has then I take your point but personally I never found the original statement conclusive in any way.

This came out over the wire and was published everywhere. I can't remember if there was an original source for it, but maybe someone else does. I agree about the original statement. I found it ambiguous at the time but I also agree with Sara that he successfully avoided this topic altogether for years and if he really didn't want to answer any questions about it he wouldn't.

"Look, I've always said I can fall in love with a man. I can fall in love with a woman. And I've always said that I have no shame in that. And I don't think there was any negative reaction to what I said coming out as bisexual.

"In fact I don't think there was any reaction," he continued. "I don't think anyone was surprised whatsoever. I don't think anyone gives a s**t. I think people just want me to have a label."

Yes, this is exactly it. He has spelled it out a few times: I can fall in love with a man or a woman.

Crystal clear :thumb_yello:

Well you see that is where you and I differ. I don't much care what people think about certain things and if someone asked me that question I am likely to reply in that way. Especially if I don't care about that person and they were being intrusive.

In fact I have done that in the past.

We are both assuming Mika means what we would mean should we be asked that question.

So it's still in the balance as far as I am concerned. Either of us could be right. Or neither.

He has said it, yes, a few times, which is why I am sure that the bi label comment is genuine. Well, at least as far as him being attracted to men, in my view.

Just as Christine said above.

:teehee:

I have always understood his words that gender means nothing to him. That it doesn't matter if a person is a man or woman. But it can be just a way to avoid a discussion about it, because his songs speak differently, imo, but I think we all see them differently.

You know, I find that hilarious. I've heard many people say that gender doesn't matter to them, etc... Which is fine, I am not saying that it should. Each to their own, etc. But what is a fact is that gender exists, we are male or female (with a few hermaphrodites thrown in for good measure :roftl:) so people will categorise you as bi/gay/straight depending on which genders you are attracted to, and that is that.

It's all very 'modern' and 'arty' to be all like "I don't believe in genders, or stereotypes, or labels" but things are what they are. If you are a man and sleep with men, then you are gay, end of. If you sleep with women too, bi. If you sleep with women only, straight.

I don't see the problem in being categorised, tbh. We are all categorised and labeled in every other plane of life, constantly, all the time. Why not on sexual orientation?

Of course being categorised as something is very different to being attacked for it, but that goes without saying.

I have always understood his words that gender means nothing to him. That it doesn't matter if a person is a man or woman.

oh yes, that is another approach, actually. Do you mean here that it is his own gender that does not matter to him and not merely the gender of his partner?

I like this interpretation. It's different. :teehee:

Archived