I don't "get" Mika. I like his art because it speaks to me. Mika does not speak to me directly through his art. His art hits familiar synapses in my brain that spark images, emotions, etc. that I really enjoy. I do not need to get him to enjoy his work.

Okay, I gotcha. :wink2: Like I said I am not talking about you or anyone else in particular (you either Nina!)

My comment is not just about Mika's work, but his choice in clothes, his taste in music and art, his political commentary, etc. Anyway it's just my opinion.

I think only M can say who gets him...

Well Mika doesn't even know most of the MFCers I speak to on a daily basis except to say hi so I don't think he's going to be able to make that judgement either. :wink2:

No, don't think of it in a sad way! I think it's actually hopeful -- almost like

the singer has had a revelation.

Anyway, that's what I get from it -- it's like a new beginning, and it's

full of hope. And it just amazes. :blush-anim-cl:

yes, he's open and defenseless towards this new love, he's in awe, and when he opens his arms singing it he just melts my heart.

Couldn't agree with you more! I don't think I've ever had that kind of emotional reaction to one of Mika's songs. I really truly love it and I am really not bothered about whether there are more lyrics in the end. As long as the passion is not lost in the production I will be happy. I really think it is one of his best efforts to date.

yeah...all that he wants is another 10 000 of mothers..:lmfao: sorry...I'm just in a mood for being a bit cruel..

I am willing to bet he prefers to the surrogate mothers to the surrogate girlfriends. :naughty:

oh don't worry, we get cruelty on a daily basis...we have broad shoulders :original:

Indeed. :thumb_yello:

Can you read your post with from an outsider's point of view and see the slight bias?:teehee:

I understand that you are very understanding with him (so am I, actually) but if one views it in an objective manner the last thing they start thinking about is what excuse an artist may have for the performance lacking in something. People tend to judge a musical work based on what they hear and not what they think may have happened in the artist's private life that disabled them to do their job properly.

You think so? :teehee:

No, seriously speaking, I'm generally totally happy with what I hear :wub2: Of course his performance is always a bit different, it's supposed to be, that's the whole idea why I want to see many shows. I was referring to moments when he is in the middle of his recording process and busy and he still decides to add a new song to his performance to test it (even he hasn't practiced the lyrics etc). I see it as a bonus if we can hear an early version of his songs and I usually think he hasn't practiced it properly because he didn't have time (maybe he had to be at studio/work with his set or something personal, I don't care).

This is how I think, I don't know if it's biased or not :blush-anim-cl:

No, don't think of it in a sad way! I think it's actually hopeful -- almost like

the singer has had a revelation. Think about the imagery: bursting in

a blood red sky... an idea is revealed, an epiphany. There's a way to lose your head, and disappear, and not return again... The singer has discovered

this person he loves can basically take the mundane world away --

he can leave the world behind and live under water (in what would

otherwise be an impossible environment) because of the love

he receives from his lover. All I see just amazes -- as if the blinders have

been taken from his eyes and now he sees everything clearly... and it

amazes him! :wub2:

Anyway, that's what I get from it -- it's like a new beginning, and it's

full of hope. And it just amazes. :blush-anim-cl:

yes, he's open and defenseless towards this new love, he's in awe, and when he opens his arms singing it he just melts my heart.

I haven't felt such emotions for such a long time...and now he brings them back to me with this amazing song and a bunch of well matched words.

It's like staring at a masterpiece painting, it blows you away.

The way he has to offer this song to the audience is so good.

too much? :naughty:

Awwww, I love the way you two describe it :wub2: And it's good to see you both fangurling!! :naughty:

I love your explanation, Deb, that's it's a new beginning and full of hope! I guess it was "port" thing that was confusing me. It made me think ships. You know, they just stop and continue... (I don't know why had that image in my head :roftl:) But maybe everything is so new and wonderful that he can think only that moment and nothing else!

This song still makes me cry. It's just so beautiful :wub2:

yeah...all that he wants is another 10 000 of mothers..:lmfao: sorry...I'm just in a mood for being a bit cruel..

Yeah, I've noticed that about you. :wink2: Why do you think that is? I mean,

what do you get from it? Being contrary like that? No, wait, don't answer --

it's the wrong thread for it, sorry. :naughty:

oh don't worry, we get cruelty on a daily basis...we have broad shoulders :original:

From so many directions... :teehee:

I love your explanation, Deb, that's it's a new beginning and full of hope! I guess it was "port" thing that was confusing me. It made me think ships. You know, they just stop and continue... (I don't know why had that image in my head :roftl:) But maybe everything is so new and wonderful that he can think only that moment and nothing else!

Well, I have the image of a ship as well, but I'm thinking "you are the

port of MY call" -- as in, YOU are the place I've chosen to stop, you're not

just any old port-of-call that any ship can go to. YOU are MY port. Where I

belong. :dunno:

And, in an unbelievable show of ON-TOPIC-ness and discussing the lyrics

even further :wink2: I would even go on to say

that I do actually think Mika's singing, "You shot... and leaving

me raw" as in "You shot me and you are leaving me here, raw" -- he's

just sort of abbreviated the thought, like he did with the one line from

WAG -- "looking for treasure in the things that you threw, like a magpie..."

Somewhere along the way I recall seeing

handwritten lyrics for this song that said "in the things that you threw

OUT..." but since musically that didn't fit, it seems that OUT got thrown...

out. :naughty: Just like I think some words may have been left out

in that elusive, undecipherable line! BUT... if that is what that line says,

then perhaps the idea is that the lover has left/hurt the singer, leaving

him there raw (which would account for your feeling of sadness, perhaps,

Nina?), and that is what has led to this revelation... that he needs

his lover's love to be able to live... under water, or in whatever difficult

situation he finds himself in. And I guess that's why I need to find out

what that missing lyric is so desperately! :roftl:

Edited by dcdeb

Maybe SNOW landslide? :dunno:

I also hear "a snow landslide"

I have listened carefully and it remains snow in my mind.

(was there snow in Montreal at the time Mika was writing his song?;))

Isn't a snow-landslide just an avalanche? :dunno: (I know, I know: would't fit in the lyrics at all! :))

Edited by AnnaMariaPetra

Anyway it's just my opinion.

I am glad you stated that, I almost thought it was mine. :doh: (:naughty: )

This is how I think, I don't know if it's biased or not :blush-anim-cl:

Of course you are biased. I am biased, too, and so are all his fans.:teehee:. We simply show it differently, I guess, based on our personality, experience and learned ways of handling feedback and expressing opinions.

just sort of abbreviated the thought.. .....

I think some words may have been left out

situation he finds himself in.

My :wub2: goes to Deb now...:

I love the explanations on these parts you point out. I have not considered these before but your interpretation makes perfect sense: Mika's ship cruising from one port to another (sorry, I know it sounds 'funny':naughty:) before he realises that he left his heart at one particular port and is now longing back to that place. Talking about a 'place', I love the title and the whole imagery of the song. In my understanding, living underwater is a state of existence and not merely the act of going under the surface of the water (that is why it should be one word, IMO). It is a state where he does not need air because he breathes love and he can disappear there, never to return to the world again. :pinkbow:

Love the lyrics.

Earlier someone mentioned if it can be considered a masterpiece along with GK, TB or HE. To me, it is already in that category - love both lyrics & music and I think it is the type of song that can be played with a bit musically - recorded and performed live in different arrangements. This is my new Happy Ending :swoon:

Edited by suzie

Isn't a snow-landslide just an avalanche? :dunno: (I know, I know: would't fit in the lyrics at all! :))

:naughty: it was in February & March (he came here twice), so yes, there would have been snow on the ground, but i don't remember a snow storm.

I remember a few days of cold but sunny & lots of rain. :blush-anim-cl:

I went back and forth on this a lot, AMP, and this last video convinced

me that it's SLOW landslide. Especially when you listen with headphones,

you can hear it very clearly.

again Deb, you can write my biography.

tell me when you are ready to start :naughty:

OK, I'll start... Ahem.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times... :naughty:

Yes I remember, we got snowed it at think it started on Sunday going on fully until the Monday. Plenty of snow in February:wink2:

PS you might think I'm crazy to remember the weather back then but it was the weekend my husband planned a surprise bday for me and we had to travel out of town in that weather

Edited by cathouzouf

PS you might think I'm crazy to remember the weather back then but it was the weekend my husband planned a surprise bday for me and we had to travel out of town in that weather

Oh I can remember the exact temperature of every day Mika has been in Toronto in his whole life. :roftl:

belong.

what that missing lyric is so desperately!

Love this post so much Deb!!!! :wub2: It's possible that I saw the song a bit sad also because it's so extremely beautiful, and things like that can fade away. It's difficult to explain, but it's just make the song extra special :swoon:

Of course you are biased. I am biased, too, and so are all his fans.:teehee:. We simply show it differently, I guess, based on our personality, experience and learned ways of handling feedback and expressing opinions.

My :wub2: goes to Deb now...:

I love the explanations on these parts you point out. I have not considered these before but your interpretation makes perfect sense: Mika's ship cruising from one port to another (sorry, I know it sounds 'funny':naughty:) before he realises that he left his heart at one particular port and is now longing back to that place. Talking about a 'place', I love the title and the whole imagery of the song. In my understanding, living underwater is a state of existence and not merely the act of going under the surface of the water (that is why it should be one word, IMO). It is a state where he does not need air because he breathes love and he can disappear there, never to return to the world again. :pinkbow:

Love the lyrics.

Earlier someone mentioned if it can be considered a masterpiece along with GK, TB or HE. To me, it is already in that category - love both lyrics & music and I think it is the type of song that can be played with a bit musically - recorded and performed live in different arrangements. This is my new Happy Ending :swoon:

I know I'm biased, I guess I just try to deny it :teehee: I can be quite understanding generally with people/artist I really like, and Mika is a very special case :roftl:

Hahah, I love your ship explanation! Makes me smile to think Mika cruising around but I understand what you mean, it's a lovely image, and not sad at all.

When I first heard UW it felt as beautiful as I'm Falling and at the same time as hypnotizing as GK when I heard it four years ago, so I think it as a master piece too :wub2:

what that missing lyric is so desperately! :roftl:

Thank you very much!! I think now I´m starting to understand a bit the song... Even though we non-english speakers can get the whole idea it´s quite difficult (at least for me) to understand each and every metaphore.

I hope you´ll be willing to do the same with the next 12 new songs *puppy eyes*

you found something like... "not cooked"?? oh well, I find it romantic. It also means "pure"... I do get this metaphore but my english is not good enough as to explain it :roftl:

I remember this word only from technical English lessons in the context of "raw materials" :blink:

*waits for English people to explain*

Raw means many things. Usually, when it is referring to emotions it means vulnerable; something like wide open, unguarded, completely honest, without holding anything back.

When referring to emotion, it can also mean tender, sensitive, easily hurt, already hurt, and painful.

Within the context of this song, it most likely means vulnerable and sensitive.

It is like the singer was never comfortable with expressing emotion until the singer met this lover. Now, the singer has no emotional defenses and displays no pretense. The emotions the singer feels are unrefined and completely honest. The singer is helpless to feel anything else.

At least, that is what the word raw usually means when it is in a love song.

This is a good explanation! :thumb_yello: I was thinking words like vulnerable and very open, but couldn't explain it like this.