yes, of course you can. However, music and lyrics generating emotional response that most people can associate with (more or less the same) colour is not some special condition only particular people have. Synthesia is completely different. In that condition association of colours with concepts / numbers is arbitrary and not related to emotions.

I am suggesting that the music/colour association IS arbitrary but it happens to correspond to an emotion. Let's say that in your culture 4 is an unlucky number. And because you are a synesthete, you associate the colour purple with the number 4. Therefore you are going to associate purple with bad luck or bad vibes or maybe just fear in general.

yes, of course you can. However, music and lyrics generating emotional response that most people can associate with (more or less the same) colour is not some special condition only particular people have. Synthesia is completely different. In that condition association of colours with concepts / numbers is arbitrary and not related to emotions.

Actually, there is some research about synesthesia between emotions and colors, too. It's one way to scientifically explain why some people claim they can see a person's aura. So there's no colorful energy fields, it's just synesthesia (emotion/feeling -> color) happening. Unfortunately I'm really not an expert, so it's difficult to estimate these source articles. But, tasting shapes is mentioned several times, so I guess I forgive my son's food reviews :roftl:

I have never thought my "color obsession" as a synesthesia, but I have used it a lot. As a child I often closed my eyes and tried to decide what color I feel that moment (it was like a play/game). I guess it's just natural for some people to associate with colors.

Edit: My son describes numbers as personalities as well. I just read that seeing numbers as colors is only one form of synesthesia, seeing them as personalities is another.

Edited by tiibet

I am suggesting that the music/colour association IS arbitrary but it happens to correspond to an emotion. Let's say that in your culture 4 is an unlucky number. And because you are a synesthete, you associate the colour purple with the number 4. Therefore you are going to associate purple with bad luck or bad vibes or maybe just fear in general.

yes, it is possible.

As far as I understand it, the difference between people associating music with colours an the ones having synthesia for real is as follows:

People associating a song with a particular colour or 1-2 colours simply associate an emotion with this song. That's what we were discussing on MFC. I think it is normal.

People with synthesia can see a string of colours, different ones, because for them it is the chords, the tone and the individual height of notes (i.e. melody) that correspond with particular colours. Therefore, they basically see a song like a painting with different tones and colours. For them, it is like a sheet of music is to a musician. I heard this earlier in stories about a Hungarian composer Franz Liszt who was a synesthist.

Edited by suzie

yes, it is possible.

As far as I understand it, the difference between people associating music with colours an the ones having synthesia for real is as follows:

People associating a song with a particular colour or 1-2 colours simply associate an emotion with this song. That's what we were discussing on MFC. I think it is normal.

People with synthesia can see a string of colours, different ones, because for them it is the chords, the tone and the individual height of notes (i.e. melody) that correspond with particular colours. Therefore, they basically see a song like a painting with different tones and colours. For them, it is like a sheet of music is to a musician. I heard this earlier in stories about a Hungarian composer Franz Liszt who was a synesthist.

Yes, I think you are right about sound-color synesthesia. I read that there are many kinds of synesthesia (maybe dozens) and emotion can create a color as well?

Seeing numbers as colors seems to be a quite clear form, but several studies talk about seeing numbers as personalities, too, and that's how my son has always described numbers. I just asked him how he seems them, and he said: "well, seven is gentle, but 8 is very difficult to work with! 4 is cunning, but not as difficult as 8. 21-29 is a group of nasty numbers and 36 is my favorite". I really have never thought numbers like that, lol!

It's nothing abnormal, it's just how some people/brains connect things. But sometimes savant-people can have very strong synesthesia and it can be combined with extraordinary memory.

yes, it is possible.

I think you are going to get people with different levels of severity of synesthesia although maybe what we are talking about is too vague and too "normal" to be a true synesthesia.

I was listening to a podcast discussion about this a few weeks ago and they were saying that feeling empathetic pain is a form of synesthesia. What they described was far more severe than anything I've ever experienced but I definitely feel pain and other sensations by observing or hearing stories about others. I still get this horrible sensation in my foot when I think about Mika's accident in LA and it's been two years.

Seeing numbers as colors seems to be a quite clear form, but several studies talk about seeing numbers as personalities, too, and that's how my son has always described numbers. I just asked him how he seems them, and he said: "well, seven is gentle, but 8 is very difficult to work with! 4 is cunning, but not as difficult as 8. 21-29 is a group of nasty numbers and 36 is my favorite". I really have never thought numbers like that, lol!

It's nothing abnormal, it's just how some people/brains connect things. But sometimes savant-people can have very strong synesthesia and it can be combined with extraordinary memory.

One of my friends sees numbers as simply male or female, so again I think it's a matter of it being stronger (or weaker) as you say.

Marilu Henner (an American actress) has an extraordinary memory and can remember what was happening on any given day of her life. She says that she will see the days pass in front of her like a DVD menu and eventually she can pick it out and focus in. I think this ability to see time as physical space is also a form of synesthesia. But her ability to remember every day of her life is an extremely rare condition and I think there are only half a dozen people in the world who are known to be able to do this.

I think you are going to get people with different levels of severity of synesthesia although maybe what we are talking about is too vague and too "normal" to be a true synesthesia.

I was listening to a podcast discussion about this a few weeks ago and they were saying that feeling empathetic pain is a form of synesthesia. What they described was far more severe than anything I've ever experienced but I definitely feel pain and other sensations by observing or hearing stories about others. I still get this horrible sensation in my foot when I think about Mika's accident in LA and it's been two years.

One of my friends sees numbers as simply male or female, so again I think it's a matter of it being stronger (or weaker) as you say.

Marilu Henner (an American actress) has an extraordinary memory and can remember what was happening on any given day of her life. She says that she will see the days pass in front of her like a DVD menu and eventually she can pick it out and focus in. I think this ability to see time as physical space is also a form of synesthesia. But her ability to remember every day of her life is an extremely rare condition and I think there are only half a dozen people in the world who are known to be able to do this.

Wasn't she married to john Travolta?

Yes, I once read a very interesting article about savant-people, and it said the number of real savants in the world is very limited (for example, it didn't report any person with such abilities in my country). But synesthesia in general is not rare and there are many levels in it. It's also more common with autistic persons (like my son).

yes, there are several people of synesthesia, like tiibet mentions her son has a number related one.

I was talking about music related synesthesia and the way I understand might happen in that one. As music is complex, like language, I really don't think that any one colour can describe a particular piece of work. We (those thinking in a 'normal' / 'standard' way) can describe a song with one colour because we associate an emotion with it and describe that emotion with that colour. Those who have this special 'condition' ( I can even call that a 'gift' I suppose) can see and describe it in a more complex way than merely by one colour. For them, colours are the heights and other characteristics of musical notes, the help of which they can transcribe songs. So it works like a language for them.

Edited by suzie

This is interesting, I have never heard this story before.

Earlier I mentioned something about smells and tastes of songs partly joking but actually I wouldn't be surprised if Mika had some similar ability with scents or colours.

yes, there are several people of synesthesia, like tiibet mentions her son has a number related one.

I was talking about music related synesthesia and the way I understand might happen in that one. As music is complex, like language, I really don't think that any one colour can describe a particular piece of work. We (those thinking in a 'normal' / 'standard' way) can describe a song with one colour because we associate an emotion with it and describe that emotion with that colour. Those who have this special 'condition' ( I can even call that a 'gift' I suppose) can see and describe it in a more complex way than merely by one colour. For them, colours are the heights and other characteristics of musical notes, the help of which they can transcribe songs. So it works like a language for them.

I can still imagine that there would be a simpler form of it, the same way my friend sees numbers as simply male or female and not the entire personalities as Tiibet's son does. I think sounds can be perceived as dark or light, rather than a vivid painting for example. Everyone who feels colours in music is not Liszt just like everyone who might perceive time in a spatial way is not Marilu Henner.

But I'm just hypothesizing. I have not studied synesthesia specifically and in fact it's been a couple of decades since I've studied neurology and psychology so I don't remember much. :aah:

Lady Gaga is listed as a "true synesthete composer/musician" (on American Synesthesia Association's home page) and she says "Poker Face is deep amber colour". I'm sure she is a very talented person but maybe doesn't have this particular gift like some composers listed as well?

Edited by tiibet

Lady Gaga is listed as a "true synesthete composer/musician" (on American Synesthesia Association's home page) and she says "Poker Face is deep amber colour". I'm sure she is a very talented person but maybe doesn't have this particular gift like some composers listed as well?

I think the answer is here:

Everyone who feels colours in music is not Liszt just like everyone who might perceive time in a spatial way is not Marilu Henner.

I don't doubt Lady Gaga has or feels she has synesthesia. One number can equal one colour but one song one colour???:aah: It is one emotion - an one colour that makes sense to me. We are not talking about the same thing. :dunno:

For me Poker Face is something like this :naughty:

869109_kilt_texture.jpg

869109_kilt_texture.jpg

:thumb_yello:

I call you a synesthist from now on.:roftl:

Seriously though, I understand people can see colours when listening to music, reading a book or even when smelling or tasting something. You can call it all synesthesia. My point is only that there must be a difference in the levels that basically comes from either genuinely associating these colours with concepts and emotions or your brain creating a new and complex system with its own rules, similar to a new language that you can later on apply to new sounds/ numbers / visuals in a systematic way.

I don't doubt Lady Gaga has or feels she has synesthesia. One number can equal one colour but one song one colour???:aah: It is one emotion - an one colour that makes sense to me. We are not talking about the same thing. :dunno:

I guess there are just so many levels in synesthesia. Maybe they wanted to list many famous people on their web page so they grouped everything into the same category?

869109_kilt_texture.jpg

:lmfao:

Edited by tiibet

I guess there are just so many levels in synesthesia. Maybe they wanted to list many famous people on their web page so they grouped everything into the same category.

Exactly my point:thumb_yello: I have just replied, before your post:teehee:

can;t get over this song..it is the best best best! gosh I can't stop myself :tears:

I am trying not to burn out on it by listening to it too much but I can't help it :naughty:

:thumb_yello:

I call you a synesthist from now on.:roftl:

Seriously though, I understand people can see colours when listening to music, reading a book or even when smelling or tasting something. You can call it all synesthesia. My point is only that there must be a difference in the levels that basically comes from either genuinely associating these colours with concepts and emotions or your brain creating a new and complex system with its own rules, similar to a new language that you can later on apply to new sounds/ numbers / visuals in a systematic way.

I think the cause of synesthesia is that your wires are getting crossed somehow and you are mixing up your senses. I don't think this has to be an extremely complex system to be abnormal and be caused by a different neurological process than just associating sad songs with blue and love songs with red.

I am categorizing Underwater as a red song based on a number of red images. But there are only 3 of them, compared to all the words of the lyrics in the song. I don't see why you couldn't pick up strong sounds as being red and therefore classify the whole song as red.

But like I said this is just hypothetical and I have no idea why anyone would perceive GK as purple or EMD as green. :roftl: