NRJ Music Awards 2012 - Vote Mika for Pre-nominations!!!

skiwi

But I think citizenship and nationality are different things.

Moreover, earlier he said "half Lebanese half American", bug from 2009 Ive heard several times that he omitted American part.

I guess being an American is a bit controversial these days for some people. I never understood why he didn't play up being an American when he was in the US in 2007 though. They are far more likely to embrace their own, than even a British artist. But being Middle Eastern is particularly alienating for the past decade for obvious reasons.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess being an American is a bit controversial these days for some people. I never understood why he didn't play up being an American when he was in the US in 2007 though. They are far more likely to embrace their own, than even a British artist. But being Middle Eastern is particularly alienating for the past decade for obvious reasons.

I think that's what he likes best- to be counted as an outsider. In England and America where he's a citizen, and in the rest of the English speaking world, he's "half-Lebanese." Only in Lebanon and France does he claim to be "coming home" in some sense- whiich is pretty safe for him, as he doesn't speak either language fluently

So far as record sales are concerned, I'm not sure playing up his American identity would have worked. I don't know America very well, but if the situation was reversed, and someone who'd pretty much lived in America all his life tried to claim some sort of homecoming because his parents were British, we wouldn;t br much impressed. (Come to think, a lot do and we aren't) Mika doesn't come accross as American, so far as I can tell from US MFCers' comments and I don't think he'd give up his weirdness (which would be a bit fakey anyway.) So I think he's better off presening himself as... um, well, French. Or British.

So far as record sales are concerned, I'm not sure playing up his American identity would have worked. I don't know America very well, but if the situation was reversed, and someone who'd pretty much lived in America all his life tried to claim some sort of homecoming because his parents were British, we wouldn;t br much impressed. (Come to think, a lot do and we aren't) Mika doesn't come accross as American, so far as I can tell from US MFCers' comments and I don't think he'd give up his weirdness (which would be a bit fakey anyway.) So I think he's better off presening himself as... um, well, French. Or British.

Mika doesn't come across as American because he spends so much time claiming that he's not :wink2: I agree with you that he is very different now but back in the day he had American hipster written all over him with the skinny jeans and the hoodies, etc. That's what I mean when I say I'm surprised at the direction he's taken with his style. I didn't expect him to dress like a 23 year old his entire life but I thought he would mature in that same vein.

I don't think it has to be presented as any sort of homecoming. Rufus Wainwright is Canadian and American and it's just what he is. Americans pretend he's American and Canadians claim him as one of their own. I think it's the same with Mark Ronson. There is something clearly British about him but he is very connected to the US and its music scene.

Surely Mika is the same? His family is there, his songwriting partner is there, he is producing his albums there with American musicians, etc. At this point he must have spent years of his life in the states. When he was first promoting LICM he really had the airport accent and sounded quite American.

Anyway things have changed in the past 5 years, I'm just surprised he wasn't capitalizing on all of this in 2007. There is a difference between appearing as an outsider in the US as you would if you were British or French and appearing as someone from the Middle East. There has been huge anti-Islamic sentiment in the US and no one is going to stop to learn a lesson about the Lebanese people and their Christianity.

Each time I´ve talked to people who don´t know Mika, and I´ve said "he´s Lebanese", the reply is always the same: "Really??? :shocked: Lebanese? :shocked: Have you got a pic?" I guess we have an "image" or Lebanese people, and Mika doesn´t fit at all. His cousins do, but Mika or his siblings don´t. And it always give a bit of "exotic touch" to his image. I never considered him as American but as European, even though I know he is American... But he has a total london-ish looking nowadays :roftl:

I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "play up" his americanness. But then, insisting he's from somewhere he's barely been is very american. Although I must admit I think he looks more American now than before- his old pics look very glam rock to me.

Yes, he's deffinately changed and become, what I would describe as, more sophisticated. I think he comes accross really as a kind-of "All-things-to-all-men" type of person. I can understand why people think he's French, but also, when he's doing an English interview he seems very English with his wonderful accent. Doing American interviews he comes accross, not exactly as an American, but someone who can fit in there. So I've come to the conclusion that he's something of a chamelian. He can seem like he belongs anywhere he likes. He always makes an effort to speak in the language of whatever country he visits, when he's on the stage and it's something I've always admired him for. He's truly an international star.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, he's deffinately changed and become, what I would describe as, more sophisticated. I think he comes accross really as a kind-of "All-things-to-all-men" type of person. I can understand why people think he's French, but also, when he's doing an English interview he seems very English with his wonderful accent. Doing American interviews he comes accross, not exactly as an American, but someone who can fit in there. So I've come to the conclusion that he's something of a chamelian. He can seem like he belongs anywhere he likes. He always makes an effort to speak in the language of whatever country he visits, when he's on the stage and it's something I've always admired him for. He's truly an international star.

yeah....:original: I could say sth like that ...:wink2:

:yay: Thanks girls!

I'm pretty sure NRJ was trying to avoid foreign votes but we found a way :biggrin2:

I voted from 3 different phone numbers every day and it worked :blush-anim-cl:.And today I tried to make an account on TF1 for watching live the show but they say it's not available for my country,even if I used a French postal code :aah:.

I've got some good news about the NRJ Awards!

Just as I hoped, Mika is also nominated for best French song with Elle Me Dit :yay: They announced it today.

And guess what... it means that he will sing it for sure during the show :biggrin2:

Just as I hoped, Mika is also nominated for best French song with Elle Me Dit :yay: They announced it today.

And guess what... it means that he will sing it for sure during the show :biggrin2:

YEEEEESSSSS!!!!:groupwave:

Good! Hopefully will be able to see it. I know our local radio station will broadcast the best moments on January 30, but I want to see it:wink2:

Oh great! Can't wait :thumb_yello:

Will any of our French fans be lucky enough to be there on the night?

:groupwave:

It would be so great if he could win all three awards :teehee:

:yay:

Hope to watch the show that day!!

awesome!!:yay:

i only wish i'd be able to see it live online :sad:

Archived