Mika at NRJ Music Awards 2012 - 28/1/2012

Miro

i totally get what you're saying and in any case barbados doesn't count, but that song played a LOT here!:boing:

Really? That's very interesting! Do movie songs get played easily there?

Seeing KA music video, Mika put quite loads of effort and expected more than that, but Movie production, UK&US Radio totally ignored that effort. It seems since then Mika started to focus on the France instead... :sad:

But Kick Ass went unnoticed in France too you know...

I was asked to help organise a flashmob on Kick Ass as promo for the film by Universal Holland. Eventually the thing was organised by the film studio and sorry to everyone who did participate, but it was awful. That wasn't good promotion.

Yeah.... when a song for movie is ignored by the movie itself, it's almost impossible to make it hit by itself.... :boxed:

But what I want to say is, When Mika gives france 80, he got more than 100.. but KA clearly showed that in case of US or UK when Mika gives 80, got less than that........

Oh mostly agree on your point of view about KA... I thought, maybe it could be my awkward assumtion, I thought Mika was kinda betrayed by ppl around Kick ass. The Movie production ppl, especially ... :dunno: He wrote the song for movie but never played during the movie but after the ending credit. Seeing KA music video, Mika put quite loads of effort and expected more than that, but Movie production, UK&US Radio totally ignored that effort. It seems since then Mika started to focus on the France instead... :sad:

true... i find it weird too, there isnt even a short instrumental/jingle of KA appearing in the movie, but they call his song the theme song... :blink:

i understand quite a large part of his fans are french/living in france, and the releasing of Elle me dit is kinda a gift (?) for them; but as he has been away for some time... i do think his uk fans and fans from rest of the world would love to have an english single as well... and it is not that he hasnt had any english songs done. i know some places like Korea plays Elle me dit on their radio (if i didnt remember it wrongly), and it's so appreciated and great thing to hear, but for most radios of non-french-speaking areas i believe, they will find playing a french song frequently strange.

i dont know, but just feeling weird... :dunno:

and yes i missed those days he played piano on stage happily too...

not really...not unless it's also popular in the states...the music here is very US-centric...so now i'm wondering how come mika's ever gotten play here at all!:blink:

Yeah.... when a song for movie is ignored by the movie itself, it's almost impossible to make it hit by itself.... :boxed:

But what I want to say is, When Mika gives france 80, he got more than 100.. but KA clearly showed that in case of US or UK when Mika gives 80, got less than that........

Yes,I always asked why MIKA can get more success in France than other place in the world:blink:

I don't think KA got any promotion at all.

it played on Montreal french radio stations simply because they are "Mika friendly".

EMD also had no promotion, but it got alot of airplay in Montreal.

It's a shame that the only people who heard KA at the movies are the ones who hung around to chat with friends or the ones who dropped their popcorn and spent 10 min. picking it up :naughty:

true... i find it weird too, there isnt even a short instrumental/jingle of KA appearing in the movie, but they call his song the theme song... :blink:

i understand quite a large part of his fans are french/living in france, and the releasing of Elle me dit is kinda a gift (?) for them; but as he has been away for some time... i do think his uk fans and fans from rest of the world would love to have an english single as well... and it is not that he hasnt had any english songs done. i know some places like Korea plays Elle me dit on their radio (if i didnt remember it wrongly), and it's so appreciated and great thing to hear, but for most radios of non-french-speaking areas i believe, they will find playing a french song frequently strange.

i dont know, but just feeling weird... :dunno:

and yes i missed those days he played piano on stage happily too...

In Korea EMD did better than I expected... but rarely played on radio because it's french. (sadly radio stations don't play songs that no one can understand) But did well on charts and it's kinda weird..... maybe cuz he can sell songs only by his name here.. (means if its written by Mika, ppl decide to hear it whatever it is.) I really miss English single going top chart in UK and US and other non french speaking countries.

not really...not unless it's also popular in the states...the music here is very US-centric...so now i'm wondering how come mika's ever gotten play here at all!:blink:

I don't know but I think it's great. I wonder if Mika really knows how global he is.

Yes,I always asked why MIKA can get more success in France than other place in the world:blink:

I don't think we'll ever know why he got so much success in France at the beginning. It was a real phenomenon. Why he's still got success here now is easier to define I suppose; we feel there's a real connection, he speaks/sings in French, does big tours here, promo... It's a 'vicious' circle. He 'stays' in France as long as we connect to him and we connect to him because he keeps coming back here.. That's how I would explain things.. :dunno:

The thing that frustrates me with Radio 1, is that they DO play other foreign language songs, and some even get to #1 here.

It just feels like they have this thing against Mika, not all the DJs, but the allegedly "cool" ones like Fearne Cotton and Greg James. And because they have the prime slots during the day, they seem to have carte blanche on what gets played.

They always seem to look down their nose at Mika, which to me is a joke, as they are all over acts like JLS, The Wanted, and anything X Factor related, which I find highly annoying and a joke as they are completely formularic, repetitive and bland. This is what they consider pop music!

I'd say they are Indie orientated, but even the Kaiser Chiefs got the raw end of the deal from them with their current album, they barely played any of their songs.

Radio 1 is now so far up Simon Cowells backside now, anything pop related outside of that, doesn't get a look in. This is why I think he is bad for the music industry, if he doesn't like it, it seems everyone thinks it's rubbish and shuns it, and so many great acts are missing out because of this.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel that Mika is getting the sharp edge of the wedge because of this tunnel vision mentality from the major stations, and that includes the independants. Heart FM never play him either!

I don't know but I think it's great. I wonder if Mika really knows how global he is.

I don't think we'll ever know why he got so much success in France at the beginning. It was a real phenomenon. Why he's still got success here now is easier to define I suppose; we feel there's a real connection, he speaks/sings in French, does big tours here, promo... It's a 'vicious' circle. He 'stays' in France as long as we connect to him and we connect to him because he keeps coming back here.. That's how I would explain things.. :dunno:

or a beautiful circle :wub2:, at least for his french fans...:blush-anim-cl:

yeah....Kick ass is that kind of a song that should be playd loooooud in the crucial moments in the movie! when there's an action!! and repeatidly!!!

and nas don't say barbados doesn't count!!! every country counts!!!! like we say "He belongs to the World...." :original:

Its my personal opinion...but I felt that Mika's songs, his arts are goes well into France, as if he's originally in French culture boundary. I felt more of that from last nights NRJ. In Brit awards he did really good but like a stranger there. but in NRJ, he was like he's in part of that in french culture.

The thing that frustrates me with Radio 1, is that they DO play other foreign language songs, and some even get to #1 here.

It just feels like they have this thing against Mika, not all the DJs, but the allegedly "cool" ones like Fearne Cotton and Greg James. And because they have the prime slots during the day, they seem to have carte blanche on what gets played.

They always seem to look down their nose at Mika, which to me is a joke, as they are all over acts like JLS, The Wanted, and anything X Factor related, which I find highly annoying and a joke as they are completely formularic, repetitive and bland. This is what they consider pop music!

I'd say they are Indie orientated, but even the Kaiser Chiefs got the raw end of the deal from them with their current album, they barely played any of their songs.

Radio 1 is now so far up Simon Cowells backside now, anything pop related outside of that, doesn't get a look in. This is why I think he is bad for the music industry, if he doesn't like it, it seems everyone thinks it's rubbish and shuns it, and so many great acts are missing out because of this.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel that Mika is getting the sharp edge of the wedge because of this tunnel vision mentality from the major stations, and that includes the independants. Heart FM never play him either!

Perhaps we should request his upcoming single a whole lot:naughty:

I don't think KA got any promotion at all.

it played on Montreal french radio stations simply because they are "Mika friendly".

EMD also had no promotion, but it got alot of airplay in Montreal.

It's a shame that the only people who heard KA at the movies are the ones who hung around to chat with friends or the ones who dropped their popcorn and spent 10 min. picking it up :naughty:

Here in Portugal, both KA and EMD didn't have promotion AT ALL, they never played at any radio, and on TV I don't think I ever heard them either.

But the weird thing is, on facebook people keep sharing the videos! Especially EMD, it's something I had never seen with any other Mika video.

And during the gig in Coimbra, where 80% of the audience was not composed by Mika fans, people went crazy with KA and even sang along! :blink:

yeah....Kick ass is that kind of a song that should be playd loooooud in the crucial moments in the movie! when there's an action!! and repeatidly!!!

and nas don't say barbados doesn't count!!! every country counts!!!! like we say "He belongs to the World...." :original:

that made me feel all warm and fuzzy for some reason...:blush-anim-cl: thank you...:wub2:

Not meaning to burst any bubbles, but the majority of your commercial DJ's have nothing to do with the songs that are being played on the radio, regardless of the country. That's what Music Directors are for I'm afraid. And in a commercial setting, it comes down to who your sponsors are, and what connections they have to major labels.

And even in independent stations, where DJ's get to actually program their shows, it all comes down to 'rotation lists'. I used to volunteer at an indie radio here and worked in developing their rotation lists - so basically of all the new music we'd get, the Music Director would listen to, figure out what was the best (rotation A), what was great (B), what was good © etc etc. Then DJs were told that in any hour they'd have to play x amount from list A, x amount from B etc.

It rarely has anything to do with a DJs preference on radio I'm afraid.

He 'stays' in France as long as we connect to him and we connect to him because he keeps coming back here.. That's how I would explain things.. :dunno:

Exactly. And if he ignores the rest of the world then there is no connection. This is what's been happening for 2 or 3 years now. :dunno: I mean obviously you have to go where the money is but he can tour all of France in less than a month. Why has he not performed in the UK or released an English song for YEARS?? It's nuts. Yelle spends more time in the US on one tour than Mika has during his entire career and she doesn't sing English songs at all. You put in little to nothing and that's exactly what you're going to get back.

Perhaps we should request his upcoming single a whole lot:naughty:

We tried that with Kick Ass, and R1 complained to the record company, I assume they thought it was them aggresively plugging it. They didn't understand the concept that Mika does have fans here, and that they want to hear him on the radio!

[media law nerd] And, as much as requesting songs is great and it can help promote emerging artists/new tracks, at the end of the day we are all at the whims of the commercial Music Director. They basically tell the public what they like. :boxed:

SOOOO... it means in France, someone high up liked Mika's stuff (and saw it's commercial appeal). Which is cool if you live in France. :thumb_yello: To my knowledge Elle Me Dit wasn't played here at all - not because it's not a good song, but it doesn't suit our market.

[/media law nerd]

Elle Me Dit was never released in the UK or US and perhaps not Australia either? I think the only reason it was released in Canada was because of our francophone population and wouldn't have been if we were an entirely English speaking country.

Its my personal opinion...but I felt that Mika's songs, his arts are goes well into France, as if he's originally in French culture boundary. I felt more of that from last nights NRJ. In Brit awards he did really good but like a stranger there. but in NRJ, he was like he's in part of that in french culture.

Emm,I think so,I felt MIKA is a little bit far away from UK or US Mainstream market.He's song become hardly to get the high place in the chat.:huh:

Not meaning to burst any bubbles, but the majority of your commercial DJ's have nothing to do with the songs that are being played on the radio, regardless of the country. That's what Music Directors are for I'm afraid. And in a commercial setting, it comes down to who your sponsors are, and what connections they have to major labels.

And even in independent stations, where DJ's get to actually program their shows, it all comes down to 'rotation lists'. I used to volunteer at an indie radio here and worked in developing their rotation lists - so basically of all the new music we'd get, the Music Director would listen to, figure out what was the best (rotation A), what was great (B), what was good © etc etc. Then DJs were told that in any hour they'd have to play x amount from list A, x amount from B etc.

It rarely has anything to do with a DJs preference on radio I'm afraid.

I know for a fact on Radio 1 here, that the DJs do get a say in what gets played, they pass on to the producer of the show what they like, and at the playlist meeting on Wednesdays it gets whittled down to what songs will go on the rotation lists.

So if they don't like a song, it won't make it to the meeting stage, unless the producer likes it, then it stands a chance, as they get a say too.

or a beautiful circle :wub2:, at least for his french fans...:blush-anim-cl:

Oh that's sweet. I said 'vicious' because it's the phrase we use in French. Of course it's nice for French fans, but I'm also a fan without the French part so I want Mika to succeed everywhere.. If it works better in France than anywhere else I like it; but I like that it works elsewhere too!

Exactly. And if he ignores the rest of the world then there is no connection. This is what's been happening for 2 or 3 years now. :dunno: I mean obviously you have to go where the money is but he can tour all of France in less than a month. Why has he not performed in the UK or released an English song for YEARS?? It's nuts. Yelle spends more time in the US on one tour than Mika has during his entire career and she doesn't sing English songs at all. You put in little to nothing and that's exactly what you're going to get back.

The funny thing is that Yelle's last album was a flop here :teehee: