You pick me up, I become your china boy

You let me go, a million pieces on the floor

You clean me up, leave me for the world to see

But did you know, it was you that set me free

I would love to hear the original China boy :teehee:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? I´ve been claiming a reduction of his falsetto since the very beginning, but I loved that song the very first time I heard it live and since it´d been on reply mode in my mp3 player now the album version sounds odd.

Apart from that, don´t you think Mika sounds far better live than in cd?

Yeah I do in general think he sounds better live, just not with this particular song. But have in mind that I haven't actually been there to hear it live yet, ask me again after October 29th :fisch:

Yeah I do in general think he sounds better live, just not with this particular song. But have in mind that I haven't actually been there to hear it live yet, ask me again after October 29th :fisch:

I'l do :aah:

I still think that almost every song sounds better live. Of course all those songs with thousands of arrangements and his voice distorted sound "different" live. Suzie mentioned before "Karen". I still like the live version better :aah:.

Ive once discussed this with a Spanish friend and our final conclusion was that his voice in the recorded songs sounds (and forgive me for this expression) as if it were in a can. Not sure if you have that expression in English too. And live he can "explode".

Sorry,this technicals explanations are hard...LOL

I still think that almost every song sounds better live. Of course all those songs with thousands of arrangements and his voice distorted sound "different" live. Suzie mentioned before "Karen". I still like the live version better :aah:.

Ive once discussed this with a Spanish friend and our final conclusion was that his voice in the recorded songs sounds (and forgive me for this expression) as if it were in a can. Not sure if you have that expression in English too. And live he can "explode".

LOL! :lmfao: My reaction to EMD was that he sounded like he was stuck in a bucket... guess it was a can :doh::naughty: Haven't been to a gig since early 2010 so I haven't heard any of the new stuff live yet :tears: You can't judge it the same way from live videos as the recordings are often kinda dodgy and it's just not really the same as being there :aah:

LOL! :lmfao: My reaction to EMD was that he sounded like he was stuck in a bucket... guess it was a can :doh::naughty: Haven't been to a gig since early 2010 so I haven't heard any of the new stuff live yet :tears: You can't judge it the same way from live videos as the recordings are often kinda dodgy and it's just not really the same as being there :aah:

Yes. I think now we have a date in October 30th :mf_rosetinted:

Ill be the one expecting and youll be the one fangurling,k?? So we can recognise each other..... LOL

Yes. I think now we have a date in October 30th :mf_rosetinted:

Ill be the one expecting and youll be the one fangurling,k?? So we can recognise each other..... LOL

Yep, I'll look like this :fangurl: just with a MFC badge and a "I <3 u Mika" sign :mf_rosetinted:

You pick me up, I become your china boy

You let me go, a million pieces on the floor

You clean me up, leave me for the world to see

But did you know, it was you that set me free

That's so sweet! Thank you for writing them down, couldn't get them myself.

I understand exactly what you mean!

At the same time, I don't think I've ever heard a live performance of EMD that wasn't slightly off-key, and in fact at the beginning of this performance of celebrate he wasn't exactly spot-on either. I don't understand how he can sing a song like relax, which is pretty much impossible to sing, but not EMD.

Yes there is something really tin-canny about EMD and my download from iTunes sounds particularly bad. I hope the CD sounds better than what I've been listening to up to this point.

I think Grace Kelly and WAG sound much better on the record and I don't enjoy them live at all except for the true acoustic version of GK at the points gig. Even the acoustic versions of WAG sound strained.

But then there are songs like Any Other World, Happy Ending and Lady Jane that I would always skip on the album but were the highlights of the gig for me.

One of the reasons I think Celebrate is not a bad choice for a single is that he can pull it off in TV performances. The other thing I noticed with this performance is that it is very much tied into the imagery of the video. He seems to be sort of branding himself again like he did with LICM whereas everything associated with TBWKTM was random and not really relevant. I hope he gives up this 1930s NYC bowler hat scene for the same reason. It doesn't reflect this album or his new image at all.

Well obviously on appearances like this he is going to be performing Celebrate, as it's the single he has to promote.

He is promoting the album, not the single, but my main concern is of course the choice of the first single itself. :teehee:

I think Celebrate represents the sound of the album perfectly adequately.

Well, not to me as I feel this song has been de-Mikafied. Especially the lyrics. I'm glad he came up with / re-added some personal lyrics for this show. Now it is finally clear that the song is more about his return to his bf. I hope he'll sing this version at concerts or even the full original China Boy.:thumb_yello:

He wasn't :no:

he was a great game-show host but his jokes were aways bad :teehee:

I agree with you. He's made a living out of various catchphrases.

Nice ta see ya, ta see ya, niiiiiiiiice

Good game, good game

Didn't e do well!

points mean prizes

He's a boring old stiff who should have retired years ago!

Well, not to me as I feel this song has been de-Mikafied. Especially the lyrics. I'm glad he came up with / re-added some personal lyrics for this show. Now it is finally clear that the song is more about his return to his bf. I hope he'll sing this version at concerts or even the full original China Boy.:thumb_yello:

Yes I was talking about the performance as a whole and not just the track. I don't think anyone is going to see this show and then be shocked when they hear the album. I think it all works.

I totally agree about hoping that he reincorporates China Boy back into this song. This should have been the album version and leave the Pandering-To-The-US-Market Edit as a bonus track. :mf_rosetinted:

Yes I was talking about the performance as a whole and not just the track. I don't think anyone is going to see this show and then be shocked when they hear the album. I think it all works.

Yes, I mean, I only 'complain' because I want the best for him in terms of making the right choices to promote the album. I can live with this song , even the album version, but I do find it funny how for both WAG and this one he decided to add these really great, personal lyrics to the live performances - as if they had to be left out from hte album on purpose, to make the lead single more 'consumer friendly'. I don't think that was his choice though.

I totally agree about hoping that he reincorporates China Boy back into this song. This should have been the album version and leave the Pandering-To-The-US-Market Edit as a bonus track. :mf_rosetinted:

Now I really wonder about the success this song will bring in the US. Promoting the album with the re.written 'Popular' may also be an option. Wicked is famous and popular in the US, isn't it.

Now I really wonder about the success this song will bring in the US. Promoting the album with the re.written 'Popular' may also be an option. Wicked is famous and popular in the US, isn't it.

I don't really know but a friend of mine in LA is a huge fan of Wicked and he loves Mika so he's going to go nuts for this song I think. :naughty:

Yes there is something really tin-canny about EMD and my download from iTunes sounds particularly bad. I hope the CD sounds better than what I've been listening to up to this point.

I think Grace Kelly and WAG sound much better on the record and I don't enjoy them live at all except for the true acoustic version of GK at the points gig. Even the acoustic versions of WAG sound strained.

But then there are songs like Any Other World, Happy Ending and Lady Jane that I would always skip on the album but were the highlights of the gig for me.

One of the reasons I think Celebrate is not a bad choice for a single is that he can pull it off in TV performances. The other thing I noticed with this performance is that it is very much tied into the imagery of the video. He seems to be sort of branding himself again like he did with LICM whereas everything associated with TBWKTM was random and not really relevant. I hope he gives up this 1930s NYC bowler hat scene for the same reason. It doesn't reflect this album or his new image at all.

Yes, you've said what I was thinking. Quite a few fans have been saying they want Stardust as a single. Don't get me wrong, it's one amazing song and I love what I've heard of it. But he admitted himself that it's very hard to sing as it's so high.

I remember the times he sang Rain on TV, he didn't always hit the high note right. Probably because of nerves, and it didn't sound as good as it could have done. Since many peoples' experience of Mika is when he's singing on TV, I felt really sad for him.

I'd sooner him release something that he can sing at his best every time he performes it live on TV. Celebrate was great on Strictly. I was really happy for him.

Yes, you've said what I was thinking. Quite a few fans have been saying they want Stardust as a single. Don't get me wrong, it's one amazing song and I love what I've heard of it. But he admitted himself that it's very hard to sing as it's so high.

I remember the times he sang Rain on TV, he didn't always hit the high note right. Probably because of nerves, and it didn't sound as good as it could have done. Since many peoples' experience of Mika is when he's singing on TV, I felt really sad for him.

I'd sooner him release something that he can sing at his best every time he performes it live on TV. Celebrate was great on Strictly. I was really happy for him.

Yes sometimes Rain sounds as an injured cat, but Grace Kelly uses to sound fine and it has falsetto too. Same with Relax... I don´t know, I still love OOL the most in this album, but I think there are better songs than Celebrate. Stardust, Ta Dah, or even LYWID sound to me much more "interesting" than this Pharrell collaboration...

Archived