Tomorrow

mellody

48 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I hate this, it doesn't make sense to me if they don't replace the word at least, it's the same with the song IDGAF by Dua Lipa, sometimes I hear the clean version on the radio and the chorus goes just "I don't give a ...", it's so weird, especially when the song is called IDGAF. :naughty: The same with Beautiful Trauma by Pink, they just removed the swear words in the clean version and the gaps in the lyrics sound so strange. And then they play songs like Whistle by Florida which is really disgusting but no one cares.

:yeah:

It really doesn't make sense! I'm all against censored songs. You can change the word, if you really have to, but erase the whole thing? I don't think people would be shocked by a word they hear and use all the time, to begin with. And, as you say, what about songs with contestable messages? I mean, I'm not an expert of how radios work, but it's pretty ridiculous to me - mostly when there's a beautiful meaning behind what he's saying :dunno:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sara09 said:

It really doesn't make sense! I'm all against censored songs. You can change the word, if you really have to, but erase the whole thing? I don't think people would be shocked by a word they hear and use all the time, to begin with. And, as you say, what about songs with contestable messages? I mean, I'm not an expert of how radios work, but it's pretty ridiculous to me - mostly when there's a beautiful meaning behind what he's saying :dunno:

He could have written "who gives a damn about tomorrow", which conveys the same meaning but without using a word which was bound to get censored on radio.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, silver said:

He could have written "who gives a damn about tomorrow", which conveys the same meaning but without using a word which was bound to get censored on radio.

I'm glad he didn't. And apparently he didn't even want to make a "clean" version in addition, as he did with Popular Song or OOL, for example.

It's just an indicator for the quality of a radio station, in my eyes. :mf_rosetinted: If they think they need to play a clean version, I'll change to another station. Not that I have that problem in Germany with Mika's songs. :aah:

Anyway the fact that it contains a "forbidden" word can make a song even more interesting... I remember the song "F*ck you" by CeeLo Green, it was a big hit - unfortunately many radio stations played the clean version "Forget you", but it just wasn't the same, I was happy to hear the uncensored version on some radio stations.

But really, censoring "shit"?! My 5yo son uses that word all the time! :lmfao::doh:

• Like 8

12 hours ago, silver said:

This wouldve sounded less try hard to me I think :aah:

13 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

I hate this, it doesn't make sense to me if they don't replace the word at least, it's the same with the song IDGAF by Dua Lipa, sometimes I hear the clean version on the radio and the chorus goes just "I don't give a ...", it's so weird, especially when the song is called IDGAF. :naughty: The same with Beautiful Trauma by Pink, they just removed the swear words in the clean version and the gaps in the lyrics sound so strange. And then they play songs like Whistle by Florida which is really disgusting but no one cares.

'Can you blow my whistle' is gentler than 'I want your ice cream' :lmfao:

I personally dont like hearing swear words in pop songs unless the whole song or album contains harsh words or is entirely explicit, but I dont see what random words like 's**t', '####' etc. add to a song - oftenly it actually sounds forced and unnatural :aah:

Edited by ellie

1 hour ago, ellie said:

'Can you blow my whistle' is gentler than 'I want your ice cream' :lmfao:

It isn't just this line, the whole song is trash... Makes me uncomfortable to listen to because it's so bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, sara09 said:

Exactly what I think...

• Like 3

23 hours ago, krysady said:

On Spotify, Google Play... I bought the digital album from Google Play and I could choose from two versions: explicit or clean :aah:

The clean one sounds so weird, they simply removed the word sh*t :doh:

23 hours ago, krysady said:

On Spotify, Google Play... I bought the digital album from Google Play and I could choose from two versions: explicit or clean :aah:

The clean one sounds so weird, they simply removed the word sh*t :doh:

How silly is that :lmfao: If you remove s*** you can imagine it is f*** which is even worst :lmao: I find it funny that it is in the explicit category for that word... 💩 when we can use this smiley here without any problem :biggrin2:

I didn't see the other version on my ap by the way....they must know it wouldn't make sense it France 😎 :floor:

8 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

It isn't just this line, the whole song is trash... Makes me uncomfortable to listen to because it's so bad.

I actually thought the whistle metephor was pretty clever when I heard it, but I also think Ice cream is genius in some parts :roftl:

Dunno maybe Im just the typical target audience for radios, but between a song repeating the word 's**t' for like 9 times and a song full of cringe innuendos I would chose the second. :aah:

1 hour ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I didn't see the other version on my ap by the way....they must know it wouldn't make sense it France 😎 :floor:

Me neither, actually! I wonder what is it based on? Since each country has its own Spotify, for example, is it up to each company to add (or not) the censored version? 

46 minutes ago, sara09 said:

Me neither, actually! I wonder what is it based on? Since each country has its own Spotify, for example, is it up to each company to add (or not) the censored version? 

Oh really? 

There are two versions of the album - clean & explicit and Ive seen it everywhere ( digital stores and streaming I mean ). I thought this is standard practice ( have a visible parental advisory sticker on the artwork or do a double release ) but maybe just in Romania lol.

8 hours ago, ellie said:

Oh really? 

There are two versions of the album - clean & explicit and Ive seen it everywhere ( digital stores and streaming I mean ). I thought this is standard practice ( have a visible parental advisory sticker on the artwork or do a double release ) but maybe just in Romania lol.

Do the CDs in Romania have the Parental Advisory sticker? Here they don't, but I agree that this is standard practice - just maybe the reasons why it has to be done are different in each country? :dunno: I think he doesn't sing "f*ck" anywhere on the album. "Shit" might not be a reason for censoring everywhere. And "whore" isn't in the written lyrics, maybe they didn't notice. :teehee:

8 hours ago, mellody said:

Do the CDs in Romania have the Parental Advisory sticker? Here they don't, but I agree that this is standard practice - just maybe the reasons why it has to be done are different in each country? :dunno: I think he doesn't sing "f*ck" anywhere on the album. "s**t" might not be a reason for censoring everywhere. And "whore" isn't in the written lyrics, maybe they didn't notice. :teehee:

Theres no physical release in Romania but the digital 'explicit' version doesnt have a sticker which is quite funny tbh because you cant tell the difference between the two albums at first glance. :aah:

As far as I know the artists decide if they want a content warning and its usually printed on the cover and distributed everywhere the same; I actually checked with VPN and this clean version seems to be available in other countries too, on streaming at least :dunno:

'Bitch' isnt bleeped out either lol.

Edited by ellie

• 1 year later...

Last week I had to go to hospital to have a tooth extracted. Due to Covid and everything I was by myself. When I came out I was woozy (needed 8 injections for the anaesthetic to take), and a little shaky, as I'm not great with dental procedures. I rang for a taxi, then went to wait outside in the fresh air. It was just starting to rain, a grey mizzle. I found a quiet spot, stood in the light rain, put in my earphones and played "Tomorrow". It was perfect. The instant I heard the opening note, Mika's perfectly smooth voice on the first Tomorrow, I felt myself smile and begin to relax, it was like receiving a warm hug. It was soft and gentle and full of possibility. I love this song. 

• Like 6

Lol, sorry! One of the joys of being a redhead, I usually need more anesthesia. I once had a procedure cancelled as the numbing hadn't taken and the poor dentist didn't dare give me any more. :doh:

• Sad 2