Mika is Missing: Fun Fan Theories

TinyLove_CJ

14 minutes ago, mellody said:

Curious about how close Basel will come to that. It's 1500 people, but it's a cozy setting. Might be similar to Monaco, just with more fans.

There won't be too few fans in Basel, that's for sure. 😅

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this, I was indeed curious how he might feel or motivate himself at such gigs in front of a different audience than his "usual". It is good to always see something positive in everything you do and I suppose that is what you would expect of Mika. I read an (old) article which I found interesting and it made me realize how good business man he is (or he might just have smart advisors, but I guess it is a bit of both): 

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/mika/ 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Martina Josefsson said:

Thanks for sharing this, I was indeed curious how he might feel or motivate himself at such gigs in front of a different audience than his "usual". It is good to always see something positive in everything you do and I suppose that is what you would expect of Mika. I read an (old) article which I found interesting and it made me realize how good business man he is (or he might just have smart advisors, but I guess it is a bit of both): 

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/mika/ 

Interesting article, I can't remember seeing it before (it's well possible that I just forgot). Reading this makes me think again what a shame it was that Stasera Casa Mika never happened in other countries, as Mika had intended. I didn't think about it anymore when he went to focus purely on his music in 2019 ... but apparently the pandemic made him rethink this focus. Can't do concerts during a pandemic, but TV is always an option. Can't blame him that he prefers to play it safe now, the pandemic really changed the world a lot. But although I did love Casa Mika, because you could sort of enter his world through that and it was centered around his music and art, I never really liked Mika as a TV personality. It's, you know, okay, with things like The Piano - especially the first series was really touching and I enjoyed following it. But it's not Mika's world, it's a TV show by someone else that he plays a role in. I think that social media and the internet in general gives artists the option to connect in a much more direct and authentic way to their audience than TV. But probably TV pays better for less effort. And I think Mika never really liked social media, and he didn't go to explore the other options the web offers, so I get why he chose the TV path instead.

It's also interesting to read his opinion about this Lucian guy, this makes me understand some things. In the early years Mika came across as a bit of a rebel against the structures of the music industry and against the superficial people in the business. I loved that and I thought he'd still be like that, just a little less obvious because when you're 40 you're expected to be somewhat more polite and less rebellious than at 20... but he listens to them, he gets worried when they tell him for example that he shouldn't release a French album in the international market. So it was only really promoted in France & Belgium, and he didn't sing the new songs elsewhere (with the one exception of Jane Birkin in Berlin). And I kept thinking WHY does he listen to those people instead of believing in himself and that his fans will love his album, no matter the language. Now apparently there's some industry people he trusts very much. I wasn't aware of that. That Lucian might take 1,5 hours of his time for Mika and he surely is a good businessman, but I bet he knows NOTHING about Mika's fanbase and the connection between Mika and his fans, especially here in Europe. He's a businessman, he looks at the numbers and he can tell Mika the "usual" ways of how to improve the numbers. Just that Mika isn't, and never was, the "usual" artist. Well. Not sure what I wanted to say - probably just that I understand better where some of Mika's decisions might come from, knowing that they might be influenced by this Universal guy. And, writing this down, I'm thinking I might indeed have read that article back in 2017 and thought exactly the same already back then, as it feels slightly familiar now that I wrote it down. :lol3: The French album is just a very obvious proof of that.

• Like 1