The Piano Renewed for Second Series

Kumazzz

Only got round to catching up with the latest episode of The Piano this morning and I'm so glad they decided to do a mentoring episode! I hope they keep that idea for the next series too. Love that Mika and Lang Lang acted more as guides for the pianists and didn't tell them what they can't do but made them realise what MORE they can do for their pieces, everyone showed some level of improvement. Glad Micheal agreed with Mika to drop the strings, his voice and the piano playing alone is more impactful. Brad and Duncan, even just rehearsing got me emotional again!

• Like 6

This was by far my favourite episode, what an insight into the world of the performers.

Daria: Mika recognized the wall immediately and got her to break it down. He knew what to do to get her there, because he has been there as well… It was absolutely amazing to see how Daria metabolized that in just the little snippet right before the concert with the strings. 

9 hours ago, mellody said:

Interesting also what Mika said to Daria about showing things you don't want to show by making music. That is so his British side, in France he doesn't worry so much about it. And maybe that's one reason why he didn't play any of his French songs in the UK, to not show what he doesn't want to show there. :rolleyes: I don't get why he (still) makes this difference, even though he's aware of it meanwhile.

I actually don’t think that is what he’s saying. He is stating it as a fact and telling her she has to be comfortable enough to be naked on stage. 

Completely off topic: having hear him say that in this episode, I think he chose to not play his French song in the UK; not because he is afraid to be naked, I actually think he is more naked with the English setlist. I am going a bit out of a limb here, but multilinguals have different personalities in the languages they speak. They are all facets of who they are, yet very different. I actually told Mika during the signing in Paris how much I loved the new album for this, and he completely agreed. 
His trauma happened in English, it means he will heal his trauma in English. And it makes complete sense why he was on the verge of crying during the UK/Ireland leg of the tour. He would not have been able to do that in French, not this trauma. He wasn’t promoting his new album, he was putting himself back on the map and healing at the same time. 
And of course that sounds very far fetched, but it would honestly be such a beautiful reason :wink2:

Okay back on topic: 

Sum is a brave boy to play a piece that was new to him (not even Lang Lang would do that!), but I have this feeling we are going to be surprised in the best possible way. This is my wish for him!! 

Teddy: I understand they chose Lang Lang to coach him (I would also have loved to be coached by my hero if it would be possible) and they could relate with their own stories about their mums. But I wonder if a session with Mika would’ve gotten the emotion out more. We’ll see next week. 

Michael: I am so relieved and happy for him that Mika understood and truly saw him, right in time for the final performance. The strings didn’t add, it took something away from the piece and from Michael… and for him to be this young and inexperienced to be vocal of what he wants, I’m so glad Mika made that decision for him, because he knew. 

Brad: amazing, just amazing. Honestly if he is not going to be a film composer then I will eat my left shoe. Unlike Daria and Teddy he is at a place where he can express his emotion through the piano and I feel it has just amplified! And he feels it too. I can’t wait to see his performance. 

Alice: she is fangurling so hard in that session with Mika and I absolutely adore her for it!! Also I love how Mika coached her. He is tough love, because he sees the potential and wants to get it out, yet he is encouraging all the same. I agree with him that I feel she can do more. I wish to see it next week. Because that piece has many more colours to it, I am sure. 

Duncan… Mika’s look and words said it all, because it was very apparent that Duncan is slowly fading away. Just typing this makes my heart ache for him and his surroundings. Such a brilliant mind that has composed this very emotional piece, slowly fading… I just hope his heart didn’t forget, and that he will pour it out at the final concert. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

This was by far my favourite episode, what an insight into the world of the performers.

Daria: Mika recognized the wall immediately and got her to break it down. He knew what to do to get her there, because he has been there as well… It was absolutely amazing to see how Daria metabolized that in just the little snippet right before the concert with the strings. 

I actually don’t think that is what he’s saying. He is stating it as a fact and telling her she has to be comfortable enough to be naked on stage. 

Completely off topic: having hear him say that in this episode, I think he chose to not play his French song in the UK; not because he is afraid to be naked, I actually think he is more naked with the English setlist. I am going a bit out of a limb here, but multilinguals have different personalities in the languages they speak. They are all facets of who they are, yet very different. I actually told Mika during the signing in Paris how much I loved the new album for this, and he completely agreed. 
His trauma happened in English, it means he will heal his trauma in English. And it makes complete sense why he was on the verge of crying during the UK/Ireland leg of the tour. He would not have been able to do that in French, not this trauma. He wasn’t promoting his new album, he was putting himself back on the map and healing at the same time. 
And of course that sounds very far fetched, but it would honestly be such a beautiful reason :wink2:

Okay back on topic: 

Sum is a brave boy to play a piece that was new to him (not even Lang Lang would do that!), but I have this feeling we are going to be surprised in the best possible way. This is my wish for him!! 

Teddy: I understand they chose Lang Lang to coach him (I would also have loved to be coached by my hero if it would be possible) and they could relate with their own stories about their mums. But I wonder if a session with Mika would’ve gotten the emotion out more. We’ll see next week. 

Michael: I am so relieved and happy for him that Mika understood and truly saw him, right in time for the final performance. The strings didn’t add, it took something away from the piece and from Michael… and for him to be this young and inexperienced to be vocal of what he wants, I’m so glad Mika made that decision for him, because he knew. 

Brad: amazing, just amazing. Honestly if he is not going to be a film composer then I will eat my left shoe. Unlike Daria and Teddy he is at a place where he can express his emotion through the piano and I feel it has just amplified! And he feels it too. I can’t wait to see his performance. 

Alice: she is fangurling so hard in that session with Mika and I absolutely adore her for it!! Also I love how Mika coached her. He is tough love, because he sees the potential and wants to get it out, yet he is encouraging all the same. I agree with him that I feel she can do more. I wish to see it next week. Because that piece has many more colours to it, I am sure. 

Duncan… Mika’s look and words said it all, because it was very apparent that Duncan is slowly fading away. Just typing this makes my heart ache for him and his surroundings. Such a brilliant mind that has composed this very emotional piece, slowly fading… I just hope his heart didn’t forget, and that he will pour it out at the final concert. 

I love you so much for this comment. I agree with every word. :huglove:

• Like 2

I just finished the episode and I'm a puddle. I didn't expect to cry so much during the mentoring episode?!
Mika has an incredible way of seeing through every performer, their emotions, their needs, their potential, their way of communicating, everything that improves their performances. I'm shocked that it makes such an audible difference.

Especially in Daria who I am completely in love with btw. Cannot wait to see the finale!!! :wub2:

• Like 5

Channel 4

Gogglebox

Friday 3 May 2024

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/gogglebox/on-demand/73368-012

On the Gogglebox this week:

The Piano, The 1% Club, Inside Windsor Castle, Jack Osbourne's Night of Terror, MILF Manor and ITV News (nightlife & Tory MP defection)

YouTube

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SusanT said:

I'm not able to judge how good a performer Alice is but I imagine she was chosen for several reasons. 

1) a 6th performer allowed each judge to mentor 3 pianists

2) there would be 4 male pianists and only 1 female pianist otherwise

3) Alice is also a singer and her song makes you smile ( no sad song here)

4) She is playing an original song

And I hope Brad gets special recognition too. 😊

Maybe we'll get to hear some of the other pianists again at the Christmas special.

Just realized there are 7 pianists!

• Haha 1

I think this mentoring episode was the one I cried most. And the first one.

I love watching Mika mentoring musicians. In The Voice, in X Factor or this one.

So many moments touching my heart.

The first one coming was seeing the Grenoble Summum entrance! I didn't get it at the first second.

My thought was: is there any other venue called Summum in the UK? :lol3:

I new it was Alice to be chosen as the seventh finalist but I couldn't expect that Mika called her when we were queuing outside!

It was the day when I took over the MFC account :bleh:

Daria:  Mika with his "standard" exercises to relax :lol3: jumping, screaming (or barking) . And this thing about to be on stage is like being completely naked in front of the audience.

I remember from the concert in Manchester that what stroke me at one moment was seeing her smile. She was playing piano but like being somewhere else. And she was smiling. 

Seeing Lang Lang coaching Teddy, Sum and Brad was a revelation for me. He feels the music with his all body and explaining music with all his body :lol3:  His history about leaving home and his mom when he was a child. It reminds us that behind all big success arriving as a child (it can be music, it can be sport) is hiding hours of training, lack of time for childhood, and often missing parents. He looked even scared when he learned that Sum wanted to play a new piece of music. The whole work to do to accomplish it.

Alice: I discovered that she is composing songs, she is performing here and there. She has a channel on YouTube. I love her way of singing this "old fashion" way. And she was listening so carefully to Mika's suggestions.

Duncan: I have a feeling that Mika seeing Duncan was reacting maybe similarly when he was with his mom during her illness. Even when she couldn't speak he and his siblings were dancing and singing in front of her. And Mika giving a hug to Duncan ....:crybaby: The way he was talking to him with his soft voice like he didn't want to hurt Duncan with his words. I wonder if Duncan made him think as well about his father... oh, it became a very family connected thread!

Brad: Oh, he makes me cry every time I see him! Stared in Manchester. OMG! I was crying as much as at Lucy's performance!

And his dream to become a movie music composer. Lang Lang was so convincing saying that HE WILL become a great  movie composer!!!! He said it to a guy who never got piano lessons! I don't mention that Brad prepared a piece of music specially for his foster parents.

Teddy's story is unbelievable. A poor boy from Kenya to conservatory and the stage in England.

And the final part when they had to put the show together. I was nervous with all of them :lol3:

Can't wait to watch the final episode even if it means it's the end.

Out of topic:

The place where Mika was rehearsing with his talents is" a London ancient church convention converted into a home combining a stylish contemporary interior with the more traditional architectural elements of the original building, creating something that is undeniably unique".

According to the information I found in the internet it's value is of 5'950'000 pounds property.

https://www.caandesign.com/kenmont-gardens-church-converted-residence-in-london/

image.thumb.png.576e5e988019852561460e9c177f281d.png

image.thumb.png.7464a0eb3872db9f81c2732976d2cbfa.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

And the final part when they had to put the show together. I was nervous with all of them :lol3:

I can imagine!  I think all of us viewers who have been following these episodes will be hoping the pianists  do well in the finale, for their sake and joy. :heart: 

• Like 3

Heat UK - Issue 1297, 8/14 June 2024

page 69

The Piano : The Final

CHANNEL 4, SUN 9 JUNE, 9PM

We’ve been moved by the amateur pianists’ passionate, station-based performances, and we’ve heard what judges Mika and Lang Lang think.
Now, it’s time for the grand final – where things get real. The select seven have to overcome their nerves  and navigate last minute changes before taking to the stage at a packed-out auditorium But who will follow in last year’s winner, Lucy Illingworth’s footsteps and be awarded with the coveted performance of the night?
Claudia Winkleman and her fringe has the answer.

HeatUK8_06.2024_p.69_The_Piano.thumb.jpg.f70cd251c7b3c9d456e7dc09bcdabf8c.jpg

HeatUK8_06.2024_p_69.thumb.jpg.f24c6006d47b98a203fe6d3966077115.jpg

• Like 2

TV Times - 8/14 June 2024

TV-times-8_06_2024-1.jpg.59ae9fb4034f7fd937cb8be17e1800c8.jpg

page 11

KEY notes

Classical musician Lang Lang on The Piano's grand finale

THE PIANO
FINAL SUNDAY, 9PM, C4 ENTERTAINMENT

After a whistle-stop tour of busy station concourses across the country, C4's hit competition The Piano reaches its final destination this week with a sold-out concert at Manchester's Aviva Studios.
Seven budding virtuosos have been chosen by classical pianist Lang Lang and pop superstar Mika to take part in the show-stopping event hosted by Claudia Winkleman.
From 80-year-old Duncan, who lives with dementia, and his heartfelt love song for his wife, to 10-year-old prodigy Sum and his flawless Joseph Haydn sonata, which talented ivory- tickler will be crowned as the night's standout performer?
TV Times caught up with world-famous Chinese pianist Lang Lang, who turns 42 on 14 June, for an exclusive chat about what to expect...

What details can you share about the final concert?

You can expect a concert with a lot of heart and personality as some pianists really challenged themselves with the pieces they played, and there are some brand- new compositions in there, too. These are all amateur pianists who are used to playing for themselves, so to share that from a train station to a concert hall is a special moment for them.

It was a ticketed event. Did that add extra pressure?

I think the real pressure is playing on such a big stage and, for many of them, a bigger piano than they are used to. Having to project and get the sound to the back of the concert hall takes a lot more strength. Being ticketed adds more pressure because people have come with an expectation, but you always want to do your best.

How did the pianists deal with any nerves?

We felt so attached to the contestants' journeys after working with them on their pieces in the build-up, so it was amazing to see how they coped with transferring from a train station to a big stage. As a concert pianist, that's a home from home for me, so I was glad I could offer tips on how to approach playing on a concert- size piano. Mika and I were honoured to be the support act for the night, too.

Have any of the finalists' stories particularly moved you?

Duncan's story, and to see how he expresses his love for his wife, Fran, through the piano and how it helps him with his memory made us all so emotional. I share music and the piano with my wife, Gina, so it was so touching to see that. Then there's Teddy, who's gone from playing on cardboard to being on this show. It's incredible to see how the piano has shaped lives.

This show has struck such a chord with people. What do you think is the secret to its success?

Music really has the power to bring people together, so I'm not surprised that the UK loves it. There's also such a supportive atmosphere on The Piano, as we didn't want to make a show in which people feel judged or pressured.

Why is the piano the best instrument, and do you have any advice for viewers who might be inspired to start playing it?

With the piano, you can be a whole orchestra. Playing it really does mean the world to me. I started playing at the age of two, and the first piece I learnt was the Minuet by Johann Sebastian Bach. My advice would be to go for it! The piano should be for everyone. When you play, make sure you have the balance of practicing the basics, but always make space to play from your heart.

TVTimes8_06.2024_p.44_-1.thumb.jpg.9fd705a90dacc33d99fff5a7e4b68509.jpg

page 44

SUNDAY Highlights

The Piano  LAST ONE

REALITY

9PM, C4
Tear ducts will be glistening across the UK tonight as the curtain falls on series two of The Piano with a special one-off concert in Manchester. Claudia Winkleman hosts the event at Aviva Studios, where seven budding musicians chosen by popstar Mika and classical pianist Lang Lang will perform on stage to a sold-out crowd. We can't wait to hear music graduate Michael's mesmerising vocals once again, as well as Liverpudlian Brad's emotional story and powerful original composition. But who will be awarded with performance of the night? Expect a heartstring-pulling finale that hits all the right notes. ★★★★★ RM

TVTimes8_06.2024_p.44_page-0001-1.thumb.jpg.02bf689291c882a09928a61e10389bce.jpg

TVTimes8_06.2024_p.44_.thumb.jpg.13776056a301521e9ffd62001358d174.jpg

page 47

TVTimes8_06.2024_p.47_ThePiano.thumb.jpg.08aa8b06092431d5e17594e5515b3285.jpg

TVTimes8_06.2024_p_47.thumb.jpg.8bed026f1e21f4c3a57d9de657ba7ca0.jpg

• Like 4

Radio Times 8/14 June 2024

RadioTimes8_06.2024_1-1.jpg.faa79e7c125d9b2e0a92b5f255ebaa9c.jpg

page 49

SUNDAY 9 JUNE

REALITY
The Piano: the Final
9.00pm C4 Catch up: C4 streaming

SERIES FINALE

Prepare for spectacular ivory-tinkling and standing ovations. The finale concert is upon us.
After mentoring from maestros Mika and Lang Lang, the magnificent seven amateur pianists take to the stage at Manchester's Aviva Studios in front of a 2,000-strong crowd. Duncan, who has dementia, has been struggling to remember his notes, while ten-year-old Sum races to learn a Liszt sonata. Self-taught Brad pays tribute to foster carers, Teddy dedicates his piece to his mum in Kenya and Daria issues a rallying cry for Ukraine. Neurodiverse Michael is pure and powerful, while wild card Alice adds a dash of baroque pop. As they overcome nerves and last-minute changes, who will be crowned performer of the night? And will there be a dry eye in the house? It's an emotional climax to a joyous series. MH

RadioTimes8_06.2024_p.51_The_Piano.thumb.jpg.bf72dc4116f4857f6f863d0b847fe7c9.jpg

RadioTimes8_06.2024_p_51.thumb.jpg.facdf8998d553af21b4251747381303f.jpg

page 51

Channel 4

9.00 The Piano: the Final

7/7 Series 2.

The final concert has arrived. The magnificent seven must overcome last-minute changes and battle backstage nerves before playing in front of a sold-out auditorium. Which pianist will be awarded the accolade of performance of the night? Presented by Claudia Winkleman. The first series is available to stream. See page 49.
Executive producer Richard McKerrow; Series editor Ted Hill Repeated Tuesday 7.45pm 4seven and with signing Wednesday 1.05am C4 (S) (AD) (HD)

RadioTimes8_06.2024_p.53_Ch4..thumb.jpg.c45bceb2e3b72986db6d0f05f5cbc842.jpg

RadioTimes8_06.2024_p_53.thumb.jpg.d2eb8ab333d65bb79e41414ebc8cc9d0.jpg

• Like 3

Liverpool Echo

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/scouser-channel-4s-piano-hit-29293316

18:30, 4 JUN 2024

Scouser on Channel 4's The Piano hit 'rock bottom' before life changing moment

Brad Kella was praised for his "immense talent" on the Channel 4 show

A Scouser went from having "absolutely nothing" to becoming a TV sensation.

Brad Kella, 22, from Fazakerley, appeared on The Piano last month. The Channel 4 show sees Claudia Winkleman, pop superstar Mika and pianist Lang Lang tour train stations around the country to hear from the UK’s best amateur pianists.

The team were spotted filming in Lime Street station earlier this year. These scenes were broadcast on May 26, and one performer who stood out was Brad Kella, performing his original piece New Beginning.

In the show, Brad spoke about his difficult upbringing. He said: “When I was growing up, we had no routine. Never went to school. I used to just roam around the streets all day until about 10.30/11pm at night, causing mayhem.

“I got put in foster care when I was seven years old with my twin brother. I was so confused. I remember hanging onto the railings outside my foster parents’ [house] and I didn’t want to go in.”

However, Brad now credits his foster parents Ev and Frank for turning his life around. He said: “What they did for me and my brother was absolutely everything. They’d make sure we were up to start in school, routine, getting up early, going to bed early. They gave me absolutely everything and more.”

Ev and Franks were pivotal in the start of an unlikely musical career, with Ev making up the difference with his care budget to buy a piano. He said: “I never started playing piano until I was 14.

"I can't read music, I’ve never had a lesson in my life. But when I hear music, it's something about it. I feel it differently than normal people.

“Ev put some money in to get a piano. From that moment, my life changed.”

Brad said he used to sit for hours practising the piano and teaching himself. He said: “Once I started playing piano, I stared feeling this unique feeling about myself, that I was my own person.

“I owe it all to my foster parents, because prior to them I had no one there to believe that I would be capable of doing such a thing as playing the piano. They’re the best people in the world.”

In 2020, Brad and his girlfriend Abby became parents themselves with their daughter Phoebe. He explained on the show he was entering the competition for his daughter, as well as to prove encouragement for other children in care.

He said: “I want to show people anything is possible if you believe because I’ve had everything against me. Some people think my story is a sad one. The best thing about my story - it's not finished yet. I don't think its going to end in a sad story.

“Kids in care are just treated as a number. I feel like I could be a voice for kids like that.

“There’s a new beginning for everyone. You just need to search for it.”

His performance was praised, with Mika saying it was “brilliant”. When Brad was told he'd made it through to the final, he said: "It's been absolutely mad being here. Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity, I won't let you down."

Brad has since taken to social media to say he has overcome difficult periods in his life and thanked viewers for their support. On one Instagram post, he said: “There was a point in my life where I had absolutely nothing and was completely at rock bottom struggling to get by on a day to day basis…. But now I’m looking at life in a way I never thought would be possible.

“The last few months have been life changing and with so many more opportunities on the way I know it’s going to get even better for me and my family. Thank you all for all of the constant support and love you show me, it doesn’t go unnoticed.”

Fans were quick to share their support for Brad. One said: “No words for the true immense talent you have, you should be so proud of yourself, cannot wait to watch the rest of your journey, outstanding.”

Another said: “Brad, you are extremely talented and very special, the world needs to hear all about you and the beautiful music that you have composed, your music speaks to the heart and soul. You have a very bright future ahead of you.”

A third person added: “So so amazing! Just watched The Piano. Your music is so moving and you are a real star. To show such courage and emotion is absolutely inspiring. Very best of luck to you and all your family.”

The final episode of this series of The Piano will be shown this Sunday, June 9, on Channel 4 at 9pm.

4_Brad-Kella-from-The-Piano.thumb.jpg.11841e9c4e7963cd916825648b38ac32.jpg

• Like 4

Closer UK – Issue 1111, 8/14 June 2024

Closer_UK_8_06_2024_p.68-2.jpg.725f877a116eb075e06b33ca53cc6b36.jpg

page 68

THE PIANO : THE FINAL
SUN 9 JUNE, 9PM, C4

The remaining super-talented amateur pianists find out who wins.

With judges Mika and Lang Lang, and hostess with the hostess Claudia Winkleman.

Closer_UK_8_06_2024_p.68_thepiano.thumb.jpg.b2144ae27ee048c4f7b8f1a735cc8ed3.jpg

Closer_UK_8_06_2024_p_68.thumb.jpg.f82e220bb3bcd5f8c9698bb137097da7.jpg

• Like 2

Inside Soap UK - Issue 23, 8 June 2024

inside-soap-uk-8_06_2024-.jpg.5f26169b332c4679789adeb1554919ff.jpg

page 68

THE PIANO: THE FINAL

Channel 4  9PM

After weeks of visiting train stations across the land to find new pianoplaying talent, mentors Mika and Lang Lang can but watch on as the final seven pianists step out in front of a sold-out crowd at the Aviva Studios in Manchester.

Who will win performance of the night?

InsideSoapUK8_06.2024_thepiano_.thumb.jpg.97b21e127bd122ad05a2b5cecf237999.jpg

inside-soap-uk-8_06_2024-p_86.thumb.jpg.129998ad7472258355c150a22a4a127b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Lang Lang is a world-class pianist but he's still able to  enjoy other people's music and shows it. I like that. 😊

• Like 3

That was an amazing episode! Lang Lang was such a good mentor. I like to think he has been hanging around this forum to watch all of Mika's mentoring episodes for the Voice :lol3:. Well if he did it certainly paid off.

Mika knocked Daria's wall down with just one sentence. You could see it happening, very powerful. His sensitivity to what people need to hear always impresses me.

I thought it was entertaining and it might have been cut that way to get the tension up for the viewers, but his sensitivity seemed not to be present at the last rehearsal. I am curious if anyone agrees. His face was tense and he seemed to be holding back his perfectionism. All of the performers are vulnerable in their own way and knocking the wall down does not work for everyone. Some of them need positive reinforcement to build confidence to climb over that wall instead. And Mika seemed not to be able to do that att that time which I totally understand on the day before the concert. I loved how Claudia managed that rehearsal! 

I am also certain that Mika will show this sensitivity again on the day of the concert. He will probably say Merde Merde and let it go. The fact he took away the strings at the last moment shows it. Mika's sensitivity teaches me to listen to music in a different way. To trust more on my own feelings. He is the reason I listen to music from all over the world in languages I don't understand. It is about feeling the emotion. I love how he showed that to me, just by seeing him mentoring others. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bren said:

I thought it was entertaining and it might have been cut that way to get the tension up for the viewers, but his sensitivity seemed not to be present at the last rehearsal. I am curious if anyone agrees. His face was tense and he seemed to be holding back his perfectionism. All of the performers are vulnerable in their own way and knocking the wall down does not work for everyone. Some of them need positive reinforcement to build confidence to climb over that wall instead. And Mika seemed not to be able to do that att that time which I totally understand on the day before the concert. I loved how Claudia managed that rehearsal! 

Actually I did notice what you are describing, but I have interpreted it differently.

Both Mika and Lang Lang are musicians who have had years and years of rigorous training to become the best versions of themselves, with a lot of blood, sweat and tears. If you want to be the best you can’t be nice about it. I think Mika said on The Voice France that he didn’t understand why people wanted to choose him as a coach, because he is known to make the contestants cry. And not because he wants to hurt them, but because he is doing the exact same thing his teachers have demanded from him: if you want to make it your profession, you need to put in the blood, sweat and tears. 

I actually think Mika was really quite mild to the contestants, because he understands that they are amateurs there to have a good time and he has to try to get the best out of them without discouraging them. I think he shows great sensitivity in that regard: he is harsher to Alice, because he knows she can take it. He is being very soft and kind to Michael, because he knows that he is already suffering from anxiety and if he would push him more, he would’ve likely pushed him over the edge.

But yes: the musician and hardcore coach in him is holding back, greatly. And poor thing that his facial expression is like an open book, because that is what we see :lol3:

And it’s a good thing Claudia was there to mother them, it is a perfect mix and balance of energies that way for the contestants (or participants actually, it’s not a competition, fortunately).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I think he shows great sensitivity in that regard: he is harsher to Alice, because he knows she can take it

I agree with you that Mika showed sensitivity by holding back, but I'm wondering if Alice really can take it. It seemed to me that she is extremely motivated and open for feedback but her nerves might need a softer approach. I am very curious how they will do at the concert! I know you already know 😉

• Like 1